FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School Board Goes Too !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 9:21am
The common theme is realization people is that city council and the school board work part-time. They are like most people, they try to minimize their cycles, the inconvenience. They want to avoid headaches, time spent on making decisions, evaluating alternatives. Why do you think the council grabbed the Kettering city manager to plug and play in the 'interim' position before he found his friend a job now city manager? Why do you think the Board drops $122,000. or 9500/monthly on a double dipper? Because its the easy way out, doesn't take much time, can reduce cycle time; "hey, I don't get paid for this anyway, or I get $5,000.00 annually on council, and make .60/cents and hr. The pts made are logical and prudent, but council and the Board doesn't operate that way. Hell, the city has dropped how much- $50Kk plus with consultancies helping brand property out by the interstate! There's no need for branding, Neyer is running that, the city has been, and always will be, a follower. So there's $50Kk wasted, that could be used to have a pool open. That's the real issue: these people want the short cut, to reduce their cycles. So, lets drop nearly $10Kk monthly, to hire a former super. Really a waste and so much overhead in state school systems gone amuck, its nauseating to me, about the only entity in the country that hasn't gotten downsized and reengineered. That, and of course, city hall. And to hear councuil members suggest: city has cut to the bone! How clueless these leaders are, and we don't hold them accountable.   
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2009 at 10:13am
Paying an interim super the same rate as Price was making is a terrible action, only setting the stage for a much higher-priced new super from the search firm. Maybe Mr.Triick and his chamber should pony up some of the search costs, since they have championed the concept.

The interim pay rate + the search costs + the $300,000+ spent on a very ill-advised andover-extended failed land grab + 2% increases within the system surely indicated an educational system flush with $$ and in no need of any future levy increases down the road. Actually these expenditures were probably made to mandate unrgency/emergency tax increases in late 2010/2011.

Vote NO on anything and everything down the road.
Vote against every current office-holder in every aspect of city government.
When given the option of voting for multiple candidates to fill multiple seats, ONLY vote for the NEW names, to give them the best chance. If we elect them and they don't work out, then we replace them asap. 
Rocky2023 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky2023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 12:02am

Your right, here comes an emergency tax levy. 

I can see it now.  In 2011, the schools will be in such a financial dilemma that they will announce to cut out the bussing, eliminate sports - especially football, toss out several teachers - heck, the icing on the cake is a few sacrificial lambs.  That's the ticket to reach the tender hearted voters and those parents that both work.  How’s my child going to get to school ? 

The school board executive session will create their 2011 mission statement - "Intimidation to financialization"   

Its the same approach every time.  We will begin to see the $200 painted plywood signs around town telling voters to vote "YES" for issue "#4.  Once the issue is passed, back to work to abuse the authority, mis-direct funding and over spend.   WOW, the pressure is off for 2-3 years !

What the heck, why not follow Madison School Boards lead and take a trip to Las Vegas to have a board meeting.  OOPS, I’m thinking that our city council also had such a benchmarking expedition.

Have you ever seen the movie "Ground Hog Day" ? 

kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 1:24am
Agree 100% with Mr. Nagy.  FYI- Newark used OSBA for their super search.  Middletown BOE has used OSBA for the last several super searches.  I agree it's time for a change, even if the cost is more.  Am outraged at the 2% pay raise for administrators.  I guess they don't want renewal levies to pass.  Don't agree with the large pay for Norris Brown either.

The point I am at disagreement with is concerning the Frnaklin land.  Let me give you an example...you put up money to start a new business and turn all the profits over to me.  Would you do it? That is what is happening with the area in question.  Middletown is putting up the money to develop the area, but any real estate tax increases are going to Franklin schools.  I believe the money should follow who did the investing.  We had our best chance in the Ohio Supreme Court to argue this and this is when the BOE decides to  drop it.  

kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 1:41am
However, imo, even with the best new super in the country it will be impossible to turn things around to the degree most of us wish until the city lowers section 8 dramatically.  It is too huge of a drag on the schools to overcome.  It's just like in any manufacturing business, the quality of the finished product is directly the result of the raw materials put in.  With 70% free and reduced lunch kids your scores aren't going to be even close with any districts in Butler or Warrren counties.  It's just a fact.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 8:26am
Kasson,
     "Agree 100% with Mr. Nagy.  FYI- Newark used OSBA for their super search.  Middletown BOE has used OSBA for the last several super searches.  I agree it's time for a change, even if the cost is more.  Am outraged at the 2% pay raise for administrators.  I guess they don't want renewal levies to pass.  Don't agree with the large pay for Norris Brown either."

I concur with your assessment here. While I supported the independent, proactive search for a new Superintendent, I am also outraged by the pay raise for administrators, which they should be cutting back on while they support our teachers more. Also, I am outraged by the elitist attitude in giving the temporary Superintendent such an outrageous salary during these hard economic times. Where is the stewardship? This is a serious smack in the face to all who are attempting to support and move our school system forward.
    Thanks for your post.
    Paul Nagy
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 8:47am
kasson: Middletown had no legal challenge to Franklin in the Ohio Supreme Court. It would have continued a pattern of wasteful expenditures. As for the development costs, that has no impact upon Franklin's right to the tax benefits. The Ohio Supreme Ct would not have overturned the decision, just as anyone who knows the law and read the statutes (and precendant) knew the appeal would fail, except Ms. Andrews and Co. apparently. The building of the schools was simply "build it, they will come." They forgot you have to have solid scores before "they come" in open enrollment. MCSD finally fell on its sword, all the false rhetoric about "excellence" never materialized, and it won't.
Rocky2023 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky2023 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2009 at 9:51pm

How bold it was to approve a 2% pay raise for administrators.  Just consider the total disregard these individuals have for the community. 

AK is taking pay cuts, my business did not give increases and eliminated all bonuses, and have let go 3000 employees, eliminate medical benefits for spouses and now discussing the same as AK is considering. 

Yet, here in Middletown we approve a 2% increase.  These people really don't have any regard for the community.  In addition, look at all the empty houses and those that have lost their jobs.  We must do something to stop this insanity !

kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 12:39am
Looks as if Price was passed over for the Newark super.  Also, the Newark Advocate published the preliminary OAT results for Middletown. Leave it to an out of town paper to beat the Middletown Journal to local news!!!

Last Mon. night's board meeting Fiora asked Dr. Betsy Carter about our preliminary test results.  She gave him the run around and never answered his question saying he'd hav e to wait for the final ones in late Aug. or Sept.  Here they are published in the Newark paper!  Also, the next day (Tues. night) Price talked about the preliminary OAT scores to the Newark audience.  They get more info than we do. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic