FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rumor About Old Hospital site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rumor About Old Hospital site
    Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 9:38pm
I just spoke with a friend of mine that works out at AK Steel and he said the rumor there is that Ak will be building some offices on the site or something to that affect. Has anyone else heard about this?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 6:38am
Randy:
I know nothing about that.

BUT, it has always been my understanding (although I can't recall how I ever reached it) that Armco donated that land for the expressed purposes of a public hopsital, and with the proviso that, should its operation as a public hopsital ever cease, the land would revert back to Armco (or it assignees.)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:06am
I can see a park on that land led by Jimmy "Where Am I" Armbruster. We shall call it "Bunny Hollow". In the center of the park, will be a monument similar to the Washington Monument with names of past Armco dignitaries and Armco steel technology accomplishments. The monument will stand out in the area as it's height will be emphasized by it's placement on the hill, visible for miles. It will eclipse the Solid Rock Churches' statue along I-75. It shall be a gathering place for the people who want their town back and it will be a place to excize the demons that we shall call- the city leaders. Soon the park will be inhabited by an immense overflow of Section 8, much to the chagrin of the Highland Historical Society mucky mucks. They will complain to the city council, but alas, the council will have changed complexion and no one will listen to the high rollers in town anymore.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:42am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

... the council will have changed complexion and no one will listen to the high rollers in town anymore.
I pray that this comes to pass, or Middletown is doomed!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:48am
I thought we could build a museum on the site and fill it history of all those historic houses
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:57am
Hmm...small museum, eh??
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 8:15am
Well you know those houses are 150 years old and deserve our respect. 
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 8:27am

Something a little more economically fulfilling, like residents that actually pay taxes would be nice.  Enough with the non revenue generating ideas.  Geeezzzz the city might just take you up on them.Thumbs%20Down

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 8:34am
Pacman, I agree 100% Whatever they put on that site needs to bring some revenue to the city. But with both know that will not be the case.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 5:34am
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Well you know those houses are 150 years old and deserve our respect. 
Randy,
I am OLD!!!  Do I deserve respect for THAT fact alone??? 

Would I deserve a MUSEUM simply for having reached a specific age???  (Actually, I WOULD!!!  It would be a medical miracle!!!)

Listen, I respect and study history as much (or possibly more) than the average person, but let's face facts!

The majority of the homes in this so-called "historic district" are no different from many, many other homes of the corresponding vintages nearby and in other areas of Middletown or a thousand other cities and town across America.   One of these homes, in the odd-shaped "pimple" on the northeastern corner of the district was not even on property that was INCORPORATED into the city untill much later than the rest and really has NO CONNECTION with the other properties.

The "history" that we must study and learn to avoid repeating is the history of HISTORIC DISTRICTS AND HISTORIC SOCIETIES IN MIDDLETOWN!!!

They have been a huge money "black hole" and have mainly served as a ploy of property owners to preserve or increase their property values using other people's money, and to impose their personal preferences on the public and all areas of Middletown under the guise of "historic preservation"!

At least that is my humble opinion!!!

If I am wrong, a lot of things seem illogical and need explaining.  Start with:  Where was the Historical Society and all of these history lovers, and the Commission on History and Landmarks during Vivian Moon's struggle at Pioneer Cemetery???   Not a PEEP (or a dollar) out af ANY of them!!!
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:05am
Mike Presta, Pacman, Viet Vet and Randy -

Be sure to stay tuned in the coming weeks as Miss Vivian Moon reveals a few more interesting tidbits about the saga of the Pioneer Cemetery and local historic preservation actions.  It will surely be interesting reading and may cause some needed anxiety on the part of a handful of notable Middletonians.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 7:12am
I like to see anxiety come into the lives of a handful of "notable" Middletonians. Heck, I'd like to see ALOT of anxiety come to ALL "notable" Middletonians. Would be nice to see them squirm a little based on the outcome of Vivian's lawsuit. Hopefully, justice will be served and they will be made to rectify their errant ways.   
warmandfuzzy View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmandfuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:25am
Amazing...........certainly a bitter group
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:50am
Originally posted by warmandfuzzy warmandfuzzy wrote:

Amazing...........certainly a bitter group
I agree, Fuzzy.  How selfish of these common folk to begrudge the well-to-do movers and shakers of our community a few hundred thousand dollars here and there of the taxpayers' money to remodel, repair, and upgrade their big old houses (especially after all they've done to for the little people)!! 

These ingrates have no shame!!! Angry

And certainly no one could blame them for wanting to establish some sort of buffer around their neighborhood.  Why, who knows who might try to move in around them, and what gaudy color they might try to paint the garage door if they do??? Shocked  Now the Grand Wazir of History and Landmarks will be able to put a stop to any of that!!!
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:00am

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mr. Duritsch,
    I have spent more hours that I care to think about working in the
Middletown Cemetery and I know when something has been moved. City workers did move three stones from their grave locations last week. This practice has been going on for years. DO NOT MOVE ANY STONES OR PARTS OF STONES FROM THEIR CURRENT LOCATION.
    The removal of the flowers and shrubs at the cemetery last week will not solve your problems. The only thing it has accomplished is make the cemetery less attractive next spring and to further anger the families of those buried there. You also destroyed the future income for the cemetery.
    I have sent numerous emails explaining the problems at the cemetery and how to solve them. So here it is one more time.

CARING & MOWING THE
MIDDLETOWN CEMETERY
1.  Each spring you must remove all stink trees, mulberry and honeysuckle
     from around the tombstones.
2.  Each spring you must spray all poison ivy around trees and tombstones.  
3.  Before first mow each spring workers need to walk the cemetery and
     remove all silk flowers and containers from grave sites.
4.  Before first mow workers need to walk the cemetery with a spud bar
     and place tombstones back on their foundations.                                  
5.  Remove all dead tree stumps from tombstones…I think I only have two
    more to remove.
6. West Fence Line – I had finished clearing all but the last back section.
    The big stumps in the back section need to be removed and the entire
    fence line needs to be sprayed on both sides. This fence line was not
    doubled sprayed last year and now the stink trees are growing in the
    fence again. When all these stumps and stink trees are removed and the
    area is sprayed about 12” on each side of the fence the mowers will be
    able keep this area cleared. 
7. Spray all other fence lines and remove any growth.
8.  The overgrown yews in the East Addition need to be removed and poison
      ivy sprayed.
9.   Fill all ground hog holes and seed.
10. The major problem with mowing the
Middletown Cemetery is the
      broken and downed tombstones that littered the cemetery. The vault
      needs to be restored so you can use it as a workshop to restore, clean, 

glue and clamp the small stones back together. Some of the larger
      stones need to be leveled glued and reset with a crane truck. I have
      reset several stones however it will take several years and a group of
      volunteers to get this job completed.

For the past five years I have worked countless hours digging in the dirt and swinging an ax clearing this cemetery, getting the cemetery ready for the first mow and making it easier for the mowers to do their job. I have also paid for all the materials to maintain the cemetery for the past five years only to have the City steal the Middletown Cemetery Fund this spring.
    When the Middletown Cemetery Fund was transferred from the Middletown Historical Society last year it was set up as the City acting as the fiscal agent for the Middletown Cemetery Committee by Ginger Smith. Every month I received a statement from Pam Banks showing the balance of the account. Then this spring I contacted the City and requested a $1,000 check to set up a 501-3C  for the Middletown Cemetery Committee so we could apply for grants to restore the vault only to be told that the City had removed money from our account. I talked with Russ Carlos and he stated that the check showed a donation from the Middletown Historical Society to the City. I have contacted the Middletown Historical Society three times and requested a copy of the check and have yet to received a copy. Neither Larry Mulligan, Sam Ashworth or Bob Wilson have stepped forward to correct this problem.
.....and the City just can't understand why I'm so upset.

Vivian
Moon
Middletown Cemetery Committee

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:03am
Dear Council Members
Just so you know that I'm not being petty or overly excited about all the plants and shrubs that were stolen from the cemetery by City workers I have listed as many as I can remember below. I still do not know how many of my other antique iris were destroyed but I will checking on them later this afternoon.
I want all the items listed below returned to me ASAP.
Vivian Moon
Middletown Cemetery Committee

ITEMS STOLEN FROM THE MIDDLETOWN CEMETERY
PAID FOR BY THE MIDDLETOWN CEMETERY COMMITTEE

Front 25’ Circle Bed
500 Iris x $5 each…………………………………..$2,500
Mixed Daffodils (purchased from Woodside)……….....$600

Denny Corner Bed
8 large Rose Peony Bushes x $25 each….………….…$200
3 Kim Lilac Bushes $25 each…………………..………$75
2 Golden Cypress Shrubs $25 each…………………….$50
20 mixed pink tulips…………………………………….$30
50 King Alfred Daffodils...……………………………...$40
6  Giant Purple Alliums x $12 each………….…………..$72

East Addition 25’ Circle
6 Rudy Red Peony Bushes x $25………………………$150
3 Kim Lilac Bushes x $25 each…………………………$75
4 Pink Spirea Bushes x $25 each……………………....$200
20 Hot Pink Tulip Bulbs………………………………...$30

Doty Rose Garden
10 Hosta Plants x $15 each…………………………..…$150
20 Pink Magic Lillies x $5 each……………………..…..$100

Two Beds At Front Of Vault
20 Hosta Plants x $15….……………………………….$300
10 Pink Coral Bells x $5……………………………….....$50
6 Bleeding Hearts x $10………………………………… $60
6 Astilbe x $10 each…………………………….………..$60

GRAND TOTAL………………………....….$4,792

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 8:32am

I have lived all over the USA and I have never never seen a City like this. All I have ever wanted was to save this cemetery and make it a beautiful place for the families to visit. To save the true history of Middletown for those that will come after us.

And then last week in the mail I receive the "Middle Link" opened it up and found this heading "Middletown Teachers Explore Teaching American History". Really?....If they what to know about America History I would suggest they take a walk through the Middletown Cemetery. Well they will have a difficult time proving to me that Middletown really cares about American History.  
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 9:24am
Well, what about it Mulligan, Ashworth and Wilson? Where's the ladies' money for the cemetery? Get with it and do your job boys!

Vivian- does the city have the legal right to remove the headstones from a private grave? Isn't the gravesite private property purchased by the deceased or the family and if so, does the city have the right to alter a fixture on that property in the form of removal? Cutting and trimming maintenance should be the extent of the city involvement shouldn't it?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:09am
    Vet, the law states they are not allowed to remove any headstone unless it is to repair or reset it and they did neither. And this is also covered because it is a historic cemetery.
    I'm looking into the laws that cover the removal of the the plants that were paid for by donations. Mr. Duritsch needs to find the plants that were removed or all employees involved my be in a world of do-do.
Go to Woodside Cemetery and dig up one of their paants and see how fast you go to jail. Same laws apply to the removal of plants from the Middletown Cemetery.  It is against the law to deface or destroy any type of cemetery property.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

6 Bleeding Hearts x $10………………………………… $60
Hey!!! This can't
Never mind!!  I'll bite my tongue fingers rather than make a joke of this!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:21am

ORC 2909.05 Vandalism.

(A) No person shall knowingly cause serious physical harm to an occupied structure or any of its contents.

(B)(1) No person shall knowingly cause physical harm to property that is owned or possessed by another, when either of the following applies:

(a) The property is used by its owner or possessor in the owner’s or possessor’s profession, business, trade, or occupation, and the value of the property or the amount of physical harm involved is five hundred dollars or more;

(b) Regardless of the value of the property or the amount of damage done, the property or its equivalent is necessary in order for its owner or possessor to engage in the owner’s or possessor’s profession, business, trade, or occupation.

(2) No person shall knowingly cause serious physical harm to property that is owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental entity. A governmental entity includes, but is not limited to, the state or a political subdivision of the state, a school district, the board of trustees of a public library or public university, or any other body corporate and politic responsible for governmental activities only in geographical areas smaller than that of the state.

(C) No person, without privilege to do so, shall knowingly cause serious physical harm to any tomb, monument, gravestone, or other similar structure that is used as a memorial for the dead; to any fence, railing, curb, or other property that is used to protect, enclose, or ornament any cemetery; or to a cemetery.

(D) No person, without privilege to do so, shall knowingly cause physical harm to a place of burial by breaking and entering into a tomb, crypt, casket, or other structure that is used as a memorial for the dead or as an enclosure for the dead.

(E) Whoever violates this section is guilty of vandalism. Except as otherwise provided in this division, vandalism is a felony of the fifth degree that is punishable by a fine of up to two thousand five hundred dollars in addition to the penalties specified for a felony of the fifth degree in sections 2929.11 to 2929.18 of the Revised Code. If the value of the property or the amount of physical harm involved is five thousand dollars or more but less than one hundred thousand dollars, vandalism is a felony of the fourth degree. If the value of the property or the amount of physical harm involved is one hundred thousand dollars or more, vandalism is a felony of the third degree.

(F) For purposes of this section:

(1) “Cemetery” means any place of burial and includes burial sites that contain American Indian burial objects placed with or containing American Indian human remains.

(2) “Serious physical harm” means physical harm to property that results in loss to the value of the property of five hundred dollars or more.

Effective Date: 09-30-1998

ORC 2927.11 Desecration.

(A) No person, without privilege to do so, shall purposely deface, damage, pollute, or otherwise physically mistreat any of the following:

(1) The flag of the United States or of this state;

(2) Any public monument;

(3) Any historical or commemorative marker, or any structure, Indian mound or earthwork, cemetery, thing, or site of great historical or archaeological interest;

(4) A place of worship, its furnishings, or religious artifacts or sacred texts within the place of worship or within the grounds upon which the place of worship is located;

(5) A work of art or museum piece;

(6) Any other object of reverence or sacred devotion.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of desecration. A violation of division (A)(1), (2), (3), (5), or (6) of this section is a misdemeanor of the second degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division, a violation of division (A)(4) of this section is a felony of the fifth degree that is punishable by a fine of up to two thousand five hundred dollars in addition to the penalties specified for a felony of the fifth degree in sections 2929.13 to 2929.18 of the Revised Code. If the value of the property or the amount of physical harm involved in a violation of division (A)(4) of this section is five thousand dollars or more but less than one hundred thousand dollars, a violation of that division is a felony of the fourth degree. If the value of the property or the amount of physical harm involved in a violation of division (A)(4) of this section is one hundred thousand dollars or more, a violation of that division is a felony of the third degree.

(C) As used in this section, “cemetery” means any place of burial and includes burial sites that contain American Indian burial objects placed with or containing American Indian human remains.

Effective Date: 09-20-1999

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:26am
As badly as the city has treated Vivian I wonder what the city leaders reaction would have been if "Mort & Company" were in charge of the cemetery ?

Or maybe this is their goal ? I always have to ask "who benefits" when certain changes are made ? Who benefited when the hospital moved out of town ? Who benefited by the new historic district ? Who is benefiting by locating business on the east side ?

No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:40pm

Hermes - I have to add - Who benefited when they closed the Middletown Convention & Visitors Bureau office and made Ann Mort President and in charge of over $250,000 in taxes?  I know they don't return it in services to the hotels or in grants.  Look at the history of their yearly grant amounts.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic