Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Sunday, April 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Middletown Helps Residents With Code Enforcement
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Helps Residents With Code Enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Helps Residents With Code Enforcement
    Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 10:26am
Taken from the August 2, 2009 Middletown City Managers Report

As part of code enforcement efforts to bring properties back within the property maintenance code city-wide, it became obvious that many residents had minor deficiencies.  Some lacked the ability to complete the work but, most lacked the resources to complete even minor repairs due to the poor economy.  

The City reached out to various community churches and service organizations to asking volunteer groups to assist the elderly and disabled in the Volunteer Improvement Program (V.I.P.).  Currently the Oaks Community Church, Kiwanis, and AK retiree organization (CARE) has adopted projects to assist with minor exterior property maintenance. 

In May the program was expanded to assist low-income citizens as well.  The City was approached by Malachi Youth Opportunities Program and Butler County Workforce One regarding summer work for at-risk 18-24 year olds.  The service agency pays for all salaries and expenses in exchange for employment at various businesses throughout the County.  The Community Revitalization Department set up work groups with several young people from these programs and put them to work in V.I.P.   They are supervised by our Building Inspectors to ensure that the repairs are being correctly performed.  $65,000 in Community Development Block Grant funds are set aside to purchase the repair materials required. 

To date V.I.P has completed close to 20 projects.  We will continue to work with this program as long as funding exists and the weather cooperates.  The end result is that properties are being repaired with no material or labor costs to the City or to residents other than the Building Inspectors supervision time.   We will work with residents over the summer and fall and restart the program next spring to continue work on making our City attractive and code compliant.

Click here to read the complete City Managers Report
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 10:53am
"We will work with residents over the summer and fall and restart the program next spring to continue work on making our City attractive..."

Hmm...attractive to WHOM????

Can't they understand that taste is SUBJECTIVE???   One man's trash is another man's treasure!  City Hall has NO BUSINESS dictating fashion or decorating.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 11:16am
When does the city of Middletown intend to bring its miserable streets, sewers, infrastructure, downtown, and quality of life into "code standards?" Oh the codes, the cameras at traffic lights, the complete incompetence that continues daily. Maybe they should try to reversing teh code ordinance on allowing money to be diverted for streets to be used for the "chosen ones." Middletown is such an utter and astonishingly complete mess.  
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 11:20am
" We will work with residents over the summer and fall and restart the program next spring to continue work on making our city attractive" ..... while we do our best to attract the most Section 8/ welfare candidates with the theme of welfare saturation, continue to maintain our desolate, vacant, brown field industrial sites, continue to lose business, employment, jobs, population, continue to plow money into a downtown area with no direction or developmental plans and continue to ignore the most basic amenities with our streets and infrastructure to the point where the streets will end up gravel and the sewers and bridges will collapse at any given moment. Atta girl, Gilleland! Way to stay focused on the important things this town needs.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2009 at 11:37am
" We will work with residents over the summer and fall and restart the program next spring to continue work on making our City attractive and code compliant" so this is an ONGOING thing and will never stop ??

And what if the city doesn't like my repairs & paint job ?

What about making downtown attractive ? All the broken windows,potholes & pawn shops make for an attractive city ??
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
RealDeal View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2009 at 5:24pm
This "Clean Up Middletown" idea is a complete crock of city officials on crack.

I swear,they're like nats that just won't stay away.Our city is in poor shape because our taxes are being used to pay these morons to go around and harass people about cracks in the porches,small spots in the over hang over the porch that need painted,garage doors being torn down and new ones put up because they don't think we should have those doors on our garage,put a new gutter up....blah blah blah. Why don't they do something useful with our taxes such as eliminate the idiots that harass people and start paying people to come up with good ideas on what to do to improve the city? Telling the residents they need to do this that and the other isn't fixing the city. Business doesn't come to a city to look at the houses.They look at the city in general and look at how well kept it is.

So my thoughts are,tear down all those crumby old buildings they say they're going to use downtown and slowly start building new ones.Forget about the ideas about the "historical" part of Middletown and the way it used to be.Think of the way it needs to be now.Bring in some recreational stuff.Some museums.Look at some of what Gatlinburg,Tennessee has.Sure,it's a tourist attraction town.But hey,it brings in money.I'm not saying go all out and put in a lot of in-door putt putt courses and game rooms,but it wouldn't hurt to bring in something.Put up some go-kart tracks here and there.Not a lot because we don't want the kids skipping school and all that,but enough to give people something to do besides worry about whether the city will be after them about a small bit of space that needs a touch of paint.

Middletown has plenty of room to bring in business and recreation,but instead they want to focus on being dictators and trying to control people.In some ways they're like Hitler.They know the people want to leave,but they know they can't because they don't have enough to just go.So they continue to do stuff to either push people to suicide or they push stuff on people to keep them paying the city to where they have nothing at all.

Sorry if some of this sounds corny.But hey,I'm venting and I think more people should.This is my first post.So hopefully it isn't too bad.lol
Middletown has fallen!!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2009 at 10:07pm
Good post RealDeal !

The real problem as I've stated before is it's an attack on a certain class of people. The poor or working class poor who can not make repairs due to no money. The poor can not fight them because of no money and no leverage. I think that is one reason Doug Adkins decided not to force people into court because there is no money so why fine them. Then the city wants poor people to take out loans which they can not repay or even qualify for. It's a no win situation for many. And no one cares,if the city really gave a crap they would spread some that bailout money they keep trying to get and GIVE IT to the poor to make these repairs,but Oh no ! They will LOAN IT at a low interest rate. But heaven forbid if a politician actually done something for the working people.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
RealDeal View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2009 at 9:56am
Another idea for Middletown would be,if they want to keep the historical part of Middletown is,make the old downtown the historical area and build an entirely new up to date downtown.And the way I mean this is,I went to Ft.Worth Texas back in May.I seen the actual city itself.And then I went to the Stockyards.The Stockyards is basically for tourist purposes now,but it is the historical part of Ft.Worth. They had the old streets from way back when.Still had the old buildings that were fixed up to look nice,but still remind you of what it looked like back in the day.I know Middletown's not as big as Ft.Worth,but hey,it's an idea to get things flowing.They mostly had museums,shops,and restaruants,with a bull riding arena(yes the one you see on ESPN if you watch it).Billy Bob's Texas is the name of it.

If they'd fix the old downtown up like that and get rid of the bars and pawn shops,and tear down that waste of space they call a parking garage,downtown would look nice.But they're going to have to work on their problems and stop looking at the residents' small tiny problems that we can deal with as time goes on,when we have the money to deal with it.

Since they're constantly building out by I-75,they need to just go ahead and start making that section the new downtown.It'll be by the highway,where lots of people drive through,and there is plenty of room to work with.
Middletown has fallen!!
THE WEAVER View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WEAVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2009 at 3:58pm
Yes Middletown has fallen and it can't get up.  Sounds like a commercial I heard on TV before.  They must start to look beyond forest and look at the trees and take care of them one at a time.  Starting with the worst first.

The WeaverClap
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2009 at 9:34pm

RealDeal:

I lived in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metro-plex for about three years in the mid-80s, and was involved with new industry to the south as well as the first attempt at DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit). While you are correct in your assessment of the old versus new in Ft. Worth, what you may not realize is this:

All of the restaurants, shops, etc., and yes, even Billy Bob’s, were all the visions of PRIVATE developers, and were implemented with “at-risk” venture capital. Some of the early ventures in that area failed (unfortunately) but there were always other entrepreneurial types waiting to test THEIR visions at those same locations. Fortunately for Ft. Worth, their leaders actually DID encourage business and tried to make it EASY for the visionaries to take their shots at success.

Such is not the case in Middletown. In Middletown, a small group wants to control ALL goings-on and do so with little regard for what makes sense commercially. They simply want what THEY want, and if others go broke trying to provide it…well, that’s just too bad. If anyone proposes a business that THEY don’t like, even if the business plan is sound, well…the Planning and Zoning folk, the Historic and Landmarks Commission, and every other red tape-wielding bureaucrat at 1 Donham Plaza will soon put the kibosh on it.

Can you imagine the horror that would result if someone wanted a zoning variance to put a stockyard in downtown Middletown for a Billy Bob type enterprise??? They would have only two chances…SLIM and NONE. And Slim won’t even make it across the city limits with the livestock for the first rodeo!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic