FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown is ready for some change

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown is ready for some change
    Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 7:12pm

Middletown is “ready for some change”
Staff voted to stop “keeping uncontrollable students in the building/classrooms,” start having full-time nurses, physiologists and social workers in all buildings, and continue special classes like fine arts. http://www.middletownjournal.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/middletownschoolnews/entries/2009/10/09/middletown_is_ready_for_some_c.html?cxtype=feedbot

Do you believe that we need full time nurses, physiologists and social workers in all buildings? Since the majority of these students are low income aren’t these services already available to them through other outside agencies?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 10:00am
And just where will the extra money come from to provide the salaries for these "extra nurses, psychologists (sp)?, and social workers for each building? That's alot of money for that many professional positions. Must be assuming that they will get another levy passed to afford this pipe dream. Won't happen in this recession nor with the low income levels in this town. (That's what you get Gilleland and Section 8 supporters when you go for the welfare town theme- a large contingent of people who can't support your lousy levies financially.) Making this a welfare slum is going to backfire on you. Already has as to image and econ. devel. Now, it is affecting the schools as to performance and will in future levy support.
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 10:11am
Don't forget to vote this November.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 11:39am
One nurse per Building OK.  Social Workers can be called in if the need arises.  Physiologists huh.....ah how about a paddle...that was a great persuader and attitude changer when I was in school.

Physiologists in every school is going over board as usual with trying to placate and do a parents job.

Get back too the basics and discipline, do not just recycle troublemakers from the classroom to the principals office and then back to the classroom day in and day out, without consquences, and that is what has been happening for a long time in Middletown.  Then hold parents responsible for their children.

Stop creating a new program for Every 50 kids who are basically causing a problem and stop letting them use the excuse I can't learn in a normal environment.  Unless they have a true disability, other than being lazy, yes they can.  Enough of the babying of these kids.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 2:11pm
Pacman and I agree on this one.

Unless it is Union Physiologists......just kidding!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2009 at 5:34pm
I furhter don't understand allowing kids to have a say in this matter:

"Students put their focus on things like doing away with uniforms and eliminating hall monitors and continuing advanced classes at the high school."

Doing away with Hall Monitors flies in the face of what parents want.....more discipline.  Half the problem these days is letting kids do as they like at school, believe me I know I live near  the High School and many students today have zero respect for their elders.  A dress code should be the norm and enforced.  this letting them be individuals and expressing themselves can happen once they are 18 and out of school.  I chuckle with the above quote as to what is on the kids mind, not education and discipline.

Public schools could take a lesson from the Private schools and yes I know they are totally different entities, but discipline at Private schools is required and a must and it is enforced period.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2009 at 11:14am
Looks like someone found a way to get that next school levy passed. Why do kids need all this crap ? A school nurse I can see but social workers and physiologist ? What the hell is a physiologist going to do for them ?!!! Whatever happened to just TEACHING kids ?

Me and Vet never had all that crap in school and look how we turned out.  Wacko LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2009 at 12:23pm
Confused, Someone explain exactly what a Physiologist will do for kids today.  For that matter what the hell is a physiologists?

Main Entry: phys·i·ol·o·gy
Pronunciation: \ˌfi-zē-ˈä-lə-jē\
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin physiologia natural science, from Greek, from physi- + -logia -logy
Date: 1615

1 : a branch of biology that deals with the functions and activities of life or of living matter (as organs, tissues, or cells) and of the physical and chemical phenomena involved — compare anatomy
2 : the organic processes and phenomena of an organism or any of its parts or of a particular bodily process

phys·i·ol·o·gist noun

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2009 at 2:26pm
They must mean a psychologist- head doctor here - to counsel all the kids with social problems. Not an internal doctor. 10/4?

Hey Hermes- good comment on how WE turned out!
taxed2death View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxed2death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 12:49pm
I agree bring back the paddle and use it! As well as make the parents be parents not this crap that the school will teach the kids to behave and have respect! I am almost scared to send my kids to the public schools in middletown. And I would have to say that most of the youth of today has little or no respect for adults or people of authority.Angry
I hope it gets better soon!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic