Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, May 15, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Report from September 8, 2009 City Council Meeting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Report from September 8, 2009 City Council Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Report from September 8, 2009 City Council Meeting
    Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 8:40pm
I just got home from the city council meeting at Highview. I was disappointed that more people from the site didn't show up. I did speak with Vet there. Tonights meeting was ...interesting to say the least. I will be posting the video I took tomorrow morning. I also spoke with Marconi and Adkins. Both said they will  answer a few questions that a forum member had. I am gonna send those questions tomorow. I already have them ready so please dont ask me to ask any more just yet. Let me get these answered first. Wink 
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 9:59pm
Randy many of us are still working at 5:30 and can't get there that early.  Also I didn't see to much that was anything of an earth shattering nature discussed at the Council Meeting. 

I found the second meeting of more interest, except they kept rushing the person giving the presentation, some of which were of interest at least to me.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 10:17pm
Pac, I agree that the second meeting was the better of the two. I also agree that they are rushed to speak and to comment. I didnt care for that. What I found of interest was Mr. Marconi admitting that council has let section 8 get out of hand and it has lead us to where we are now are. I like the fact that he said that. I also belive that him having the meeting with citizens next month is a good thing and I believe he said it came from talking with some one about the Java Johnny's of old. I know that conversation took place here.

Pac I want citizens to be able to come here and get answers, I am working my but off to bring people like marconi to the site to answer questions for those people like you that cant make it to a meeting. Vet and myself spoke about you tonight and we wished you could have joined us.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:43pm
I read that all is miraculously well in Middletown now?  This good news means we can sleep well tonight?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2009 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Rail Fan Rail Fan wrote:

I read that all is miraculously well in Middletown now?  This good news means we can sleep well tonight?
why didnt you send me those questions ?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 1:11am
Yeah Rail that is why I am up at 1:11 am posting on MiddletownUSA.......LOL
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:06am
I hope that all is well with you and yours.  When a couple of days pass without reading your posts I feel that I've missed some very good insight into the sorry state of affairs in our city.  Be well Pac.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:10am

HUD Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program
FY 2009 Annual Action Plan - Substantial Amendment

Questions for you Doug:

1)  Did you place one or more Legal Notices in a local newspaper?  If so, which paper(s) and what were the publication dates?
2)  Did you place copies of the Substantial Amendment document for public review at the Library, Senior Citizens Center, etc?  If so, name the locations and what were the dates that you did so?
3)  Last Tuesday night at the City Council meeting the City Manager stated that the 30-day review period was almost over.  When did the review period start and how were citizens notified of this?
4)  Do you have a line item budget for the FY 2009 Substantial Amendment?  If so, how does it differ from the original Annual Action Plan that was submitted to HUD last March 15th?  Please provide specific details.
5)  Several citizens noted that a copy of the FY 2009 Substantial Amendment was not posted on the City of Middletown - Community Revitalization Department website until the day before last Tuesday's meeting of the City Council.  At that time it was included only in the City Council workbook.  Please explain?
6)  Since you and others championed the demise of the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee, how do you propose to provide transparency in your operations and timely plus relevant information to Middletown residents?

Thank you.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:13am
HUD - CDBG & NEIGHBORHOOD STABILIZATION PROGRAMS
RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY DEMOLITION & PURCHASE-REHAB-RESELL PROGRAMS

Doug -

Fairly recently John Soppanish (Ward 2 City Council candidate) requested a list of residential properties to be demolished.  Kyle Fuchs of your staff provided him with a list of 12 structures.  However, at last Tuesday's meeting of the City Council you stated that 17 houses had been demolished this year and that 18-20 more are scheduled.

This year the City of Middletown received an increase in HUD Community Development Block Grant funds.  Also, the city received over $180,000 more in CDBG stimulus money.  Furthermore, the city received $2.144 in NSP-Round 1 dollars that calls for 50+ additional property demolitions.

Since the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee is not around to obtain pertinent information for the general public, I present the following questions to you:

1) what are the addresses of the 17 houses already demolished?
2) what are the addresses of the 18-20 houses to be demolished?
3) regarding questions 1 and 2, how many of these houses are located in Ward 2?
4) have you used NSP funds this year to acquire homes to be rehabilitated and then re-sold?
5) regarding question 4, will you please provide a listing of these foreclosed homes plus acquisition and projected rehabilitation costs?

Thank you.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:15am

HUD - HOME Program
Down Payment & Closing Cost Assistance Program

Doug -

At this time last year 48 first-time low-to moderate-income households received HUD-funded Down Payment & Closing Cost Assistance since 1/1/2008.  This year according to your presentation to the City Council last Tuesday, 20 first-time low-to moderate-income households  have been assisted since 1/1/2009.

Question: Since the City of Middletown received more HOME Program funding this year compared to 2008, and since $2.144 million in new HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program - Round 1 foreclosure prevention dollars have also been received, why is there such a precipitous drop in first-time home buyer assistance?  Is this reflective of your new priority to demolish substantially more residential properties and to undertake stringent housing code enforcement activities?  Please advise.
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 5:17am
Randy -

When the three preceding e-mails were sent yesterday, it was discovered that Merrell Wood, Viet Vet and you were omitted.  Upon this discovery these three e-mails were in turn forwarded to each of you.

Thanks.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 6:44am
Nice talking to you last night Randy. I too, thought that Council was just "going through the motions" on that 5:30PM meeting. Nothing was accomplished. The highlight was the Marconi remarks concerning Section 8. When asked why the Section 8 numbers steadily climbed to 1662 vouchers, he thought the previous councils were "asleep at the wheel" and they just kept approving the numbers without really checking out the impact the numbers had on the community. No one would commit to reducing the voucher number saying that it "may happen in their plans" but no promises from any of them. Marconi did say that now that we have the Section 8 program in place, that council was committed to make it the "best it could be" in efficiency, code enforcement and policing of violators. My opinion: I don't care if it's the nations flagship of Section 8 ventures, it ain't no good for the city in the quantity that we have. It MUST BE REDUCED at the very least, to the minimum allowable which is 700 or so, if I'm correct. He--, I'd like to see 95% of it gone.

The 6:30PM meeting with the Council, School Board and representatives from Miami U- Midd. was rather "programmed" and mundane. There were 11 topics, I believe, on the agenda for discussion and we could have done without half of them as to content and crucial community needs. The Swine Flu topic, the Step-Up mentor program, the Charter school discussion- all worthy of discussion at some point in time, but hardly top priorities in the community, especially since little time was dedicated to each topic. The last two topics discussed- Section 8 and City Council's "vision" for the future of Middletown were important topics and not enough time was dedicated to these. It got interesting when the School Board-(Andrew, Fiora and Tyus) told the Council how their Section 8 was affecting the school test/performance results in a negative way. Ms. Scott-Jones spoke on behalf of Council when she mentioned not stereotyping Section 8 parents as lazy and uncaring and Section 8 students as being poor performers as students. Andrew tried to clarify saying she was "generalizing". Fiora asked why 1662 vouchers and council danced around the answer for as long as they could. Interesting confrontation on perspectives from the Section 8 onslaught between the schools and council. Don't think the schools are any more pleased at the Section 8 saturation than some of us are here. Council's "list for the future" mentioned the same things we have been talking about here- streets, infrastructure, jobs, econ. devel., downtown revitalization, tearing more houses down- more greenspace ...... nothing new- nothing doable with this group. Just talk.

Cates, YOUR 4th District Senator was there. So was Tim Derrickson, YOUR State Rep. Didn't offer anything but they were there.

Oh and yeah- be expecting a school operating levy in May 2010 - so says Tyus. The schools also had a presentation on questions asked about building a new high school and rehabbing the old one for a middle school or building both new buildings. Amazing how they offer certain choices to fit how they want the outcome of their survey to be. Apparently didn't ask the respondants if they preferred no change at all as that was never mentioned in the survey results. Isn't that convenient! (and inaccurate)
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 7:55am

The highlight was the Marconi remarks concerning Section 8. When asked why the Section 8 numbers steadily climbed to 1662 vouchers, he thought the previous councils were "asleep at the wheel" and they just kept approving the numbers without really checking out the impact the numbers had on the community.
I'm sorry but I just don’t buy this excuse. Are you telling me that they didn’t understand where all this HUD money was coming from? That Mr. Price didn’t understand or see the declining number of students and needed to show student growth to justify the new schools and more of our tax dollar. That City Council and the School Board didn’t know that these huge numbers of HUD housing would cause a burden on the schools system?

No one would commit to reducing the voucher number saying that it "may happen in their plans" but no promises from any of them. Marconi did say that now that we have the Section 8 program in place, that council was committed to make it the "best it could be" in efficiency, code enforcement and policing of violators.
City Hall can’t reduce Section 8 because it has become our “Economic Development Plan.” It is the cash cow that is now feeding the payrolls of City Hall. As the HUD program has grown more and more jobs that were paid for from the General Fund are being paid for from HUD fund. Are you telling me that over the past 5 years that the council members never questioned where and how all these salaries were being paid?    

The last two topics discussed- Section 8 and City Council's "vision" for the future of Middletown were important topics and not enough time was dedicated to these. It got interesting when the School Board-(Andrew, Fiora and Tyus) told the Council how their Section 8 was affecting the school test/performance results in a negative way. Ms. Scott-Jones spoke on behalf of Council when she mentioned not stereotyping Section 8 parents as lazy and uncaring and Section 8 students as being poor performers as students. Andrew tried to clarify saying she was "generalizing". Fiora asked why 1662 vouchers and council danced around the answer for as long as they could. Interesting confrontation on perspectives from the Section 8 onslaught between the schools and council. Don't think the schools are any more pleased at the Section 8 saturation than some of us are here.
Well I believe that the school board is worried that we will never give them another dime of tax money. However I will agree with Ms Scott-Jones..these terrible test scores are not from just Section 8 students. We simply aren’t doing the job of teaching these students…Shame on us.

Council's "list for the future" mentioned the same things we have been talking about here- streets, infrastructure, jobs, econ. devel., downtown revitalization, tearing more houses down- more greenspace ...... nothing new- nothing doable with this group. Just talk.
Unless we stand up to City Hall millions more will be spent in their downtown area. They have already paved the way for this to happen. Remember the 54% slum rule.

Oh and yeah- be expecting a school operating levy in May 2010 - so says Tyus. The schools also had a presentation on questions asked about building a new high school and rehabbing the old one for a middle school or building both new buildings.
No scores…no money…it’s just that simple for me.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 8:13am
"The last two topics discussed- Section 8 and City Council's "vision" for the future of Middletown were important topics and not enough time was dedicated to these. It got interesting when the School Board-(Andrew, Fiora and Tyus) told the Council how their Section 8 was affecting the school test/performance results in a negative way. Ms. Scott-Jones spoke on behalf of Council when she mentioned not stereotyping Section 8 parents as lazy and uncaring and Section 8 students as being poor performers as students. Andrew tried to clarify saying she was "generalizing". Fiora asked why 1662 vouchers and council danced around the answer for as long as they could. Interesting confrontation on perspectives from the Section 8 onslaught between the schools and council. Don't think the schools are any more pleased at the Section 8 saturation than some of us are here.
Well I believe that the school board is worried that we will never give them another dime of tax money. However I will agree with Ms Scott-Jones..these terrible test scores are not from just Section 8 students. We simply aren’t doing the job of teaching these students…Shame on us."

Vivian it is a fact that having a school system that is predominantly low income students affects test scores and that it strains the schools systems resources to the max.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 8:25am
Vivian it is a fact that having a school system that is predominantly low income students affects test scores and that it strains the schools systems resources to the max.

Pacman
I agree..however are they telling us that Mr. Price didn't know this fact? Why didn't HE alert City Council to these facts over the years since they were asleep at the wheel? 
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 8:33am
No has mentioned that free and reduced lunches has risen from 40% to 70%. There is no doubt that we have teachers that do not cut it, but the vast majority do. Poverty in a city will not increase teaching scores. Again scores will not go up until parents care about their students education.

Before Rosedale was moved, it was the school districts crown jewel. It was rated Excellent. Since the move and redistricting scores have dropped. Do the math. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 8:54am
Vivian I believe Price had his own agenda.  The rise from 40-70% is a well known fact for years now, so Price was aware of it and chose to ignore it for the most part in Public.  JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 8:56am
State%20report%20card%20results%20for%20local%20schools
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 9:01am

Follow the money in the above posts and you will find the top performing schools.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 9:07am
"The schools also had a presentation on questions asked about building a new high school and rehabbing the old one for a middle school or building both new buildings. Amazing how they offer certain choices to fit how they want the outcome of their survey to be. Apparently didn't ask the respondents if they preferred no change at all as that was never mentioned in the survey results. Isn't that convenient! (and inaccurate)"

Vet you need new schools in Middletown.  You need a new High School which has all of it's amenities in one location not scattered around the city as it is currently and a new combined, Vail & Verity,  Middle School.

The part of the survey that I don't get is residents saying they want to just remodel the Old High School for the new Middle School, when they were told that it would cost approximately the same to remodel or to build a New Middle School.  Sorry but if I was the school admin I would have to vote for the New School Vs the Remodel option.  I am still scratching my head on that one. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:22am
Pac- I'm not buying the "new schools will help us produce better results" theme Price used to get his new elementary schools built...... I am totally against building ANY new schools in this district until they can prove that these new elementaries are producing positive results. I don't believe in putting more misspent taxpayer money after bad. It is illogical to vote yes to fund more new schools if we taxpayers haven't seen any promised positive results from the current new schools. Show me the performance improvement and I'll support your schools. No improvement on performance = no more funds to build more monuments to futility. They don't need to change the buildings as much as they need to change the methods of instruction and the curriculum. (Some discipline wouldn't hurt either) JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:29am
"new schools will help us produce better results" theme Price used to get his new elementary schools built."  Vet News Flash Price is gone.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:37am
I dont have a problem with a new school if it helps with bringing Middletown back to where it once was. I have always thought that two middle schools didn't make sense, I am all for combining the two. My question is where would the the school be built? 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 10:42am
Yeah, I realize Price is gone Pac but it has become the battle cry for the folks in town that think new schools will make a significant improvement on the academic performance. Hasn't yet. Just look at the proficiency scores for Middletown versus any other school district around here- pre new built schools and post new built schools. No difference in performance and no comparison with other districts.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2009 at 12:41pm
Vet I look at the school tests every year as I have a chikd in Middle School and that is why I do everything I can to keep him in Private School at this time.  The school environment you teach in makes a difference.  In the future technology is going to play a bigger and bigger role in teaching our children.  Having to continually retro fit antiquated buildings over and over again is a waste of money and our children.  My son will never see the new schools as he will most likely have graduated before Middletown comes into the current century, but future generations will and prospective residents will look at Vail and Verity and even the High School then go to Mason, Monroe, Lakota, West Chester........... 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic