FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Housing Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 4:55am
Mr. Nagy no highlights and the questions still persist and the comments don't change.  At $120 Million in 1995 for East Lake an estimate/guesstimate of $250 Million in 2009 is not an out of line guesstimate, no matter where the money comes from.  Middltown does not have near the conditions that East Lake had going for it in 1995.

$250 Million paves every road in Middletown, buys Towne Mall and redevelopes it and creates 1000's of jobs.  Of course the bottomline is where is the money going to come from to do either of these dreams.  I don't see 10 Corporations/governement stepping forward to drop $25 million each into the Second ward or the east end at this time or the near future.

The Villages of East Lake
460 East Lake Boulevard, Atlanta, GA 30317
404-373-9598  WEBSITE save favorite
AVERAGE RATING
recommended by:
9%

The Villages of East Lake
460 East Lake Boulevard, Atlanta, GA 30317
Jun 15, 2009 - tubbyd72 said:
THE WORST APRTMENTS EVER ! - I hated living hear th all passion of my soul. The ever changing staff was always inept, rude,and disingenuous. The amount of out of control kids in the neighborhood was horrendous. The security was useless. The notification of anything important going on in the neighborhood was terrible. They leave the most important information stuffed in your door to get easily blow away in the wind. ...Full review of The Villages of East Lake

DATE & OPINION
Sorted%20by%20date
RECOMMEND
RATING
06/15/2009 THE WORST APRTMENTS EVER ! NO 1.0
  I hated living hear th all passion of my soul. The ever changing staff was always inept, rude,and disingenuous. The amount of out of control kids in the neighborhood was horrendous. The security was useless. The notification of anything important ... more
06/04/2009 WOW BOWEN HOMES PT 2 !!!! NO 1.0
  Can someone help me with this why do they keep tearing down the projects and moving the same riff raft back into the newly renovated housing if they did'nt work then they're not going to work now ? That's defeating ... more
06/03/2009 EASTLAKE IS STILL THE HOOD!!!!!!! NO 2.0
  WILL LET ME SAY THIS ABOUT THE VILLAGES OF EASTLAKE IT'S NICE AND I HAVE BEEN LIVING IN EASTLAKE 4 2OR3YRS OKAY ABOUT A YEAR OR SO A GO I START GETTING SICK BADLY SICK MY DOCTORS WAS THINKING I ... more
12/22/2008 FREE AT LAST !!!!! NO 1.0
  I've moved finally and I'm here to inform you guys that 1 of the mopes that was breaking in apartments has been arrested....However there are many other elements to be aware of......All I Can Say Is that I'm HAPPY To ... more
12/11/2008 i am outta here NO 1.0
  after a long year and half we are leaving thank god. easthood will be leaving this dump in january. a new year better start. all people who want to live here please read every review , these people are telling ... more
09/18/2008 Avoid this complex like a plague NO 1.0
09/17/2008 No. keep going. Buckhead prices with Bankhead service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO 3.0
07/22/2008 I LOVE IT HERE! YES 4.0
06/21/2008 DO NOT WANT NO 1.0
01/02/2008 Rental office staff are very unfriendly NO 3.0
Hide 33 opinions about The Villages of East Lake.< id=rev_cnt value=43 =>
10/18/2007 Prospective Tenant deterred by your reviews NO 3.0
06/19/2007 Nicest Community in the area YES 4.0
05/30/2007 Seriously.....don't even look at this place!!!! NO 3.0
01/06/2007 Daughter almost killed NO 2.0
12/05/2006 A frustrating place to live NO 2.0
08/22/2006 THEY SUCK! NO 1.0
06/21/2006 Don't Believe the hype NO 1.0
06/08/2006 NO WAY!! DO NOT LIVE HERE NO 2.0
06/07/2006 Dont Do it! Turn BAck NOw ! NO 1.0
05/23/2006 no title NO 1.0
03/01/2006 Pretty but still the Projects NO 2.0
01/04/2006 too high too ghetto NO 3.0
11/10/2004 TOO MUCH MONEY NO 3.0
07/23/2004 blah NO 2.0
06/29/2004 nice apt in a gentrifying n'hood YES 3.0
06/18/2004 Convenient to Decatur and downtown NO 4.0
05/30/2004 Not Worth It.... one year was enough for me NO 2.0
04/16/2004 Hated it NO 2.0
03/31/2004 it could be worse YES 3.0
11/09/2003 Rats, Ghetto, Police - Think about it NO 2.0
10/11/2003 Mixed income housing is the dumbest idea ever NO 1.0
08/28/2003 You don?t always get what you pay for.. NO 2.0
07/21/2003 OVER PRICED NO 3.0
03/25/2003 Bankhead living with a Buckhead exterior NO 1.0
03/24/2003 Some of us Work and pay full price while other lazy people get an almost free ride! NO 3.0
01/09/2003 Location, Convenience, Great School YES 4.0
12/22/2002 This place used to be the Projects NO 3.0
12/07/2002 The Best Living Experience Ever YES 5.0
12/07/2002 A Novel Idea! YES 5.0
12/07/2002 Try it, you´ll LOVE IT! YES 5.0
12/05/2002 What looks good is not always good! NO 2.0
11/04/2002 DO NOT MOVE Here NO 2.0
08/30/2002 Find another place to live! NO 1.0
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 8:41am
Wasteful,
       Wow! I am aghast. Was I sold a bill of goods? These response were over several years and average from 5 -7 negative responses a year. I have to think that through when there are 500+ families in that development. But it certainly says something is wrong. I should have answers to my questions from East Lake this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll post them as soon as I receive them.
       Thanks for your homework. Back four years ago it was the bright star in development across the country and endorsed by all of the heavy weights.  Their achievfements were astounding. My what a day brings forth. The world is getting crazier by the hour. 
        Paul Nagy
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 9:29am

Wasteful

Years ago I was involved in the building of many of the HUD Multi-Complex Dwellings in the tri-county area. Many were well thought out designs that offered a much better lifestyle for low income residents….HOWEVER….Two years later we found that we had a newly built ghetto. The lesson learned was it only takes a few really bad residents to bring down an entire area of this type of housing….and it is very difficult to get rid of them once they are residents because of current laws. SO the lesson to remember is just because you build a new school does not mean that all the students will suddenly become super smart....and just because you place people in new housing that their personilities and vaulues will suddenly change.
The key to success of this type of community is the screening of the residents before they move in.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 9:54am
Absolutely, Ms.Moon.
A brief, amazingly accurate assessment of the process and issues involved.
And simply basic common sense.
Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 12:55pm

From: BUILDER 2009 -- Posted on: July 15, 2009 12:30:00 PM

HUD Seeks to Broaden HOPE VI Concept

Choice Neighborhoods Initiative would provide funding for education and transportation initiatives as well as housing.

HUD wants to create stronger communities by taking the federal HOPE VI revitalization program to the next level, according to a July 14 speech by HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

At the Brookings Institution event, Donovan announced the availability of an additional $113 million in HOPE VI funding through the end of the year. But these funds come with stipulations that in some ways expand the program’s scope beyond low-income housing: HUD will now award extra points to public housing authorities that incorporate early childhood education into their applications, as well as smart growth and energy efficient development strategies.

It establishes the groundwork for a broader program that HUD officials have proposed as a replacement for HOPE VI.  The Choice Neighborhoods Initiative, for which HUD has requested $250 million in its proposed fiscal year 2010 budget--an amount nearly double the $130 million appropriated for HOPE VI this year--espouses a more holistic view. If approved, it will expand the range of activities eligible for urban renewal funding beyond public housing to include education and transportation. Public-private collaboration among local governments, non-profits, private firms, and public housing agencies will be encouraged.

“Our federal policies have not kept up with reality. We have become a metropolitan nation, and our current policies do not reflect this,” Donovan said in his opening remarks, noting that 90 cents of every dollar in the U.S. economy is now generated by cities and their surrounding metro areas, which house more than two-thirds of the population.

The multidisciplinary framework behind Choice Neighborhoods is consistent with similar efforts by HUD in recent months to align its agenda with those of other federal agencies (HUD recently announced a Sustainable Communities initiative in partnership with DOT and EPA, for example).  On the topic of community revitalization, the agency has pledged to work with the Department of Education and other federal entities to create what Donovan referred to in his keynote remarks as “the geography of opportunity." This is a concept that acknowledges the importance of the built environment while acknowledging that physical structures are not the magic solution to eradicating poverty.

Speaking during the same event, former HUD secretary Henry Cisneros noted that the best examples of transformed neighborhoods include mixed-income housing where “you can’t tell who is a public housing resident and who is not. What’s needed is not just a physical strategy, but one of income integration.” 

From a policy standpoint, Donovan said the government also must concentrate on removing existing barriers to sustainable development. Among them: limits on allowable commercial space that inhibit mixed-use development, and federal affordability metrics that currently fail to acknowledge transportation costs as a factor in affordable housing. 

Addressing areas hit hard by foreclosures will also be an important focus moving forward, he said, noting that some renewal efforts have been stymied by problems arising in adjacent neighborhoods. "A HOPE VI development that is surrounded by disinvestment, by failing schools, or by other distressed housing has virtually no chance of truly succeeding," Donovan said.

Since the inception of HOPE VI in 1993, some 248 revitalization grants have been awarded to 130 housing authorities for a total of $6 billion. That sum, Donovan was quick to note, "has leveraged almost three times that amount in additional development capital--$17.5 billion, providing a very good return for the taxpayer, indeed."

“Now we need to find a way to unlock the market response to concerns about things like energy efficiency and patterns of sprawl," Donovan added. "We need to allow the market to price in those kinds of changes in a way that government cannot.”

Jenny Sullivan is senior editor covering design and community planning for BUILDER.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 4:33pm
Here is the email I sent.

If you could give me a response to the following questions that I can forward on to the readers of middletownusa.com I would appreciate it.
       1.Does the mixed-income strategy worsen the city's homeless problem and is that one of the effects of evictions in a new East Lake type development?
       2. East Lake received a 19% approval rate out of 37 reviews with posters lodging similiar complaints of poor security, uncleanliness, unrule neighbors and unresponsive management. What is your reaction to this?
       3. Are middle-income people or market-rate people comfortable paying rent and living in a mixed-income community?
       4. Augusta, Georgia seemed negative toward the project from the beginning. They said that Atlanta had things going for them that Augusta did not. If that is the case why is an East Lake type project good for Augusta or any other city that doesn't have what Atlanta had going for it?  
       5. A number of negative reviews were recently posted about East Lake by tenants from 2002 to 2009. Could you please respond to those reviews in general.

Thank you for your early response.
         Paul Nagy

Here is the reply I received.

Dear Paul,

Thank you for these thoughtful questions.  I am working on the responses and will run them by Carol early next week so you can pass the information along.  I also wanted to know if Bill Triick is aware of the postings?  We have been working closely with him, so I’m sure he would be interested to know about the dialogue in Middletown and could perhaps weigh in on some answers as well.

In the meantime, here are two sites that I found very helpful when researching the East Lake model and other communities that are similar:

·         Report on East Lake before and after:  http://www.eastlakefoundation.org/sites/courses/view.asp?id=346&page=45322

·         Atlanta Housing Authority’s material, video and information: http://www.atlantahousing.org/portfolio/index.cfm?fuseaction=qli

Thanks and I’ll get back to you with answers as soon as possible!

Laura

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 5:29pm

Mr. Nagy
Who is Laura and Carole?

And what does Bill Triick have to do with this project?

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 6:45pm
Hahaha Vivian I was wondering the same thing about Laura and Carole?  And what does Bill Triick have to do with this? 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 10:59pm
Vivian,
       Carol is the Executive Director of the East Lake type developments throughout the country. Laura (who is new to me) is her secretary. I don't really know what Bill Triick has to do with all of this except a year or so ago I publicly (at a Council meeting) asked him to run with this project. I have been invisible to it since then and I really don't know much of what is going on with it.
      When you asked about what went on at the MUM meeting that was news to me. Thats all folks! If I hear anymore I'll let you know.
      Thank you for your interest and keep pushing our city forward to solve its problems.
       Paul Nagy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic