FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forest Hills, Wild Wood?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forest Hills, Wild Wood?
    Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 9:48am
Sam Ashworth stated that Wild Wood Golf Course is the oldest in town, built in 1922.

I thought I had read in True Steel that George Verity started on Forest Hills Golf Course around 1912 though?

Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 6:58pm
I  just checked my copy of  "True Steel" and Forest Hills was established first. Also, it is where it is because of who used it, Mr. Verity, his friends, clients and company executives.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 9:23pm
Thank you for checking!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 9:53pm
Sometimes it depends upon what the definition of "is" is, or, in this case, the definitions of "first" or "oldest".
I believe that Forest Hills was indeed the FIRST golf course constructed in Middletown, and therefore the OLDEST.  However, for many years this was the most "private" type of course that "private" can be.  There were no memberships available to anyone for years, and in that early period, only those invited by Mr. Verity could play there, and only when he decided to allow them to play.  Forest Hills was both figuratively AND literally in Mr. Verity's back yard.

Then came Wildwood, another "private" golf club, but one to which "memberships" could be purchased.  This would make Wildwood the "first" and "oldest" "country club" or quasi-private golf course in Middletown.  To this day, it remains the ONLY eighteen hole golf course within the city limits.

So I guess, depending upon definitions, either could correctly be called the "first" or the "oldest"!

I hope that this helps to confuse the issue!!! LOL LOL

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 4:42am
Thank you for the insight Mr. P.

I have another question.  What exactly makes Mr. Ashworth a Historian?  Is it a title he's bestowed upon himself, does he hold some kind of degree in History? Confused
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 5:36am
Tudor
Sam Ashworth is not a historian, nor does he have a degree in history.
I believe that his degree is in graphic arts.
He sits on all these City historic boards because he was the director of the Middletown Historical Society.
I would consider Roger Miller to be our local historian.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 6:12am
Follow the money.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 10:15am
Mike!!  So he bought his title just like Ann Mort did. Boy thats some movers and shakers . I dont mix with those kind of people.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic