Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, March 29, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Maybe we need to take a lesson from West Chester
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maybe we need to take a lesson from West Chester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maybe we need to take a lesson from West Chester
    Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:41am

Business leaders: No need to change township government

By Dave Greber, Staff Writer
9:09 AM Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Although it would ultimately be up to residents to decide whether to turn West Chester Twp. into a city, officials from three of the largest players in the township’s business community are standing firmly against it.

Most agreed “cityhood” for West Chester would hurt rather than help existing business, and that it would do more to keep prospective employers at bay than draw them to one of the fastest growing communities in the state.

“I think economic development would slow at a time when it’s already extremely slow,” said Bob Hutsenpillar, of Hutsenpillar Contractors Inc., a 35-year-old company that’s developed more than 200 commercial sites in southwest Ohio. “I do not think it’s worth it.”

As of this week, members of the Committee for West Chester have begun collecting the nearly 4,500 signatures needed to place the issue of incorporation before voters in May 2010, said the group’s spokesman Bill Zerkle.

Zerkle has said the township looses millions of dollars a day when nearly 80 percent of West Chester’s workforce drives to their homes outside the township’s borders. That number has been debated.

Members of the committee say incorporation would lower property taxes and improve government efficiency, and that a 1 percent income tax could mean an additional $24 million annually for police and fire levies and basic services.

Business leaders — and trustees Catherine Stoker and George Lang — disagree.

“The economic development that it (incorporation) would kill would offset any gain,” Hutsenpillar said.

Jon Burger, senior vice president of Duke Realty Corp., which owns millions of square feet of commercial space in West Chester, said businesses focus more on location, amenities and financial incentives rather than the existence of an income tax.

But, Burger also said: “West Chester has been such a successful township, I don’t know why anyone would want to change it?”

Chris Wunnenberg, director of development for West Chester-based Schumacher Dugan Construction, said the company and the township have been successful at courting businesses since the last incorporation attempt in 1993.

“Our greatest efforts need to be focused on keeping government as cost efficient as possible and to continue to bring quality jobs into West Chester,” Wunnenberg said. “Both of those priorities will be adversely affected by incorporating West Chester into a city.”

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2009 at 9:55am
I think I would agree if they incorporate they will die in 10 years (e.g.) I think as for the business that West Chester has accumulated when the tax abatements and all the freebies run out the business will be gone too. We have to remember a business only comes to an area if they can get something for nothing,free land,no taxes,free building,etc.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic