FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown City Council Meeting - 8/18/2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown City Council Meeting - 8/18/2009
    Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 12:36am

I-75/Manchester Road interchange study being considered

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer 11:40 PM Monday, August 17, 2009

Middletown City Council today, Aug. 18, will consider approving a contract to conduct a feasibility study for a new interchange to Interstate 75 from Manchester Road.

Council will decide whether to approve the emergency ordinance for the $74,176 contract with ME Companies.

The proposal isn’t exactly a new one. In fact, it was a part of Middletown’s master plan of 1963. Part of the plan was to make Manchester Road a four-lane road to an I-75 interchange.

Over the years, city officials have also thought about an I-75 interchange at Greentree Road to link Oxford State Road and AK Steel Corp.’s Middletown Works and its associated truck traffic.

In the mid-1990s, the city of Franklin sought to team up with the city of Middletown and Warren County to explore a joint project. According to former Franklin mayor Jim Mears, finances became an issue for both cities.

Mike Robinette, the city’s economic development director, in a staff report dated Aug. 10, “will consider environmental constraints, reasonable geometric alternative concepts, local area network connections and issues, impact on safety and operation of I-75, and cost and right-of-way impacts.”

“By completing a feasibility study first, the city may obtain a comfort level as to the impacts associated with a complete Interchange Justification Study,” Robinette’s report said.

Council will also consider:

• An emergency ordinance from the Community Revitalization Department seeking an additional $15,000 for nuisance abatement. The funds would be used to mow grass as well as collect trash and cut high weeds at abandoned and foreclosed properties throughout the city. The city has expended its nuisance abatement budget of $75,000 for 2009.  Miss Vivian - maybe you won't have to keep cutting tall weeds and grass at the vacant house adjacent to you now?  Maybe the City will choose to spend a pitance from their multi-million dollar HUD stash to assist negatively impacted homeowners like you?

• 11 text amendments to the city’s zoning code.

• The approval of Amy Schenck as a part-time deputy clerk of council. Schenck is also the fiscal officer for Madison Twp.

The approval of Perry Thatcher for a vacant seat on the Middletown Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Middletown City Council will meet at 5:30 p.m. today, Aug. 18 in the Council Chambers on the lower level of the Middletown City Building, One Donham Plaza.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 6:37am
Extend Manchester out to I-75? Middletown's jurisdiction ends on Manchester just as Cristo's housing development begins. That's Warren County. How would this extension have been accomplished without Warren County cooperation? (knowing what a fine relationship we have with our neighbors)

An "EMERGENCY ORDINANCE"- RED ALERT! DEFCON 5!!!

Agonizing over grass!

$15 thou more for "nuisance abatement"- ie- tall grass on vacant properties- Couldn't find some kids with lawnmowers and a truck with a list of vacant properties to cut and give 'em summer jobs to take care of this? How about some college kids trying to earn some tuition money? Couldn't pay a neighbor of the vacant house to slip over and cut that yard too after cutting their's? Why does the simple task of grass cutting at various houses seem to garner this much discussion city o'Middletown leaders?

Amy Schenck as part time clerk of council? Does Parr need help with this? Is this Parr's only job duties or does she do other work at the city building? What's the justification? What are they paying Schenck for this "part time" work? Does she get benefits? Why do these approvals go on without a question being asked by Council members? No questions from any Councilmembers- everything's a done deal behind the scenes.

Perry Thatcher to fill the vacant seat on the Visitor's Bureau?- Was this up for bids- was it publicized or is this a done deal- "Greg Tyus" appointment, keeping it "All In The Family"?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 6:44am
Here's one for you Vet the Dog Catcher, I mean Animal Control Officer they may lay off:

"Middletown’s cost for this position in 2008 was $83,159."
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 6:50am
Dog catcher makes twice as much as a research technician and as much as a research scientist. I can see where it takes more mental skill and a higher education catching dogs than it does doing research- Sure!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:02am
No it is called having an over paid Government Job, AKA wasteful spending of taxpayers money.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:10am
Does Council review all salaries yearly? If so, why would anyone who is somewhat competent, not question Gilleland or someone in the city building how they arrived at this salary for this job?( and, if I were them, I wouldn't want to hear the weak excuse of "that's what the surrounding communities pay their dog catcher" either- still doesn't make it right) When Gilleland recommends the hiring of an individual for a job at the city building, before giving approval for the hiring, doesn't ANY Councilmember open their mouth and ask how much the job pays and what the cost to the city is? If not, why not? Good Lord!!!!!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:18am
The problem downtown is it is like a fraternity when it comes to employees down there.  You cut everythng you can that pertains to the citizens before you even consider an over paid employee.  Not a good way to run a city on the verge of going under in the next 5 years.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Here's one for you Vet the Dog Catcher, I mean Animal Control Officer they may lay off Makes:

Get a Grip! your as bad as a Liberal Democrat when it comes to "Spin".  That figure represents the total cost for the position, Taxes,insurance, Worker's comp, ....the list goes on!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:25am
Hey Vet why is the City footing the Bill for this Manchester Rd. I-75 ramp study.  The city's jurisdiction ends well before I-75 there?  Chalk up another wasted $75k or what.  I am not getting this when we are supposedly broke, an an emergency at that.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:31am
Irisners Logic or lack of LOGIC I should say states:

Get a Grip! your as bad as a Liberal Democrat when it comes to "Spin".  That figure represents the total cost for the position, Taxes,insurance, Worker's comp, ....the list goes on!

Irisner, I forgot we as citizens, you know those are the people that pay the taxes, don't pay those employee expenses, the tooth fairy does.  I wonder where the hell you get your logic at sometimes.

Also as I posted, "  Middletown’s cost for this position in 2008 was $83,159."  The costs for a position includes taxes, insurance, WC, retirement, training......etc.  I did not state the salary was $83, 159.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 7:47am
Irisner- Wow! I'm troubled..... is it ONLY those lousy pesky LIBERAL DEMOCRATS that put a spin on everything or could some of those honest, forthright, saintly Republicans do the same from time to time??   
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 8:35am
You are correct again Viet Vet.  There's plenty of wasteful practices and the spewing of pseudo-logical reasoning from both the Republicans and Democrats for the mess that our city, state and country is in.  Citizens unite!
Major Hoffman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Major Hoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Here's one for you Vet the Dog Catcher, I mean Animal Control Officer they may lay off Makes:

Pacman -

The Animal Control Officer does not make $83,159.  This is the total cost to the City for this function.  Her salary is $40,078.  The rest of the costs come from Medicare, PERS, Workers Comp costs, supplies for the position, and fees paid to the dog shelter to house the animals she collects.  Not all of these costs would go away with the elimination of the position; the City would still need to pay for housing the animals captured here and a few other costs. 

This is not an argument for or against the position, just the correct facts.  The readers of this forum need accurate information in order to make informed decisions.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 8:47am
Major Hoffman  I said, ""Middletown’s cost for this position in 2008 was $83,159."  The costs for a position includes taxes, insurance, WC, retirement, Training......etc.

The correct facts are that I did not state the salary was $83,159.00.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 9:43am
Mark -

You and your staff know that I did everything possible to get information on the Section 8 program to you and others until March of 2008 when the City Manager and Planning Director solely took charge of everything.  I obtained tenant lists, landlord lists, met several time with Sgt. Cunningham and other law enforcement personnel, set up meetings with C.O.N.S.O.C., met with landlords, had Housing Code Enforcement staff report violations to me when they were observed in the field, conveyed code issues directly to Sandra Joseph.  In other words, I assisted the Police Department in multiple ways with Section 8 program improvements until I was kicked to the curb.

Nelson Self
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 11:09am
     These issues are really interesting and very political.
     The way I see it Betsy Parr our City Clerk works her self to the bone and has carried a big load by herself for a long time. She  had a volunteer to help who recently had to be let go because of the upcoming election. Her name was Sue Hayes and we owe her a big thank you for all of her volunteering hours.I'm very much in favor of getting Ms. Parr some help. I don't know Ms. Schenck but it sounds to me she should be especially qualified.
      The appointment of Perry Thatcher to the Visiors Bureau is strictly political cronyism in my opinion.
      The Manchester Road extension was proposed years ago. It should be reconsidered now in the light of the possibliity of Suncoke going through and the Greentree Road exit. It would be better to give their trucks access to I75 than to go the  Manchester extension at this time. If you examine who owned and owns real estate along that proposed Manchester route, you'll have a better idea as to what was behind it when it was proposed.
     Paul Nagy
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 1:07pm
Thank you Sue Hayes for your volunteer service at the City Clerk's office.

Vote for Paul Nagy to be the new Ward 4 City Council member.

Don't prematurely decide on the Ward 2 City Council member until you have heard from John Soppanish.

God willing, Gary Barge will be elected to the Ward 1 City Council position.

NRS
Major Hoffman View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Major Hoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 1:41pm
Actually, what you posted was:

"Here's one for you Vet the Dog Catcher, I mean Animal Control Officer they may lay off Makes (sic):"

By "makes" I assumed you meant what they earn.  Your posting started a string of comments that clearly also made that same assumption.

It appears your posting has been edited since I posted my response.  Your original post was included in my comment.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 1:45pm

Sue Hayes is a fine lady and true value to our community.

IMO the Manchester Rd. I-75 exit is no longer necessary, and would pretty much be a road to....................?

Greentree makes SO much more sense with the new mall and up-coming choke plant.

Middietown will probably come in 2nd again.

Strong rumor that Jeff Michel("Spider--I promise you that I am not running for ANYTHING!") HAS PULLED A PETITION TO RUN FOR THE 3RD WASRD cOUNCIL SEAT ALSO.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 1:54pm
To Mark Hoffman, Spider John, Pacman, Vivian Moon, John Soppanish, Etc. -

I learned the hard way that three current City Council members were not concerned about the proven waste/mismanagement of HUD funds plus retaliation that I would encounter from senior City staff for exposing the truth.

The motives of these THREE AMIGOS were solely based upon using any person (me in particular) and whatever information Skip Batten, Kyle Fuch and I provided to get rid of a current department head.

All three of these City Council members need to do some serious self-exploration.

I am a registered voter in Ward 3 and currently plan to vote for Joshua Laubach.

Nelson Self
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2009 at 1:56pm
Mark -

What are your responses to my comments?

Nelson Self
THE WEAVER View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WEAVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 8:42am
WinkIn answer to does Mrs. Parr need an assistant  yes she does.  she has been doing the work of three women with the help of a volunteer for the last year..This worker did a great job in volunteering for her and did not receive even a thank you or any recognition for this volunteerism.  I saw her at work and sheworked hard while she was there--you thought she was being paid for the work.  Thank you for volunteering Sue Hayes.Clap
Virtus View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virtus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 8:41pm
I am so glad Ms. Anita Scott-Jones keeps us updated on her many city appearances and especially at this last meeting to let us all know her educational achievements.  I can see it in the headlines now. 
"Dr. Anita Scott-Jones, 1st Supreme court Judge with a University of  Phoenix online Doctorate Degree"  her long black judicial robe draping the floor and all us "good ol boys" on our knees to her.
  We'll miss her when she's gone...there will be no more drama....no more eyes rolling and snickering from "Mr. Macaroni" oops I mean Marconi..and no more suspense as Anita waits 5 full seconds to contemplate on the important task at hand....voting on yes or no on trick or treat.   
Virtus - Holding out hope for Middletown.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 10:28pm
How sad that Judy Gilleland could not take a couple minutes of her precious time to thank Sue Hayes for the number of volunteer hours that she spent assisting Betsy Parr.  If it were Annie or Sammie or an MMF member we would be reading front page praises from Eddie courtesy of the MJ.  How sad!  Maybe some City Council member will thank you at the next regularly scheduled meeting?  We can only hope!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 10:29pm
To: Mark Hoffman

We are still awaiting your responses to my previous statements about Section 8, etc.

Nelson Self
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic