FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voices of Color: The Superintendent Search

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voices of Color: The Superintendent Search
    Posted: Jul 03 2009 at 7:20pm
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 4:28pm
It's good that there is a discussion going on but it seems limited in some way.

I hope we can find a superintendent who is more openminded and accessible to the people. Perhaps we could get a post or two on here from the candidates and after we choose that person may share more school information with us.

Whoever takes this job is going to have their work cut out for them.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 6:53pm
Of the 5 choices that the MJ refers to, the most logical choice is Norris Brown for interum super. He is a no nonsense sort of guy that knows know how to make students obey the rules. In his eyes everyone is equal. No special treatment
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 7:37pm
My thoughts exactly John and that is why I posted it here, hopefully more people will see it here.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 7:47pm
Nooris Brown?
Black gentleman that used to be the pricipal?
If he is the person mentioned, then he is a VERY bad choice.
If he is in the running, then I will go to a board meeting and speak against him, giving specifics.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 9:55pm
He's better than Diane Suiter!
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2009 at 9:57pm
So go state away Spider! He has the support of many teachers, because he supports disipline and holds teachers and students accountable! Oh and might I mention atheletes too! So go state away there Spider!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 6:34am
Didn't Norris Brown occupy a position as a Director in the school system at one time? Didn't he retire and if so, wouldn't we have another "double-dipper" in the school system if he was selected? Isn't there something inherently wrong with that concept? Just like Tom York, who retired, making the rounds of the area schools from Edgewood to Madison, Brown would be another retread put back on the car. As with Council, we are never going to get new ideas, approaches and RESULTS, if we keep placing the same old players on the field. New blood on Council and the school board and new blood in key positions within the schools!!!! Put the same old/ tired old ideas to rest and change direction in the city and in the schools, 'cause, let's face it, the direction we're going now, ain't cuttin' it!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 7:08am
When Mr.Brown was principal, I was very involved in a co-op program with MHS students.
Found out that a MHS student was ripping me off to the tune of a couple thousand $$$.
Brought in the counselor, detectives et al. Laid out overwhelming evidence. Everyone agreed as to what had happened, based on what was shown. Student was terminated, and I was told was removed from the program. Police hesitated to press charges due to a minor, and the school program.

Mr.Brown gave the student a high grade and documented them as completing the program/year successfully. Never contacted me at ant time.

When I ?ed the counselor later, they replied that Mr.Brown whitewashed the whole issue because he didn't want any bad publicity and also wanted the program to show tremendous success without any problems. The counselor was near retirement and powerless/pressured to go along with the "cover-up" That is how Mr.Brown ran MHS.

So--it sounds a lot like DR.Price, doesn't it?
No student responsibility for their actions, and sacrificing the public and integrity for phony positive results.SEEMS LIKE WE WOULD PICK UP RIGHT WHERE WE LEFT OFF AS FAR AS CREDIBILITY AND DISCIPLINE, All a sham as usual.

If someone on the board reads this, I hope they contact me. 
If he is chosen, then I am done with the system, because nothing(other than color of the super) will change.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 7:29am
Typical of Middletown- a program is started- participants are selected- a bad apple or two get into trouble and abuse the privilege of participation- the infraction is brought to the attention of the authorities- an investigation ensues- guilt is determined as to the participant- the whole matter is covered up so as not to negatively blemish the program and risk giving the program directors a black eye and a reason to disband the program making some influential person look bad in the eyes of the public. The public is duped once again and the truth is never known to the public. Secretive, manipulative, untrustworthy leaders in this community at their best!!!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 9:23am

Spider -

I think you have the wrong Mr. Brown. 

There was an Afro-American man by the name of James Brown who was principal at MHS in the early to mid 1990s after Guy Poppelwell.  He didn’t last too long.  Was well liked in the beginning, but lost the confidence of many. 

I think Gary Perkins was next followed by the current principal.

If Norris Brown was principal, it would have had to been in prior to Poppelwell, which would place him in the 1980s.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2009 at 10:50am
I hope that you are correct, swohio.
This situation went pretty far back(maybe the mid-late 80s or 90s)
A Mr.Brown was the principal being a black man known to be a disciplinarian.

I was told that the student would be failed due to dismissal from the program, then surprised by the principal's deception to protect the program at all cost. As a long-time participant in these programs, I was very disappointed to be treated in such a way.

With the school system suddenly(and deceptively) refusing to co-operate, the police dept. backed off on pressing charges.

So--it left me on my own, ripped off and crapped on by the school system, particularly principal Brown. Typical
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic