Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ford Comments Aid Power Brokers Eliminate Wards??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Comments Aid Power Brokers Eliminate Wards??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Comments Aid Power Brokers Eliminate Wards??
    Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 4:38am

Leslie Ford's comments in Ed Richter's recent unsuccessful candidate deadline filing story:  “I am also concerned that African American voters signatures were invalidated in an area that is in desperate need of representation,” Ford said in her email.

Could it be...........................?? ConfusedConfused

Will Leslie Ford's recent comments relative to non-certification as a Ward 2 City Council candidate unwittingly provide ammunition for elitists and power brokers to strip the citizenry of the current ward system?? ConfusedConfused
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 5:31am

And then she said this, "Ford said late Thursday afternoon said she feels “certain groups in this city, African Americans, the poor and those of Appalachian descent are getting the short end of the stick. .”

“It smacks of the old days when it was made harder for blacks to take history tests in order to vote,” Ford said. “My issue is that people don’t realize they have to update their (voter registration) records.”

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:34am
If her issue is "people not realizing that they have to update their voter registration records, what is all this other jibberish about "AFRICAN-AMERICAN'S, the poor , etc. getting the short end of the stick" and "it smacks of the old days when it was made harder for BLACKS to take history lessons in order to vote". Why does she choose to go there with who she includes as being "oppressed"? She doesn't think that other nationalities had to go through some "oppression" also? Kinda gets old hearing it over and over again. He-- Ford, we're ALL getting the "short end of the stick" and "oppressed" in this town UNLESS you're in the INNER CIRCLE!!! Of course-- none of this situation she placed herself in could have been her fault as to knowing how to file, gathering the signatures, checking on the validity of the signatures and giving herself enough time to make sure it was correct before submission. Of course not! Bottom line: she would have been on the ballot if she had her act together. Incredible!
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:42am
I don't know Ms Ford - but I am very disappointed that the outcome of a mistake on her part, has now brought the race card to be played.  Everybody has the same rules and no one else had this issue. 
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:03am
There is no race card here.
I hate to see Ms.Ford denied the opportunity to run, since she has stepped in and served a full term +, and imo has progressed in the position. She has made many good decisions and finally seems to be discovering her independance from the power brokers.

I hope there is a full examination of Mr.Michel's petitions also.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:05am
Once again I raise the following question:

Will Leslie Ford's recent comments relative to non-certification as a Ward 2 City Council candidate unwittingly provide ammunition for elitists and power brokers in their attempt to strip the citizenry of the current ward system?? ConfusedConfused
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:28am

Nelson yes it will, if they continue on with the comments.  When you have the NAACP going to Council Meetings and Ford along with Ms. Scott-Jones speaking out against this at Meetings.  It will eventually be viewed as a Race Issue rather than a City Wide Issue.

When Ford collects 72 signatures from the 2nd ward and 54% of them are invalid you have a problem in the 2nd ward and maybe that is where these people should be focusing their efforts.  Making sure people change their addresses, etc.,  rather than the constant drum beat of, "Oh wooo is us."  After a while it doesn't play well and only drives people away.  People are tired of hearing the "Race Card" or even the perception of a "Race Card" being played and tune it out or turn against them.

This is just my opinion folks.
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:48am
I was opposed to the at large issue, and I say again, I live in ward 3, because I felt it was an attempt to overload the system with the right selection deemed by the few. But after this incident and comments, I have had enough. It is divisive and always the same issues. When people look into moving into an area they are not wanting to do so in a chronically racially charged community, when there is no need for it.

Therefore, her's four family votes that just swung in favor of the ballot allowing for reduction and at large voters to be increased. If I were Ms. Ford, take it in stride, and complete your college work.  
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 9:02am

Pacman you are correct it will make a push for the abolishing the ward system.  "Oh wooo is us"  attitude is tiresome.  Especially in a case on election issues.  Last year the election was all over the news especially getting registered.  So one would assume this would have to have been individuals that moved within the last year into Ward 2.  If this is not the case then there are issues in this ward and maybe that is something that Ms Ford could focus on since she will be unable to run this year.  Just because you are not on council you can still do good for your community.

Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 9:41am
I mostly agree with Spider that Ms. Ford was just hitting her stride on council and it's unfortunate she did not do her homework concerning checking her signatures. In my opinion, what she said was more about her ward needing and keeping it's representation than anything to do with her playing the race card. For anyone to claim that the main reason to retain the ward system is mostly about representing minorities by race is courting a backlash from the white community.  If the ward system is to survive, the rational needs to be about giving voice to all the common folks in all the wards who would not be as well represented with an at-large format. However, as Ms. Ford discovered, the 4-ward  supporters need to be turned out in mass and be properly registered.

\
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 9:52am
Middletown is already dominated by the power brokers and elitists!  We don't need any unsuccessful political candidate providing CAMPAIGN FODDER for the group of 100.

Middletown is blessed to have sensible, practical and honest citizens such as Pacman, Viet Vet, Impala SS, Mike Presta, Paul Nagy, Vivian Moon, Spider John, Merrill Wood, Nick Kidd, Gary Barge, John Soppanish, Sue Hayes, Accuro, Bobbie, The Weaver, etc.

Merrill Wood hit the nail on the head when he spoke of neighborhood haves and have nots.  Keep up the good work Merrill.  You are a voice of reason.  Thank you for your considerable service to Middletown over the years.

Citizens unite!  Stop the power grab and retain the ward system.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 10:36am
Sad to see her go out this way.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

those of Appalachian descent

Is she referring to European Americans as a whole, or just people from Appalachia?

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Is she referring to European Americans as a whole, or just people from Appalachia?

Im thinking she meant us Hillbillies. lol
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Originally posted by TudorBrown TudorBrown wrote:

Im thinking she meant us Hillbillies. lol

haha Big%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic