FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Another Ho-Hum Year at MCSD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Ho-Hum Year at MCSD
    Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 4:37pm
Guess who had a major role in the creation of those HUD skeletons?  Hmmmmmm?  Hiding under the skirt of the almighty one must be a little claustrophobic?
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 4:19pm
According to Gilleland he is just wonderful and her righthand man.  Probably more likely he knows where the skeletons are buried. LOL
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2009 at 3:51pm
Why does Marty Kohler still have a job? Anyone? Anyone? In the private sector he would have been fired years ago.
AK - What is going on with that?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 4:31am

I was having a conversation the other day with a young lady that is on Section 8 housing. She said she was looking for housing outside of Middletown because her children were not learning anything in our school system.
Well it seems we have found a way to reduce the number of Section 8 vouchers…have the worst school in the area.

lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Plain and simple, it sounds like a con job ploy of some kind to access taxpayers' funds!!!

You Bet! Historic properties are eligible for CDBGs, are they not?
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Yep, this score should bring all those high class people with money just flooding into Middletown to buy property and place their kiddies into our wonderful school system. Thumbs%20Down
We need a new school board

Yep...
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 6:33pm
Plain and simple, it sounds like a con job ploy of some kind to access taxpayers' funds!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 11:06am
Kohler has been doing what he wants for quite a while.  We should rename the city to Kohlerville.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 10:53am
Wait a minute!

Kohler has "used the 50 year rule for this district"- Isn't there some type of legal rules of engagement that is recognized and defined by the county, state or federal entities when establishing a historical district? OR, can a local yokal official like Kohler just come up with an arbitrary number that defines the "historical age" of something???? There must be legal criteria that this group must follow to get this accomplished.

Secondly- your "restrictions on properties" comments- let me get this straight- they want to set up a historical district, but the rules that apply to that historical district-- uhh- don't apply to them???? It would be "self rule" where anything goes. Just "do what you want". What ???? This is illogical. If they want to set up a system that has rules and then not follow the rules, why set up the system at all?? What's the purpose if it's going to end up a free for all? Goofy!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 9:08am
Vet
I will not give another dime to the schools until the scores go up...PERIOD.

As for "historic districts"....I have worked on historic homes for 30 years and I thought I understood the rules. However after talking with numerous people involved in this new historic district....I guess I know nothing...and I still don't understand this plan.
    There are 3 types of historic districts, local, state and federal. The Highlands is to be a "Local Historic District" (therefore with the greatest control.)
    Marty Kohler has used the 50 year rule for this district. In other words if the property is 50 years old it can be declared "historic". (Example: Wright homes built in Chicago) The other examples where this rule has been used is for downtown areas that have been built over numerous decades in many styles. And as Mike would say.....HOWEVER....I have NEVER seen this rule used in a residential area with this range of ages. 
    Hamilton, Ohio has three historic districts, Rossville, German Village and Dayton Street and all of these areas feature homes built before the 1900’s.
    One of the benefits of a historic district is that owners of homes will not have to apply individually to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places and incur the expense associated with this process. How many of these properties would qualify to be on the National Register of Historic Places? Very few of these homes would qualify to be placed on the National Regeister...imo
    Clearly Mr. Kohler has used the broadest interpertation of this rule for this new historic district. (Just because you have a rule does not mean it is wise to abuse it..imo)

I was told that these homeowners want to protect their investments, homes and neighborhood. When I asked from what, I was told that they didn't want these large homes to be split up at a later date into apartment units like the Sorg and to insure that the properties would be well maintained. (Then why not form the Highlands District Association or just declare these large homes historic?)
    Restrictions on properties...(Now this is where my 3 little gray cells went tilt..tilt..tilt)  When I asked about historic restriction on these properties I was told that this area would be under "SELF RULE" by members of this district. That items such as a new roof would not need to go before the City Historic Review Committee. That in fact the "Historic rules DIDN'T APPLY to them or their properties...tilt..tilt..tilt..tilt.
    Bottom line...everyone that I have talked with has a different interpertation
of the "Highlands Historic District" rules..what they are and what they can and can not do with their properties..tilt..tilt..tilt
    I think Mr. Kohler needs to go before Council and explain all the rules before this goes before City Council on September 1, 2009.
    Sooo...if this is the historic rule that Mr Kohler is going to use then all of Middletown can apply...tilt..tilt..tilt.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 6:39am
Speaking of those new elementary schools being built...... I heard a nasty vicious rumor that the school folks were actually working on some scheme to go to step two.... new middle schools and a new high school. Is that true or just talk at this point? Gee, in assessing the promises made after building the new elementary schools( ie- better performance-kids learn better in a newer setting) and the grades/performance results, do you think asking for new middle/high schools has a prayer's chance in he-- of passing? We have not seen any positive results from Uncle Stevie's sales pitch about newer schools boosting academic achievement as yet, have we? Lord, some of the voters are gullible!!!!

As to historic districts.... I live about a block and a half east of WPFB's radio tower on former WPFB land. The local radio station has been here for years and is historic. Could the homes in my area be declared "historic" even though they were built in the 70's, 80's and 90's because they sit on former land of the radio station? What say you Vivian and Mike?     or should I ask Leslie Eugene Landen that question?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

But Vivian- pray tell, what would we do with all those new elementary schools we just had built if the kids learned at home on-line? 
Well, we could start by declaring them, and large areas around them (that include mover's and shaker's homes), as HISTORIC DISTRICTS and then use tax money to "DE-restore" them to look just like the historic buildings that they replaced! LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 12:35pm
Vet & Pacman
Gosh....I believe we have solved two problems at once. We're on a roll.
See how smart we are.Big%20smile
Do ya think they will be sending us a check in the mail for $100,000 since we have solved these pesky little problems.LOL
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 12:10pm
Hell Vivian you get the loaner computer and Internet service for free with these programs.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 12:08pm
But Vivian- pray tell, what would we do with all those new elementary schools we just had built if the kids learned at home on-line? You know, the same schools they told us would bolster the learning by creating a new, more technologically advanced environment for the kids? The same schools that are continuing to give us the same results we had with the old schools? The same schools that cost us $45 million in bond money to find out that it didn't make a real difference at all? We could rehab them inside to create a jim-dandy housing unit for more Section 8! Gilleland and the supporters of Section 8 would be pleased!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 11:56am

I believe we need to close down the schools and buy every student a new computer and they can just go to school on-line. I think we would get the same results or maybe even better. Heck, think of all the money we would save.
They can purchase all the computers from our buddy John Beagle. I bet he might even give them a discount.Big%20smile

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 10:56am
Well there is some real progress, we moved up from basement floor to first step off the basement floor.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 10:46am
According to information available from the Ohio Department of Education's website, the Middletown City School District actually DID improve during the 2008-2009 school year!!!

With a score of 81.7, they finished 592nd out of the 610 school districts in the state of Ohio!!!
(Last year, if memory serves, they finished 598th out of 610.)

They handily bettered Youngstown, Dayton, and Cleveland Municipal City School Discticts but barely edged outToledo, Cincinnati, Lima, and Columbus City School Districts.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 9:19am
The graduation rate above is pitiful if you ask me.  More than 1/5 of the students don't graduate.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 9:15am
State%20report%20card%20results%20for%20local%20schools
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 7:40am
Smartman- you have some interesting comments. Let's review:
1. Parental involvement- Agree- years ago there was a parental responsibility, concern, expectation and consequence between parent and child. Now, some parents of poor performing students don't care and are too busy taking care of their own problems without worrying about their kids. HOWEVER, I don't see the school board or administration meeting with the police and the court systems to design an "involve yourself or else" program to force the irresponsible parents to participate. Sometimes, you just have to bring the hammer down on some people.
2. Section 8- we can blame this problem directly on city council for allowing the excess to happen. This throws a burden on the schools and lowers the performance factor in the statistics and in day to day operation. Not the schools fault. Was forced on them by the city. This can be corrected as to number if the city had competent people running it.
3. Thriving community with industry- Again, the city's fault for not reacting to the job losses when Armco/paper mills started going down the tubes in the 70's. It was obvious to all of us except the Council and Econ Development people that we needed jobs to replace the trend of job loss 35 years ago. They are still asleep at the wheel after all this time and don't have a clue as to what types of jobs to go after nor how to attract them. They are incoherent as to this town's job needs.
4. Drive around- I have and it saddens me to remember how prosperous we were in the 50's/ 60's and to see how this and past city leaders since then, have taken the town to desolation. They should be ashamed but one would need morals and a conscience for that. We have no leaders like that.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 7:25pm
Vet you are right in what you say! I know, I am agreeing with your for once. But don't you agree, things are very different than 40 years ago. We had parental involvement, my mother went to every conference because it was importanat that I succeeded in school. We did not have section 8 amd if we did it was minimal. We had a thriving community with industry that we don't have now. Parents wanted their kids to be better than we were, have a better life. Drive around town and just look, its not like it was when we were kids.

Sure the board needs to go, most of them anyway. We need real leadership in ths community for it to succeed and more importantly parents that care and a borad the will be positive to get parents involved again!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 6:40pm
The numbers only went up 1.7% from the previous year !? Looks like they are stuck in a rut with numbers like that every year.

And yes Vivian I agree,the school board has to go !!!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 5:22pm
Yep, this score should bring all those high class people with money just flooding into Middletown to buy property and place their kiddies into our wonderful school system. Thumbs%20Down
We need a new school board

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 2:57pm
Betsy Carter- SENIOR DIRECTOR OF LEARNING- A couple of ways to look at your statement "our schools are improving every single day and we have alot to be proud of in Middletown City Schools" Yes, you could say that you are improving with ANY positive numbers. But, you also have to include the time it took you to get to those numbers and consider the pace at which you are achieving success. To date, the pace is one of a snail. It will be 20 years before this system sees the next level in achievement at this pace. Secondly, IF you compare this school system to the quality of yesterday's Middletown schools- ie- achievement, image, reputation, results, effective discipline, structure, etc., you would be shocked at how Middletown's schools have reverted backward in quality. It's all relative- you see improvement- Having been here for 60 years and having gone through this school system when it functioned correctly and produced positive results- I see you folks still in the abyss- not even reaching the bottom rung on the achievement ladder of a once proud district. Your schools have been stagnant for too long, stuck at continuous improvement for years. Time to change it up a bit, wouldn't you say???
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic