FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crash Tax ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crash Tax ??
    Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 7:23am
Several towns and muncipalities in Ohio are suppose to have a "crash tax",anyone know if Middeltown has it and how much it is ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 7:50am
Doesn't Middletown Bill everyone for the ride to the hospital whether you live here or not?  Don't think thay have a crash tax., but it was discussed that Middletown does bill you if your have a house fire, etc. for the Depts. time.  I believe the outcome of the discussion is that if your insurance doesn't pay, they don't push it on the homeowner at this time.  You would think your taxes would cover this.  Look for the "Crash Tax" coming to a municipality near you.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 8:00am
Yeah most cities do charge for fire runs but the crash tax is billed to your insured motorist "only". The fees can be as high as $400. What they are finding in this case is that it's double taxation and it's illegal. But certain companies are making a large profit by getting cities to sign on to do this. Most cities that have done it are also eliminating the law. It's akin to the red light camera scam. Some cities have also instituted a DUI response fee. If you get pulled over for a "possible" DUI you can be forced to pay a fee up to $250.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 8:39am
I believe that Middletown does send the fire dept. to every fender-bender and bills $600 for this "service". The year this program was put in place, the number of runs went from 2000+ a year to about 8000 runs per year. And yes I think they still do this, even after the double taxation question was brought up. I think that they do not push collection because of a court case, but I don't remember all of the details.
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 11:30am
WHAT!!!!  Are you telling me that if my house catches fire the city is gonna charge me to come put it out even though I pay my taxes? What the *** do I pay taxes for ? So if my house doesn't catch fire or I don't take a run to the hospital can i send the city a bill asking for some of money back? It's only fair!!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by here&now here&now wrote:

WHAT!!!!  Are you telling me that if my house catches fire the city is gonna charge me to come put it out even though I pay my taxes? What the *** do I pay taxes for ? So if my house doesn't catch fire or I don't take a run to the hospital can i send the city a bill asking for some of money back? It's only fair!!

Oh yeah,the taxes you pay go towards salary since almost everyone working for the city makes $70,000 or more a year. They have to charge a fee to cover everything else. LOL
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2009 at 12:09am
Hey Nick, where do you get your numbers?

Members of the fire department are not involved in billing and do not use billing as a criteria to respond to emergencies.

The collection of "fire fees" began in 2004 and the department responded to 8045 emergencies in that year.  City Council passed an ordinance to rescind those fees in October of 2008.  In 2008 the department responded to over 10,000 emergencies.  Using your logic, run volume for 2009 should be way down (around the beginning number of 2000 you quoted?) but guess what........run volume for 2009 is above the 2008 levels.

Oh yeah, in 2000, fours years before this fire fee program began, the department responded to 7423 emergencies.

I don't mind you being upset with the way the City is being run.  In the future please try to use the correct information.  Some people on this board take whatever is written here to be gospel.

If you ask, members of the fire department are more than happy to give you any information you want.

Ashkicker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic