FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Housing Community

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Housing Community
    Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 4:17pm
I have been giving some thought to where I would design and place a new large scale community here in Middletown that would connect to the downtown and bring new business and people into the area and also solve many of the current problems with the older houses that are now on the market.

PLAN # 1  Start at the corner of Verity & 1st Ave go East up 1st Ave to Garfield Street; turn right and go South on Garfield and make it connect to 14th Ave; go right on 14th to Yankee Road; turn right on Yankee Road to Verity; turn right again and return to 1st Ave. All the houses on the East side of
Garfield would be removed and turned into a green park like buffer zone for Cohen Bros,and General Chemical. Central School area would remain and could  be enlarged.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 6:39pm
I forgot to state that PLAN #1 would be low to mid priced housing

Now if I were going to design a smaller community of mid priced condos
I might think of the other side of Verity Parkway

PLAN #2 Start at the corner of Yankee & Second and go East to Verity; then South down Verity to Yankee Road; then right on Yankee and back to Second Ave.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 9:30am
Vivian I think we have more than enough low income housing to go around as it is, we don't need to be contributing to it anymore.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 10:12am
Pacman
    City Hall is now talking about establishing a new community like the one that Paul Nagy has wanted for some time called
East Lake. This new planned community would require a great many houses and even blocks of houses in Ward 2 to be torn down to make way for this new community to feed the businesses of downtown merchants. It would replace the current Section 8 single housing units and I believe it would increase the current number of Section 8 rental units available.
    I’ve been told that several people from City Hall have recently visited
Atlanta, Ga. to see this community.
    So Pacman, like it or not this is what City Hall has in mind for the future of
Middletown. This is what all that HUD & CDBG money will fund in the future. I guess the only question now is where will it be located in Ward 2, how large will this planned community be and how many units will be built.
    I guess this was part of the plan that has been discussed at the MUM meeting last Thursday night.
    If my guess is right it will be within the area of my PLAN #1 so it would connect to the downtown area.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 10:31am
Vivian- problem is- if we bulldoze this area and rebuild with condos and new housing, would we have any confidence at all that this same area wouldn't be in the same condition x number of years from now? If the situation stayed status quo, this area would attract the same stereotypes that are occupying it now. To generalize, if you provide new, modern housing for people who either don't know how, are too lazy, or don't have the money to take care of their property, the new modern housing, within a few years, reverts back to the condition of the housing that was replaced and resembles a futuristic movie with an apocalytic theme. IMO, it does no good to set up programs for the lower income/HUD/Section 8 folks, if they consistently demonstrate that they have no desire to make an effort to have pride in the things that they own and in themselves. It's been said many times before- you can be considered poor, but you can still have pride/dignity in the things you do own and how you want to be perceived by people. If the information about creating a new community for Section 8 condos is true, it is the wrong direction for the Section 8 program. Need to REDUCE, not INCREASE Section 8 influence in this town. IF- IF MR. Nagy has proposed this, I do not agree with his thinking and this theme of creating a poor HUDTOWN has got to stop. Hopefully, this is not true, Mr. Nagy. Even more reason to clean out the city leaders, fire the city manager and find the people responsible for this saturation and run them out of town. This thinking is not wanted in this town by the majority. I hate what these people are doing to my hometown.   
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 1:35pm

"IF- IF MR. Nagy has proposed this, I do not agree with his thinking and this theme of creating a poor HUDTOWN has got to stop. Hopefully, this is not true, Mr. Nagy."

Vet,
     Lots of "If" speculating here with no substantial facts.

The East Lake type development that I and others proposed several years ago was designed to solve a lot of city problems such as; reducing crime, giving better school grades to students from low income homes, cleaning out the projects, controlling Section 8 housing, providing jobs and cleaning up sections of the city in order to make it more inviting to outsiders and businesses contemplating a move to Middletown.

The East Lake Development in Atlanta, Georgia is a remarkable success story that there isn't enough space to tell here. Briefly, it was the worse ghetto in the country when it started with the highest crime rate in the country and childrens education was nil. After the East Lake Development got developed with its housing project and Charter school things got done in a way that impressed the whole nation. People were taken off of Section 8 in a remarkable way, crime was reduced by 87% and the children in that wonderful Charter School get the highest grade scores in the whole State. 

I am most interested in all of those things happening here and I believe they can. What happened here was that certain people said that if Nagy had anything to do with it they would see it didn't happen. In the course of things, I agreed upon request that I would become invisible to the project if they continued it. I'm more interested in getting the project done than in who gets credit for anything. I have kept my word on that and you and others probably know as much about it as I do. 

My understanding is that some have gone to Atlanta and there is some interest in doing that kind of Development. I am most interested in what I heard recently in a Council meeting of a proposal by the Place Matters group They suggested that downtown, the Douglas Park area and the Damon Park area be viewed as one whole developing block. I heartily concur with that. 

The important things to know about the project I proposed was that Section 8 is controlled. The project I proposed was to have about 550 mixed income housing units. Half of those were to be section 8 who were to be assisted in getting employment and removed from Section 8 in 3- 5 years. That was built in to the program. Remember, also, this  was proposed when council was having a lot of personal infighting and the economy had not fallen yet. Had they gone ahead we would be probably finishing up that development about now and have had plenty of work with various pay level jobs for a couple of years. The project would range from about 150 million dollars to 250 million dollars. Most importantly our children from low income homes would be getting a better education and higher grade scores and have the same smile on their faces that you see at East Lake. Even now, this project would do great things for our city. Downtown doesn't need more millions thrown at it. It needs what it had in the 50's and 60's. It needs people. 550 families in close proximity to downtown would give our city a big lift.

There is a lot more that could be said about the program but I think that puts it in perspective for you as to what was proposed by me and others at the time. i'm not sure what is going on now but if it is true to the East Lake schematic I'm all for it. It is a remarkable program and thought by many to be the best in the United States.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul Nagy

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 2:14pm
Mr. Nagy
Gee, 550 units is a really large project.
Was the East Lake Project part of the discussion at the MUM meeting last Thursday? 
I guess I don't understand the target area going from Downtown to Damon Park. I look foreward to hearing more about this project.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 2:55pm
Vivian,
     I really don't know. The 550 units I proposed was four years ago. Yes, it is a big project. I haven't attended any of the current meetings. I'm invisible to this current project.
     Thanks for the question.
      Paul Nagy

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 2:57pm
Mr. Nagy- Very informative. I agree with this plan. That's why I introduced the rumor possibility and mentioned "IF" you had suggested the earlier post. I can see that your suggestions concerning East Lake offered many solutions that would be a positive direction versus the Section 8 program we currently have. I would be a strong supporter of any program that would reduce/reverse the current direction of Section 8. The last thing we need in this town is for the city leaders to invite more HUD/Section 8 participation. We need to upgrade the town's status/perception- not destroy it as they are doing. 500 or so Section 8 participants sounds like a number we could live with. Would be nice if we could distribute the remainder of the 1662 back to the rest of the Butler County cities. Thank you for setting us straight on the facts for the East Lake program.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 3:06pm
Hate 2 butt in here, BUT:
I was invited to a presentation on this very topic BY Mr.Nagy quite a while back.
To me--this sounds pretty much like Mr.Nagy's project minus his name and any credit.
Whatever--let's hope something positive like this happens.
Doesn't matter who gets the accolades, and let them go to those "geniuses" over on the dark side .
Still--it is/was Mr.Nagy's concept pretty much as diagrammed by whomever is the leader now.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 4:43pm

Viet, I do not believe that the amount of Section 8 housing would be reduced to 550 units even with the completion of this new community project. I believe it will be years before the Section 8 is reduced to below 1600 units here in Middletown.

Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 7:37pm
Ms. Moon,

In researching the Eastlake project in Atlanta, I found that the replacement of severely blighted HUD public housing units was the initial impetus for this undertaking.  The highly competitive and lightly funded HOPE VI program of HUD was one of several tools that was used over the past 14 years there.  Also, there was significant corporate involvement from the Atlanta metro area as well.

I could be wrong, but I am of the opinion that an Eastlake project will have no bearing on the future number of Section 8 units here.  I will continue my research and report my findings.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 8:03pm
Vivian- ahh, but if we change the players on Council and change the Section 8 program to reflect less of an impact as to poverty in this town(ie- get rid of all but what we should have as to numbers), along with requiring any members of the city building employee staff to leave if they don't want to go along with the new program, wouldn't that change the complexion of the impact of this "program of blight"? If we don't gut Council, we'll never know.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 8:32pm
Viet, I would hope that replacing the City Council would reduce the Section 8 housing units in Middletown....however....we now have a huge number (over 1,000 as per Mr. Adkins) of empty housing units in town. Who do you think will be buying these houses?...Contractors...Who will they be renting to?....Section 8.
Viet I really believe that the number of Section 8 will go up over the next year. Ms Gilleland needs these funds to help pay city employees. I guess we will just need to wait and see how the City will use all these funds.
goverment grants.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 8:51pm
Vivian- but if we change the Section 8 program to eliminate the number of vouchers and eliminate most of the 1662 currently on the books, there will not be the number of Section 8 renters for the contractors to fill the empty homes in the city. And, if the contractors won't buy them to rehab for potential Section 8 due to a lowering of Section 8 numbers, we'll get the bulldozers to knock down the dilapidated ones if other vested interest people won't buy them. The new Council make-up could make what Gilleland wants a mute point on this matter. She also may not need to pay as many city employees if we cut the deadwood from the city ranks (not unlike many cites are doing in this economic crisis such as Cincy)
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 8:59pm
ClapClapClap
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 9:11pm

Viet, I hope you're correct. I would like to see this number go down. We really need to get some good paying jobs in Middletown to attract people who can afford to purchase their own home. We now have why to many rental properties.

tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 11:20pm
There in lies  the problem, How are you going to assist these residents to get jobs when we have the largest unemployment rate(12%) in the county. The best they could even hope for would be a minimum wage job which it would be more profitable to let our government take care of them( which has cause more decline than good). I think we would be adding more fuel to a  already out of control fire.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 9:18am
$250,000,000.00 for 550+/- People/families, in a city of 51000 people/families.  With that amount of money you could pave every road in Middletown, Buy Towne Mall facility and re-develop it into possibly thousands of jobs which would benefit the whole city.  You folks are betting a hell of a lot of money and your city on a very small group of people who have a poor track record of being able to be self-sufficient even with considerable help.Thumbs%20Down

I can see now why some of the residents want to do away with the ward system and downsize council to 5.  You as a city are making poor business decisions to the detriment of the city as a whole. 
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 9:51am
I do not think we have the right people downtown to make a success out of a project like this.  You would be gambling to see if they could get this done, and we really do not have the resources to waste a lot of money right now.  Section 8 will not be going down anytime soon.  With the raise of min wage that mean employers will hire less to keep their profits high or just to break even. 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 11:37am
Ima B. Lever,
         I could be wrong, but I am of the opinion that an Eastlake project will have no bearing on the future number of Section 8 units here. 

You are wrong. An East Lake type project would bring under control the current number of Section 8 and would specifically address the  planned reduction use of vouchers within the program for the future.

Wasteful,
       "$250,000,000.00 for 550+/- People/families, in a city of 51000 people/families.  With that amount of money you could pave every road in Middletown, Buy Towne Mall facility and re-develop it into possibly thousands of jobs which would benefit the whole city.  You folks are betting a hell of a lot of money and your city on a very small group of people who have a poor track record of being able to be self-sufficient even with considerable help."

Wasteful,
         Your conclusions are as wrong as your assumption that $150,000,000 to $250,000,000 is for 550+/-  People/families. No one know what the bottom line is as the proposal has never been defined. Those are guesstimates. You need to study the whole proposal. It includes a lot of road paving, Construction (mostly funded from private money), tearing down projects, demolition of old buildings, etc. etc., and other city development. It may never happen but if it does happen the way it is at East Lake it is anything but wasteful and I would ask you to tell us a better and more substantial way to revamp a dying industrial city.  

Thanks for your interest and I hope you and others will continue to think and discuss these things thats how we will bring ourselves out of this situation.

Paul Nagy
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 1:11pm
Eastlake community in Atlanta stirs questions
What does the future of poverty look like?
By Johnny Edwards| Staff Writer
Sunday, July 06, 2008
storyTools();
ATLANTA --- In the early 1990s, Techwood Homes was a pit of inner-city blight and violence. storyPhotos();

The East Lake Foundation's mixed income housing units can be seen from the pool area. The former notorious Atlanta housing project has been replaced with modern single family units, a charter school, golf course and a YMCA on the grounds.

Now only sparse elements of it remain -- two senior housing high-rises, some 60-year-old oak trees and a single brick building, preserved for antiquity, with the cupola where President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated Techwood in 1935.

In place of it are rows of custom-brick buildings with apartments and two- and three-story townhouses, with two swimming pools and landscaped greenery.

A new model for public housing had its genesis in Atlanta, where the nation's first federal housing project became the prototype mixed-income community. Housing authority CEO Renee's Glover's stated goal is to eradicate all of the city's projects, and her counterparts in Augusta sent people there last year in an attempt to sell the concept.

When Atlanta implemented the mixed-income strategy, the city had things going for it that Augusta won't: the pre- and post-Olympics building boom of the 1990s, a gentrification trend, a multimillionaire philanthropist and a community anchored by Bobby Jones' home golf course.

"That thing was hailed as the new coming, and it wasn't at all," said Richmond County Neighborhood Alliance President Sammie Sias, who took the bus trip provided by the Augusta Housing Authority and wasn't impressed.

With the help of a $42.6 million federal Hope VI grant, Atlanta demolished Techwood in time for the 1996 Olympics and replaced it with Centennial Place. The Villages of East Lake, another much-touted mixed-income community, came out of a massive effort by developer Tom Cousins, who in collaboration with Ms. Glover used East Lake Golf Club to turn a ghetto once known as Little Vietnam into a neighborhood where new homes sell for $1 to $2 million.

Mr. Cousins, the developer of the CNN Center and the first phase of the Georgia World Congress Center, has said he took on the East Lake Meadows housing project after Atlanta's police chief told him the neighborhood was churning out more prison inmates than any other in the city.

He bought the club in 1993 and poured $25 million into rehabbing it, restoring its "great hall" in honor of Jones, a co-founder of Augusta National Golf Club. The nonprofit East Lake Community Foundation raised $120 million for the neighborhood through donations, bonds, tax credits and government funds.

After the housing authority prevailed in a lawsuit filed by displaced residents, East Lake Meadows was razed and in its place came The Villages of East Lake, which has a 50-50 ratio of public housing to market rate units. Dismally performing Drew Elementary School was replaced with Drew Charter School, where golf is incorporated into the curriculum and physical education classes use an attached YMCA.

Centennial Place and East Lake were the first and second of 15 mixed-income developments in Atlanta completed or under construction. Now, simply demolishing projects and moving dirt spurs development in an area, said Richard White, the president of The Alisias Group, the housing authority's publicity firm.

Even during the economic boom of the 1990s, few people invested in the area of Carver Homes in south Atlanta. With construction ongoing at The Villages at Carver and nearby McDaniel Glen, new rooftops are sprouting up -- duplexes, apartments and detached homes marketing for $200,000 to $300,000.

When she was a teenager, Kimberly Woolfolk said she watched a man get shot at an intersection in East Lake, and she considered the area rife with crime and drugs. But as a single parent of two daughters, she rented an affordable housing unit in The Villages of East Lake for five years.

She put her daughters in the on-site day-care center when they were younger, then later they attended Drew Charter School.

"You don't get singled out," Ms. Woolfolk, 30, said, "and you don't get treated like you're different than anyone else. Basically, you have a chance to improve your life."

Antoine Shearer II similarly benefitted from Centennial Place, having moved into an affordable housing unit with his fiancee four years ago. Now the couple and their two daughters live in a new townhouse on the site that they bought for $162,000 through an assistance program. It was recently appraised for $300,000, Mr. Shearer said.

Though he's glad to have a nest egg, he wonders whether helping a dozen or so people like himself was worth displacing hundreds.

"When you look at the aesthetics of it, it's better," Mr. Shearer, 39, said. "But what happens to the people?"

Anita Beaty, the executive director of the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless, said the mixed-income strategy has worsened the city's homeless problem. The loss of public housing units has people on waiting lists lingering in shelters, she said. She also alleges that when the housing authority sets out to raze a complex, before relocating residents it evicts as many as it can by aggressively enforcing lease agreements.

No comprehensive, nationwide study of the strategy's effects has been completed. Narrowly focused studies, both by a Georgia Institute of Technology economics professor and the Urban Institute social policy think tank, reported that families who left traditional public housing -- either through Section 8 vouchers or by returning to mixed-income communities -- made strides in quality of life as opposed to families that remained in projects.

Other indicators show all isn't well.

On the Web site ApartmentRatings.com, Centennial Place has a 26 percent recommendation rate out of 73 reviews, with naysayers deriding poor security, uncleanliness, unruly neighbors and unresponsive management.

The Villages of East Lake fared worse with a 19 percent approval rate out of 37 reviews, with posters lodging similar complaints.

Such sentiments point to an often-overlooked aspect of the concept: its success or failure depends not on appeal to public housing tenants, but to market-rate customers whose rents keep it afloat, said John H. Hiscox, the executive director of the Macon Housing Authority, which aided by a $19.3 million Hope VI grant replaced Oglethorpe Homes housing project with Tattnall Place.

"It's risky business," Mr. Hiscox said. "What really has to be proven is whether the middle-income people or market rate people are going to be comfortable paying rent and living in a mixed-income community."

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 1:34pm
Well, Ima B. Lever (alias),
         This is sad news to me. I'll check it out and get back to you on the current status of East lake. Again, I've not been involved for three or four years.
          Paul Nagy
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2009 at 4:21pm

HUD Secretary Praises Green HOPE VI Projects, Defends Choice Neighborhoods Initiative

HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan recently delivered the keynote address during a HUD-sponsored conference held to highlight the application of green building and energy efficient technologies within the HOPE VI program. The “HOPE VI Green Building and Energy Efficient Development Conference” was held in Washington, D.C. on June 25 and 26 and was presented by HUD as an opportunity “to train, educate and inform Public Housing Authorities, affordable housing developers and contractors on how to plan, design, build and maintain energy efficient affordable housing communities.”

The Secretary portrayed the conference as part of a larger HUD effort “to make America’s housing more energy efficient.” The Secretary noted that in addition to HOPE VI grants, HUD has made $600 million available—through funding provided under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA)—for PHAs to create more energy efficient public housing units. Secretary Donovan reminded the audience that HUD also recently entered into an interagency partnership with the Department of Energy to streamline the eligibility of HUD public and assisted housing units for the Department of Energy’s ARRA weatherization funding.

During his speech, Secretary Donovan lauded the achievements of the HOPE VI program, noting that “over the last 17 years, 248 HOPE VI sites have been built at 131 public housing authorities in 35 different states.” Saying that HOPE VI “has…provided a good return for the taxpayer” and “changed the face of public housing,” the Secretary observed that the federal government’s investment of $6 billion in the program has leveraged $17.5 billion in additional investment capital, and that the more than 92,000 units demolished through the program have been replaced by more than 107,000 new or renovated units—more than half of which are or will be affordable to the lowest-income households.

Despite the program’s strong track record, the Obama administration’s FY 2010 budget proposal includes no funding for the HOPE VI program. Instead, the administration has proposed replacing HOPE VI with a new program known as the Choice Neighborhoods Initiative (CNI). Although the administration is requesting $250 million for the CNI for FY 2010—$130 million more than was appropriated for HOPE VI for FY 2009—the range of eligible CNI activities “would be broader than public housing transformation” in that resources could be used “to support the transformation of assisted housing development, the acquisition and renovation (or replacement) of unsubsidized, privately owned stock, and the construction of mixed income housing in strategic locations.” Eligible grantees would include local governments, nonprofits, and for-profit developers in addition to local public housing agencies.

During his June 25 speech, Secretary Donovan said that despite the successes of the program, “we believe we have only begun to tap the potential of the ideas and practices of HOPE VI.” The Secretary argued in favor of the administration’s CNI proposal, saying that “for safe, affordable housing to be truly sustainable, it needs access to the good schools, child care, health care, public transportation, and retail businesses that are staples of every vibrant community.”

By broadening the range of eligible program activities and the pool of eligible applicants, Secretary Donovan stressed that the CNI would “build on the legacy and lessons of HOPE VI” while also supporting the transformation of assisted housing development, the acquisition and renovation or replacement of unsubsidized, privately owned stock, and the construction of mixed-income housing in strategic locations. Although the administration’s CNI proposal does not include a guarantee that a certain amount of CNI funding would be earmarked for public housing revitalization efforts, the Secretary has previously stated “there is three times more public housing that is in troubled condition and located in neighborhoods of high poverty than there is assisted housing” and indicated that HUD expects that the large majority of CNI resources would be directed toward public housing as opposed to assisted (Section 8) housing.

Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 3:32am

Nelson (Ima B. Lever),
      Now lets look at the same article without the prejudicial highlighting while I'm waiting for a response to specific questions from East Lake.
      Thank you.
       Paul Nagy

Originally posted by Ima B. Lever Ima B. Lever wrote:

Eastlake community in Atlanta stirs questions
What does the future of poverty look like?
By Johnny Edwards| Staff Writer
Sunday, July 06, 2008
storyTools();
ATLANTA --- In the early 1990s, Techwood Homes was a pit of inner-city blight and violence. storyPhotos();

The East Lake Foundation's mixed income housing units can be seen from the pool area. The former notorious Atlanta housing project has been replaced with modern single family units, a charter school, golf course and a YMCA on the grounds.

Now only sparse elements of it remain -- two senior housing high-rises, some 60-year-old oak trees and a single brick building, preserved for antiquity, with the cupola where President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated Techwood in 1935.

In place of it are rows of custom-brick buildings with apartments and two- and three-story townhouses, with two swimming pools and landscaped greenery.

A new model for public housing had its genesis in Atlanta, where the nation's first federal housing project became the prototype mixed-income community. Housing authority CEO Renee's Glover's stated goal is to eradicate all of the city's projects, and her counterparts in Augusta sent people there last year in an attempt to sell the concept.

When Atlanta implemented the mixed-income strategy, the city had things going for it that Augusta won't: the pre- and post-Olympics building boom of the 1990s, a gentrification trend, a multimillionaire philanthropist and a community anchored by Bobby Jones' home golf course.

"That thing was hailed as the new coming, and it wasn't at all," said Richmond County Neighborhood Alliance President Sammie Sias, who took the bus trip provided by the Augusta Housing Authority and wasn't impressed.

With the help of a $42.6 million federal Hope VI grant, Atlanta demolished Techwood in time for the 1996 Olympics and replaced it with Centennial Place. The Villages of East Lake, another much-touted mixed-income community, came out of a massive effort by developer Tom Cousins, who in collaboration with Ms. Glover used East Lake Golf Club to turn a ghetto once known as Little Vietnam into a neighborhood where new homes sell for $1 to $2 million.

Mr. Cousins, the developer of the CNN Center and the first phase of the Georgia World Congress Center, has said he took on the East Lake Meadows housing project after Atlanta's police chief told him the neighborhood was churning out more prison inmates than any other in the city.

He bought the club in 1993 and poured $25 million into rehabbing it, restoring its "great hall" in honor of Jones, a co-founder of Augusta National Golf Club. The nonprofit East Lake Community Foundation raised $120 million for the neighborhood through donations, bonds, tax credits and government funds.

After the housing authority prevailed in a lawsuit filed by displaced residents, East Lake Meadows was razed and in its place came The Villages of East Lake, which has a 50-50 ratio of public housing to market rate units. Dismally performing Drew Elementary School was replaced with Drew Charter School, where golf is incorporated into the curriculum and physical education classes use an attached YMCA.

Centennial Place and East Lake were the first and second of 15 mixed-income developments in Atlanta completed or under construction. Now, simply demolishing projects and moving dirt spurs development in an area, said Richard White, the president of The Alisias Group, the housing authority's publicity firm.

Even during the economic boom of the 1990s, few people invested in the area of Carver Homes in south Atlanta. With construction ongoing at The Villages at Carver and nearby McDaniel Glen, new rooftops are sprouting up -- duplexes, apartments and detached homes marketing for $200,000 to $300,000.

When she was a teenager, Kimberly Woolfolk said she watched a man get shot at an intersection in East Lake, and she considered the area rife with crime and drugs. But as a single parent of two daughters, she rented an affordable housing unit in The Villages of East Lake for five years.

She put her daughters in the on-site day-care center when they were younger, then later they attended Drew Charter School.

"You don't get singled out," Ms. Woolfolk, 30, said, "and you don't get treated like you're different than anyone else. Basically, you have a chance to improve your life."

Antoine Shearer II similarly benefitted from Centennial Place, having moved into an affordable housing unit with his fiancee four years ago. Now the couple and their two daughters live in a new townhouse on the site that they bought for $162,000 through an assistance program. It was recently appraised for $300,000, Mr. Shearer said.

Though he's glad to have a nest egg, he wonders whether helping a dozen or so people like himself was worth displacing hundreds.

"When you look at the aesthetics of it, it's better," Mr. Shearer, 39, said. "But what happens to the people?"

Anita Beaty, the executive director of the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless, said the mixed-income strategy has worsened the city's homeless problem. The loss of public housing units has people on waiting lists lingering in shelters, she said. She also alleges that when the housing authority sets out to raze a complex, before relocating residents it evicts as many as it can by aggressively enforcing lease agreements.

No comprehensive, nationwide study of the strategy's effects has been completed. Narrowly focused studies, both by a Georgia Institute of Technology economics professor and the Urban Institute social policy think tank, reported that families who left traditional public housing -- either through Section 8 vouchers or by returning to mixed-income communities -- made strides in quality of life as opposed to families that remained in projects.

Other indicators show all isn't well.

On the Web site ApartmentRatings.com, Centennial Place has a 26 percent recommendation rate out of 73 reviews, with naysayers deriding poor security, uncleanliness, unruly neighbors and unresponsive management.

The Villages of East Lake fared worse with a 19 percent approval rate out of 37 reviews, with posters lodging similar complaints.

Such sentiments point to an often-overlooked aspect of the concept: its success or failure depends not on appeal to public housing tenants, but to market-rate customers whose rents keep it afloat, said John H. Hiscox, the executive director of the Macon Housing Authority, which aided by a $19.3 million Hope VI grant replaced Oglethorpe Homes housing project with Tattnall Place.

"It's risky business," Mr. Hiscox said. "What really has to be proven is whether the middle-income people or market rate people are going to be comfortable paying rent and living in a mixed-income community."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic