FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There is no Place for this in America

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: There is no Place for this in America
    Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 7:46am
Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family

By Phil Trexler
Beacon Journal staff writer

POSTED: 07:44 p.m. EDT, Jul 07, 2009

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, it seems pretty clear.

It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

The Marshalls, who are white, say the crowd of teens who attacked them and two friends June 27 on Girard Street numbered close to 50. The teens were all black.

''This was almost like being a terrorist act,'' Marshall said. ''And we allow this to go on in our neighborhoods?''

They said it started when one teen, without any words or warning, blindsided and assaulted Marshall's friend as he stood outside with the others.

When Marshall, 39, jumped in, he found himself being attacked by the growing group of teens.

His daughter, Rachel, 15, who weighs about 90 pounds, tried to come to his rescue. The teens pushed her to the ground.

His wife, Yvonne, pushed their son, Donald, 14, into bushes to keep him protected.

''My thing is,'' Marshall said, ''I didn't want this, but I was in fear for my wife, my kids and my friends. I felt I had to stay out there to protect them, because those guys were just jumping, swinging fists and everything.

''I'm lucky. They didn't break my ribs or bruise my ribs. I thank God, they concentrated on my thick head because I do have one. They were trying to take my head off my spine, basically.''

After several minutes of punches and kicks, the attack ended and the group ran off. The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt.

''I don't think I thought at that moment when I tried to jump in,'' Rachel Marshall said. ''But when I was laying on the ground, I was just scared.''

Marshall was the most seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and multiple bruises to his head and eye. He said he spent five nights in the critical care unit at Akron General Medical Center.

The construction worker said he now fears for his family's safety, and the thousands of dollars in medical bills he faces without insurance.

''I knew I was going to get beat, but not as bad as I did,'' Marshall said. ''But I did it to protect my family. I didn't have a choice. There was no need for this. We should be all getting along. But to me, it seems to be racist.''

Akron police are investigating. Right now, the case is not being classified as a racial hate crime. There were no other reports of victims assaulted by the group that night.

The department's gang unit is involved in the investigation, police said.

''We don't know if it's a known gang, or just a group of kids,'' police Lt. Rick Edwards said.

The Marshalls say they fear retaliation at home or when they go outside. They are considering arming themselves, but they're concerned about the possible problems that come with guns.

For now, they are hoping police can bring them suspects. They believe they can identify several of the attackers.

''This makes you think about your freedom,'' Marshall said. ''In all reality, where is your freedom when you have this going on?''

Phil Trexler can be reached at 330-996-3717 or ptrexler@thebeaconjournal.com.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:49am
Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime?

Of course not because "its a black world"
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:49am
Thank goodness the punks were not carrying guns & knives like they do around here. That could have turned out very bad.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
zduncan View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 11:46am
That is just unbelievable. And it is absolutely ridiculous that the police are not saying that the attack was racist or a hate crime. It is absolutely a racist/hate crime. When 50 or so black teenagers violently beat up 4 whit people while screaming "This is OUR world!" and "This is a Black world!"

If it were reversed and 50 white teenagers beat up four black people saying "This is our world!" and "This is a white world!" there would be no hesitation what so ever that it was a hate crime. That just shows the way our world is going.  
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 4:02pm

When it's "white on black" crime it's racism. When it's "black on white" crime it's justifiable racism. Afro-Americans having a history of racism going back several hundred years are justified in their racism of non-blacks. A study conducted at Dartmouth University in the 80's found that a large percentage of Afro-Americans carry a gene inherited from their ancestors who were slaves that show the possibility of hatred for the whites who caused them to be slaves. In conclusion of the study the hatred for whites by Afro-Americans is not their fault,it's encoded into them genetically.

retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 9:35pm
Hermes . What kind of Bovine scatology did you just quote
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by retired co retired co wrote:

Hermes . What kind of Bovine scatology did you just quote
I didn't read the entire report,it's like 1500 pages long so I just skimmed through it. The report was done in the early 80's by several professors and students. The research was done in response to the Black Panthers activities of the late 60's and early 70's. Reverse Racism was the term used back then.
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

When it's "white on black" crime it's racism. When it's "black on white" crime it's justifiable racism. Afro-Americans having a history of racism going back several hundred years are justified in their racism of non-blacks. A study conducted at Dartmouth University in the 80's found that a large percentage of Afro-Americans carry a gene inherited from their ancestors who were slaves that show the possibility of hatred for the whites who caused them to be slaves. In conclusion of the study the hatred for whites by Afro-Americans is not their fault,it's encoded into them genetically.

Thats the biggest load for **** i have ever heard, EVER. So its ok cause their ancestors were slaves?   I am so sick of that excuess, I think slavery was the worst thing in in history. but at some point let it go. We can nolonger let people blame other things for what they do. These kids dont have this stupid gene even if there is such a thing. These kids didnt like this guy cause he was white and beat him stupid and now some slick lawyer will use slavery as a defense. It is sickening to think that people can justify any act like this.
A gene that makes it okay for blacks to beat up whites. give me a break.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 2:13am

Didn't the Romans enslave most of Europe?  Didn't the English enslave the Irish, the Scots and the rest of Great Britain?  At some point or another all of ancestors were slaves by some other race.  So shouldn't we all have that gene?

Also wouldn't that gene theory be based on evolution which schools aren't allowed to teach?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 6:51am
So where is the outrage from Rev.Jesse Jackson and Rev. Albee Sharpton on this?(Seems like you always have to have a reverend in these positions of Director of Crap Stirring) If it were reversed, old Jesse and Albee would be on TV yelling and preaching about the "perpetrators of these racial actions". They always show up when there's a racial conflict, trying to stir up the crap. They make their living on being opportunists. I agree with the post that said they are sick of the "crying" about race when it happens to the blacks.- Yet, there is no organization like the NAACP to represent the whites to speak for them ,and, as a result, these things just fade away in time.

As to the 50 or so punks that did the beating? Sounds like a good reason to be packing under the conceal/ carry law for all members of the family- at least until I moved out of the area. Some would not survive if attacked again. Doesn't appear the cops want to help, so the citizens must become a vigilante to protect themselves.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:06am
Vet they were booked trying to jump on the Michael Jackson Gravey Train:

Revs. Sharpton, Jackson Jockey for Position in Michael Jackson's Memorial Spotlight

Tuesday , June 30, 2009

By Joseph Abrams

FC1

It's another case of the dueling reverends.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev. Al Sharpton have converged on Michael Jackson's family since the King of Pop's sudden death last Thursday, acting as semi-official spokesmen and advisers.

Now the two preachers — who have spent decades jockeying for the unofficial title of America's leading black activist — appear to be auditioning for a role in Michael Jackson's final act: his funeral.

It remains unclear just what they are hoping to do for the clan in mourning as they offer their services to Michael Jackson's family, but both have been vying for a prominent position.

Jesse Jackson paid a condolence call Friday and announced the next day that the Jackson family wanted a second autopsy for Michael, who died last week at the age of 50. Michael's death was "abnormal," he said, putting pressure on the doctor who was by Jackson's side as he passed away. "We don't know what happened."

Sharpton, in turn, led a press conference Monday outside the Jackson family compound in Encino detailing his plan to lead a full-day memorial at Harlem's Apollo Theater on Tuesday.

The two have gone on television separately to speak for the family, but neither has yet been invited to preside over Michael's funeral, a coveted moment in the spotlight that both have sought and secured for years at several memorial services.

Jesse Jackson has delivered rites for prominent black figures ranging from jazz great Miles Davis to the slain family of singer and actress Jennifer Hudson. Sharpton led the elaborate 2006 memorial for his mentor, James Brown, another legendary entertainer.

In recent years, they have used the same grandstands, including the funeral of Coretta Scott King, as prominent public forums. Both Sharpton and Jackson — who was a top lieutenant of Dr. Martin Luther King's — blasted President Bush during the service and made politically charged statements.

They have also launched themselves into racially charged scraps, like the cases involving the black teenagers known as the Jena Six, and the black exotic dancer who accused — wrongly, it turned out — three white players on the Duke lacrosse team of raping her.

"They don't seem to work together, they just always seem to be in the same place," said Reed Dickens, founder of Outside Eyes, a California-based communications and crisis-management firm.

They have a lot in common — both are fiery Baptist ministers; both are longtime, prominent civil rights activists; both have run for president — and both have been accused of embracing causes in order to promote themselves.

Representatives for Jackson and Sharpton did not return phone calls and e-mails seeking comment.

In their latest cause, it's unclear whether either of them has the full embrace of the family. A lawyer for the Jacksons did not respond to inquiries asking whether either is operating with the full faith of the Jackson clan.

Sharpton held his press conference alongside Michael's father, Joe Jackson. But Michael's mother, Katherine — who was closer to the star and is regarded as the heart of the family — left the scene just as Sharpton was arriving, sending an unclear signal to the man who calls himself an old family friend. Joe Jackson is believed to have been written out of his son's will.

Some media experts said the two reverends appear to be using this period of mourning to soak up Michael Jackson's last limelight.

"I think it's just an opportunity to be relevant in a national dialogue in a monumental moment," said Dickens, a former White House spokesman.

"I think they're sincerely interested in helping the family, but I also think that it's also not coincidence that they wind up right smack-dab in the middle of every media crisis," he said.

Since Jackson's death on Thursday, dozens of people have emerged from the woodwork to help "define" his legacy, said Professor Robert Thompson, director of the Bleier Center for Television and Popular Culture at Syracuse University.

"There's a sense that Michael Jackson's legacy is both fraught with financial possibilities ... but also fraught with the kind of symbolic value that what he stood for carries, and I think there's an awful lot of people who would like to frame and shape that as best they could," Thompson told FOXNews.com.

Thompson said he was not surprised to see Jackson and Sharpton emerge to help define Jackson's legacy, which would be of great import to black Americans in particular.

"He certainly does play a major part in the role of African-Americans in American popular culture," Thompson said. "I'm not surprised that civil rights leaders would be interested in how the legacy of this star is framed."

zduncan View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zduncan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:35am
A white hating gene? Are you kidding me? That ranks as the #1 dumbest thing I have EVER heard in my entire life. And by the way, slavery wasn't solely restricted to the black race. Slavery has been around since the origins of man and every single race, color and nationality in the WORLD has had members of it's society turned into slaves, but nobody else is crying about it and using it as a cop out excuse to do whatever the hell they want. Slavery 400 years ago does not justify ignorance, brutality and racism today. 
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:51am
Originally posted by zduncan zduncan wrote:

A white hating gene? Are you kidding me? That ranks as the #1 dumbest thing I have EVER heard in my entire life. And by the way, slavery wasn't solely restricted to the black race. Slavery has been around since the origins of man and every single race, color and nationality in the WORLD has had members of it's society turned into slaves, but nobody else is crying about it and using it as a cop out excuse to do whatever the hell they want. Slavery 400 years ago does not justify ignorance, brutality and racism today. 
Exactly!! If this is the case then a Jewish person could just beat up or kill a German because the could have this gene as well.
I cant believe a school like Dartmouth University would allow such a study to be done.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 12:43pm
I was happy to see the Rev. Al Sharpton speaking at MJs' funeral. He is an outstanding man. I have to agree with him when he said he was thanking MJ for being there,MJ was an inspiration to all,white and black. Even in death MJ has brought the people closer. We are the world,we are the children. A brighter future abounds if we let it !
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 1:05pm
Sharpton and Jackson go where the Press and the Money are to be found.  MJ was no inspiration to me, I met him when he was just starting out and was Normal if that was possible and then he took a turn for the bizarre side.

This is the Michael Jackson I met:

Not this and all of his craziness:

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 6:00pm
Pacman,thats not the same person. The top photo is Michael but I don't know who the bottom one is. MJ should be an inspiration to you Paman,he has done things for you,things you can't even describe. (It's ok Pacman,you can cry on my shoulder,I feel your pain)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 6:05pm
Oh I am just all broken up....Hermes.  I have to run and channel surf for the next big show on Jackson, as if we haven't seen enough.  Now Billy Mays he's my kind of guy.  Pitchmen all the way.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:31pm
As a follow-up, please become familiar with the swimming pool incident in Pennsylvania.
What an impression on a group of young children simply wanting to swim on a hot day.
We are all the same, regardless of color or ancestry.

Sigh
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Oh I am just all broken up....Hermes.  I have to run and channel surf for the next big show on Jackson, as if we haven't seen enough.  Now Billy Mays he's my kind of guy.  Pitchmen all the way.
I know how broken up you are Pacman,someone told me you haven't slept in days. Cool

Poor Billy Mays,I'll miss him. I even put him on my answering machine so if you call you'll hear "Billy Mays here !". LOL
(Now his funeral I'd go to,might get a free food slicer for showing up)
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:48pm
Spider the PA Pool incident was involoving a Private club.   The Operators of the Club screwed up by allowing the Campers and not informing their membership what was going on.  Not quite the same as 50 youths descending on a family and kicking the crap out of everyone and clearly yelling racial innuendos.

Big difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic