Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 26, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whose running for Middletown Council this fall?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whose running for Middletown Council this fall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whose running for Middletown Council this fall?
    Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 5:21pm
MIDDLETOWN CITY - 1st Ward Council

P     James Armbruster     4824 Longford Drive     Middletown, Ohio 45042     513-425-0269     513-424-1661

MIDDLETOWN CITY - 2nd Ward Council

P     John P. Soppanish     1110 Lafayette Ave     Middletown, Ohio 45044     513-727-1631
P     Leslie Ford     833 Seventeenth Avenue     Middletown, Ohio 45044     513-393-0825
P     Andrew Smith Jr.     601 Sixteenth Avenue     Middletown, Ohio 45044     513-348-6434

MIDDLETOWN CITY - 3rd Ward Council

F     Anthony Marconi     4521 Rosedale Rd     Middletown, Ohio 45042     513-423-2502
P     Joshua E. Laubach     2401 Flemming Rd     Middletown, Ohio 45042     513-267-4960

MIDDLETOWN CITY - 4th Ward Council

P     Geri Lynn Maples     3200 Barbara Drive     Middletown, Ohio 45044     513-435-2504     
P     Daniel Picard     2804 Sherman Ave     Middletown, Ohio 45044     513-423-4063     513-267-9537

P= Pulled Petition
F= Filed

source: Butler County Board of Elections
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:16pm
so if everyone pulled their petition does this mean we will not have a city council??? Hmmmmm interesting
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:37pm
Da:  No!  To "pull" a petition simply means that one has gone to the board of elections to obtain the forms necessary to gather the signatures required to get their name on the ballot for a specific office for a specific election date.  It carries no other obligation or right, however one cannot get one's name on the ballot without "pulling" petitions, obtaining the required number of signatures of registered voters from the area in which he will be running,  and "filing" the petitions with the signatures.  The Board of Elections then verifies that at least the required number of VALID registered voters have signed, certifies the petitions, and the candidates name will be on the ballot in that election , for that position.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 8:23pm
C'mon 1st Ward people. Someone- anyone - got to provide opposition to Armbruster. Get something from your Ward rep besides park, tree, pool and citizens group talk. You want someone who wants to dig deeper into the troubles of the town than that, don't you? This guy is wasting a slot on Council that could be occupied by a person who really wanted to attack the problems. 3rd Ward folks- let's listen to Joshua Laubach and see if he has some words of wisdom or we are doomed with another term of listening to Marconi talk, but seeing Marconi do little to address the many problems. He's wasting our time with his misdirected efforts. 2nd Ward- Hey! You folks have probably had enough of Ford haven't you? Can you think of anything significant that she has done? Fairly drab isn't she? Time to try someone new perhaps? AJ- John- you know what to do. 4th Ward- Someone new for a change. The end of the Schiavone influence in that area of town. LETS CHANGE IT ALL IN NOVEMBER.
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 9:27pm
Oh ok did not make since to me thanks Mike. 
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 9:29pm
oh year what are the qualifications to run for City Council?  I asked Miss Viv this and she did not know for sure
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 9:57pm
CURRENT QUALIFICATIONS

1)  willingness to obey (without questioning) the dictates of the Queen of Middletown;

2)  ability to smile, tell so-called funny stories, compliment your fellow members and to ramble on and on about minutiae;

3)  commitment to protecting the throne of the Queen at all costs; and,

4) to mimick the movie character "Pinball Wizard" from the rock opera "TOMMY" released in the 1970's!  That is, to hear nothing, see nothing or understand anything that concerned Middletonians may bring to their individual or collective attention!AngryAngryAngry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 6:18am
We can change all of this in November. We need to elect "Sauter-like" question askers and encourage them to delve into the Gilleland government with the intent to expose the "secret little agenda" that she and others have created. Then, hopefully, the new Council will start to investigate and correct the many clusters that have accumulated. Perhaps, after the smoke clears, we will be able to see some of the city building directors in various departments leave Middletown for the final time as we replace them with competency and openness. If Ms. Gilleland survives, hopefully she will get the message that she needs to change or she too, will be heading to I-75 for the last time. Most of these people need to be in the same situation that Price finds himself in now.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 8:01am
Originally posted by da120757 da120757 wrote:

oh year what are the qualifications to run for City Council?  I asked Miss Viv this and she did not know for sure

First, I must advise you that I am NOT an attorney, and what follows is my personal OPINION ONLY!!!

I seem to recall a requirement in either a previous version of our City Charter or a previous codification of our City Ordinances that one was required to be “an elector of the city” or “an elector of the ward” (depending upon whether one was running for an at-large or ward seat) for “at least one year” as a prerequisite to running for Middletown City Council. However, I can no longer find ANY requirements of ANY sort at all in the latest version of either document now.

(As an aside, I wish that I would have noticed this before the Charter Review Committee finished this work. Perhaps they could have included appropriate requirements for we citizens to impose this November.)

If the forgoing is the case, I believe that the provisions of the Ohio Revised Code still govern:

Members of the “legislative authority of a municipal corporation” (this is the two-dollar term for “city council”) shall be electors of the municipal corporation. They shall not hold any other public office or employment, except that of notary public or member of the state militia, or state or county central committeeman of a political party, or state or county executive committeeman of a political party, or state or county officer of a political party, and shall not be interested in the profits or emoluments of any contract, job, work, or service for the municipal corporation. Any member who ceases to possess any of the qualifications required by this section shall forthwith forfeit his office.

In plain English, this means that one must be a registered voter in the city (or ward, if running for a ward seat),and that if one moves out of that jurisdiction, or if you are involved in any way in dealings with the city, you automatically resign. It also means that you are NOT allowed to hold any other public office at the same time as you are a city council member. However, no one in Middletown pays much attention to this except me, and they all hold (and even APPOINT THEMSELVES to) whatever other offices they think look good on their resumes and might help them gain higher offices, so don’t let a little thing like “conflicts of interest” stop you from running in Middletown.

I’m sure that the City Law Director’s Office can help you find a loophole around the pesky residency requirement if need be as well. It seems to mean nothing for any of the boards and commissions in Middletown any longer.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 9:05am
thanks guys
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 1:00pm
Its tough to find good people to run. I don't think we should let Armbruster run unopposed.

I'd like to get council to post here so they may speak and clarify what they say in council sessions.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

Its tough to find good people to run. I don't think we should let Armbruster run unopposed.
You are exactly correct!!  We desperately need one common sense, no nonsense, honest candidate from each ward!!  (No lawyers or politicians, please!)
Originally posted by Jonathan Haller Jonathan Haller wrote:

I'd like to get council to post here so they may speak and clarify what they say in council sessions.
That would be great, Mr. Haller, but good luck trying to accomplish it!  I doubt that we presently have even one member of city council willing to engage citizens on ANY even playing field!!!  They MUST have complete control or they will be embarrassed and made to look foolish by their lack of judgement and their foolish decisions during their tenures at city hall.

Our local elected leaders will only engage if they can cut off the citizens and then reply without rebuttal!!!

That is why they keep trying to meet when no outsiders are around, and then vote without discussion.  It is also why they think they can "allow" citizens to attend meetings and ask for RSVPs!!!  These are absolutely DISGUSTING actions!!!
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 7:16am
Mike, I spoke to Armbruster yesterday on this topic and he claimed theire was no such thing as a registration required. He seemed a bit suprized that anyone thought that was necessary.
Where did that information come from? I haven't checked with Ms. Parr yet this morning but will do so as soon as she comes in.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 7:28am
Mr. Wood I posted the info about the RSVP on this site as it came from the City of Middletown Web Site right on the front page

NOTICE OF MEETING

CONVERSATION WITH COUNCIL

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

6:00 P.M.

The Manchester Inn

Little Miami Ballroom

1027 Manchester Avenue

Middletown, OH 45042

The public is invited to an evening of Conversation with Council hosted jointly by James

Armbruster (Ward 1) and Leslie Ford (Ward 2) at The Manchester Hotel at 6 pm on Tuesday,

June 30, 2009.

Conversations with Council are informal gatherings designed to give residents of Middletown an

opportunity to discuss issues that may come before council. Charter Review Committee

members have been invited to attend to present the recommendations for amendments to

Middletown’s Charter.

The Charter Review Committee Report and the Legislation coming before Council on July 7,

2009 for second readings are all posted to the city’s website at www.cityofmiddletown.org and

are available through the Law Department or Council Office on the third floor of the City

Building, One Donham Plaza, Middletown, Ohio. If you plan to attend this Conversation with

Council, please RSVP to betsyp@cityofmiddletown.org

For more information, contact:

Betsy Parr, Clerk of Council at 513-425-7831 betsyp@cityofmiddletown.org

Or

Leslie Landen, Law Director at 513-425-7830 lesl@cityofmiddletown.org

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 7:54am
Thanks Mike,  I'll look into it further. Seems like another non-user friendly move by council members. However, I am pleased to see a new attempt at "conversations with council".
I made that suggestion in my last column in Sunday the 7th. in the MJ. Sounds like a re-election ploy by 2 of 3 candidates running for re-election this fall.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 12:55am

Another candidate for Middletown City Council

By Ed Richter | Thursday, June 25, 2009, 12:03 AM

Looks like another person has an interest in becoming a member of Middletown City Council.

According to the Butler County Board of Elections, Daniel Picard of Sherman Avenue has recently taken out petitions to run for the 4th Ward council seat being vacated by incumbent Councilman David Schiavone.

The only other person who has taken out petitions for the 4th Ward seat is Geri Lynn Maples of Barbara Drive. Maples ran two years ago for an at-large seat and also sought appointment to council when there were vacancies a few years ago.

As of now three of the four council seats that are up this fall could be contested. The only seat that has yet to see a second candidate emerge is in the 1st Ward which is currently held by incumbent Vice Mayor Jim Armbruster of Longford Drive.

In the 2nd Ward, there could be two challengers to incumbent Councilwoman Leslie Ford of 17th Avenue. Those challengers who have also taken out petitions include John Soppanish of Lafayette Avenue and A.J. Smith Jr. of 16th Avenue.

Smith, who worked as a campaigner for the Obama campaign, has recently launched a Web site, www.smithformiddletown.com. There supporters can also learn more about him as well as make a campaign contribution via credit card in amounts ranging from $10 to $1,000 or more.

Although he has announced his intentions to run against Ford and has taken out petitions several weeks ago, Smith is planning to make a formal announcement of his candidacy at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 27 at the Poppin Buttons Restaurant at the corner of Minnesota Street and 16th Avenue.

Over in the 3rd Ward, incumbent Councilman Tony Marconi of Rosedale Road may have opposition by Joshua Laubach of Flemming Road. However, Marconi is still the only candidate that has already filed his petitions.

One thing that could make this election season more interesting would be to see some of the more vocal critics of council step up and run for one of the four empty seats. That could be another way to facilitate change for the community by sharing their ideas and see how the voters feel about those ideas being advanced.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 8:05am
So Mr. Wood what is the deal with the RSVP since you volunteered to Check into it?Thumbs%20Up
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 8:24am
Mr. Richter states:

"One thing that could make this election season more interesting would be to see some of the more vocal critics of council step up and run for one of the four empty seats. That could be another way to facilitate change for the community by sharing their ideas and see how the voters feel about those ideas being advanced."

Pacman Says:

A far faster way to Facilitate change in Middletown would be if the Middletown Journal and it's reporters did their jobs and actually delved into what has been happening to Middletown just over the last 10 years.  Some topics for you Mr. Richter:

1)  Section 8---why has no one from the MJ gone to the City gotten a hold of the letters and reports that escalated Section 8 to the level it is at today and WHO DID IT?  Why has no one from the MJ ever done an in depth story on Section 8 that I can remember in Middletown?  Why does Middletown have 1 Section 8 voucher for every 31 residents?  Why has the MJ not interviewed anyone on council about Section 8 and the fact that they spent 2.5 years trying to get a contract ironed out?  Why has no one ever interviewed City Council and the City Manager as to why we are the Section 8 capital of the SW Ohio and possibly Ohio period?  I can't think of a better time to go ask these question of Mr. Marconi and get some answers for the Citizens before November.  But the MJ won't and I have to ask, WHY NOT?  But then the MJ won't answer that either.

2)  Poverty same as above no one form the MJ has ever gone and done a story about this disaster in the City.  Basically same questions as above.

3)  Business retention once again the MJ and it's reporters ask and do nothing.

4)  HUD issues once again nothing.

5)  Schools once again no in dept reporting just the usual PR release sent from the School system.

6)  Infrastructure why has it gotten to the point it has?  What is being done other than considering a $500k bike path, etc?

7)  Downtown another topic that deserves an in depth look and not just from the rah rah crowd standpoint.

8)  Ed actually take some of the concerns from this board and go ask City Council about them

9)  Ed instead of after the next City Council meeting just going back and typing verbatim what was said do an interview with a Council Member or two and give us some meat and not just fluff? 

10)  Charter Changes we get nothing from the MJ about this other than regurgitation of the minutes to the meetings.

I could go on but you get the point and please don't tell me, well Ed is a nice guy as this has absolutely nothing to do with whether Ed is a nice guy.  It has everything to do with the MJ turning itself back into a real Newspaper, one that investigates and reports the News of this City to the Citizens that deserve to know what is actually going on in this city. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 8:43am
You are, of course, correct again, Pacman!

And please consider Mr. Richter's last paragraph:

"One thing that could make this election season more interesting would be to see some of the more vocal critics of council step up and run for one of the four empty seats. That could be another way to facilitate change for the community by sharing their ideas and see how the voters feel about those ideas being advanced."
That is NOT "reporting"!  That is OPINION...EDITORIALIZING!!!  Now I am NOT saying that Mr. Richter should not do so...that is certainly between him and his employer.  But it certainly does seem to indicate that he has some degree of latitude in his "reporting". 

By the way, and with all due respect Mr. Richter:  If you had only followed this blog, you could have had this big news story on Mr. Picard pulling petitions THREE DAYS AGO!!  That would have left you some time to do some "investigative reporting" on the other stories that you might read HERE FIRST!!!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 8:53am
And another thing, Mr. Richter!!!
Exactly how do you propose that these "more vocal critics of council" go about "sharing their ideas with the community"???

Those without the financial backing and other resources of "Moving Middletown Forward" can hardly be expected to compete fairly.  They CERTAINLY will NOT get the same air time on TVMiddletown (paid for by WE, the PEOPLE) or be allowed to drone on and on at council meetings or other "conversations" arranged by city employees!!!

Why don't YOU look into THAT!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 9:07am
I humbly apologize to all of the regular readers of this forum, and to Mr. Richter, for losing my temper and going on that brief rant.

While I am sorry for the form, I do not apologize for the sentiment.  All too often those who are actually trying to bring the problems to the forefront in order to find solutions are savagly criticized by those who prefer to ignore the problems in order to squander our precious resources on needless or useless imaginings.  This MUST end, and we MUST both face our problems and find proper solutions if we are to survive as a city.

None of the foregoing, however, justifies me losing my temper or for attacking Mr. Richter.  For that I DO apoligize.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 9:10am
It is called being Human Mike.Thumbs%20Up
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 9:41am
Pacman,

Spoke to Armbruster again yesterday and he still claims there is no need for an RSVP.
I think Betsy Parr is gone untill next week and the law dept knows nothing.
I and others will be there RSVP or not.
Arn't we all beating this topic to death. Let's move on.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 9:46am
Mike Presta said "That is NOT "reporting"!  That is OPINION...EDITORIALIZING!!!  Now I am NOT saying that Mr. Richter should not do so...that is certainly between him and his employer.  But it certainly does seem to indicate that he has some degree of latitude in his "reporting". 

Hi Mike - with all due respect, the article you are referring to is Ed's BLOG - a much different format than a story you would read in the paper in which blogging is exactly that: opinion and editorializing...farbeit for me to defend the MJ but in this case, Ed has the right to say/write what he did.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2009 at 10:03am
Beating what topic to death?  I was simply curious as to your findings as to why the City's announcement said you must RSVP if you are coming to a Public Meeting and now in usual fashion no one knows anything, not even the person who you are suppose to RSVP to.  Personally I find it comical.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic