FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Those manhole covers and Courtis Fuller News 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Those manhole covers and Courtis Fuller News 5
    Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:01pm
Wife and I were at Krogers this afternoon. Looked over at the old Dillards parking lot at Towne Mall and there was the Channel 5 news truck with Courtis Fuller doing a story on the stolen manhole covers around Middletown. After shopping for supper items, the wife and I drove over and introduced ourselves to Mr. Fuller. After he told us he was doing the story on the manhole covers, I told him they were "small potatoes" compared to the more important stories going on here in town. I told him what the city would be telling him about this town,then directed him to this site- Middletown USA.com- and asked him to read our posts to get the truth and the dirt about this city's leadership. I will keep E-Mailing him to remind him that there are so many newsworthy stories in this town, he could make a career on this subject matter. He asked, while pointing to an empty Dillard's store- " what's this all about". I told him he hasn't even begun to see all the crap that is occuring in this town as to the leaders, funny money, cronyism, business unfriendliness, poor schools, HUD, Section 8 overabundance, etc. Hopefully, Channel 5 will respond with an indepth story on the perils of Middletown and run several stories over time. Perhaps we could get Channel 9 and 12 involved also. Why not Channel 2 and 7 in Dayton while we're at it. Anything to give these 's a black eye.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:20pm
God Bless you, your dear wife and extended familyViet Vet.ClapClap   So many times I have gotten discouraged when it seemed that the waste and mismanagement of HUD funds by the occupants of One Donham Plaza would go unnoticed.CryCry  Thank you so very much for spreading the truth about our sorry state of affairs here!StarStar
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 8:27pm
Did you mention anything positive about the city?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:12pm
The news report said about 40 manhole covers have been stolen and the replacement cost is $150 while the thieves only get $10 for them. I bet the city isn't smart enough to go to where ever they sold them and get them back,the city will probably buy new ones for $500 a piece and then offer that as an incentive to draw business.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 10:20pm
VietVet, Good job and hopefully they will follow up on this story. It might help if we all contacted this newsman to touch base on following up with this info.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Did you mention anything positive about the city?

Yeah, did you mention the MidFirst Ohio Balloon Challenge that's happening next weekend?

jeez, get a grip man! You get a chance to actually be a positive note in this town and you mention all of that?

Talk about dirty laundry......you don't think they know about this stuff already? Everytime Middletown is on the news, it's a murder, or AK, or blah blah blah blah.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 1:02am
MadMom you don't think they know about the MidFirst Ohio Balloon Challenge, If they don't Ms Mort is falling down on her specialty, PR, and I don't mean that in a derogatory fashion.  Someone needs to go downtown and get some answers from the Palace and then look past the BS that they will dish out and question the policies that have and are killing Middletown.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:47am
With all due respect, MadMom, there are THOUSANDS (apparently) of people "cheerleading" for Middletown, including notaables such as business types, and politicians who can get the media's ear, while there is just this small group of (so-called) "trouble-makers" willing to try to point out and solve the PROBLEMS that are KILLING our fair city!!!

So which is more important???

The few REALISTS getting the word out on the REAL and LETHAL problems??

Or the cheerleaders making sure that when Middletown is absolutely dead, other cities will say:  "We didn't even know they were sick...on the news the other night, they sounded so HHEALTHY!!!"
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

The news report said about 40 manhole covers have been stolen and the replacement cost is $150 while the thieves only get $10 for them. I bet the city isn't smart enough to go to where ever they sold them and get them back,the city will probably buy new ones for $500 a piece and then offer that as an incentive to draw business.

In My Opinion....whatever scrap yard is accepting these mh covers, should have a responsibility to report it to the local authorities. Do these covers have some sort of ID#s?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 10:31am
IMO...If you want to be taken seriously, then man together and contact the area TV news stations. Tell them what's happening and see how far it goes. I doubt Fuller is going to take one person seriously at this point.

You could become "concerned citizens" instead of "troublemakers". Or better yet, start campaigning to run for city council and change it.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 12:59pm

MadisonMom
For the last few years the joke around town was how to get the visitors downtown without them seeing the rest of
Middletown
1. Call it a game and put them in the back seat of the car and blindfold them.

2. Bring them into town under the cloak of total darkness.
3. Fly them into Hook Field.
The clean up and improvements in and around Smith Park are the responsibility of the City....period. Again they want us to care fo our property and yet they don't want to take care their properrty.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 1:09pm
Madison Mom -

If you'd "worn my shoes" as a division head for the City in recent years, I know that you'd have a MUCH DIFFERENT OUTLOOK on things!

I was not/am not a troublemaker!

I tried with little internal support to clean up wasteful HUD programs and questionable expenditures!

Thanks for your consideration.

Nelson Self
Community Development Administrator
1/2007 - 1/2009
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 1:13pm
Two things: It is legally unconstitutional for the city to fine a citizen and neglect its own responsibilty, so there is a legal challenge when the city asks citizens to pay to paint the house, to maintain the yard, but the city is violating its own principles.

Secondly. Instead of expecting a reporter to critique Middletown, and bring about negative visibility which just worsens the city's image and your property value, why not look forward and begin the proper retaliation as follows:

1) Repeal the 1.5 % tax increase that will be expiring in a few years.
2) HUD Allegations- If I understand this correctly, are there suggestions that misappropriation has taken place? If so, that's a qui tam claim, and a serious offense. Why not act?
3) Roads- why not take this acrimony and start with a plan of action, like getting the ordinance of waste that began the nightmare in Middletown, where infrastructure funds could be given to McNeil and Perry Thatcher?
4) Schools- why not harness the anger on here and have the Board select a highly motivated assistant superintendant driven to get a career moving forward, by cleaning up Middletown's discipline problem, and motivating kids to achieve. Pretty remarkable how grades are handed out in Middletown schools, almost 50% of grads graduate with an A average (3.4). Some incentive, show up for school and guaranteed all A's. Why then, are not more open enrollment kids flocking to Middletown when you can coast so easily?
5) Accountability- Besides being tarred and feathered on the blog board, not one council member or Board member ever incurs wrath of its citizens. Why people?  
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 2:46pm
Accuro -

God willing, an action IS being pursued.

I feel like David taking on Goliath.  The outcome is very uncertain and I don't begin to have the resources to equitably take on this governmental juggernaut.

It's my fervent prayer that the truth will be exposed and that those hypocrites involved will be removed from elected and appointed offices.

God almighty is my witness!  And, may God almighty protect the honest citizens of Middletown, Ohio who deserve honest, straight-forward good government.

Nelson Self
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 2:53pm

beautiful thinking, accuro

repeal the tax increase
do not renew the public safety levy
demand the infrastructure funding be put back into place, no longer discretionary spending
starve the municipals at the ballot box until bennie costs are realistic and in line with the public sector
To repeat myself(as I do regularly):
Starve the beast until he is so weakened that he must come to the table for survival(through REAL negotiated change).

Smokey--either satisfy your case(YOU have the info,experience and know where to go) or leave it go. The constant derogatory name-calling has worn very thin and served no real purpose other than irritation. Cheerlead here as much as you like, though it is all so self-serving.

we paid for new schools
no levy renewals until discipline is a priority, and actions verify such
sos with a new super = a shut-out at the ballot box
same with test scores 

hopefully our elected officials will be held accountable in November.
Replace all incumbants.
If we make weak choices, keep changing the names until we get it right.
Bombard Council/Admin during citizens' comments--their lack of response only plays against THEM. Eventually the answers and information must and will be brought forth.

It is YOUR city, and it is about f'n time that you started acting constructively and responsibly in that direction.

Don't whine to some Cincy newsman, only here for a quick filler on a slow news weekend. The guy has his own issues, and covers a city with far worse situations. He could care less about Middletown.

We don't have to get the word out about our local issues. Trust me--we have a HORRIBLE reputation in the area. We are seen as a laughing stock and one big dirty ghetto. No one wants to visit here. No one wants to start up a business here(large or small)--and the proof is in the actions(or lack of).

Outside of balloonists and vendors, there won't be a lot of "visitors" coming in next weekend unfortunately.

jmo

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 2:55pm
Mr. Self, I didn't call you a trouble-maker.
I was posting in regards to another post. One of the other posters on here I'm sure meant that rhetorically.
But then again, what do I know.
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 4:21pm
spider, you eloquently are spot on. Mr. Self, I have no idea how serious the allegations to be, but if I speculate, I can reach a reasonable conclusion to what you may be implying. If you feel wrong doing has taken place, I suggest the following. Contact Ann Lugbill, attorney who specializes in qui tam claims (confidential filing associated with federal waste and fraud). She is in Cincinnati, a top flight ESQ. who knows this area as well as anyone in the country. If this is your suggestion, you don't need to be getting the message out, Ann will get the message in a confidential filing very rapidly and there is a mechanism which such allegations are taken very seriously. If I misunderstood and its a matter of a belief of a wrong but perfectly ethical and legal transaction, differences in opinion aren't worthy of contact with Ann. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:09pm
Thank you so much Accuro!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:21pm
The E-Mail address is courtisfuller@wlwt.com and his telephone number is 513-412-5040 or 513-412-6121.
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:23pm
You are welcome, keep Ann as a backup. She and her partner (Harvard Law) are experts in the area of qt.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 6:49pm
Spider and Madison Mom- I had a choice here. I could have said "Gee, there's the Channel 5 news truck". "Don't see them around here very often". "Wonder what they're up to here in town" and drove home with an indifferent attitude of apathy like 90% of this town has. OR- OR- I can stop. Introduce myself and take this opportunity to tell him that he has a goldmine of stories/ soap operas going on in this town, that he could use for storylines and by his opportunities for a storyline, we, who want change, could benefit through the exposure and embarrassment of the city leaders/condition of the town. IF-IF I mention that everything is rosy in town, and there are no problems, only Balloon Challenges,Greek Fests the wonderful things we're doing for the Section 8 candidates and act like things are beautiful in town, how much of a reaction to doing a story here do you think he would have? News people thrive on sensationalism, not humdrum everyday festivals and doing business. If you bring up conflict within a community- now- that will attract some attention from the news people and get us, the dissatisfied, some free pressure directed toward our inept leaders. Sorry to those who believe my "approach" was all wrong here. I saw an opportunity that doesn't come too often and took it to mention some of the backsteet schenanigans that we all talk about here on this site. Perhaps it will be your turn next time to see the news truck. What will you do- drive home with your apathy or stop and talk about all the "wonderful" things in town, boring him to death or tell him some things that may be under the radar of the Cincy news stations? Which do you think he will be most interested in? Look- if we complain and bit-- on this forum about how bad things are here in town and then, when the opportunity appears, tell an outsider news station that everythings ok here, doesn't that make us hypocrites? Everyones's complained about something on here so don't give me that "You should have been positive crap".
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 7:02pm
Spiderjohn
Ya got my vote. It’s time to starve them at the ballot box. All the other communities around us are cutting jobs, wages and benefits. We can’t keep giving them these increases with fewer and fewer jobs and tax dollars available in the area. We can’t keep rewarding them for making our City into HUDLAND.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 7:54pm
Gee folks I have been stating the need to start petitioning to get some of these ordinances changed/Council People recalled etc. for some time and what does everyone say.......oh that is to much work we can't do that.....blahblahblah.  Amazing.
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 7:54pm
Vet, I couldn't resist. I don't know how many times I've watched the soap opera on Cincinnati stations, the fights and bickering of council. Do you actually think anyone at council is going to be embarrassed? They should be embarrassed they are even in public office and the plight they have put the city in that goes back many, many years. All the citizens know Middletown is a waste and the pride is gone for years. Embarrassment, making one look stupid, bringing about negative visibility will have no impact on city hall. They are empire builders, they care only about protecting the feithdom, not you, not me, not their neighbor, not the city. They care about one thing---themselves. What's Curtis going to do---expose the obvious? More constructive activities required than chasing down weekend news anchors who probably already know Middletown and Over the Rhine are both pretty hot topics associated with either violence, stupidity, or comci relief.  
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 8:43pm
Hey spider, what about the oxymoron on the close/ no close of the fire house. Recall how council, one in particular, grandstanded about safety issues. all doing everything to mislead the public to get the $$$ to keep city hall fat, dumb, and happy? With the construction by the highway, its a bottleneck and adds time to get to the hospital. Those precious minutes the firemen were so worried about to keep Middletownians safe (or rather, the union pecking order in place for promotions) when its more danagerous now in delays, for the construction and concrete barriers adding time to get to the Atrium.

The best "payback" for the decline in the city services, their lack of attention to the community, should focus upon reversing the tax increase, making sure cuts come at city hall. Sorry Ms. Ford, no vote from me when you say city has in running "lean and mean", when the law department has grown, detectives are pulling down a $125 Kk annually, the development group expanded, when they have no measurable contribution to growth. Call council members and write letters to the editor about reversing the infrastructure allocation to any whim council and the city desires. Don't let McNeil and AK throw $50 Kk to Becker and Mulligan for their "payback" on ROI. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic