FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions And Answers With Leslie Ford

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions And Answers With Leslie Ford
    Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 4:55pm
Council Member Ford took the time to answers the question we asked  a few weeks ago. To see her responses view the full story here   Questions And Answers With Leslie Ford
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 5:39pm
I'm so impress with Leslie and her responsiveness to our request for more information.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 7:42pm
Sorry John to disagree with you on this. Ford's answers are glossed over, generalized, non problem solving talk. Anyone who can speak can recite non answers represented here. She has demonstrated that she doesn't have the capacity to offer any real solutions to our many problems in this city. To begin to improve Council's impact and credibiliity, she needs to be one of the first to go in November. She has done nothing but occupy a seat on Council and doesn't appear to have the overall sharpness of knowledge to help us out of our dilemma. She would do well not to run again unless she changes her entire approach to the job and gets a little more "cerebral" on problem solving. JMO
katiebell View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katiebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:03pm
I agree, she has been a non-participating member of council.  Where is her support for the cemetary?  if she wants to be elected this time around she needs to step it up!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:24pm
I have been encouraged by her recent voting record(perfect score with me Tuesday evening), and think that she has gradually improved over time. I seriously ? her commitment to the job, though the job is honestly asking far too much for the compensation(if you are not retired and financially secure).

In no way do I ? her character or desire to do the best thing for everyone.

I really didn't understand her answers here, and hope that she will continue to express her goals and desires for the Council.

We could do a lot worse, have done far worse, and probably will do much worse in the future.
So--it that enough of a warm, fuzzy positive attitude?

A big plus being she doesn't resemble any of the Three Stooges or Laurel and Hardy.
Extra credit for being the first to step up to the plate.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:37pm
My thoughts on Ms. Ford's answers;  1- I am impressed with her qualif
ications. 2- Her thoughts on the 2nd ward seems to be one of good concern. 3- Replacing businesses fairly decent considersing. 4- I don't buy the repairing relationships with our neighbors. 5- Downtown area- putting perfume on a pig. 6A- Section 8 - way off base- ( see apartments on Old Roosevelt) also assisting people to become more self-sufficient is like giving  money to people who never had any real amount of money and expect them to be suddenly responsible,this will never happen without some type of training program. 6B- We all know why the huge amount of Vouchers  were issued and know that they are one of  the main reasons that this town has the image that you say we need to stop worrying about because you are part of group that help sink the image of this once fine town. 7- What cuts are you talking about?(the two garage workers) please don't belittle our intelligent with such a statement. 8- 12% says it all.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:25am

Sorry, Mr. Beagle, but it appears that you are easily impressed.

Where would you like to see the city in the next few years?

I would like to see a few things progress. In the second ward, I would like to see continued progress towards unity of areas of the second ward, specifically the Amanda area and the Douglass Park area. They are only separated geographically by less than a mile or two, but they still "feel" separate. I would like Amanda, Douglass Park, and Downtown to be more united. In addition, while I have supported East End
Development, I would like our focus for infrastructure and economic development to have more emphasis on ward 2. I also am optimistic that the coming rail system (if we are selected as a stop) will be a catalyst for more development on this side of town.

Ms. Ford seems interested in Second Ward unity, and I don’t blame her but by continually focusing only on the Second Ward can’t she see that it is contributing to the DIVISION of the Second Ward from the rest of the city? Ms. Ford is not alone in this myopic view. “Diversity” or “Unity”??? Which shall it be??? We can’t have both.

I admire the fact that Ms. Ford is “optimistic that the coming rail system (if we are selected as a stop) will be a catalyst for more development on this side of town”, but what in the world makes her think that it actually WILL be a catalyst, if it occurs?

What is your plan to replace the businesses that Middletown has lost?

Aside from more incentives that the city can provide (tax relief) I would like to pursue a more aggresive advertising campaign to lure businesses to relocate here. I realize that will be of some expense, and given our budget situation, we really can't spare much at all. However, I think the long-term gain to the city will be well worth the expense.

Ms. Ford, that is not much of a plan. I would rather heard you say something about what our new, expanded Economic Development Department IS DOING for our city, and what will happen if they do not produce results!!! We could do a lot more “advertising” with the money saved by eliminating that department if they cannot produce results.

The first thing that needs to be done is to UN-do all of the business-killing damage that Mr. Kohler has done.

How would you begin to repair and strengthen our relationships with the surrounding communities?

I think we as the leadership have already taken steps in this regard. I think the key is to continue to keep the lines of communication open, and to continue to support their efforts. I think cooperation on both sides will strengthen relationships in the long run. I think we now have an attitude of openess that other communities are starting to recognize.

The “key is to continue” the “steps” that “the leadership have already taken”??? Ms. Ford, are you not aware that we are either in, or have just finished, litigation with our two closest neighbors: Franklin and Monroe??? Have you noticed that the Butler County Commission has held one of their regular weekly meetings in nearly every other political subdivision in this county except for Middletown, the second largest city in this county???

Yes, the County Commission has thrown a few bucks our way in the last several years, but no where nearly as much as we SEND to them and no where nearly as much as we might expect proportional to population, area, or need.

What would you like to see happen with the downtown area?

My dream is for downtown to be highly developed. I would like to add that Downtown and the East End are not (or should not) be competing entities, but rather they ideally should be complementary. Downtown could be artsy and eclectic, with specialty shops, and have homes for artists and students. I'd like to see stores that reflect the character of Middletown.

Dreaming is fine, Ms. Ford, but when will we begin being PRACTICAL for a change. Is there any LOGICAL or statistical reason that you can cite WHY our FORMER downtown should be “highly developed” with PUBLIC funds??? Middletown has been waiting for over thirty years to hear this information!!! Please share it with us!!! Yes, it COULD be “artsy and eclectic”, by why SHOULD it be, especially at public expense??? It COULD be a light industrial center, or it COULD have been a hospital, or a community college or a number of things. But there are REAL REASONS why it became none of those things. And Ms. Ford, as far as “stores that reflect the character of Middletown”, haven’t you looked lately??? There ARE pawn shops and second-hand stores. It DOES reflect the current character of Middletown. Would you kindly explain how “artsy and eclectic” reflects the current character of Middletown???

Ms. Ford, what you and the others refuse to understand is that IF Middletown‘s true character was “artsy and eclectic”, private developers would be fighting over the cheap downtown properties to market the “specialty shops and homes for artists and students” that you non-realists think there is such a need for and are so anxious to develop at someone else’s expense!!! It’s that simple, Ms. Ford…it really is!!!

What are your thoughts on Middletown's Section 8 situation and what would you like to see happen?

I think we as a city need to be honest about who we are and where we are, economically. We are a working-class city with a lot of citizens that need assistance. I think that the section 8 program should remain in place, and that we should not reduce the number of vouchers issued. I think stereotypes about citizens receiving section 8 assistance are unfounded. This is a program that assists residents in becoming more self-sufficient. We need to stop worrying about our "image" and get to the business of helping those in need.

“I think we as a city need to be honest about who we are and where we are, economically. We are a working-class city with a lot of citizens that need assistance. We need to stop worrying about our "image" and get to the business of helping those in need.”…Leslie Ford (in preceding paragraph)

Now, Ms. Ford, please repeat that THREE TIMES!!! It is the exact OPPOSITE of what YOU said in your answer to the previous question!!! I am glad to see that YOU are in COMPLETE AGREEMENT with ME!!!

So how about it, Ms. Ford? Please “stop worrying about our image!” Stop wasting the taxes paid by our “working-class” citizens by trying to DREAM that we are “artsy and eclectic” and that our “citizens that need assistance” need a bunch of snooty “shoppes” and high end “townhouses” that no developer in his right mind would dare risk his OWN money to develop in our FORMER downtown!

Tell us how you would handle the city's budget concerns?

This is a tough one, because the cuts we have made to city departments have our staff working on a shoe-string. I'll tell you what the answer is NOT. Staff reductions are not an option for me. That would be the classic knee-jerk reaction, but my belief is that you hold on to your good city workers in times of trouble. They've been fantastic. I think if we all work together, we will find a solution.

Ms. Ford, please review your facts. Other than police and fire, how many employees were on the city payroll five years ago? How many are on it today? Since we keep hearing that “no one has gotten a raise”, how many people (note that I said “people”, NOT “positions”) are making more today than they were five years ago???

Case closed!

In your opinion, what is the biggest problem that needs addressed in Middletown and how do we repair it?

The Economy/Jobs. I believe we are at 12% unemployment, and we as a city are really struggling. We have to be more aggressive in drawing in new businesses, and also providing the job training to our citizens so they can compete in this tight economy.

Well, finally, I agree with YOU (mostly)!!! But can you kindly explain to me how ANYTHING you said anywhere above will do ANYTHING to improve our competitive position against the thousands of other similarly situated cities across the state and nation?? If you can do so…and do so with facts, and logic, and sense (as opposed to dreams and wishes, and the like) I will turn into your biggest supporter, and help to the best of my ability to get YOU elected!!!

Respectfully,

Mike Presta

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 3:38pm
First, I think it's admirable that Ms. Ford responded to the questions.  Knowing the derisive tone of much discussion regarding the city here, I'm surprised anyone would do so.

Second, I'm curious as to what would have "impressed" or even satisfied some of our most frequent posters on this site. 

Third, why don't some of the folks who post so often here offer their responses to at least a few of the questions asked keeping in mind Vet's admonition that one needs to practice cerebral problem-solving.

Thank you.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 6:15pm
Thank you for that comment on my "admonition" on cerebral thinking. Glad to have you as a critic to my posts. I am certainly richer for it. You were curious as to what would have impressed or satisfied some of the most frequent posters here?- Some specifics to back up Ford's generalizations would have been nice. Less emphasis on the "feelings" talk about the community and "flavor" of the town and more "concrete" talk on offering solutions to problems would have been nice. I would be curious to read your ideas and offerings as to responses and to know what would have impressed you about Ford's comments. You have criticized the "negative" posters on here many times, pointing out our many "weaknesses", and you have frequently defended the city people, but you have seldom taken the occasion to offer your versions of the way it should be. How about now? Marianne- IMO courtesy and respect for city leaders only goes so far. When they constantly screw up and become the secretive enemy of the people just occupying a chair on Council or intentionally driving the city into the ground, it's time to just call it as it is and stop pretending they are reputable. Just as you can't understand why some of us constantly criticize these people, we find it equally puzzling why you and others constantly defend them when the evidence is so apparent that they are not worthy of our support. How bad does it have to get before you feel like we do?
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 7:23pm
Viet Vet.........................ClapClapClap
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2009 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Thank you for that comment on my "admonition" on cerebral thinking. Glad to have you as a critic to my posts. I am certainly richer for it. You were curious as to what would have impressed or satisfied some of the most frequent posters here?- Some specifics to back up Ford's generalizations would have been nice. Less emphasis on the "feelings" talk about the community and "flavor" of the town and more "concrete" talk on offering solutions to problems would have been nice.

I was asking what folks would rather have heard her say - ie, be specific about the concrete ideas you wanted her to express.   

I would be curious to read your ideas and offerings as to responses and to know whyat would have impressed you about Ford's comments.

Where did I say that her comments impressed me?  I was impressed that she responded given the tone of many folks here.  I don't think I remarked anywhere about the substance of her answers. 

You have criticized the "negative" posters on here many times, pointing out our many "weaknesses", and you have frequently defended the city people, but you have seldom taken the occasion to offer your versions of the way it should be. How about now?

What do you mean by "the way it should be"?   Are you asking for me to blather here about what I'd like to see done to improve the town? 

Why would I offer my vision for Middletown here on this forum?  I don't think it would be a particularly useful exercise, nor do I think this medium lends itself to reasoned discussion.  As people who know me know well, I'm invested in improving the community, and I do what I can through the means that I have.  When I have an idea about improving something, I go to the people I think have the means of accomplishing those things; I don't post about it on a blog, because I haven't found that blogs are the most useful mechanism for achieving what I hope to achieve.  Others disagree, I suppose, and that's ok. 

Marianne- IMO courtesy and respect for city leaders only goes so far.

I don't see how a lack of courtesy and respect achieves anything with city leaders, but it's not for me to say that anyone's approach is right or wrong - I just have yet to see negative approach achieve much good in this town or have yet to see much good come from what I often see here beyond allowing folks to "vent".  Nothing wrong with that. 

When they constantly screw up and become the secretive enemy of the people just occupying a chair on Council or intentionally driving the city into the ground, it's time to just call it as it is and stop pretending they are reputable.

Secretive enemy of the people? Wow.  Those are some harsh words.  I would say you're venturing into the vague territory you accuse Leslie Ford of occupying here.

Just as you can't understand why some of us constantly criticize these people, we find it equally puzzling why you and others constantly defend them when the evidence is so apparent that they are not worthy of our support. How bad does it have to get before you feel like we do?

I'm not sure what you mean by me constantly defending them.  Maybe my old age is causing me to forget posts, but let me see if I can recall the subjects I've addressed.  As you note, I've remarked about the lack of civil attitude by some folks here in their posts and asserted that I didn't think it was particularly productive.  In recent weeks, I've posted regarding the work of the Charter Committee.  Neither of those things seem even remotely connected with defending City Council or City leadership.  If I say that I've interacted with some folks in city government and found them civil and willing to listen to me, I don't think that fits your accusation either. 

I hope I never feel as you do - or at least as your posts indicate. I don't know you, so I'm just speculating, but your posts express a great deal of frustration and a sense of powerlessness.  If those are inaccurate assessments, I will stand corrected. 

I have an occupation that allows me to try to do a lot of good in the community.  I chose that profession precisely because of that; I tell my kids it's the family business, so I take it seriously and I think I'm reasonably good at what I do. I can always improve, but that's where I make a difference (I hope).  So, nope, I hope I never feel as you do, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to do what I do on a daily basis. 

Thank you for your response.

M
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 1:40am
RECONSIDER WHAT VIET VET & OTHERS HAVE SAID

Marianne -

Until recently I had a position with the City.  This temporarily allowed me to try and improve the physical/socio-economic quality of Middletown.  I chose that profession 38 years ago.

The end result of my association with the City has temporarily altered my life.  Not to be self-serving as recently admonished by a frequent poster here, I can say that Viet Vet is "right on target" in his assessment of this once thriving community!

So, nope, I hope you never feel as I do, and you're fortunate to have the opportunity to do what you do on a daily basis. 

Thank you for your response.

NRS
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 6:44am
Marianne- Thank you for the response. I guess we'll just agree that we disagree with each other's approach to these posts and that we will never be on the same page in discussing various subjects. It appears we are radically different in our views of this town. I'm curious. How long have you lived in Middletown? I've seen 60 years of good times, mediocre times and the current bad times and use those 60 years as a basis for comparison to assess the overall climate of the town as it is today. The town is in the worst shape it has been in in over 30 years right now. (JMO of course.) You are correct in your assessment. I am very frustrated. As for feeling "powerless"? Only to the degree that it will be very difficult to erase the inner circle of people that are destroying a once prosperous town and the powerless feeling comes from knowing how difficult it will be to drive them out of office and the city building. I would like to see a totally new regime take over the city and the schools. One that has the ability to make competent, logical, citizen oriented decisions and one that has the vision AND KNOWHOW, to actually DO what they envision and plan.Prioritize and work on the basics like roads and the infrastructure first and move on to the next priority. I would like to see this town gain it's image back and be a respected community within the region again. Get rid of all the Section 8 and HUD programs and stop the welfare town theme immediately. I'd like to see the kids come out of the Middletown schools prepared for the demands of the working world or college. Yeah, I'm frustrated as he-- with these "leaders" who don't seem near as passionate about this city as the people on this site. Most all here, if in a leadership role, would guide this city in the right direction.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 7:41am
Marianne, Marianne!!!

Such labored nothings in so strange a style, amaze the unlearned but make the learned smile.

I think Bob Dylan said that, or it could've been Pope Alexander I.  Regardless, I do like your style of interspersing replies within the actual quotes of those whom you are addressing.  I might adopt that method myself.

Perhaps Wednesday or Thursday I will respond to your remarks on this thread...but no more today.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 1:42pm
Marianne States:

"Why would I offer my vision for Middletown here on this forum?  I don't think it would be a particularly useful exercise, nor do I think this medium lends itself to reasoned discussion.  As people who know me know well, I'm invested in improving the community, and I do what I can through the means that I have.  When I have an idea about improving something, I go to the people I think have the means of accomplishing those things; I don't post about it on a blog, because I haven't found that blogs are the most useful mechanism for achieving what I hope to achieve.  Others disagree, I suppose, and that's ok." 

This seems kind of an odd statement as you surely jumped in on the Police Chief issue with the Charter Review Committee and its position to look at outside candidates.  I guess there is not enough personal interest in the rest of the City.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 2:10pm
Not Zimmy, Mike,
though Huddue Ledbetter(aka LEADBELLY) did sing:
"Ya kin go 2 yer college
ya kin go 2 yer school
Sumtimes it jest makes u an educated fool"

Please don't talk down to us in such a way, Marianne.
We MAY not be that stupid.
Plus--you haven't done that much to help this community anyway.
Self-importance is obviously contagious!
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Marianne States:

"Why would I offer my vision for Middletown here on this forum?  I don't think it would be a particularly useful exercise, nor do I think this medium lends itself to reasoned discussion.  As people who know me know well, I'm invested in improving the community, and I do what I can through the means that I have.  When I have an idea about improving something, I go to the people I think have the means of accomplishing those things; I don't post about it on a blog, because I haven't found that blogs are the most useful mechanism for achieving what I hope to achieve.  Others disagree, I suppose, and that's ok." 

This seems kind of an odd statement as you surely jumped in on the Police Chief issue with the Charter Review Committee and its position to look at outside candidates.  I guess there is not enough personal interest in the rest of the City.

I addressed something specific in what the Charter Review committee did; my discussion of the selection of fire and police chiefs was part of a greater concern with the Committee's approach.  I expressed that here, and I sent my concerns to city council members.  Talking about a "vision" for Middletown seems vague to me.  They are two different things.  Nothing odd about it.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2009 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Not Zimmy, Mike,
though Huddue Ledbetter(aka LEADBELLY) did sing:
"Ya kin go 2 yer college
ya kin go 2 yer school
Sumtimes it jest makes u an educated fool"

Please don't talk down to us in such a way, Marianne.
We MAY not be that stupid.
Plus--you haven't done that much to help this community anyway.
Self-importance is obviously contagious!

Steve, I don't see where I'm talking down to anyone here. 

Yes, I haven't done much to help this community.  You're right.  But I believe I'm doing what I can, and I chose my profession based on a desire to help people.  I'm happy with where I am and what I'm accomplishing.  If that's self-importance, I'm self-important. I love what I do.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 6:47am
Marianne- You state "why would I offer my visions for Middletown on this forum?" Simply put- because we would be interested in what your solutions are for the town to emerge from this malaise and to find out if you're on this forum to contribute or to criticize. It may also enlighten us as to whether you even have a vision. You also state "I don't think it would be a particularly useful exercise, nor do I think this medium lends itself to reasoned discussion". Ouch!!! that hurts. We, who participate are not capable of "reasoned discussion" on this site? None of us know what we're talking about here. Is that your inference? You sound a tad bit on the elitist side of the fence, similar to our esteemed city leaders in their opinions of us mere mortals. Do you consider yourself an elitist, Marianne? If so, I'll use one of your lines in one of your previous replies to me- "I wouldn't want to feel as you do." Finally, you state- "I haven't found that blogs are the most useful mechanism for achieving what I hope to achieve."- THEN WHAT ARE YOU PARTICIPATING ON THIS BLOG FOR? Isn't this site a waste of time for you, given that statement?
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 8:29am

Marianne- You state "why would I offer my visions for Middletown on this forum?" Simply put- because we would be interested in what your solutions are for the town to emerge from this malaise and to find out if you're on this forum to contribute or to criticize. It may also enlighten us as to whether you even have a vision. You also state "I don't think it would be a particularly useful exercise, nor do I think this medium lends itself to reasoned discussion". Ouch!!! that hurts. We, who participate are not capable of "reasoned discussion" on this site? None of us know what we're talking about here. Is that your inference? You sound a tad bit on the elitist side of the fence, similar to our esteemed city leaders in their opinions of us mere mortals. Do you consider yourself an elitist, Marianne? If so, I'll use one of your lines in one of your previous replies to me- "I wouldn't want to feel as you do." Finally, you state- "I haven't found that blogs are the most useful mechanism for achieving what I hope to achieve."- THEN WHAT ARE YOU PARTICIPATING ON THIS BLOG FOR? Isn't this site a waste of time for you, given that statement?

Hey Vet.  All good questions, and I'm glad you're interested in my solutions to the city's problems.  My remark about the medium refers to my sense that a blog post, which usually consists of ten sentences or less, doesn't allow for the sort of thoughtful, reasoned exchange that would occur f2f.  But, as I said before, that's just my opinion.

Do I consider myself an elitist?  I think I've already been called that.   Actually, I've been described as a few things - I think self-important was Steve's latest.  I'm not too worried about these things, so I won't address them other than to say if that's your opinion, that's fine by me.  I'm happy with who I am.

I'll answer your last question by saying why I'm not here.  I'm not here because I think any of my posts will have a real impact on things - at least in comparison with the opportunities I have through my profession. 

This is a blog read by a few people and posted on by even fewer.   I think you can find good things here, but there's a lot of anger and resentment expressed here, which as I said before seems to detract from some folks' credibility.  But if my choices were to "make a difference" by participating here and do nothing, then I would choose to do nothing, because I don't see much productive change coming out of here.  People here can disagree, of course, and I'm sure some folks have learned a lot by reading people's posts here.  As I said, there is useful information being presented, but you have to wade through a lot of other stuff to get to it. 

Hope that answers your questions. 

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 10:05am
Hey Dr.C--everyone here is self-important imo.
We think that our statements,opinions and actions are meaningful.
Probably a good thing more than a bad thing.
Believing in yourself is fundamental to a stronger belief in others maybe.

You care--you are active in the areas where you choose to participate.
More than most, less than many others.
Same for the rest of us.
I feel fortunate to know you in the small way that I do, and value your local efforts.

We can all be self-serving, some with more self-serving motivation than others.

By blog/message board standards, this place is extremely tame.
The information stream is pretty good, and unfortunately necessary due to the local newsprint being less of a source due to direction.

Smokey has provided a tremendous amount of information that has confirmed the thoughts of many and opened quite a few eyes, with no one coming forth to shut him off or dispute his statements. Despite my ?ing his style, I am extremely grateful for his substance, and wish him the best in resolving his current situations in a manner constructive and satisfactory to everyone(well...as much as possible).

Thanks, as always, to our hosts for providing this nice platform for information , ideas and entertainment. We should actively support our hosts and their advertisers.

I believe access and participation are still optional.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 10:24am
Thanks, Spider John.  And after unpacking this morning's groceries, I also thank you for the continued boneless, skinless chicken breast special that you offer for those of us on a tight budget.  I did give serious thought to your comments and am taking a different approach now.  Thank you again.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 8:13am
Cinci is about to have a major "Knee Jerk Reaction".

Cincinnati city employees facing layoffs

The Associated Press
11:11 AM Friday, July 17, 2009

CINCINNATI — Cincinnati's financial situation keeps getting worse, making layoffs of city employees more likely.

The city manager said Friday that revenue is even lower than anticipated and the projected deficit is about 40 percent higher than recent estimates.

City Manager Milton Dohoney Jr. said new projections based on May and June tax receipts put this year's budget deficit at $28 million, rather than $20 million.

Dohoney says layoffs now will help deal with deficits that are expected to be even bigger next year. He says it has not been determined which city functions will be affected, though he says layoffs will cross all departments and could involve several hundred employees.

___

July 17, 2009 03:07 PM EDT

MerrellWood View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MerrellWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 6:29pm
And I thought we we talking about Leslie Ford and her response to our questions.....
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2009 at 7:56pm
Mr. Picard Candidate for the 4th ward just emailed me his answer to our question, so look for them first thing Monday moring.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic