FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kindergarten Readiness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kindergarten Readiness
    Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 6:45am

MIDDLETOWN — Most Middletown children entering kindergarten need extra help in some areas of literacy, according to recently released state test scores.

On average, most Middletown children score midrange on an initial measure of their oral language skills, rhyming, letter identification and alliteration.

The test — called the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment for Literacy, known as the KRA-L — is given to every student in Ohio within four weeks of starting school.

Last year, Middletown children scored 17.58 out of 29, up slightly from 16.49 in 2005.

Kindergarten Readiness Assessment 2008 – 2009
All scores are out of 29 points
Miller Ridge……….……20.94
Creekview………….…….18.76
Central Academy…..…18.60
Wildwood…………………18.35
Highview…………………..18.00
Rosa Parks………………..16.48
Mayfield…………………..15.37
Amanda……………………..14.71

Shame on us. We have spent millions of dollars on early education programs and these are the scores that we have to show for it. It's time for us to take a much closer look at these programs.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2009 at 9:01am
Please be careful Miss Vivian!  The next thing you know the Queen of Middletown will make private arrangements with the Interim Superintendent to ban you from from Middletown's public elementary schools in addition to the Historic Pioneer Cemetery!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 2:23pm
What happened at Amanda with a 14.71 ??
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 4:36pm

We have children in the 1st grade that don’t know their ABC’s and numbers to 100. The Parents, Preschools and Head Start Programs need to do a much better job getting these kids ready to start school. Middletown scores are at the bottom of the list as always. SHAME ON US!

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 2:46am
When they are that young, there is nobody to blame except the parents.  Our son turned 2 in late June.  He knows his ABC's, can count to 10 and can read a few words.

I am sure we have our share of bad (uninterested) teachers.  Parents need to be more involved!! Quit trying to blame others
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 5:47am
Ranger:  Give me a little time with the lad!

I'll have him reading the racing form, and counting at least double-deck black jack in no time!
LOL LOL 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 6:03am
Wink  LMAO....I was almost kicked out of Grand Victoria for counting cards.  You may have to teach us both to read a racing.  I've only been to Churchill Downs once and that was about 10 years ago.   You may have to take us to the track one day....
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2009 at 6:20am
I was barred from the BJ tables at the Marina in LV in 1983, and I didn't even know how to count!  (Actually, I still don't, although I do understand the theory.  Just lucky that weekend at the Marina, I guess.)  However, back when I used to follow the harness horses closely, I really was a pretty good handicapper.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
sara m. View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara m. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2009 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

We have children in the 1st grade that don’t know their ABC’s and numbers to 100.

This is so true.  When my kids started preschool, the teachers were surprised that they could already write and spell their names, identify and write all their letters, and count to 100.  My poor kids spent their entire preschool career being "taught" what they already know.  Apparently, a lot of kids don't know this stuff at age 3.

We just have taken it upon ourselves as parents to teach our kids certain basic skills.  The thing is, I have always found that kids just learn certain things at a certain age, whether you formally teach them or not.  My third child is taught a little less than the first two were, due to time restraints and a busier life, but he ends up surprising us by learning things like colors and his ABC's without formal teaching.

Why is it that kids can go an entire 6 years without picking this stuff up?
The Coupon Connoisseur
thecouponconnisseur@gmail.com

Let me tell you how to pay 75% less than everyone else!
mustang67 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 9:04pm
Children today have so many more options and ways to learn; however, parents are so busy running them from baby sitter to baby sitter or dance, sports, etc. I see parents spending more time shuffling their children from here to there w/o really spending time with them. Where is the family time? Where are The Basics? It's not time well spent. It's busy time. I'm not saying all parents are doing this; however, I do see many, making sure they fit in with everyone else, even if it isn't the best for their children. Children talk about their parents' divorces like it's nothing. Children talk about their parents living with their girlfriend/boyfriend like it's common place. It's time to get back to real family time. Education starts with the parents and the parents can't rely on the teachers to teach and do baby sitting. I know a few teachers that spend a lot of time having to deal with children that don't have parental support. They deal with discipline problems, which sometimes takes away time from teaching the class and if the teacher sends the child to the office ( either the school doesn't back the teacher or the parent is mad because they had to come into school ) Sad, Sad, Sad. Parents need to be parents. Parent need to help their children succeed, not only in school, but for life in general. So many children act like they are intitled to so much, even if they don't earn it. Parents need to STOP giving their children everything just because the kids want it and START giving their children what they need to become productive adults. Maybe all the early childhood schools aren't doing everything they could; however, some are and the scores still aren't up. We have a break down of the family and until the adults get back to parenting and taking time with their children to learn the basics, All the special classes, All the extra schooling, All the I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING won't work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic