FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AK Steel Fire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justwatching View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AK Steel Fire?
    Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 2:47pm
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/ak-steel-fire-contained-no-injuries-reported-327821.html

An inside source has told me that the fire did millions and millions worth of damage and the plant will likely be done for months, can anyone confirm or deny this?
THE WEAVER View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE WEAVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 3:56pm
Fire at AK Steel

Yes there was a fire at AK today at 10:30.  There were no injuries according to Chief Botts, as he reported to Ed Richter and Jessica Heffner.  The Fire was contained at 1:00.  You can go to Journal website and get more info.

The Weaver
justwatching View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 02 2009 at 4:02pm
I posted a link to the Journal, but an inside source tells me there is more going on than the press is getting...
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 11:07am
Originally posted by justwatching justwatching wrote:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/ak-steel-fire-contained-no-injuries-reported-327821.html

An inside source has told me that the fire did millions and millions worth of damage and the plant will likely be done for months, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Plant? The Plant is still running and will continue to do so. The Blast Furnace is  another Story. There is indeed Severe damage that will take some time to fully repair. It is said that they are hoping to have the Furnace back to minimal operation possibly today late.

It is the Nature of a Blast Furnace that you simply can not abruptly stop the process. The problems could be significantly compounded if they forced to let it sit and allow the internals to cool even more than they have already. They need to get heat back into it as soon as possible. 

Hot Metal Production will indeed be effected, but with the Market down Slabs could be purchased at decent cost to replace the Production. The Corp will feel it, but it will not dramatically effect the Company long term as Rumor has suggested.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 10:12pm
So, does anyone remember my supposition about an electric arc furnace or two in AK's future???

I opined how it made the whole SunCoke venture make more sense, and why AK may have other plans for the area "inside the fence" that others wanted AK to use for the new coke plant.

It would also certainly ameliorate the effects of any blast furnace outages, planned or otherwise, on the rest of the facility's operations.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 03 2009 at 11:06pm
Mike....I remember and agree with the feasability when SunCoke comes to pass.
As some may recall, Armco had an Electric Melt Shop in the past. I believe it was shut down in the late 60's or early 70's. Don't recall exactly. This would have been a very small operation compared to what is available today.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 04 2009 at 7:16am
Yep, and the co-generated electricity from SunCoke is what would make it all add up (plus, possibly, a thin slab caster or two). 
All if only the economy would turn and justify it, of course.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 05 2009 at 7:08am
BF back in operation @2230 last night, currently running at 50% capacity. It will be a while before all is back to normal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic