Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 19, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - CityCouncil Approves Bike Path - Citizen Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CityCouncil Approves Bike Path - Citizen Comments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CityCouncil Approves Bike Path - Citizen Comments
    Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 9:07am
What are you all complaining about. Once again we heard last night the bike path is a quality of life issue one of Armbruster's favorite saying. Someone should ask him and coucil at what point does maintaining the city infrastructure become a quality of life issue. What about excessive section 8, poverty, education, jobs, Home value at what point does the city and council consider these quality of life issues or maybe they don't as most city employees DON'T LIVE IN THE CITY.
up in smoke
8:27 AM, 8/5/2009

What a big joke. Bigger joke is the people that are making the decision for this "DEAD TOWN".Since the City Manager rode in on her broom she has done nothing for the city. Instead of putting the money to good use you use it on a bike trail? Everyone of you that "THINK" your doing the city a service need to do us all a favor and resign.
LMAO
8:22 AM, 8/5/2009

Any lawyers out there? Is there a way to start a class action against Middletown for inappropriate use of tax / funds or not performing duties in best interest of residents? Some kind of state or Federal oversight? State and Federal is a mess also....maybe it's time for another Revolution in the streets!!!!!
Richard
8:16 AM, 8/5/2009

If anyone has any information as to the legitimacy of why the stimuls money was being used for a bike path and does it fit it's intentional use then they can report it to http://recovery.ohio.gov/ . If the city leaders know the citizens are watching them and willing to report them, they will be a little more cautious with our money. There are steep penalties involved, I would hope they take notice.
Watchdog
8:07 AM, 8/5/2009

yeah thats what Middletown really needs. Middletown has pot hole as big as pools some of the roads don't even get cleaned off because of the pot holes being to bad
we need a bike trail like we need a hole in the head
michelle
8:04 AM, 8/5/2009

Let's have the city council and manager arrested, they have to be smoking crack!!!!! Dumbest idiots ever in Middletown, excluding the school board!!!
Richard
7:54 AM, 8/5/2009

How can they say it isn't costing our tax $? Where do they think the stimulus money is coming from? It is our tax $. Bike path is NOT what Middletown needs. These funds are limited to its use, but I am sure they could have come up with something other than another pet project. Exactly how did they ask the citizens what they would like? I saw no questionnaire or poll. I am done with all of them. I'd put a dog on the council before I vote for an existing member this year. Can't get any worse.
Final Straw
7:53 AM, 8/5/2009

This is a waste of money. The streets are terrible and this counsel wants this bike path. Hope you enjoy your last time in office. By the way, where can I send the bill for my tires being replaced? Wake up Middletown and do not stand for this kind of crap from your local so called govt. You need businesses (requiring driving on the streets) not some bike path for the wealthy to feel healthy. This is so stupid, I cannot even comment on it anymore. Good luck middletown
Average joe
7:33 AM, 8/5/2009

And this will attract businesses to Middletown as stated? Any business I have ever come in contact with would not have a "bike trail" on their list of "important" reasons for moving to a town. Nor will anyone move downtown to be close to the trail.
It is time to clean house of all present political leaders and start over.
Jeff
6:54 AM, 8/5/2009

C'mon Gilleland! How many people did you ask about wanting a bike path? How many people would use the bike path out of the 50,000 or so living here? I'm guessing less than 2%. Glad to see Armbruster was awake with his comments in the last paragraph. Nice going Jimmy! Bike path over new windows, heating/air conditioning in city owned buildings ehh? Bad choice. Now, you'll have to spend more money to maintain the bike path.
What A City!
6:46 AM, 8/5/2009

RE: Mr. Robinette and stimulus money and bike trail and economic development. What kind of weed is he smoking. Why not buy a fireboat and put on the Miami river.
buck swanson
6:13 AM, 8/5/2009

please repair the streets, and alley ways, **** on the bike path, its a waste of money, our city needs a face lift and you want to bike it insteed, now i understand why our city is in trouble.
SWEET WILLIE
2:35 AM, 8/5/2009
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 9:16am
WOW !! A lot of dissatisfied customers in this city !! I am in shock,how could anyone bad mouth such a fine,educated,well thought out plan for bringing in the tourist and saving energy ?

Once the bike path is complete and ready we as a city can declare ourselves a "green city" !! We will be saving the planet !
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 10:10am
Hope Armbruster uses the bike path when its completed he looks as if he needs to then he can see the sad shape this city is really in better yet take a bike ride thru any part of the city . Look at all the vacant ,foreclosed , houses and the vacant factories setting all over town. Yep we really needed a Bike path.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 10:25am
".....at what point does the city and council consider these quality of life issues or maybe they don't as most city employees DON'T LIVE IN THE CITY."

This is a good point how many of the people downtown in decision making positions actually live in Middletown, I'd be curious to know.

Gilleland does
Kohler does
Chief of Police Doesn't
Doug Adkins Doesn't         
Kyle Fuchs Doesn't 
Skip Batten Doesn't

I don't know about the rest.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 11:23am
Three of the top Community Revitalization Department staff live in Mason, Lebanon and Hamilton respectively!! AngryAngry  Maybe they should move to Ward 2 here in the City where they work and where so much HUD "funny money" they administer is being spent to demolish homes and factories?? ConfusedConfused  Or, maybe they are advocates of "NOT IN MY BACK YARD" and cannot fathom living in a community where the all-knowing bureaucrats have nearly ruined the City's future??  ConfusedConfused
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 12:20pm
But Judy said all the citizen's input she got was positive. It kind of reminds me when then City Manager Becker said that the then new Red Light Cameras were the result of a Public Outcry about Red Light runners.

Yea...right!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 1:31pm
Does anyone remember comments about the demise of CITIZENS PARTICIPATION that were made by senior City staff only a few months ago?? 

The demise of an OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE for HUD programs was justified because oversight was already provided by the City Manager, City Council, etc.!!

Until senior staff discarded the 13-member HUD Consolidated Planning Committee late last year, the City had an EFFECTIVE and DIVERSE oversight group that was fully informed about HUD programs!!
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 3:06pm
My favorite comment to any citizen who does any more than make a  statement is the mayor's standard reply; "We're not set up for that here."
sara m. View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara m. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 4:16pm
A bike path is one of those features that "nice" towns have.  Whether you, personally, will use it or not, or whether you want the money to go elsewhere, it is actually a good idea.

Why is Middletown the "craphole of Ohio"?  Why is it falling apart, filled with poverty and potholes?  Because hardly anyone that actually makes enough money to pay taxes lives here! 

If we have a bike path, then at least we have one thing that appeals to higher income people.  The more income (and tax payers) we can get to move to Middletown, the better the city will become.

The city manager is trying to first make money, and then use that money to help out the rest of us no-good poor people who don't even pay taxes in the first place!

Smile
Smile
The Coupon Connoisseur
thecouponconnisseur@gmail.com

Let me tell you how to pay 75% less than everyone else!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 5:09pm
Couldn't we start with fixing the streets and sewers(major backflow issues yesterday), improving the schools, bringing in higher-paying employment and even cleaning up the riverscape of the blighted/idled old structures first?

I would expect those issues to dominate over a bike path.
Let me know about the first family to move here because of access to the bike path.
$490,000 + $60,000(consultant) for a 2-mile narrow stretch of a bike bath?
Seem pricey?

John Haker's downtown Schwinn shop should start to boom!

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 05 2009 at 5:22pm
Spider John -

I just checked the Middletown Journal website and found that last night's lead story featuring the GREAT MIAMI RECREATIONAL TRAIL (BIKE PATH) was no longer listed on the main page.  Despite the fact that 27 negative reader comments already have been posted, the bike path story now seems to be buried in the MORE LOCAL NEWS CATEGORY.  How ironic??ConfusedConfused
sara m. View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sara m. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 10:28am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Couldn't we start with fixing the streets and sewers(major backflow issues yesterday), improving the schools, bringing in higher-paying employment and even cleaning up the riverscape of the blighted/idled old structures first?

Of course that's a logical place to start... I was only trying to show you that the bike trail does make SOME sense.  My husband and I are the types of people who would chose a town based on something like a bike trail, so it is not unheard of.
The Coupon Connoisseur
thecouponconnisseur@gmail.com

Let me tell you how to pay 75% less than everyone else!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 10:40am
The completed bike trail does make sense in the overall picture, however I would prioritize it much lower.

Seems the city advertised(in today's MJ) for bids to make fire station repairs also.
So--we can do it all now?
Where is the $$ coming from?
And why is there nothing to fix the streets and sewers, which should be a top priority imo.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 10:51am
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

The completed bike trail does make sense in the overall picture, however I would prioritize it much lower.

Seems the city advertised(in today's MJ) for bids to make fire station repairs also.
So--we can do it all now?
Where is the $$ coming from?
And why is there nothing to fix the streets and sewers, which should be a top priority imo.

It's the magic of the bike path spider ! When your standing,walking or riding on the bike path magical things happen.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 3:26pm

Question to Middletown Journal:

Why has Ed Richter's story on the August 4th meeting of the City Council (including the Great Miami Bike Path funding approval) been REMOVED from your website? ConfusedConfused

Surely this decision was not prompted because 27 NEGATIVE READER COMMENTS were posted on the bike path approval as of yesterday afternoon? ConfusedConfused

Will you enlighten us as to the RATIONALE for this decision? OuchOuch
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 3:39pm
Today's legal notices in the Middletown Journal included an Invitation to Bid for improvements to be made to our fire stations.  How interesting that Federal funds were available to address these needs and other cost-saving energy conservation improvements to City buildings. ConfusedConfused  Instead, local funds will now be spent for this purpose. ConfusedConfused  I guess that the Bike Path lobbyists must have provided compelling arguments for the all-knowing bureaucrats at One Donham Plaza? AngryAngry
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 3:54pm
Interesting that the Journal would remove the whole story and not just the comments.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Ima B. Lever Ima B. Lever wrote:

Question to Middletown Journal:

Why has Ed Richter's story on the August 4th meeting of the City Council (including the Great Miami Bike Path funding approval) been REMOVED from your website? ConfusedConfused

Surely this decision was not prompted because 27 NEGATIVE READER COMMENTS were posted on the bike path approval as of yesterday afternoon? ConfusedConfused

Will you enlighten us as to the RATIONALE for this decision? OuchOuch

Was it removed?
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/stimulus-funding-will-go-to-bike-trail-236156.html

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 5:54pm
Marianne -

Yesterday morning at 9:07 am I posted the first 17 reader comments pertaining to Ed Richter's story on Tuesday's City Council meeting and the Bike Path funding approval.  This was copied from the Latest News column of the Middletown Journal website.

Several hours later I re-checked the MJ website (Latest News) and found that the number of reader comments had grown to 27.  By late afternoon I further noticed that Mr. Richter's story had been moved to the More Local News Headlines.

Today, I again checked the MJ website and discovered that it was no longer there.  Also, I checked the Most Popular in Local News and did not see it there as well.

Then, I checked Middletown Local News Blogs.  No luck again.

I don't know what else to say.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:02pm
On the Journal Main page as they add stories throughout the day, stories drop off to page two and three, other news stories, sometimes they recycle some stories back to the front page.  After the third page they go into the archives basically and you have to search for them.  This is just my observation over the past year or so of reading the web site.
alldaywatching View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alldaywatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2009 at 6:14pm
I gave up on the Journal long ago, and if the story has been removed it may be because the Journal is in the pockets of City Hall didnt you know that???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic