FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WARD 2 HOMEOWNER PROBLEMS & CITY OF MIDDLETOWN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WARD 2 HOMEOWNER PROBLEMS & CITY OF MIDDLETOWN
    Posted: Sep 28 2009 at 11:03am
Subj: Fwd: John Soppanish - Ward 2 Homeowner Problems With City Of Middletown 
Date: 9/28/2009 10:57:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: jorgelle.lawson@hud.gov, richard.hendershot@hud.gov, trevia.thomas@hud.gov, Jennifer.D.Burns@hud.gov
CC: erichter@coxohio.com, kaldridge@coxohio.com, amarconi@cinci.rr.com, davids@cityofmiddletown.org, bymyflwrs@fuse.net, becker_william@sbcglobal.net
Forwarded Message:
Subj: Fwd: John Soppanish - Ward 2 Homeowner Problems With City Of Middletown 
Date: 9/28/2009 10:49:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: rlewis@xponex.com, glb@cinci.rr.com, billhobbs@cinci.rr.com, rowens11@cinci.rr.com, Robyn.L.Mcnally@pncmortgage.com, jerryglover@att.net, drbronston2001@yahoo.com, pastor_foster@yahoo.com, Trdar72349, dongardner@fuse.net
Forwarded Message:
Subj: John Soppanish - Ward 2 Homeowner Problems With City Of Middletown 
Date: 9/28/2009 10:45:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time
To: suzannhayes@sbcglobal.net, erichter@coxohio.com
CC: wleap@cinci.rr.com, Paul@PaulRenwick.com, mprest@erinet.com, kwills1116@cinci.rr.com, diggerviv@juno.com

< name=GENERATOR ="MS 8.00.6001.18812">
Bert Grimes - 908 Centennial:  recently, Doug Adkins and Judy Gilleland have heaped praises on their HUD-funded program to assist elderly and/or disabled homeowners in correcting housing code violations.  I was asked by Mr. Grimes to inspect the "work" performed on the front facade of his house.  I noted multiple instances where paint was applied to glass window edges, paint dripped on window shutters, etc.  This was no success story.  Mr. Grimes may be contacted at XXX-XXXX.

Shirley Williams - 500 block of 16th Avenue:  Mrs. Williams has owned her home for a number of years and is a senior, disabled person.  In early 2008 I met her and assigned Skip Batten to follow-through with her housing rehabilitation application for assistance.  To date, she has had her old furnace replaced.  However, the leaky roof and old, energy-inefficient windows were not replaced.  I too have observed these conditions.  She recently received a letter telling her that she would not have these problems corrected for funding reasons.  Her telephone number is XXX-XXXX.

Franklin Dean - Elm Street off of Centennial:  Mr. Dean purchased his home with the aid of HUD down payment and closing cost assistance.  A HUD prerequisite of receiving these HOME Program funds is the requirement that all houses be inspected and certified as meeting Housing Quality Standards (HQS).  Mr. Dean's son Johnathon called me last week and reported that City-funded rehabilitation work was not completed and/or improperly undertaken.  Johnathon may be reached at XXX-XXXX.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2009 at 11:34am
But, but- Doug Adkins and Judy Gilleland have praised the HUD program for housing violations. Surely, there's been a mistake!    Sounds like all is not well with our flag ship program. As Marty Brenneman says- how we lookin"? Not good. I like how the city has all of a sudden placed the entire city under an HOA.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2009 at 12:32pm
Nelson - let me pose this question to you and if you can give your best answer.

Lets say the city tells a home owner they have to make repairs,the repairs are substantial money wise. The home owner is elderly,fixed income and has bad credit. The home owner can not get a loan for the repairs,any loan of any type.

What action,if any,would the city take ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Sports Mom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sports Mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2009 at 2:52pm

Hermes,

I'm not Nelson but think I can help.  Property Maintenance violations are a criminal offense and if a homeowner (regardless of age, income, etc.) does not make repairs the end result is a court summons.  It is my understanding that this is the LAST resort but if the City cannot help someone they are under the same requirements as all other homeowners

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2009 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Sports Mom Sports Mom wrote:

Hermes,

I'm not Nelson but think I can help.  Property Maintenance violations are a criminal offense and if a homeowner (regardless of age, income, etc.) does not make repairs the end result is a court summons.  It is my understanding that this is the LAST resort but if the City cannot help someone they are under the same requirements as all other homeowners

It makes no sense to summon someone into court if they have no money. No money to repair home equals no money to pay court. While I agree that the ordinance is there for a reason and everyone that is capable should have to abide by it there is the exception that people on a fixed income with no means should have a source or resources to turn to. All this HUD money and everything else coming into town should be there for the poor. And the housing code should not be criminal.

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2009 at 4:13pm
Thanks to you Sports Mom.  I always wish you and yours well.

My problem, as noted before, is simply:

Why would the City of Middletown undertake such a broad sweeping housing code violation program with so many homeowners who are unemployed, so many vacant/foreclosed houses, etc.  And, to say how helpful that they are to the elderly and permanently disabled in correcting housing code violations is despicable.  How unfortunate that we all don't live in Mason, Lebanon and Hamilton like senior Community Revitalization staff??
retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 10:35am
Way too many folks are out of work or living on fixed incomes some of which may lose their retirements.  The economy has tanked no jobs here and these midless idiots on council want property brought up to code. I can't believe these money grubbing idiots on council.
I know most of these folks here in town would fix and paint their homes if they had a halfway decent job. It takes every penny to pay your utilities,buy groceries and pay taxes on your home not counting medical expense for us seniors. Then we have a bunch in Washington wanting to change our medicare and invoke this cap and trade energy bill which is gonna raise everyones utilities. What we have done is elect the biggest bunch of imbeciles locally and on a national level I have ever seen. I'm in my 60s so Ive seen a few winners . I can't sell my place to get out of Middletown no one wants to buy here so I'll probably die in this armpit of a town .We must take a stand and take our city back clean  house in Nov "Citizens of Middletown Arise Lets take our city back"
Rail Fan View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rail Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2009 at 11:00am
Retired Co -

I, too, am in my sixties and currently living off money saved for retirement.  On top of that, I have no medical insurance.  I choose not to apply for any type of public assistance as there are citizens in Middletown who are worse off than me!

It's reprehensible that senior City of Middletown staff unveiled its' heavy-handed Housing Code Enforcement blitzkrieg at such a precarious economic time as this.  Their know-it-all actions will likely cause even more financially distressed home owners to sell dwellings to profit-seeking Section 8 landlords?  I say Middletown cannot risk a further lowering of the percentage of owner-occupied homes!

NRS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic