FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Censorship is alive and well in Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Censorship is alive and well in Middletown
    Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:09pm
Once again the Middletown Journal has gone in and censored all of the Comments concerning the Leslie Ford Petition situation. 

Earlier today there were 35 comments, now there in one.  It is despicable that a Newspaper in the United States would continue to do this over and over again.  We are constantly baraged by the Press about access and freedom of the press, here in Middletown that does not exist as this is not the first time this has happened.   I would urge people to cancel their subscriptions to this paper and advertising until such time as the Journal changes it's practices.AngryOuchThumbs%20Down
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:15pm
I now see the reason for the censorship at the Journal, the Journal appears to be backing a write in candidacy for Ford.  This is a shameful action by a Newspaper.  If I were Soppanish and AJ I would be crying foul.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 6:24pm

Invalid signatures shut Ford out of city council race

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer
Updated 7:44 AM Friday, August 21, 2009

A lack of valid signatures from voters has derailed an incumbent councilwoman’s bid for re-election.

According to the Butler County Board of Elections, 2nd Ward Councilwoman Leslie Ford did not have enough valid signatures from residents that matched voter registration cards when she filed her petitions on Tuesday, Aug. 18.

The deadline to file petitions was Thursday, Aug. 20.

That means the race for the 2nd Ward seat on council will come down to A.J. Smith, of 16th Avenue, who filed his petitions on Thursday, and John Soppanish, of Lafayette Avenue.

When Ford went to the elections board office on Tuesday, she told the clerk that she wanted to file her petitions. But she was unaware that she had to specifically ask for a pre-check of petitions to ensure the signatures were valid before filing.

Because of Ford’s assumption that a pre-check was automatic, the clerk collected the $45 filing fee and the petitions.

A short time later, the clerk came back and told Ford that out of 76 signatures, 62 were of registered voters and only 35 were valid.

To run for a seat on Middletown City Council, a minimum of 50 valid signatures are required.

In an e-mail sent early Thursday to Betty McGary, Butler County elections director, Ford said she’s not contesting that she said she wanted to file her petitions. She is contesting she was unaware the signatures would not be pre-checked first and given the opportunity to get more signatures.

In her e-mail, Ford said if the Ohio Revised Code permits someone to vote who had changed their address before an election and only has to show proof of that move, the same logic should apply in this case.

“I am also concerned that African American voters signatures were invalidated in an area that is in desperate need of representation,” Ford said.

Ford said late Thursday afternoon said she feels “certain groups in this city, African Americans, the poor and those of Appalachian descent are getting the short end of the stick. .”

“It smacks of the old days when it was made harder for blacks to take history tests in order to vote,” Ford said. “My issue is that people don’t realize they have to update their (voter registration) records.”

McGary said once a candidate turns over their petitions and pays the filing fee, the petitions become the property of the Board of Elections and cannot be returned.

She said candidates can check signatures online through its Web site as well as a public computer at the elections board office, however pre-checks are not automatic and must be requested.

In an email response late Thursday afternoon, McGary said when Ford took out her petitions April 8, she also signed various forms, including one acknowledging the state law that petitions could not be altered or amended after being filed.

McGary also said the employee asked Ford twice if she was ready to file, to which Ford said “yes.”

McGary said it is “mandatory” for a second elections board employee to re-check the signatures on petitions being filed and a checklist is used to review all petitions to ensure they meet all of the legal requirements. McGary also said Ford never asked for a pre-check of signatures.

She said a third check of Ford’s petitions by a different employeee found of the 77 signatures filed, 44 were invalid for reasons such as duplicates, not genuine as they printed their names, not registered at all, not registered at the address on the petition, a person registered in another county, or registered in a different ward.

McGary said the state allows people to provisionally vote if they move right before an election but the voter still has to update their registration information.

“Leslie, it always is a disappointment to BOE personnel when a candidate goes to the trouble of circulating their petitions and does not find their way to the ballot

,” McGary said. “We are very disappointed for you.”

The Board of Elections will meet at 1:30 p.m. Tuesday to certify the petitions for candidates and issues for the Nov. 3 ballot. McGary said Ford’s petitions will not be recommended for certification due to insufficient signatures.

Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:05pm
Pacman -

Consider all of the information that I've provided to Middletown Journal staff.  Whatever happened to the expose on HUD funds that I was promised (and Rosa Lean Lindsey) earlier this year?  And, now I'm told that one of these individuals never told the other that "Nelson was railroaded by senior City of Middletown staff) at a late January 2009 lunch meeting at Pisanello's Pizza in Franklin.  Go figure?? ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:08pm
Pacman,
        You are absolutely right about the censorship. Yesterday, Ed Richter wrote an article entitled "Council Ward races will be Contested". In that article he wrote, "Picard cited finances, Section 8 housing, economic development and public safety as his key isssues." As a matter of fact that is the comment I gave him about key issues. Further, why would he only put Dan Picards key issues and not Mr. Thouroughman's or mine. He is especially biased, has been ever since he began. Again, I will boycott the Journal a I did in 2007. I even had a talk with him about quoting things correctly and reporting instead of editorializing but obviously it meant nothing to him. I placed a comment at the end of that article and it was removed within an hour to a different location. Your conclusions are correct.
     Paul Nagy
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 7:38pm
I wrote **** ****** in 2007 about erroneous info He had in one of his articles. He was gentlemanly enough to write back and explain that he understand what I was saying about the info, but that he,in fact, had to write want his Employer told him to write.
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2009 at 8:15pm
Boycott the City of Middletown Public Information Office!

Cronyism, no investigative reporting, misquoting are hallmarks of this so-called Beacon of Misleading Facts.

Thank you Paul Nagy for outing them.

Vote Barge, Nagy, Soppanish and Laubach.

Citizens Unite!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 9:31am
Pac- I canceled my subscription years ago when the Journal was taken over by the DDN and started reporting more non-Middletown issues on an increasing basis. This "ain't the old hometown paper that my father use to know" No investigative reporting, reporting that only presents one side of the issues, soundpiece for city leaders, poor grammar, poor spelling, and has been going down the proverbial toilet since the 80's. Much better paper when it was run by locals. Concentration then was on pertinent hometown news with a semblance of professionalism thrown in. Now, we have this added bonus of censorship. Wonder, if true, why Ed would want to work for a newspaper that told him what to write? Kinda takes all the meaning out of investigative journalism and the freedom to report using an unbias approach, doesn't it? If jobs are available Ed, I'd be looking for a different newspaper to write for. That is, unless you like being told what to write, how to write and what stance to take while writing it.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 10:01am
Mr.Richter is a fair person
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Write for someone else? Cox owns the MJ,HJ,DDN and other small locals.
Only leaves the Enquirer, and we aren't a news draw down there + they have enough issues of their own to fill two newspapers.

Exactly why I am against any more De-regulation of ANYTHING!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic