FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voice your Opinion In Person Or...Not At All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Iliveheretoo View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voice your Opinion In Person Or...Not At All
    Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 10:45am
I love this site, I love that people can pretty much say what they want. But I am growing tired of the constant rants about city council. There is a meeting tonight at Highview School, I challenge all to attend and voice your complaints face to face with those that you disagree with.

I done want to hear that I should walk the walk, I have spoken at more than meeting. At least I can say that. I know of a few people on this site that have also spoken and for that they have my respect. Its those that come here and just talk and talk but will not come down and stand up. Yes I am all for tossing them out in November VET, but November is still a ways off. And until then we are stuck. I suggest that members of this site get from behind their key boards and come down tonight.  But the sad truth is I know none will, with the exception of one or two. That's what is sad.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:09am
I will be there tonight, and like you I hope to see all of MiddletownUSA there. 
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:16am
what time is this meeting?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:17am
Wow Iliveheretoo- grouchy this morning aren't you? So you have had enough of everyone complaining about Council huh? Some of us will take up your challenge and attend the meeting tonight. Some may even speak.(some may not be set up at this time to address Council)    But--- one thing's for sure. When one does address Council with their concerns, they need not waste time waiting for an answer nor expecting one as the good mayor and his merry men are never prepared to engage in any dialogue with the citizens. After one sees this time and time again, you finally realize that it does no good to attempt to communicate with them. That's why you don't see people on this forum addressing them. They have learned what to expect and won't waste their time.
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:28am
No Vet I am In a GREAT mood, just tired of all the people talking bad about my city. Yes our city is in bad shape can deny that. But people need to speak up face to face or not at all. I agree that council will not respond to any comment made (unless you bad mouth Mr. Landen) but we can still say what we want. i just want o see more of that that is all. I will give you an example Vet.

At the last meeting  people from the Highlands got up and stated why their 150 year old houses should be historic and blah blah blah. But no one got up to oppose it NO ONE! But then the very next morning I come to MiddletownUSA and here all these posters talking about why it shouldn't be  and how it is this big conspiracy to keep section 8 out of the old hospital site. I agree that this is the reason, but why did no one speak against that night?  
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:28am
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

what time is this meeting?
5:30 pm   http://www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=4624
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 12:02pm
Iliveheretoo- I was there and concur that no one got up to speak in opposition to the Highland District residents request. I too was guilty of not voicing an opposing position. If you were there, did you speak in opposition? If not, then you can't berate the members of this forum for not speaking out too, can you?

Actually, I didn't see a point in making a strong argument concerning this HOA proposal when it doesn't affect me where I live. Whether they have a historic district or not in this area, won't matter as to my desire for this town. The REASON for the HOA/historic designation bothers me- ie - they appear to want to control the type of development, particularly on the old hospital site, that is next to them to ensure there is no Section 8 built there or that homes of much lesser quality and price won't tarnish their upper crust area. I would imagine that if that had been brought up, it may have ruffled a few feathers in the meeting that night. Bottom line: Kohler and the boys will ram through what they want regardless of the opposition in front of them.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 12:24pm
"The REASON for the HOA/historic designation bothers me- ie - they appear to want to control the type of development, particularly on the old hospital site, that is next to them to ensure there is no Section 8 built there or that homes of much lesser quality and price won't tarnish their upper crust area."

Seems like a reasonable action to me, the way that this city has handle the section 8/public housing issue, can you blame them.  Vet do you want a Public Housing unit on your block or next to you?  I don't.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 12:29pm
Iliveheretoo
    The Highlands Historic District was a done deal before Mr. Kohler spoke at the last meeting because he used the 50 year rule. A correction for you, none of the homes in this area were 150 years old, they were from 1898-2002.
    The little suprise from Mr. Adkins at the last meeting declaring the entire City a slum was a complete suprise to everyone.
    I just finished reading the workbook for tonights meeting and I found NO reference to the NEW VISION being presented at tonights meeting. I guess this is going to be another little suprise for us.
    However I will be speaking at the next City Council Meeting September 22, 2009.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 12:47pm
Vivian you can't present a vision with the time constraints they have placed on this meeting.  It is just the yearly dog and pony show that the city puts on.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 1:33pm
wasteful- yes, I agree. This would seem logical to me if I lived in the Highlands area. I guess I didn't state my point very well. To continue- IMO, It is not the Highland's folk's actions that are in question here as much as their motives, influential power and timing. Just seems awfully coincidental that as the hospital land became vacant that they wanted historical status for protection from potential "undesirables" living near them. Until now, there had been no attempt to do the "historical thing" until the land was cleared and made available. The implication is that they want total control of who occupies this land and are using "strongarm influence" to get it.

Question to you: Would ALL parts of this city have the same sayso as to who lives by them- given this same situation? Probably not. I would say just a selected few areas of town would have this priviledge.

Question to you: Do you think ALL areas of town wanting what the Highlands folks want would receive the backing of Marty Kohler? Probably not. These people have the ear of key people who can make this happen. Most other areas of town would be ignored as to backing from Kohler.(except where he lives in the South Main St. district, of course)

In answer to your question "Vet, do you want public housing units on your block or next to you?" Answer: No, I wouldn't. HOWEVER, where I live, the likelihood of Section 8 or HUD infiltration would be little to none. Rent for them would be too high and probably exceed government allocation. Too many influential big shots living in/close to the Oaks to allow that to happen. No vacant land either to defend from "undesirables". Not the same situation that the Highland's folks have.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 3:03pm
DISREGARD
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 3:35pm

Hermes spare me the holier than thou crapola, will ya.  Drive down Old Roosevelt Rd and you will see exactly what everyone complains about.  You own your own home whooopppeee, so do I.

MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 4:48pm

Section 8 section8 section 8. I love how people can turn any topic  into a section 8 discussion. I have no problem with section 8. Is it a little out of control in our city? Yes it is! But is it the reason the city is in the shape it is in? No it is not!

And Vet I didnt speak against the Highlands, because it does not matter to me. I dont care if they put section 8 there or not. I do think that people that who say they dont want section 8 next to them because they feel it brings a "certain" type of people are just disrespectful. I would love to hear some peoples opinion if the all of a sudden they needed Section 8 (wasteful) . I just dont understand the problem. And Again I will say this, if the city Council's decissions drives you that crazy then get off your buts and head down to the meeting and speak up or protest it is your right.

All the talk about storming city hall that has went on on this site, where is action? Oh I know where it is...Behind a key board because that gets things done. As for me when an issue comes up that I feel as strongly as some of you do. You can bet that my voice will be heard, no matter if it gets things done I can atleast say I spoke my mind face to face to those I disagree with.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 5:32pm
Iliveheretoo, some people are short sited and some people just can't see at all that is the catagory you fall into.  If Section 8 is no issue then why isn't the whole county clamoring for it.  It is an issue and if you don't understand it and how poverty go hand in hand and have dragged this city down with the other issues then you my man or woman have a serious problem.  You can not have a city that is so soci-economically out of balance that the whole city is falling apart and that is the state that Middletown is in.  A sensible amount of Section 8 is not an issue an over abundance for one area such as Middletown is when you have Public Housing and a poverty rate of 22% plus.  Even the City admits their rental housing should be at about 3000+ units and not the 9000 that it has.  You like many others like to wear blinders and pretend there are no issues, sad to say that is not true.  The current situation in Middletown is not sustainable, if you don't believe me just keep on doing what you are doing and in 10 years you will have a ghost ton most everywhere west of Beiel.  But hay you and Hermes just keep on thinking everything is fine and ..................Dead
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iliveheretoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 8:31pm
I love how people change their opinions as the respond to peoples post. Make up your mind Wasteful, Do you want some section 8 or none? I never said Middletown wasnt in trouble. What I did say is that not everything can be blamed on section 8. as for the blinders I wear, one most wear those to see past you and others like you with your one sided views and your not in my back yard stance. The simple fact is that every city in the country has section 8 (research it) some know how to manage it. Tell me, this if Middletown just cut section 8 from 9000  to 3000 + you mention. Where do you think those people will go? Do need more homeless down on central? Yes section 8 in Middletown is out of control ! No one can deny that, there is no quick fix like so many of you want. Fix it tomorrow city council thats all people seem to say.

Oh by the way where were you for tonights city council meeting? I did see Vet, Gary lee Barge, myself, John Soppanish and Randy from MiddletownUSA. But no you hmm, I guess it is just easier to blog than to show up in real life.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 9:34pm

wasteful I make a public apology for what I said in my now deleted post. I apologize.

You are entitled to your opinion and I mine. What you said struck a nerve and I went off half cocked.

My apologies sir.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 9:29am
Iliveheretoo I have not changed my stance.  Do I want  a Public Housing Structure next to my home.....Nope.   Do I think Section 8 should be cut to a reasonable level yup.  I have no issue with having a reasonable amount of section 8 in Middletown.  The current amount that we have is detrimental to the whole city.

Do I think a Neighborhood such as Highview has a right to take steps to preserve what they have, yes they do.  Would I trust the City to do what is best for that neighborhood at the old Hospital site....No I wouldn't and no I do not live in Highview.

So as you can see I haven't change my stance on anything.   I believe the Middle and Upper Middle Class have just as much right to determine how their neighborhood is preserved as you all believe that Public Housing and Section 8 and the poor have the right to do and live where they want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic