FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford won't be on the ballot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
All American View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All American Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford won't be on the ballot
    Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 12:57pm

Ford won’t be on the ballot

By Ed Richter | Thursday, August 20, 2009, 11:48 AM

The 2nd Ward race will have one fewer candidate in November Incumbent 2nd Ward Councilwoman Leslie Ford apparently won’t be on the Nov. 3 ballot as the petitions she filed did not have enough valid signatures.

When Ford went to the Butler County Board of Elections, she told the clerk that she wanted to file her petitions and paid her $45 filing fee. But she was unaware that she had to specifically ask to have her petitions pre-checked to make sure the signatures on the ballot were valid before filing the petitions.

Because of Ford’s assumption, the clerk collected the filing fee and petitions. A short time later, the clerk came back and told Ford that out of 76 signatures, 62 were of registered voters. Of the 62 signatures, only 35 of those signatures were valid while 27 were not because their addresses did not match their voter registration cards.

To run for a seat on Middletown City Council, a minimum of 50 signatures are required.

In an email sent today to Betty McGary, Butler County elections director, Ford said she does not contest the fact that she said that she wanted to file her petitions. However, she is contesting the fact that she was unaware that the signatures would not be pre-checked first and given the opportunity to get more signatures if necessary.

In her email, Ford said if the Ohio Revised Code permits someone to vote who had changed their address before an election and only has to show proof of that move, the same logic should apply in this case.

“I am also concerned that African American voters signatures were invalidated in an area that is in desperate need of representation,” Ford said in her email.

When contacted by The Journal, McGary said once a candidate turns over their petitions and pays the filing fee, the petitions become the property of the Board of Elections and cannot be returned. She said candidates can check signatures online through its Web site as well as a public computer in the lobby at the elections board office.

McGary said state law prohibits the altering or amending of petitions after they are filed with the elections board.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 1:12pm
“I am also concerned that African American voters signatures were invalidated in an area that is in desperate need of representation,” Ford said in her email."Thumbs%20Down

It is not everyone Else's fault because you failed to follow the law and procedures.  I didn't know the 2nd ward only included African Americans, I am sure Mr. Soppanish, oh geez he is white isn't he, or AJ can represent the Ward just fine.  I guess we will being hearing about this for the next 3 months now.

Why does it always come down to race for some people?

One down.

And yes folks I am being facetious.Wink

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 2:06pm
“I am also concerned that African American voters signatures were invalidated in an area that is in desperate need of representation,” Ford said in her email.
Does she want a seperate set of rules for 2nd ward ? If she is that incompetent who would vote for her any way?
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 2:16pm
One assumes she had ACORN gathering her petition signatures?  I didn't support the at large movement, but as I believe I can anticipate where this will be going, it makes for a strong case in support of consolidation. It would be wise for ASJ to remain silent on this issue.  
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2009 at 2:22pm
Good news here. Sorry to see Ms. Ford bow out this way but......goodbye! That's Ford down, Armbruster and Marconi to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic