FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well, there you have it!! Fairly predictable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well, there you have it!! Fairly predictable
    Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 6:49am
Council has shot down the Charter Review Committee's recommendations for the Ward system elimination, the term limits, hiring from outside for the chief's positions, and reducing the current seven person council number to five. These proposals will not go to the voters as they should do. This system doesn't work as it removes the choices for the citizens. This whole procedure of a 10 year review should be retained but the approval of Council should be removed from the procedure and these Charter recommendations should go directly to the voters. Council should have no right in being the judge, jury and executioner of the choices as to how the citizens want their town to run. This method only puts the "patients in control of the asylum" because it allows these inept leaders to dictate how the city is to be run by picking and choosing the choices for the people. IMO, The people's rights are being taken away at this time.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 6:57am
Hey Vet whatcha Bitchin about you still get to vote whether or not to make the Charter Gender neutral.....LOL.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 7:29am
You're correct Pac! Pretty important stuff, this gender neutral topic.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 8:12am
Gray skies are going to clear up, put on a happy face?LOL

Look on the bright side of life Middletonians?LOL

HUD stimulus funds to turn Middletown into Indian Hill?LOL

A chicken in everybody's pot?LOL

As Alfred E. Newman would say, "what, me worry?"Confused
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 8:59am
All I can say is vote em out in Nov. Clean house every one up for re-election needs too go then we can start rebuilding our town as th citizens want. Arise Middletonians lets take our city back in Nov.
MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 8:34pm
OK  ladies and gents.....There was much more to the 4 ward / council 5/7  question than met the eye. Do you remember who chose Slagel and Scorti to serve on the Charter Commission? Handy for support in the next election. That aside, Those two and two more ... Nenni and Picard dominated the committee. They came up with the solution to the obvious conflect between 7 vs. 5 vs. at-large vs ward.  They walked in with the plan.
which they sold as the only workable solution to the two pesky issues. Since they were there to dump the ward system, they promoted the concept of combinning the two (which was all that could be done if both question were to be put to the public at the same time )  You can be certain the senior / conservative voters (largest block of)would walk into the voting booth and pull the lever for less government. (conservatives/republican's matra) However what also would happen is we would get an "at large" / no "ward system" of local government. Very clever. With the great majority of reliable voters coming from the 3rd ward, they would not see nor feel any change in their representation. Remember the majority of council members even today, live in the 3rd ward.... some on the same street.
 JMO.    
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by MerrellWood MerrellWood wrote:

Since they were there to dump the ward system,  Remember the majority of council members even today, live in the 3rd ward.... some on the same street.
 JMO.    

Thank You! It was obvious to me that whole process was to get the "dumb" People out of City government so the "smart" people could go about the business of running the City as they saw fit!

It was an Elitist move in my opinion!
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:03pm
And did I mention that all current ward reps who are running for re-election would have been grandfathered into the new council structure since the proposed change (back to at-large) would not take effect for more than 3 years. (I think I'm right on that number, but I do know it's long after the issue is decided.)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:45pm
Who are the 4 council members that live in the 3rd ward?  I assume you are counting the Mayor since he has a vote in everything.  I don't see 4 Council Members living in the 3 rd ward, but you claim a majority do.

Marconi and Scott-Jones are ward 3 different streets.
Armbruster and Becker Ward 1
Schiavone ward 4
Ford and Mulligan Ward 2

On the maps Mulligan is close can't tell for sure whether Ward 1 or 2 but looks like 2 using google and city ward map.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:56pm
Marconi and Scott-Jones live in Ward 3
Armbruster and Becker live in Ward 1, but only one long block away from Ward 3
Schiavonne Lives in Ward 4, but if he crosses the street he would be standing in Ward 3
Ford and Lawrence P. Mulligan, Jr., live in Ward 2, but Mulligan is only a block or two away from Ward 1
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 10:36pm
You guys are so picky .....Sorry, I guess I was thinking and correct in my impression that they are all from that end of town, espically with 2 on 1 street that almost boarders the 3rd ward. Anyway, I'm more interested in your views on my last post....Confused
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 11:05pm
STIMULUS, SCHMIMULUS -- FEDERAL MONEY RAINS ON MIDDLETOWN FROM HEAVEN ABOVE!!

Middletown%20Ctiy%20Council%20Election

All is well citizens!  All is well in Middletown!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 4:05am

GROUCHO MARX ANALYZES THE CITY OF MIDDLETOWN BRAINTRUST

1)  Who are you going to believe, us or your own eyes?
2) 
We don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like us as members.
3)  Those are our principles, and if you don't like them... well, we have others.

REST IN PEACE GROUCHO 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 5:49am
Mr. Wood it is not about being picky it is about being as accurate as possible so that we have some credibility in what we post.  Some of these topics are tough to wade thru all of the informtaion such as HUD and I have made mistakes at time in posting incorrect info when it comes to HUD. I just try to be as accurate as possible.  Council already thumbs their noses at us, no need to give them ammo to do it more.  JMHO.Thumbs%20Up
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 5:59am
Smokey, Middletown and the HUD Money is something like this, the Citizens are Costello:

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 8:15am

What's going on in Middletown?

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 8:36am
"Council already thumbs their noses at us, no need to give them ammo to do it more. "
Pacman.... Thanks for the advice but when it comes to giving council ammo... the personal attacks complete with insulting videos does little to raise the bar and credibility of those who are trying to turn the ship of state. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:14am
What insulting Video, trying to understand the Double Speak that comes out about HUD...you have got to be kidding me.  This is nothing more than a comparison of trying to understand the HUD issue in Middletown and this famous comedy routine.  I have spent hours reading HUD material and it is one hell of a challenge to wade thru the mess and government Regs. and understand what is what.

Hey you want to believe there are 3 council members in ward 3 knock yourself out, no skin off my nose.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:21am

Please Merrell......no need to chastise anyone here for their conduct. The moral standards here are pretty high, and considering the political cartoons just above your usual MJ banter are of a much lower and more ?able standard. Have you voiced your concern to your handlers in the editorial dept?

Concentrate on getting your posted information correct. When your exact message about the # of 3rd ward residents on Council was mentioned, the members shredded it angrily and accurately. Why post it again here? "Picky"?.... hardly.

How we went from Council-mentioned elimination of at-large membership to Charter Review recommendation of ward elimination was pretty amazing, and a guaranteed failure to get by the current Council. While "I "  was happy to see this blatant renegade attempt to control elections shot down decisively, I still think the situation(and all other committee recommendations) should have been handed straight to the voters.

As I addressed at the "Conversation", I didn't understand the need to bring the committee recomendations back to Council for modification or approval, however now I may see the beauty of it all. The reduction of Council positions didn't fly past Council last time, and was predictably shot down again. Actually, the three most important recommendations/changes were all voted down by Council. The issues remaining are all pretty much procedural and much lower in importance.

Anyone else think that twelve recommendations for electoral approval is too many?
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:33am
I bet it's been most difficult to digest all of that material. As to the video clips, I was talking about the impression left by the sum total of all of it. Anyway, I would have to agree that the fed. funds "shell game" is a black hole that only the city seems to have the keys. How did we get on this topic anyway? I thought the topic was about councils nixing various issues to bring to the voters. Does this happen often when somebody has a specific beef related to any topic they just jump in? I thought the catagory headlines were a guide to what topic would or was  being discussed. Big%20smile
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:34am
I would have been happy to switch recommendations and have Council Green Light the 9 really immaterial issues and let the Citizen vote on the 3 more important ones.  As it is now I doubt the Citizens will take the time to read 9 pretty insignificant issues and will just run down the ballot checking all yes or no depending on the day of the week.

12 issues was a lot and may have overshadowed the important ones some what I'm not sure.  I know I was only interested in the top 3 the rest were insignificant to me.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:38am
Spider...Your post came in before I was able to get mine done. As to the 12 recommendendations to bring before the voter...I think it's too much.
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 10:08am
I remain perplexed associated with the posts, the constant drum of "knock the bums out in the fall"! I agree the council is a useless bunch. Isn't it time for constructive action? Does anyone not realize property values have declined all around Middletown, regardless of what neighborhood one lives? Think Akers is going to sell his property for a $ Mm, or Pratt $700 Kk---get real here folks.

Would not the logical focus need to transition to "why are we allowing these sub-committees to be formed" as it should be obvious why that occurs- to ram what council wants w/o communicating to their constituents. How is that resolved? Shouldn't your ward council member be contacted and a discussion made about the obvious practice and why it should stop? Marconi says the voters determine term limits? Give me a break---no new qualified individuals run for office (no disrespect to Mr. Woods whom I voted but assume will not run again).

What about the city ordinance allowing capital expenses that USED to be dedicated to infrastructure be used for "other purposes." It would seem logical that's a good starting point for reform, or is it better to let funds go to the next project council and city hall wish to divert?  

Face the facts: Middletown is run by a few and that's aided and abetted by these
sub-committees" who always do the city and the council biddling. Isn't the goal the "majority" speak and run Middletown? That's the way most communities are run, why not Middletown?

Maybe the reality is the majority of Middletownians are just apathetic and don't care about their property values going south, the streets a disgrace, while the golf course is well groomed, but I don't think so. The only difference is 200 people can unite and rule the city, while 49, 980 are asleep and wishing someone else get involved and fix the problems.

My opinion.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 10:32am

We have  a lot of money that has came into the city over the last year and more to come from stimulus packages.  This money will be designated before anyone in council finishes their term.  Sub committees can work if they are put together with council (and they show up for the meetings) and a diverse background of citizens.  The problem is the city manager does not want any committee to give a recommendation that she does not agree with.  This was seen with the Section 8 issue last year.  It was also seen with CDBG money.  If you noticed in the paper the other day the couple that purchased a home had to go to any agency located in Hamilton to get help.  City is not offering anyone help to purchase a home and I do not see anyone getting loan money to keep a property.  Last year over 60 families were helped, but they do not want the money going to that this year.  Housing issues is what brought down the economy and unless that is fixed it will not get any better. 

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 12:43pm
CITIZENS PARTICIPATION MIDDLETOWN STYLE??ConfusedConfused

Don't you remember when the Housing Czar said that the City of Middletown did not need a HUD Consolidated Planning Committee any longer?  He noted that the City Manager and HUD provided all of the oversight that he needed?Confused

Members of the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee included:

Paul Renwick - Realtor
Rosa Lean Lindsey - Ward 2
Walter Leap - Realtor
Wanda Glover - Ward 2
Cheryl Burns - LifeSpan (Homeownership Education)
Reva Owens - Realtor
Robyn M. French - PNC Bank (Mortgage Banker)
Chris Amburgey - Planning Commission/Ward 3
Dr. Foster - Ward 2 (Tried Stone Baptist Church)
Denise Pressler - SuBanco Bank (Commercial Banker)
Bert Grimes - Ward 2/Dream Center Homeless Center
Larry Mulligan - Attended one meeting in two years
Anita Scott-Jones - Did not attend meetings since 7/2008 joining

Please explain why you ABOLISHED this diverse and talented group senior City of Middletown staff??ConfusedConfused

Nelson Self
Community Development Administrator (1/2007 - 1/2009)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic