Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - People Working Cooperatively: Sparse News Coverage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

People Working Cooperatively: Sparse News Coverage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: People Working Cooperatively: Sparse News Coverage
    Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 2:34pm
During the two years that I served as Community Development Administrator for the City of Middletown, I was unsuccessful in convincing the Middletown Journal to print a human interest story about the partnership that we had with People Working Cooperatively.  As it is better know, PWC utilized HUD Community Development Block Grant, Federal Home Loan Bank of Cincinnati (Affordable Housing Program) funds, Duke Energy and other corporate grants to undertake emergency and minor home improvement repairs for Middletown's low- to very low-income elderly and disabled homeowners.

When I began working here in 1/2007, $75,000 in CDBG funds were allocated annually for this purpose.  Upon my departure two years later, $200,000+ in CDBG funds were allocated annually to leverage nearly $350,000 in matching funds.  I cannot speak to the status of this program as the new regime does not routinely distributed program activity reports as I did to the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee, City Council members and, yes, the Middletown Journal.

Hundreds of truly deserving homeowners throughout the City were assisted.  Very little City staff time was spent implementing the program as PWC workers performed all tasks in an efficient, cost-effective manner.

Nelson Self

PWC helps woman with mobility problems

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/pwc-helps-woman-with-mobility-problems-258871.html?bigName=Staff+photo+by+Rick+McCrabb&bigPhotog=Staff+photo+by+Rick+McCrabb&bigCap=Joyce+Burns,+who+lives+at+2019+Woodlawn+Ave.,+calls+the+remodeling+work+done+by+People+Working+Cooperatively+truly+amazing.+The+agency+completed+work+in+her+bathroom+and+kitchen.&bigDeclCap=Joyce+Burns,+who+lives+at+2019+Woodlawn+Ave.,+calls+the+remodeling+work+done+by+People+Working+Cooperatively+truly+amazing.+The+agency+completed+work+in+her+bathroom+and+kitchen.&bigCred=&bigUrl=http://www.ohio-share.coxnewsweb.com/multimedia/dynamic/00550/56917680_-1_550610c.jpg&superSizeImage=y

Staff photo by Rick McCrabb

Joyce Burns, who lives at 2019 Woodlawn Ave., calls the remodeling work done by People Working Cooperatively "truly amazing." The agency completed work in her bathroom and kitchen. 

By Rick McCrabb, Columnist 8:43 PM Thursday, August 20, 2009

Joyce Burns was a prisoner in her own house.

Burns, a mild diabetic on her third pacemaker and third knee surgery, had difficulty maneuvering around her kitchen and first-floor bathroom.

Those medical conditions were as restrictive as shackles.

For Burns, using the toilet or taking a bath — an everyday task — was a major chore.

“I couldn’t get down,” she said Tuesday, Aug. 18 while sitting at her kitchen table. “And if I got down, getting back up was harder.”

Then her life changed.

Burns, 63, found the keys to the jail cell hanging on the hook when she was introduced to People Working Cooperatively, a non-profit organization that serves low-income, elderly and disabled homeowners in 13 counties in Ohio and Kentucky.

The goal of PWC is simple: Provide professional, critical home repairs and maintenance services to help residents stay in their homes.

Or in Burns’ case, get around in her home.

John Hay, manager of the agency’s Modifications for Mobility program, called it a “construction company with a heart.”

Construction workers remodeled her bathroom, removed a wall and the bathtub and added a shower; and replaced her kitchen sink and cabinets, she said.

The 100-year-old house got a face lift that would make a plastic surgeon smile.

“I can’t believe it’s mine,” Burns said. “I’m tickled to death, thrilled to death.”

Now in its 34th year, PWC has provided more than 175,000 services to eligible clients, who on average earn less than $13,000 a year.

The agency is funded by local municipalities, businesses, organizations, foundations and individual donors.

Some of their repairs include simply adding a ramp to get residents out of the house.

“That six inches can be as significant as the Wall of China to some people,” Hay said.

Burns dropped out of Middletown High School in 1964, her senior year, to get married and begin her family.

She later worked in janitorial services and for seven years at Jefferson Smurfit. She is divorced with four grown sons, who all live in the area.

She was born in Middletown, and she plans to die here.

Right there on Woodlawn.

“This is home,” she said. “I’m so grateful, so thankful.”

For more information about People Working Cooperatively, call (513) 351-7921 or www.pwchomerepairs.org

Now if she would just keep the sorry now ex-husband out of her life and house she would be really deserving! He could have fixed these issues for her over the last several years.
familiar face
8:51 PM, 8/20/2009

We welcome your comments. Please remember this is a public forum and behave appropriately. Your comments must conform to our visitor's agreement.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic