FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Balloons and PRIDE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Balloons and PRIDE
    Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:15am
With the balloon fest approaching next week, everyone should take a drive down Verity pkwy along the borders of Smith Park.

Please notice the crumbling concrete retainer wall from starting point to finish. Hasn't been maintained in 10-20 years. An embarrassing eyesore.
Then notice the weeds and over-growth directly behind this deteriorated structure. Hasn't been touched in a year or more?
Then let's move to the hydraulic condition. Still the nasty greeen scum puddles that smell terribly.
Factor in the dilapidated old factory directly accross the street that has been vacant in total disrepair for at least 10 years, with no plan in sight for demolition/replacement.

Is this the image that "we" will portray to our visitors next week-end(obviously so!)?
Since parking will NOT be on-site(Hey Mr.Rapp--contact me for a vip parking pass which will get you into the park with parking access), visitors will have to walk thru/past everything mentioned above. Not a very inspiring first impression of this event or facility, is it?

Why no "downtown" expenditures to remedy these situations at probaby the most-used/important facility in the area?
What is your plan, Mr.K?
Or have you been replaced by Mr.A?
Ms.G?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 9:32am
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 2:46pm
The Hydraulic Canal is another topic that we have beaten to death on the old Journal Message Board. Remember when Gary Barge and the neighborhood with the hydraulic in their backyards approached the council, had the water tested and asked for a mosquito spray event to happen? We talked about how to get the canal water moving with aerators and pumps. We talked about clearing the overgrowth along the entire length of the canal. We discussed the state fixing the dam that broke, causing the stagnated water. All a waste of time as, once again, our council was a non-participant to the solution. and the citizens gave up due to the lack of concern by the city leaders. Yet another reason to ---- CLEAN HOUSE IN NOVEMBER!!!!!
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 2:59pm
Yes, I remember Gary Barge trying to get council to move on the canal. It's really nasty but we have no money to fix it.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 3:19pm
OK--try entering Smith Park from the Wilbraham road entrance, only to be greeted by the green stagnant mess on your left. Dismal from any entrance, especially when you factor in the closed Davey's and Action Corner locations.

Maybe Davey's could run(or lease out the space) for someone to run a parking lot sale for that weekend? Produce stand? Hot food booths? Cold beverages?
All perfectly legal, as I assume Davey's to be still permitted and licensed for all of the above.
Traffic passing thru should be huge!

Didn't past Council promise a resolution to the neighborhood dam/hydraulic mess a few years ago?
Any progress, or just the usual lip service?

Mr.Haller--the city maintains a $25% of budget "rainy day" reserve to assure the best credit rating, as they continually boast.
Still--what good is it, and how easy is it to hold onto funds when you continually fail to fulfill your basic municipal responsibilities?
What is more important?

accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:40pm
Spider you are totally correct. The city is concerned solely of protecting the evil empire. That will not change. I keep reading about cleaning out in November. With who? There aren't really any new candidates. I would assume AJ Smith might be a more vocal and effective advocate for the residents than Ms. Ford, who evidently thinks the city is broke, but no one else is running. I would think Marconi will be run over in the 3rd ward as he has done very little. With the stimulus funds, would there not be some associated with the avoidance of the west Niles plague. And what about the roads, with all the stimulus $$$ flowing, why no effort to improve the roads? All the city is doing downtown is letting it turn to a wasteland, so they can take a wrecking ball to it and turn it into a "brownfield." I can't comprehend why the residents aren't outraged, there are homes sitting for sale for over 8 years in Middletown. The city manager wants to make sure she makes it to year 5. Councuk members don't care, they just want the side benefits associated with whatever perk there is on being council. The fastest growing empire in Middletown is the Sr. Citizens Center because all that will be left in Middletown in 10-15 years is an aging population that's 80% of the population. Then the council will pass an emergency ordinance associated with the need to tax those over 65. The city is dead, no recovery. Ohio is dying. What killed it? City hall and apathetic citizens who checked out a long time ago knowing the city lost its leadership compass 25 years ago. What a joke to think the city thinks it should be a stop on the speed train. That won't happen, and shouldn't.     
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:04pm
AJ Smith is very young.
How old is he now? 19? I would hope, since he has decided to run, that he knows this is not just a "cushy" job, but he might actually be expected to WORK.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:06pm
I think AJ has images of the Obama win in his head and is not ready for the task at hand.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:09pm
""Maybe Davey's could run(or lease out the space) for someone to run a parking lot sale for that weekend? Produce stand? Hot food booths? Cold beverages?
""All perfectly legal, as I assume Davey's to be still permitted and licensed for all of the above.
Traffic passing thru should be huge!""...by spiderjon.""

Maybe the Farmer's Market on Governor's Square should move there for next weekend? I didn't shop there this week. But every time I drive by I see "customers". Not sure if they're buying, but people do stop.

Or.....what's their name.......youngbutnotstupid...I think? Maybe they could set up shop there for the weekend.

Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 4:46pm
Spider> Thanks for the pass, but i cant go my Dr said i can not be in the sun and taking kemo. But thank you anyway you are a good man.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:01pm
God bless you Tom!  You are in my thoughts and prayers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic