FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Highlands HIstoric District

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
THE WEAVER View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WEAVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlands HIstoric District
    Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 8:17am
Should Jeff Michel be nominated for Middletowns next elected Mayor?Confused.  He has beeen here 3 and 1/2 years and seems to have a lot going for him!  1. To do away with the Ward system.  Now he is pushing Highlands Historic District, which will qualify them for HUD and CDBG Funds, and suggest a Lake be built upon the Hill to hekp Beautify the Landmark Area.Shocked
Kelly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 8:48am
Funny stuff Weaver! Give Jeffy time - he'll toot his own horn on this subject high from that 400K+ home he's living in. Jeffy is doing it for the people! The man on the street! Yes, the man on Florence Street. Let the people decide! Jeffy's patriotic! We like that! Jeffy's tells it like it is! We like that! Jeffy's invited to "chat" on middletownusa...oh...Jeffy doesn't like that...too many on musa don't like the good ol boys, right Virtus??...It's scary in there without a cover!!!
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 5:20pm
I agree with 'The Weaver.'  Why not revitalize the former Middletown Regional Hospital property with mixed-income rental housing.  Utilize architecturally compatible designs so that the NIMBY residents of the Highlands Historic District will not object to this new construction.  What do you think about that Sammie??  ConfusedConfused

If lower-income rental housing is good for other areas of Middletown, it is also good for the S. Main Street and Highlands Historic districts too!  Maybe those of you having close personal contact with senior City of Middletown staff can get an allocation of HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) funds for this purpose??  ClapClap
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 3:28am
EXACTLY what is it that this "new" historic distric has, that nearly EVERY OTHER  neighborhood in Middletown does not have???

They've already allowed the TRULY HISTORIC original wing of the hospital to be demolished without a peep!!!   THAT was the MOST HISTORIC thing around there!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:36am

I just love it when all these people talk about saving historic buildings (their own) and the history of Middletown when they can’t even save the cemetery that was established in 1827.

How was Sam Ashworth able to vote on this since he lives in this district?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:47am
Personally I do not see it as a historical district at all.  Does anyone know of any historical events or reasons that it should be classified Historical District.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:48am
Miss Vivian -

You are being punished by senior City of Middletown staff for failing to defer to these almighty bureaucrats.  You rightfully informed us about the Historic Pioneer Cemetery and they are incensed because you uttered even one word in this respect.

You failed to pull out your prayer rug six times daily to get on your knees and pray in the direction of One Donham Plaza.

May the revenge of Middletown's pioneers be similar to that of the deceased in the movie 'Poltergeist.'  Watch out elitists!

Save the Historic Pioneer Cemetery and vote down further wasteful practices like paving selected alleyways, wasting thousand of additional dollars on the 'Dollar Homes'. building bike paths for a handful of enthusiasts, buying playground equipment for unspecified locations and purposes, hiring more Community Revitalization Department staff and (UNOFFICIALLY) transferring employees there from other duties, etc., etc.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:56am
Mr. Armbruster -

I'm told that the Historic Pioneer Cemetery is situated in Ward 1.  If that be true, why is it that you fail to say anything relevant (or say anything at all) about the Historic Pioneer Cemetery??  You have had opportunities to put a halt to the One Donham Plaza pork that eminates from this rendering plant that the bureaucrats occupy!!

Gary Barge -

Congratulations once again.  I sincerely request that you ask questions of Mr. Armbruster regarding this and other matters that he's been involved with as the current City Councilman!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 4:22pm

CHAPTER 1210:  HISTORIC PRESERVATION

1210.01  POLICY AND PURPOSE.

The City hereby declares as a matter of public policy that the preservation, protection, perpetuation and use of areas, places, structures, works of art or similar objects having a special historical or aesthetic interest or value are a public necessity and are required in the interest of the health, prosperity, safety and welfare of the people. (Webster Dictionary – necessity – 1. the state or fact of being inevitable or necessary. 2. something essential, esp. to existence. 3. poverty; great need. 4. compulsion.)
The purpose of this chapter is to:

(a)     Preserve and protect the heritage of the City by delineating structures, sites and areas that reflect the City’s cultural, social, economic and architectural history;

(b)     Stabilize and improve property values;

(c)     Protect and enhance the City’s attractions to residents, tourists and visitors, and to encourage business and industry;

(d)     Foster civic pride in the beauty and notable accomplishments of the past;

(e)     Strengthen the economy of the City;

(f)      Protect and enhance the visual and aesthetic character, diversity and interest in the City;

(g)     Promote the use and preservation of historic sites and structures for the education and general welfare of the residents of the City;

(h)     Safeguard the property rights of the owners whose property is declared to be an historic site or is located in an area designated as an historic district;

(i)      Develop appropriate settings for designated historic sites or historic districts; and

(j)      Establish a Council on Landmarks and Historic Districts.

(Ord. O91‑19, passed 3‑5‑1991)

Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:23pm
So Vivian,  So in your opinion, what clause in the A to J requirements for historical preservation are credible vs. not?
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 9:52pm
Bobbie - Here are just a few:

A lot of homes in this new district were owned by some of Middletown’s most prominent industrial and business leaders—at the local, state and national level.

For example:
7 Alameda Circle was built around 1915 by Charles R Hook, who was Chairman of ARMCO. Hook was married to the daughter of ARMCO’s founder, George M. Verity.

In addition to his career at ARMCO, Hook was also instrumental in helping to establish Junior Achievement as a national organization. Indeed, the national organization has an annual award named after him-it is actually the organization’s highest honor. This was taken from a press release:

The Hook Award is named after Charles R. Hook, an industrialist who served as president and chairman of Junior Achievement during the 1940s and 1950s. Under Hook’s leadership, Junior Achievement grew from a regional program in the northeastern U.S. into a national organization.

Hook also served as president of the National Association of Manufacturers, chairman of National Bible Association, trustee of America’s Future, Inc. and on the Board of Directors of several companies

Finally, Hook as been named on the 20th Century’s Great American Business Leaders by the Harvard Business School.

http://www.hbs.edu/leadership/database/leaders/charles_r_hook.html

You can read more about Charles R Hook. His biography is titled “The Human Touch in Business.”

Another ARMCO Chairman, Logan T. Johnson, lived on McGee. Jeff Michel’s home on Florence belonged to yet another ARMCO official, Middletown native W. W. Sebald, who served as President and Vice Chairman.    
The Aull/Driscoll families owned several homes in the districts as well. The Aull/Driscolls were loosely connected to the Sorg family. Grace Aull was married to Paul A. Sorg, son of Paul J. Sorg. He died at a young age, and the couple did not have any children. Grace inherited the Sorg Paper Company, and the Aull side of her family (later Driscolls) would run and control the Sorg Paper Company before it was sold to a national company.

Yet another home was owned by Ames Gardner who was part of the Gardner family, who owned a major paper concern in Middletown.

The homeowners are working hard to collect their individual stories. These are just the few that I know. I fully support their efforts to preserve this part of Middletown’s history.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 3:30am
There is a CONDO on Riverview that was owned by George M. Verity, whose achievements equaled those of Mr. Hook and the others mentioned by SWohio75.  Mr. Verity also served as Secretary of Commerce.  Can we make a large area around Riverview an "Historic District"???

Jerry Lucas's boyhood home was in the 2200 block of Grand Avenue.  Perhaps that should be a "Historic District"???

One could go on and on!!!

The question still remains about why the ORIGINAL wing of Middletown Hospital, without a doubt the MOST historic structure in Mr. Michel's area, was allowed to be demolished before the "historic religion" began to be preached.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 6:09am
Mike
The answer to your question is:Mr. Kohler and Sam Ashworth decide what is historic and worthy to be saved in this town.If it is "historic" and located downtown it is worthy to be saved and millions of dollars can be spent...if it is located on First Ave it is just an old cemetery with an old shed that needs to torn down..Hmmmm

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 6:49am

Merrell
    As I said above…Mr. Kohler and Sam Ashworth decide what is historic in Middletown.
    I must admit that I was a bit surprised that so many homeowners in this area were willing for their property to be included in a “Historic District”.
While this distinction does add a certain value to the property it also adds huge restriction to what can be modified on the inside and outside of the structure. It is because of these costly restrictions that most home owners do not want their homes declared historic. Any and all changes to these properties MUST go before the historic review committee for approval.
I guess we will need to wait and see if Mr. Kohler enforces all the historic rules and regulation to these properties or turns a blind eye. However the “Historic District” label does allow these homeowners to apply for tax credits, grants and low interest loans.
    I believe that the homeowners wanted to declare these houses historic so they could control what would be built on the old hospital property and therefore protect their property value and neighborhood.

accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 9:17am
There are remedies to the points raised above. Firstly, Ms. Moon, I applaud your efforts and impetus to protect historic interests. I do however feel after reading the city ordinance, I'm sure it supports a plausible argument the landmark at the cemetary has been determined or so named as historically significant. I'm sure the O.R.C. does a better job no?

As for the Highlands district, it obviously is an overly zealous effort by Mr. Kohler to protect the interests of the docs, and others around that area and if they can secure low interst grants, loans, that's not going to sit well with others who also have nice homes. I know of at least one new construction near Dan Ward in that area. The biger question is why did only 3 show up to support it, and no one that had objection did? Were there no notifcations? I want my Williamsburg replication cul de sac to be named "Antrim Estates District" in honor of the road taking golfers to St. Andrews as Mr. Kohler seems partial to Scottish landmarks. Or, perhaps it could be called the Downing District. For those in opposition, it could easily be brought down by council.

If I read the ordidance correctly, I assume the vault has not been named a landamrk. Then, the question becomes, how does it become a landmark. Do you need signatures or a motion by counil. Once you establish that, then its a landamrk of significance. Would that not be an easier route to take? At this juncture, I doubt if you'd have the votes to have it named a landmark on council.      
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 10:11am
Well accuro--it seems that we are neighbors.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 11:04am
Kohler decides too much in this town. That's part of the reason why it's in the condition it's in. With Kohler (and Mulligan) living in a designated historic district themselves, isn't it a conflict of interest for him to determine which areas of Middletown are historic? Should he be involved with making decisions with respect to historic areas especially when it involves money allocations to these areas as with South Main St.??? He benefitted by living in the South Main area by receiving money for his property didn't he? Did he have a hand in this decision and, if so, is this ethical? Are there credentials that one must have to determine what is historic or not or does the city just "deem" someone able to determine historic criteria? What are Kohler/Ashworth's credentials that make them the "historic area designators"? Are there legal guidelines to determine who is qualified and, if so, are they being followed in this city? If not, is there any legal recourse? If Kohler and Ashworth are making decisions that involve the use of taxpayer money- be it local, state or federal money- shouldn't the public be allowed to challenge those decisions? Where is the balance to all of this?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 11:04am
Accuro
    My current problem with the City is because Mr. Kohler said if I would get  the Middletown Cemetery declared historic I would be given CDBG funds to restore the vault. In 2006 the City Council declared the cemetery historic and Mr. Kohler did not submit the paperwork for CDBG funds to restore the vault. Yet these are the same funds that have been used to restore many buildings in the downtown area and the historic district. Now I'm told by the City that even though the vault has been declared historic and a local landmark this offers NO protection what so ever...so now the City wants the vault torn down. 
    Since the Middletown Cemetery is the most historic 11 acre in Middletown and owned by the City why wouldn't the City want to save it? Why is the downtown more important even though it has less historic value? You will also notice that the Middletown Historic Society has NOT spoken out on this issue.
    The Highland District has went before the Council of Landmarks and Historic Districts....however it still needs to go before the City Council to be voted upon before it becomes a "Historic District".
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 11:27am
Here is the link to HUD Historic Preservation information.
It's a reeealy great read
http://www.hud.gov/offices/cpd/environment/library/subjects/preservation/index.cfm
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 11:38am
The City's idea and your idea of taking care of the Cemetery is obviously two different things.  If the City decides to tear down the Vault and then maintain the Cemetery in a well kept fashion, I don't see where you would have much of an argument left against the City.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 12:18pm

Ahh Wasteful
Now we are to the meat of the problem…If the City had been taking care of the cemetery the Vault would not need to be restored...If the City had been taking care of the cemetery it would not have become an unsightly weed field littered with broken stones and  I wouldn’t have spent the last 5 years and a bunch of money cleaning the mess up….If your family was buried in this cemetery it would really matter to you.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 12:36pm
Vivian it has absolutely nothing to do where my family is buried.  I will agree with you If, If and more if's.....but that does not change the facts that the City didn't.  If the city starts to take care of the cemetery now and I agree they should have all along, this matter is pretty much closed.   If the City decides to tear down the vault it is their property.  Maybe a nice seating area with Park benches and flowers or trees can be put in that spot, with the Middletown Community Foundation money if it is still available.  I know you have put a lot of time, money and energy into this project, but why spend your remaining days fighting the city over it when a compromise could be reached and maybe a place to sit and think about the wonderful people who are laid to rest there. 
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 2:15pm
sj, point well made. The floodgates will open. I recall my home was built by a gentleman who's family had four generations of read admirals that went back to the McCain family, hence, my home and neighborhood must therefore be historic. I've given this more thought. I like the name of Monticello District in honor of the builder of the houses in my neighborhood from Virginia. How is "historic" defined? Is it by age? Mine's 50 years old, so what's the cut-off. And what about the modern homes built in Highland Park? Are just victorian homes deemed historic? Or should the Frank Lloyd Wright look house designed by the Tasmanain Architectural group out of Scottsdale be deemed historic. Well, I have my neighborhood earmarked. I know Currier & Thornhill will want theirs branded. And of course, DaVinci will want theirs marked historic, especially with the age of the oak trees. 
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 2:22pm
Streets/infrastructure
Storm/waste sewers
cemetary
the former downtown
Section 8/HUD/CDBG
Economic Development
Business retention

STEP UP ON ELECTION DAY!!
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 2:22pm
This may be said another post; if so, I missed it - for those of you who wanted the old hospital's little brick wall torn down (corner of Florence and Sherman), the reason it is staying up is because that is the wall where the Highlands Historic District plaquard will be displayed...just rumor at this point...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic