FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looks Like Pool sprung it's final leak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looks Like Pool sprung it's final leak
    Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 8:09am

Declining attendance clouds future for Sunset Pool

AK Steel Corp. grant to operate pool expired at end of 2009 swim season.

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer
12:23 AM Sunday, August 30, 2009

The summer of 2009 is among the coolest and wettest of the past two decades, which didn’t help attendance figures at Middletown’s Sunset Pool.

Attendance was down by more than 20 percent over last year, with 6,676 admissions for the swim season that lasted from June 13 through Aug. 19. Admissions included 4,625 children and 2,051 adults, according to the city’s Department of Public Works and Utilities.

There were 8,461 admissions last year and 10,410 in 2007. In 1993, Sunset Pool recorded 24,438 admissions, according to city records.

The future of Sunset Pool is in peril because of uncertain funding and will be the topic of the Sept. 14 park board meeting, said David Duritsch, department director.

Merrell Wood, park board chairman and founder of the Sink or Swim organization, said the city needs to have a public swimming pool to provide a recreation outlet for all residents and so children can learn how to swim.

“It’s not the affluent children who use the pool,” Wood said. “The kids who need it don’t have a place to swim elsewhere.”

Wood said funds could be raised privately to keep the pool open.

A $150,000 grant from AK Steel Corp. to operate the pool for the past three seasons expired this year.

Vice Mayor Jim Armbruster said City Council won’t fund the pool under the city’s current financial situation.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 12:13pm
Mr. Wood states that one of the reasons it is important for Sunset Pool to remain open is for kids to learn to swim. There is always an option for the parents to sign the kids up for swimming lessons at the YMCA, depending on cost of course. Mr. Wood also suggests that the pool could be funded through private funds. Would these private funds come from company donations, fund raisers or, perhaps, a dollar or two added on to the water/trash collection bill each month. ( with citizen approval of course!)???
Just a thought.
6,676 admissions with 4600 kids and 2000 adults seems a tad bit low for a city of 50,000, doesn't it ? Most of these admissions were no doubt, repeat business. Is this small percentage of people using Sunset really an indication of interest? It certainly would be nice to have a public pool, but then reality hits and you realize that perhaps, it may be time to go on to a more noble cause.                                                        
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 12:39pm
Vet my son learned to swim at the Y I think it was like $7.00 with the Cub Scouts.  The we need to teach them to swim reason is wearing thin if you ask me.  If it is that high a priority for parents they will get it done.   With that few people using the pool I don't see it getting funded at this point.  Down the road if the City recovers fine have a pool, but for now unless you can get the people that use it to cough up some bucks close it down. 
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 1:05pm
So the golf course is of higher priority Vet? You don't understand. When a community doesn't have basics like a pool, it is a brand identity of a death spiral. Look at Germantown, Franklin, Miamisburg, other communities. Thy have pools. Is it more imporatnt to have an underperforming golf course or underperforming swimming pool open? I argue the pool, because that's a basic element of substance that shows parity with other communities. Middletown is dead and your suggestions just further the acceleration of the spiral. It also exemplifies how screwed up prioroities are. Golf course and airport more important than a swimming pool for kids?This town is beyond hope. RIP.    
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 1:22pm
accuro- Did I mention the golf course in my post? FYI, I don't use Sunset and I don't use Weatherwax either. I have no bias in this choice as to what to keep open or closed. He--, if Weatherwax is a money loser, close it down too. I'm just looking at these two entertainment venues as to whether they are self-sufficent or not. If not, close 'em down. If so, hey, keep 'em open. No biggy to me. My bottom line is not to use taxpayer money on entertainment that is not self-sustaining- especially in a town that is in dire need of revenue- (or so they say). My suggestions "just further the acceleration of the spiral"? Really. How is suggesting that we shut down money losing ventures contributing to the spiral? Obviously, only a small percentage of the citizens care about the pool. Look at the numbers. I'm all for the health of this town. He--, I've been here since 1948. My hometown...... I've got a vested interest in seeing it succeed. Might be sad to say, but I still give a dam about the town.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 1:29pm
With each article that I read in the newspaper the more depressed I become.
We don't have the money isn't an answer either.
This seems like a really small number of people that are using the pool.
Why aren't more people going to Sunset Pool?
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 1:48pm
When I was growing up the People across the street got a new in ground Pool. Everyone in the Neighborhood was quietly asking each other they afforded such a thing. In those days any Pool (above or below ground) was an expensive propositon so few People had them and just went to the Public Pool.

Now a days a lot people have pools and don't need the public pool option, thus the admission numbers are minor compared to the past. I grew up going to Yankee pool several times a week, were my Children have never  in their Lives been to a Public Pool (excluding the YMCA). I don't think my situation is really unique.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 1:56pm
accuro West Chester must be on its last leg in it's death spiral as they have no pool.  I have lived all over the world and never in any of the cities that I have lived has there been so much squawking about a damn pool.  I don't recall a single person in those city's/towns saying "Oh my God we have no pool, life is over as I know it."  You people need to get a grip on reality around here.  A pool is NOT going to be a deciding factor as to whether new residents are going to move here.

Good performing Schools
Jobs
Lower Poverty
Decent Housing
Infrastructure that is maintained
A City that is Financially Viable
Local Amenities, i.e. retail, entertainment, etc.
A Good Hospital
a city's image
etc., etc., etc.

Those are what peopl want, I am sure a pool falls somehwere on that list like number 99.  I am sure there is someone that puts a pool above all of those issues above and if they do then we don't need them in this city, we have enough already.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 2:08pm

Acurro the pool is there and they are not using what the Hell do you want, limo service to and from the pool with lunch served and a babysitter for every car load.  I don't play Golf either, but if I was a city leader and it came down to an under performing pool or Golf course I would support the golf course, more upside at the Golf Course than a hole in the ground and yes the Airport also.  I hear they are looking to expand at the Airport because it is full.

Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 4:14pm
I love these discussions. Where do I begin.
"Always the option for parent's to sign up the kids at the "Y" for the Summer." What parent's are those? Those who just run downtown and toss $'s on the counter they don't have? We looked into that option for kids to get a discount etc. etc. for just the summer. The "Y' said "no thanks," they have a certain... how may I say.... number of folks who would't want those kind of "kids" in the pool with themmmm.  Back in Feb, during discussions with the regional chiefs, it was made clear that anything done at one "Y" branch would have to be offered at all. Pacman, as to your kids swimming at the "Y" ... for seven bucks. Have they given you any grand childern yet? As to the Sunset numbers, (Coldest summer in twenty years) No there not great, demographic change, baby boomer growing up, city economy etc.... Doesn't make money! (It's never be expected to be a revenue maker) Arn't you people usually pissed about how the city spends it's $'s?  ($250,000 out of the general fund in 08 to cover Weatherwaxe's deficit. Pool cost the city $15.000 last year in cash and in-kind city employee help.  As to repeat customers, I can't recall anyone I know playing just one round of golf a year.  Packman, I"ve shot assignment's (photo)all over the world and lived out of the country for 8 years in Latin America. Lot's of pools for the public, out there, espically the poor kids. And why do you keep saying what is obvious to us all. Yes there a manyyyyyyy more issues with the city of greater importance than a pool but...... but if the $'s  can be raised from the private sector. What's the big deal?
Oh, and what's this term somebody's using? "under performing."... Give me a number that shows it's performing. None of us are going to drag this place out of the muck very soon, but it also doesn't require we have to solve the top-ten big problems before we knock of a few of the smaller ones. I don't wan't to debate this issue forever, I just want to keep a pool open for kids who don't have the "Y" option, nor the backyard pool. (Not very many in the neighborhoods where a lot of these kids come from...SOS did a survey) Again, If the money is there from the private sector for a pool, Why not? Or am I expected to tell the sponsors, Wait!! We have other priorities in our fair city that are much more important and we need to spend your dollars on that more important stuff first.  The only way out of this mess we're in is leadership..... JMO

accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 6:07pm
Pacman, I have been an expatriate and traveled all over Europe and Asia Pac. You are totally missing the point. When the pool is closed, you have the history of its operations and how many acres of a park in complete under allocation and usage. Sunset was a thriving pool and park at one time. Its decline is associated with very poor weather this year, but to say a pool isn't practical for a city of 50,000 is very much an ostrich in the sand outlook. It reflects physically, the continued decline in Middletown which makes the city worse. What you are going to have in Middletpwn in 5 years is a significant number of retirees waiting to mopve on, enjoying the Senior Citizen Center and golf at Weatherwax, while no young blood is moving in, and won't. You approved a leey for schools, what value and return did that bestow? Its very illogical to state its not worth shilling $50 Kk for a pool in a community the size of Middletown. Didn't bother most that the city wasted $50 Kk on studies and marketing on the Renaissance, or the money lost at Weatherwax. Face it- Middletown cuts where it hurts its future outlook of attracting younger demographics, its over, the city is dead. You can't give a home away, and now dump dirt in the hole that's been around since the 20's? Where's the history lovers now, saving the pool? Oh, too busy taking care of the Highland Park area. 
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Iliveheretoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 7:59pm
I agree that the pool should stay open, atleast over a golf course. If I had to pick one of the two to feed money too it would have to be the pool. Look Middletown is in big trouble and it hurts more to lose the pool. I agree that A pool is a way to bring younger people to middletown maybe not tomorrow but at some point. How many things in town have to close? When I grew  up here there were three pools to chose from Franklin, Middletown And Miamisbrug.

They are important to a town and its apperance, at some point this town will turn around (I hope)and when it does it will nodoubt  cost more to reopen the pool.  It wasn't the grestest summer ever we all can agree on that. 

But it is not the main reason Sunset is losing money. People dont have the money to spend or give their kids to go to the pool. Not sure what it cost to go, but was 5 or 6 bucks when I use to go (I think). Lower the price and more people may come out and in the end that means more money.

If the city needs to cut money to keep it open I am sure they can find it. They seem to when it benifits them. What about Armbruster, thats his ward what has he said about the whole thing?

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 8:12pm
iliveherotoo... appreciate you comments. The admission to the pool is $250 for kids  and the $50.000 it takes to operate comes or will if it can be done...from private sources. City spent about 15 grand this year in cash and in-kind services by city employees who kindly offered their services off the clock. Pool is in Marconie's 3rd.Ward. As to Weatherwax, it's a REGIONAL 36 hole golf course that needed a $250.000 subsidy last year from the general fund to cover it's financial shortfall. Expect a bit less this year because not as much rain. Manager tells me they are keeping it track of the debt to the city...what ever good that will be ....as if it will ever be paid back.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 9:00pm
"Pacman, as to your kids swimming at the "Y" ... for seven bucks. Have they given you any grand childern yet?"

No Merrell fortunately he is only 13 years old, and it was the Downtown "Y" where he learned to swim with the Boy Scouts for about $7.00.

Merrell I could care less if you have a pool that is funded by private funds.  Just how much money does SOS currently have for the running of the pool next year?  $75,000.00, $25,0000, $10,000.  I mean you have had 3 years to plan for the time when the AK funds would run out.

You guys think that anyone that doesn't fall into step with your plans is oh such a bad guy.  I'll tell you I'd like to have an indoor pool that could be used year round by everyone, but currently that is not possible. 

If you put 1/2 of the effort into organizing to move the city forward as a whole then everyone would benefit, but you all don't.  You would rather say Middletown is dead and a pool will make a good band aid.

You all keep creating an us against them attitude in everything you do.  Just about every post some of you make a very distinct divide between the people of Middletown just because of where they live or the fact they have better jobs and make more money.  No one should be ashamed or made to feel ashamed for what they have gained in life.  I have what I have because I work 6 days a week 10-12 hrs a day for the last 20+ years and no ever handed me diddly squat in life.

It is those very people you all constantly denegrate that support this city by paying the lions share of the taxes to support what little this city has.  Some of you amaze me with you shallowness towards many of the fine people in Middletown.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 9:59pm
Pacman, I apologize if I offended you, I was just kidden about your kids. My son is 21 and used to swim at the Y also. But wait a minute, Now SOS is expected to plan 3 years ahead? We're doing the best we can but gotta get around the city administration first. As to your take on this blogs contributers constantly bitching about them vs. us, I agree with you.  Why don't we all just indentify ourselves and  try to work together and turn the ship of state a little. Talk is cheap. I'm sure we can all agree we want a better city, not to mention leadership. I've always said  that those who post on this site should all just get together at a local pub, get a little drunk and get to know each other  better. My God... it's not like we're all over  the state, we're probably just down the block. Anyway... I'm tired of typing.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 6:28am
Merrell- First of all,let me say that I applaud you efforts and appreciate your ideas and devotion to the cause. With that said,IMO, bottom line- more power to you and the "keep the pool open" folks IF the pool can be supported with private donations. By all means, keep it going from a financial standpoint. However..... strictly looking at the "money spend versus rewards/interest" aspect, can you honestly justify keeping the pool open for 10% of the residents to use? Don't the numbers tell you that there simply isn't enough interest from the citizens to make it worthwhile? Merrell--- you mention providing swimmming opportunities to the families that can't afford the YMCA and who live in neighborhoods with no backyard pools. This is a noble feat, but honestly, aren't you reacting from the heart rather than from logic on this?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 6:57am
Merrell- I'm all for "getting together at a local pub, getting a little drunk and getting to know each other". When, where, any other takers on this? Hard to get people to move away from the keyboard and meet. That's been the problem since day one. If everyone who is angry about the condition of the city would show up at a meeting, we would need an auditorium, not a conference room. Until we all get together, get to know each other and talk about things (I hope something develops from this proposed meeting/discussion that will stimulate some action to unite and challenge the current leaders), we will all stay isolated in front of our monitors to complain and solve nothing. Organizing the troops has been tried several times with no success. We can't (or won't) take the time to drive to the meeting place, sit down with each other and discuss topics to develop an approach to force change. Except for a handful, these same angry, discontent people won't even meet at the Library on a Sunday afternoon to talk. Can't get off the couch and away from the TV, I guess. Sad.

And, oh yea, it is about "them versus us" because the "them" (leaders) won't listen to the "us"(citizens) creating a situation where one has to choose sides and the "them" wanting a secretive select few to run the town without input from the "us" and the "them" refusing to sit down and talk with the "us". Who is the catalyst for the feud?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 7:17am
Vet
I'm ready for a meeting of the minds..name the place and the time.
We need to start by showing up at the Council Meeting Tuesday night and speaking up to keep the Ward System so all residents can have a voice.
Then we need to get together to support our new canidates for City Council of these wards and tell them what is REALLY important to us.

accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 7:25am
Vet, I agree with your statements. I recall a month ago that the number 1 priority was reversing the city ordinance changed in 1987 associated with asphalt and infrastructure. A few options were put on the table, harness the leverage and accountablity for those running from office. What a novel concept for someone running for office- tell the punlic that's a top issue and a major goal he/ she supports. But it went no where after bringing it up. But no candidate brought it up either, no current one, no new one. I appluad Mr. Woods efforts on the pool. When a community doesn't care about its kids regardless of numbers, its a real turnoff for others looking in a community.

As for the meetings, the biggest impediment has been a singular leader. The community is outraged and knows what has happened, but have total apathy because of the mess. The "other" side of the dark side, using sj, words, need a leader. I think Mr. Woods has excellent communication capabilities, and has done many very nice things for the community. There's a year before the pool will be re-opened, if it does, so there is time for some efforts at fund raising. But for anyone to suggest the $50 Kk wasted on marketing surveys and studies for  the Renaissance or Town Mall was better spent that having a pool open...   
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 8:02am
Viet, I gotta leave, but a quick response to your first post. As to the 10% thing. There are not 5000 kids participating in organized sports in Middletown. Those who do, certainly have parents who think it's important for it to happen. Not from their heart but from the practical reality that their kids need recreation. As park board chairman, I'm exposed to the numbers the city spends on our parks and recreation. It's a sobering number that goes down every year.  My heart vs. logic, I don't think so...although I did vote for Obama.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 6:47pm

1.  I am all for getting together for a few beers, depending upon the time and the place.

2.  Here's a thought regarding Sunset pool:  Have it declared a "HISTORIC DISTRICT", and then use CDBG and other federal monies for "beautification" and "restoration" as some others have done. Wink
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 7:49pm
About Sunset .....Mike, Great idea..... but I don't think that there's any big undeveloped
plot of land next door that would require "Historical" designation to protect property values. But I did hear there are plans to put some section 8 housing in to the middle of Sunset Park.

Fricker's ... Saturday Mornings ...9:30 to 10:30
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 9:27pm
Mike !!        Thats a good idea everyone else is doing it, why not give it a try.
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 9:34pm
Viet !! I will meet with you all , it depends on my Dr. Appoitments so let me know when and where. We should also talk about new people running for city.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 6:04am
Originally posted by Merrell Wood Merrell Wood wrote:

Fricker's ... Saturday Mornings ...9:30 to 10:30
That is past my bed time!!!  (Besides, they CLOSE at 2:30!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic