FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Highlands HIstoric District

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 11:12am
This turned out to be a very interesting post! 
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 5:57am
TudorBrown
  Glad you enjoyed the discussion however it isn’t over yet.
As Mr. Kohler stated last night about 20 homes did vote to approve their home being within this new historic district.
  Last night Mr. Kohler addressed the questions of rules and regulations
placed on these properties since they are part of a historic district. Now we will see what the homeowners think now that they are fully informed.
  I still do not agree with this area being declared a historic area because of the age span and number of homes involved.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 6:34am
Vivian- went to the Council meeting last night. Heard three or four people stand and talk about the dedication to the area, the upkeep of their homes, previous "movers and shakers" who lived in their homes and that 66% of the residents that had bought into the idea, paying what appears to be H.O.A. dues to the "Highland Historical Society", run by what appeared to be a self-important group of people. Now- which is it? Do these people actually want to preserve the integrity of the area and develop HOA rules to police that integrity OR, do they want the area to be designated an historical area to regulate what can and can't be built on that big piece of vacant ground formerly known as the Middletown Regional Hospital? Seems awfully coincidental, that when the land became vacant, they want to start a preservation group to dictate what will go on that property using the excuse that the area is historic. Why didn't they claim historical significance BEFORE the hospital left? If a piece of property became vacant in another older area of town, would the people living in that area have the same options as these people seem to have- ie claiming historical significance to regulate what can be built on that land? Probably not. Might be another example of the snooty rich imposing their power for special favors.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 7:06am
Vet
  You wait until one of these newer homes want to make an exterior change and see what Mr. Kohler has to say then...
  They had a big fight in Hamilton over what was going to be built on old school site property across from a historic district. You can bet that they will use this to try control what will be built across from the old hospital site. However since HHD was formed after the old hospital was torn down I don't believe they would win this fight.
Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 7:33am
Marty, In your pp presentation last night with the dozen or so photos of the most noteworthy homes, you never mentioned why the other 50-55 structures merit inclusion in a zone that historically should normally include only the handful of homes really tied to Middletown's history. Why so many homes and why now? Did these people just get up one morning after 30+ years of the city having one legitment historical district and then decide to have another or is it all about what's next on the hospital property?
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 7:41am

Merrell,

I could be wrong, but that one lot in the little "pimple" on the northwest corner of the proposed historic district was NOT even within the CITY LIMITS when the remainder of the district was annexed.  That one lot was part of a much later annexation!!!  Why was it included???  How about it, history buffs???  What's the deal here??
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 7:56am
I am not getting all of the hoopla about this matter.  Last night no one spoke against this matter.  This has supposedly been in the works for two years.  No one that owns a house there complained.  I don't blame them for possibly wanting a say in what goes on the old hospital site.  We don't need anymore multi family housing units, young or old.  Yup they have to follow the rules and the time to voice your opinion was last night.  It isn't like this was sprung on everyone like the Adkins fiasco.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 8:21am

Pac. Last night was the 1st reading for the public to be aware of the issue and beleave me it was unknown to many... or for that matter any 1st reading on most issues that come before council.  That's why their's a 1st reading. As I understand it, once the public officially is aware of an issue...during the next two weeks they can do a variety of things to question it, present other related information, lobby with council members etc.  The 2nd reading and vote comes when council members have considered  info from both sides and then votes. JMO

TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 8:23am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

TudorBrown
  Glad you enjoyed the discussion however it isn’t over yet.
As Mr. Kohler stated last night about 20 homes did vote to approve their home being within this new historic district.
  Last night Mr. Kohler addressed the questions of rules and regulations
placed on these properties since they are part of a historic district. Now we will see what the homeowners think now that they are fully informed.
  I still do not agree with this area being declared a historic area because of the age span and number of homes involved.

I've been told that Main Street would be in better shape today had it gained Historic District status earlier?

I'm not exactly for or against the idea, I do enjoy reading this boards opinions on the matter.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 8:41am
Merrell I fully understand the 1st and 2nd reading.  No one directly involved, they owned a home in the area in question, did not know that the matter was going before council last night.  No one with a home in the affected area that opposed the Historic designation showed up to voice their opposition last night.  This has been discussed by those people in the area for two years and no one voiced opposition that has a home there according to Kohler before other meetings.  So let them have their designation.

Personally I don't care one way or the other.  It doesn't affect me and my home was built in 1975 so I'll be long gone before anyone considers my home historic.LOL

Personally I think Adkins designating the whole City, Poverty City, Ohio, is a much bigger deal and all over $600k in CDBG Money, come on this is ridicules.  I would think you all would be up in arms much more about that.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 9:35am

Pac, I try to let you guys handle the real important stuff.

As to the new "historic district" I've got a column on the topic out some time this week. I pretty much make the point about the number of houses, the timing, and compairson to other city's historical districts etc. Obviously, there is no threat to their neighborhood from anything but the hospital. I just wish someone would say in public that's what it's really about. As to the number of homes involved.....66.....crazy. I still think it's an abuse of the spirit/intent of that kind of designation.  South Street District was built by the founders of the city and our major industry's. I'll give it a dozen large houses on the hill build by the CEO's etc of the orginal folks on South Main....but more than 50 houses that have nothing to do with the history of Middletown, sorry. To me it's just another version of how the elite on the charter committee were able to put two critical issues together on one ballot to totally change the way people may be represented by their council members. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 10:09am
TudorBrown,  You say Mr. Kohler said last night that about 20 homeowners  did not vote to approve their homes to be in the new district? Are you sure?
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 10:11am
Sorry Tudor,  I now see it was Vivian Moon which made the claim. Ditto to the question Vivian.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 10:56am
I watched the meeting last night and I am not sure but it might have been that 20 people had not paid into the HOA that they had established.  I know there are historical homes up there, but I can not imagine if I had a home built in the 70's that I would want to pay a fee to be in a historical district.  I have to agree with you Merrell - it won't effect me either way - just state the real reason for the designation.  It all has to do with the old hospital land.  The designation should be lowered down to the homes that are historical not the entire 66.
Iliveheretoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 11:08am
Look I live two blocks over the High Lands, My house is 150 years old and was owned by a prominent doctor back when it was built. So why is not my home or thew ones around me included in this historic District? I can tell you why! I dont live close enough to the old hospital. We all know thats what it is all about. I dont have a problem with that, but just say that. Stop with all the talk about it is needed to preserve Middletown crap. Just say it for what it is...You dont want section 8 built there. I dont blame you, but stop with the my old house crap.   
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 12:45pm
Merrell- I thought I heard that 20 number as to the ones not having paid their "membership" dues and I believe one of the presenters said that one homeowner opted out of the HOA altogether.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic