FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MY PLAN FOR COMMUNITY REVITALIZATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MY PLAN FOR COMMUNITY REVITALIZATION
    Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 4:48pm

It seems everything that is proposed to revitalize our city is shot down. It isn't easy to run a city. Considering the economic times and the situation our city is in, what is your plan for bringing our city back with new businesses, jobs, paving, etc.? What could the city propose that you would support? Speak up everyone!

Paul Nagy
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 7:42pm
PART 1

Mr. Nagy Middletown seems to be its own worse enemy when it comes to re-invigorating itself.

It is not the responsibility of one City and it's people to become the caretaker of the County's poor and poverty stricken.  Middletown's Management and Leadership have put us in that position.  Some of Middletown's mis-guided leaders and employees have made Middletown the Section 8 capital of Butler County for the very poor reason of the almighty dollar.  Though the City leadership likes to gloss over what the employees and leaders have done I think many of us know who and why this was done and it is a terrible situation that we have been placed in.

What would I do, and it may seem harsh but it is how I look at the situation and you will not get out of this mess without some casualties;

1) I would immediately terminate the Section 8 waiting list, which according to Marconi has 500 individuals/families on the list, and not re-instate it until the Section 8 Voucher program was brought in line with the percent of the City's population in the County, which would be about 400-500 Section 8 Vouchers.

2)  I would immediately inform HUD that we are cutting approximately 1100-1250 Section 8 Vouchers from this program and that they can either get on board with our program and move the vouchers elsewhere, to Warren and Butler County, or we will terminate the program and the Vouchers can all be moved to BMH.

3)   I Would inform BMH that Middletown will no longer approve any further Public Housing, Low Income Housing, Section 8 Housing, or any other program of this type to be placed in Middletown and that they must look to West Chester and other communities to step up and shoulder some of the responsibility.  I would make no exceptions to this directive.  All current facilities in Middletown must be up to snuff inspection wise and cleaned up or they will be shut down.  Once again BMH can get on board or get out.  Middletown will no longer be a dumping ground for this type of program that strains it's resources, it's residents, it's businesses and the rest of the county must step up and help.

4)  I would fire the people at City hall responsible for the Section 8 mess that we have been saddled with.  No longer would we take such programs to simply get a share of the Management fee to simply pay a few employees a salary.  if this meant that 3-4 employees who are currently paid from Section 8 funds must go so be it.  But I would fire the employees and management responsible for this mess.

5)  I would make the inspection and maintaining of all Section 8 housing properties stringent and the landlords would know that the days of a free ride on the shoulders of the Citizens of Middletown are over. 

6)  I would make the demolishing of Vacant and condemned properties a priority in Middletown.  I would put together a Dept. of 4 to 5 people and lease equipment if need be to keep on top of taking down such structures.

7)  Once this was accomplished and I felt that Middletown could show the Business community that we mean business about taking our City back then I would move to start forming relationships with Corporations to start investing in Middletown.  Middletown must first show they are serious about improving itself, currently they are not.

This may sound harsh to many but it is what must be done to break the cycle of importing more poverty into Middletown and just sitting back and watching the city destroy itself.  The poverty rate in Middletown went from 12% to 22% in just 5-7 years that is not acceptable.  The new poverty figures for 2008 should be out next month and we will see if as Council has claimed it was due to the AK lockout which I doubt or to the policies of the City and Council themselves. 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 10:12pm
Pacman,
      If only we could get four new people on Council this November who had the courage of their convictions as you have and could be as decisive as you have described we could turn our city aroung very quickly. Your points are indisputable when it comes to honesty and practicality.
       Pac, what a great proposal to healing our city in these hard times. I hope that others will speak out with their great ideas as you have without all of the baloney and cut straight to the quick. I think its the best answer I have heard to date.
       Your forthrightness gives us a great deal to think about and I hope we all lose a lot of sleep over it. The landlords who live off of Section 8 will fuss but thats o.k.
       Thank you.
        Paul Nagy
kasson View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 10:40pm

I agree whole heartedly with Pacman. I would support every item listed.  As a relative newcomer (several years) I am not familiar with who or why the city got into this section 8 and poverty mess.  Could someone inform me on that?

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2009 at 11:17pm
A few years ago, when a similar challenge was posed on The Middletown Journal's Community Forum, I posted My outline for such a plan, and I have re-posted it once or twice since then.  It seems that it is time to post it again:

While I am sure that I, and several of the others that have posted here, either alone or in concert, could come up with a viable plan in just a few days, such a plan would be much too long to post here.

Conceiving the plan Is not the problem. The problem is to convince anyone at City Hall that any mere ordinary citizen, outside the inner circle, can possibly have anything valuable to say.

All that aside, here is a brief outline, with no detail of course, of the plan:

1. Immediately reprioritize the city budget, recognizing that the first purposes of city government are public safety and infrastructure. Look at ALL areas of city finances, and NOT just those accounts that recent administrations have chosen to call the “General Fund”.

2. Immediately eliminate all charitable, cultural, entertainment, amusement, and similar items from the budget.

3. Immediately resume having city Council work session in public, as well as conducting all other public business in public.

4. Immediately remove all council members, relatives of council members, or any other persons having possible conflicts of interest from all public boards and commissions, and from the boards of directors of any organizations receiving tax money from the city of Middletown.

5. Immediately begin making Middletown truly business friendly. Revise all building codes that unnecessarily add to a potential business’s costs, such as unnecessary dormers, unneeded wall breaks, and similar architectural features.

6. Immediately issue a policy paper to all city department heads, instructing them to distribute it, and explain to all employees that there will no longer be in the unwarranted impediments to business development. Further instruct them to explain to all employees that there is no such thing, for example, as “the right architect“. The right architect, is any architect licensed to practice in the state of Ohio, or licensed in any state with reciprocity agreements with the state of Ohio, and that any employee found violating these directives will be summarily discharged.

7. Immediately issue a policy paper to all city employees involved in engineering, planning, zoning, and other business development-related fields instructing them that personal preferences can no longer be tolerated while conducting city business. Include in this policy paper instructions that no city employee’s tastes shall be imposed upon, or even suggested to, any potential business enterprise, and to purge all local codes and ordinances of personal preferences. Include a warning that any violation of this policy will result in immediate summary discharge.

8. Immediately abolish all city codes or ordinances banning, or even discouraging, signs visible from I-75, or from the surface streets in the areas surrounding Interstate highway interchanges, when such signs advertise goods, products, businesses or services available in the City of Middletown.

9. Immediately and in writing, explain to the City Law Director that his first duty is to the citizens of Middletown, and that this duty supersedes any directives from city council.

10. Empanel truly independent charter review committee, with the purpose of proposing changes to the city charter that: A) Mandate that Middletown’s city government return to the true purposes of a municipal government; B) Emphasize the division of powers within the city; C) Ease the procedure for recalling elected officials, and the implementation of the immediate discharge of non-elected officials, who violate city ordinances, charter provisions, or State of Ohio General Law; and D) incorporates the Ohio Attorney General’s “seven tests for compatibility of offices” into the Charter.

As you can see, this is getting too long for this venue already, but perhaps you get the idea.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 6:33am
Yes indeed! Pac has the correct plan for Section 8/poverty/HUD/low income nailed down! Mike has the "get city hall back in line with correct, logical, no nonsense thinking/policies". This is the way it should have been from the beginning. Congratulations gentlemen- you may now gather all the Council members and proceed to city hall, rounding up the city manager on down for an intense session of Econ/City Management/Common Sense 101. Coffee and pastries to be provided. I would like to add that the city funds be examined and redirected to reflect the proper prioritites of addressing the streets and infrastructure. I would also make it a priority to work with the Economic Development Department to focus on a real plan to market the town as to location/drawing from a "commuter" professional pool of talent (not from Middletown necessarily but rather between Dayton and Cincy) and the nicer homes at reasonable rates in nicer sections of town for those professionals). I would focus my concentration on the theme of JOBS, JOBS and more JOBS, with emphasis on technology , much less on manufacturing/retail and none on low wage/fast food opportunities. Already have plenty of those to choose from. MONEY FLOW IN THE COMMUNITY- Putting money in people's hands to spend at various businesses/venues to create overall prosperity and a healthy town once again.    Oh, and yes, start initiating a communication dialogue with the people outside of the Council meeting "Citizens comments" sessions which is a one way communication joke. Immediately start inviting the people to interact in their government and,(here's a radical concept_ start LISTENING TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY!!!!! Simple and very important, but yet, has not been done between city government and the people for years. The people are totally detached from their leaders right now.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 9:48am

Mr. Nagy

Wasn’t Trinity Place built to bring business and people into the downtown area? Since this plan was such a great success maybe we should use this as a model for other area downtown.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 10:40am
Vivian,
      Cute, funny but not very constructive. What are your serious plans for helping us to survive as a city? Don't you think the city is in a critical stage more so then ever with the national economy (or lack of it)? Its got me scared for our children and grandchildren.
       Paul Nagy
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 11:34am
I don't chime in much with my personal opinion on topics, I will here. Briefly anyway.
Section 8 in Middletown is a mess will all know that. But it is not the soul reason for the troubles our city now faces. It has taken along time for our town to become what it is today.
To just demolish section 8 altogether will not eliminate the problem. To just not give out any more vouchers hurts some people that are waiting. I will give an example. I have a 19 year old nephew who is autistic, he will never function in a "normal" life. He has been on the list for a section 8 house for a VERY long time. And while he waits for a voucher people that can and should work live in theses houses. To me that is unacceptable!!  When used right Section 8 can be a good thing and can work. The number of vouchers in Middleton in disproportionate and out of hand I agree with that 100% But to just cut the program out completely and think that this will fix our town is.. well in my opinion not true. This town's trouble runs far deeper than section 8 

Growing Up Autistic
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 11:44am
Randy go back and read part 1 again.
Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 1:21pm
Allegedly, the Community Revitalization Department is utilizing an out-of-state consultant for several important tasks?

If true, does anyone know the amount of compensation that they are being paid?

It's noted that City staff (identities withheld - more than one) alledge that the consultant has traveled to Middletown a number of times?

Alledgedly, they have provided rules, regulations and procedures training for novice staff and to help prepare HUD grant applications? 

Inquiring minds would like to know?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 2:41pm
OK- then why did the city enter into a contract with CONSOC if they're using an outside consultant for this program? I thought CONSOC was a "full service provider". Why aren't they? Why wouldn't CONSOC be preparing HUD grant applications for the city? OR, is that the city's responsibility?
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 2:49pm
The only problem with purging 1000 section 8 Vouchers from the City, is the one where who rents these now empty houses?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 2:52pm

Viet

Ms Gilleland seems to use many outside consultants. Remember she paid a consultant $30,000 to do the contract between CONSOC and the City. Now it seems that she is paying another consultant to write all these grants for HUD & CDBG Funds for the City.
Ahh yes that goose that laid the golden egg for City Hall needs a lot of attention.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 2:59pm
Irisner
That's the real problem. HUD will never let Middletown reduce the number of vouchers. And Middletown really can't reduce the number of vouchers because it would place even more properties on the market.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 3:21pm
If you transfer the Vouchers to Warren and Butler County, I would venture to say that no one will be tossed out of their current living situation.  The Vouchers and the waiting list move to the respective County Agency when a voucher becomes available the person receiving the voucher may move anywhere in the county and not just to Middletown.  It will take a while to whittle the number down to 400-500 voucher.

If you continue to just worry about the poorest houses in town you will end up the poorest city in the county, if you are not already.  If you raise the standard of living in Middletown everyone benefits, the Poor, the Middle class, businesses, everyone.  At some point you must say enough is enough.  10 months ago the City manager and the City's Paid consultant both recommended moving the entire Section 8 program to BMH.  HUD was on board with that then it should be no different now, whether you want to do part of it or all of it, unless there is something going on in the County that has basically designated Middletown and Hamilton as the Section 8 areas and that is it.  The number of vouchers won't change the hope is to spread the poverty and Section 8 more throughout the County.

Someone here explain to me why you people want so much poverty in your city,  It is a detriment to growing, to businesses moving here, it strains your resources, it strains your business sector, when 12000 people do not have disposable income to support the local business environment businesses go under and leave and new ones don't come in.

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU WANT TO JUST KEEP MIDDLETOWN AS IT IS, I FOR ONE DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE LACK OF INITIATIVE TO DO ANYTHING BY MIDDLETOWN CITIZENS OTHER THAN STARE AT THE WALL.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 3:37pm

WHY IS THIS OK WITH MANY PEOPLE?

MIDDLETOWN, OHIO April 26, 2007

Meeting City Council met this date at 5:00 P.M. at Ed Rusk Senior Citizen Center on Verity Parkway for the purpose of discussing Middletown Housing Stock. In the absence of the Mayor, Vice-Mayor Tony Marconi opened the meeting with a moment of meditation and roll-call. Members present: Messrs. Marconi, Amburgey, Armbruster, Mulligan, Mrs. Williams and Miss Lawrence. Staff Present: Interim City Manager Steve Husemann, Clerk Parr, Chief Bruck, Planning Director Kohler, N. Self, V. Grooms and B. Murphy.

WELCOME Mr. Marconi welcomed those in attendance and explained the Housing Stock Meeting was brought about after discussion at the Council Retreat.

Mr. Marconi stated there was an article in the Middletown Journal today and he just wanted to clarify he has no issues at all with Mr. Cristo. The letter he sent to all council members is public knowledge and he merely referenced a Cristo development. He has nothing to fight Mr. Cristo over.

City Manager Husemann stated the meeting tonight was not to discuss senior or subsidized housing. This meeting was to address the entire spectrum of housing stock in Middletown. The discussion will be about housing, revitalization, future topic and how to address these issues. You won’t hear all the answers this evening, but will hear what the City has done and continues to do to address housing issues.

Planning Director Marty Kohler distributed information contained in his PowerPoint presentation. From City Council’s Retreat, housing was a top priority issue. Identifying ways to improve housing stock and tools available for development/redevelopment were discussed. Mr. Kohler shared some statistical data collected every ten years by the Census bureau. Butler and Warren Counties tend to be higher in medium household income than the State of Ohio. Middletown is not doing the same. There has been a slow steady decline in Middletown’s median household income figures. Employment income history, the unemployment rate and employment in Middletown were discussed. Middletown lost over 3000 jobs in the last ten years. Family demographics from 1990 to 2000 showed Middletown has a greater proportion of single family dwellings and a decline in married families with children. The largest growth category was the single-person households. The Butler County difference showed their growth was in married-couple families with children. Family size is relatively low in Middletown and decreased from 1990-2000 in Middletown, Butler County and the State of Ohio.

HUD thresholds for low income definitions were explained. The 2000 census showed a total of 23,174 housing units of which 80% were constructed prior to 1970. Owner occupancy was 60%. The rate of home ownership is declining. Homes for sale by price range were compared between Hamilton, Liberty Township and Middletown. There were extreme contrasts in the housing make-up of these three entities. Middletown has more homes in the $75,000 to $99,999 price range and very few homes in the $175,000 to $300,000 ranges. Liberty Township has very few in price ranges up to $149,999 and has the most homes in the $300,000 and above ranges. Trends in subsidized housing show promotion of home ownership; less government ownership; funding caps on private ownership with rent supplements and lowering initial costs to lower rent rates with tax credits, bonds, etc.

Public Housing owned and operated by Butler Metro Housing Association are:

The Townshouse, 600 N. Verity – 82 units

J. Ross Hunt – 112 S. Clinton – 125 units

Midtonia Village – 2373 S. Sutphin – 56 units

Freedom Court – 4700 Freedom – 60 units

Townhomes West – 1820 S. Main – 98 units

Townhomes East – 1937 Minnesota – 52 units

Scattered Site Single Family – 65 units

Privately owned Section 202/811 – Section 8 properties:

Trinity Manor – 301 Clark - 90 units

Cypress Commons – 2450 Saybrook – 44 units

Chatham Village – 4389 Bonita - 108 units

Mayfield Village – 2030 Aaron - 110 units

Trailsbridge – 660 Lafayette - 110 units

Dublin House – 1425 Central - 40 units

Concord Green – 617 Concord – 12 units

Middlefair – 1551 Jackson – 12 units

Peoples Place – 600 Lafayette – 110 units

Assisted Housing

Doty House - 8 units

Transitional Living – 38 units

Fairham Homes - 20 units

Low Income Housing Tax Credit

Royal Pines – 2924 N. Verity – 94 units (built as market rate and

renovated with a tax credit)

Vienna Forest – 491 Bavarian – 116 units

Aspen Grove – 1925 Aaron – 84 units

LaMain – 599 Ethyl - 60 units

Canterbury Commons – 1900 Aaron – 92 units

Woodlands – Main and Lafayette – 50 units (senior housing)

Robin Springs – 6930 Lefferson – 125 units

Section 8 Vouchers

Scatter Sites – 1550 units

Hope House – 3 units (11 eligible) – to take persons from

homelessness, enrolled in job placement, etc.

Concord Green – 12 units (recently absorbed – HUD reassigned to our

housing agencies)

Subsidized Housing total units are 3,269. The tax credit housing vouchers pay the difference in the market rate to make the units affordable. The five year span of 2000 to 2004, there was a very rapid increase in Section 8 units, from 767 in 2000 to 1554 in 2004.

Mr. Kohler showed the City had Geocoded all Section 8 housing and some neighborhoods had very high percentages of subsidized housing.

Middletown has 15% of Butler County’s population; 23% of the County’s residents in poverty; 38% of the County’s subsidized housing units (that percentage does not include Section 8 housing units); 56% of the County’s Section 8 voucher holders; and 40% of the County’s Housing for the mentally ill.

Section 8 conclusions indicate the number of units should be capped; increase quality standards; increase frequency of inspections; and use as a tool for neighborhood investment. Overall, about 35% of Middletown’s occupied rental housing is designated for low income.

Neighborhood Improvement programs were discussed.

Adjournment At 6:25 P.M. the meeting adjourned.

Mayor

Attest: _______________________

Clerk of Council

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 4:08pm
Part 1A
A citizens initiative will be needed to bring back the Infrastructure Fund which was basically merger with the General Fund.  Council and City Management will not do this on their own so it will have to be placed on the ballot by the citizens.

How to fund this fund will be the next issue that needs to be tackled and that will take some out of the box thinking.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 4:30pm
Someone here explain to me why you people want so much poverty in your city..Pacman

Pacman
This was all part of Mr. Kohler's Five Year Plan and City Council approved all the above actions taken by Mr. Kohler.
I don't want an increase in Section 8 Housing in Middletown.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 4:42pm

Parma, OH, the only other city to manage its own Public Housing Agency in Ohio, it is located South of Cleveland, http://www.cityofparma-oh.gov/ .

Population of Parma is 85,000

Median Income $46,918

Public Housing in Parma

742 Section 8 Choice Vouchers

60 Public Housing Units

In Parma The Section 8 and Public Housing waiting lists are currently closed to new additions and the list has been closed for over two years and they do not anticipate opening it until 2010 or 2011 according to the Public Housing Web Site.

POVERTY LEVEL IN PARMA 2007 6.2%.

Middletown, OH

Population 48,237 per Census estimate 2007

Median Income $37,001

Public Housing Middletown

1662+/- Section 8 Choice Vouchers

1607 Public Housing Units (my best estimate on available info it is probably higher)

POVERTY LEVEL IN MIDDLETOWN 2007 22% UP FROM 12% IN 2000.

Now I am not saying Public housing is the only problem Middletown has but it is a major contributing factor to Middletown ills and needs to be brought under control and more in line with what the City can support and hope to grow itself economically. 
Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 4:50pm
The consultant who City staff alleged is not providing technical assistance for the Section 8 program.  Instead, they allege that the consultant is providing staff training and grant writing expertise for Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), Home Investment Partnerships (HOME) and the new Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP).
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 5:49pm
Ok Pac, this info. has a date of April of 2007. The Council has said in the past that they haven't kept up with the monitoring of CONSOC's activity on Section 8 and that it was time to get involved-hence the Housing Committee was formed by Council. If they had this info. in 2007 and we know that someone in the city government had to have been tasked to research this data to present it, how many years ago did someone initially become aware of this overabundance of housing and the out of control situation of this program in Middletown and why did they wait so long to bring it to anyone's attention? If it was this bad in 2007, why haven't they done something to reduce it by now? Why was this crap not presented to the public years ago?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 6:08pm
Ima- again, I ask the questions- if they spend more money on an outside consultant for staff training, what does CONSOC do for their money? Why does staff need training and to write HUD grants,(ie-why are they in these positions if they don't know how to administer this program?), and why wasn't it written in the contract with CONSOC that they would provide the training to the untrained/staff/ HUD grant writing people or would find a suitable trainer on their behalf which would have been included in the original contract? Bottom line- why pay another contractor on top of the original contractor to administer one program? This city is actually paying a huge amount of money to quickly become a destitute, poverty stricken, low income HUDHOLE. An amazing lack of intelligence on the part of the people who think this is good for the town. Fire 'em all. Eliminate the Section 8 program now. Eliminate the HUD/Section 8 housing listed above in Pac's post. Eliminate all vouchers. Throw HUD/CONSOC out. Too many negatives and no positives. All this program is doing is shaming the city and the people who live here.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

If you continue to just worry about the poorest houses in town you will end up the poorest city in the county, if you are not already.  If you raise the standard of living in Middletown everyone benefits, the Poor, the Middle class, businesses, everyone.  At some point you must say enough is enough.  10 months ago the City manager and the City's Paid consultant both recommended moving the entire Section 8 program to BMH.  HUD was on board with that then it should be no different now, whether you want to do part of it or all of it, unless there is something going on in the County that has basically designated Middletown and Hamilton as the Section 8 areas and that is it.  The number of vouchers won't change the hope is to spread the poverty and Section 8 more throughout the County.

Someone here explain to me why you people want so much poverty in your city,  It is a detriment to growing, to businesses moving here, it strains your resources, it strains your business sector, when 12000 people do not have disposable income to support the local business environment businesses go under and leave and new ones don't come in.

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY YOU WANT TO JUST KEEP MIDDLETOWN AS IT IS, I FOR ONE DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE LACK OF INITIATIVE TO DO ANYTHING BY MIDDLETOWN CITIZENS OTHER THAN STARE AT THE WALL.

Who said that? No one! You are just letting your anger do the talking for you. You know the difference in You and Me? You have it in your Head that once all the Trash is gone (Section 8 from your prospective), Poof!, Middletown is back to Hey Day! Where I see that Middletown is suffering the same fate as many Formerly Heavily industrialized towns. The Industry is gone and NOT coming back!

Why City leaders allowed so many Sec8s in the first place is a good question and I might agree with you in hind site about the cause, but being angry and thinking that "Booting" all the Sec8s out of Town will quickly change anything is not productive.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2009 at 9:27pm
"Who said that? No one! You are just letting your anger do the talking for you. You know the difference in You and Me? You have it in your Head that once all the Trash is gone (Section 8 from your prospective), Poof!, Middletown is back to Hey Day!"

Please show me in any of my posts where I said the above.  I am all for keeping a reasonable amount of Section 8 and moving the City forward, while you like many others have given up.  My lease in this town is up in 4 months on my business, maybe it is time to hit the road and move to a City whose citizens haven't given up on themselves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic