FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping The Ward System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping The Ward System
    Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 8:37am
Someone questioned my stance on the Charter Commision recommendation to remove the ward system as being hypocritical. The night the Charter Commision was giving its recommendation I said the following:  

"When it came to the decision to reduce the number of council seats, it became quite clear the agenda was to get rid of the wards and get four at-large seats and a mayor. We didn't stand a chance.

Well, I didn't want to throw my vote away so I get in two points.

First, I got assurance from Les Landen that if the recommendation was adopted it couldn't go into effect for four years. That would give the city time to adjust to it if it happened.

Secondly, I got assurance from Les Landen that if the recommendation went to council and it was placed on the referendum that it would have a NO box so the citizens could vote it down.

With those two qualifiers I voted for it because it was the best and only strategy to get it defeated.

The ward council members are not going to vote for it to go on the ballot. They would be giving up their jobs and they would be telling their constituents, "You don’t need special representation and you don’t need us.". They're not going to do that. You Ward council members also make up a majority of council.

Also, in the event that council did approve putting it on the ballot my belief is that the citizens would overwhelmingly vote it down.

So, I wanted the recommendation to go to council in its weakest form.

What would happen if it did succeed would be that we would end up with four wealthy council people from the third ward and there goes real representation of all of our citizens."

I am absolutely opposed to eliminating the ward system at this time. We don't have the confidence and trust of the City Council to reduce and change the system now. If we did I would be in favor of eliminating the two at-large seats and have the four ward seats and one Mayor seat, in the interest of having a more streamlined and efficent government with proper representation.
      Paul Nagy
Murdock View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 9:43pm
What has the Ward system done for the City of Middletown?????
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE THE WARD SYSTEM OUT.......BRING BACK GOOD, COMMON SENSE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:58am
Ms./Mr. Murdock:
With all due respect, some say that the facts all point towards the contrary, sir/ma'am!

Please re-watch Mr. Armbruster's and Mr. Marconi's remarks in the two recent forums as they point out ALL THE GOOD that they believe has been accomplished during their watch!!  This all happened with SEVEN council members including FOUR WARD council members!!!

What is difficult to understand is how Mr. Armbruster and Mr. Marconi can be AGAINST the WARD SYSTEM which they currently claim has worked so well for Middletown and is the ONLY thing that allowed them to be elected in the first place!!

Perhaps you could shed some light on that???
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:09am
Then again, Four at-large members only would make council "easier to control" and that IS one of the stated goals of MOVING MIDDLETOWN FOWARD, according to the flyers found in the CITY literature rack in the CITY MANAGER's office!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Murdock Murdock wrote:

What has the Ward system done for the City of Middletown?????
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE THE WARD SYSTEM OUT.......BRING BACK GOOD, COMMON SENSE GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!

Yea, let the Middletown Elite (self appointed) use their superior Intelligence to run the City the RIGHT way("RIGHT way" means the way that increases their Personal wealth!).
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 7:34am
Without yelling and screaming. Big%20smile

What has the Ward system done for the City of Middletown?

Please spare us the, "gives everyone representation" as this is very debatable as to its benefit.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 9:51am
Wasteful:
Just watch either of the candidate forum replays, paying close attention to Mr, Arbruster and Mr. Marconi!!!

They both claim a myriad of accomplishments by council during their terms under the Ward system, and that they've made everything in Middletown just swell as ward councilmen, and "no one can say they haven't!"  [Note:  I may not have gotten this quote from Armbruster quite right, but it was something very close to that.]

As I mentioned above, the way they seem to see the ward system has succeeded these last four years, I simply cannot understand why they are now against it!

PS:  Did I speak softly enough for you???
Tongue LOL
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 10:45am
Yes Mike but you strained my aging eyes......LOL

Yes they say that Mike, but we all know that Middletown is worse off now then we were just 5 years ago.  Many on here rant about the Good Ole Boys running the show and we have the ward system and if we don't have the ward system the same people say the Good Ole Boys are gonna run the system.  The question is what is going to change?

Marconi by his own words thinks, nothing is wrong in Middletown, that can't be fixed by what is right with Middletown.Confused  Now most of us know that is crap.

I personally don't see where having wards has benefited the city in the last 10+ years.
Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:27am
Wasteful, I have to assume you were't at the Charter Committee meetings. The issue was brought up as a discussion of reducing the size of council and then the usual suspects, (Marconi's choices for the committee) wanted to know what the "Ward System" had done for them. It then quickly disgressed into a eliminate the ward system promotion. Landon then realized the question could not be placed on the ballot as two seperate issues. Conclusion...
If you suppot one change you also are voting yes for for the other. Very clever.

As to the 4-Ward candidates supporting an "At Large" system, it's an easy call because they will be finished with their second term when it goes into effect. 

As to  the 4-Ward system "creates conflect" That's bull. I have personally spoken with the majority of the current council and they claim that's not an issue at all, and would be happy to say it in public.

As to the issue that better government will  come with 4 wisemen from atop the hill, The question is not about running the place better, it's about running the place better and at the same time representating all the people all the time.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:02pm
Perhaps it really doesn't matter whether we have a ward system or an "at-large system- if the quality and intentions of the councilperson in each ward is to truely represent the people, they will make it a priority to "mingle" with the people in the form of ward meetings, perhaps a ward newsletter, a ward questionaire, and any other means to communicate with the people to let them know that they care, are there for them to help solve their problems and as an internal voice within the city system of operation. I believe the effort made by a councilperson toward representing the people who live in their area, trumps any ward/at-large system that the councilperson is forced to work within. All this " good/bad representation" in a ward system or at-large is mute if the council people are doing their job correctly, isn't it? Isn't this ward/at-large conflict about finding the best way to represent the people? So the focus is really about the performance of the current/past council members. If we had good people on council, perhaps we may never have had this issue. 10/4?
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 3:02am
Merrell States:

"As to  the 4-Ward system "creates conflect" That's bull. I have personally spoken with the majority of the current council and they claim that's not an issue at all, and would be happy to say it in public."

From the Middletown Journal 10-16-09:

"I have seen firsthand how the ward system has divided the council and been very divisive on a number of issues, when we should have been concentrating on the best action for the entire city.

The ward system has polarized and introduced politics into issues which should be considered (for) what is the best action for all the citizens of the city."

Tony Marconi,
 Middletown City Council
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 7:43am
Wasteful.  I'm glad to see you agree with the majority of my opinions. Guess I missed Tony.
What's your name again?
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 8:06am
Merrell whether I agree or not is not the point.  There are always two sides to every issue.  My point is that I don't see where the Ward System has been beneficial to the city overall over the last 10-15 years.  I would say the City has decline in the last 5 years or so.  So maybe it is time for a change.  Who am I a concerned citizen of Middletown.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 8:58am

The decline of Middletown in recent years has nothing to do with the Ward System however it has everything to do with the employment of Mr. Marty Kohler 

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 9:05am
Vivian....Oh, how right you are!!!  Ouch
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 9:16am
Vivian it takes two to tango and Council has gone right along with the program as outlined by Kohler and others. 
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 9:53am
In reply to the question, "What has the Ward system done for the city of Middletown".

1. It has given focus to areas that have been neglected far too long.
2. It has given us new, effective voices and leaders such as Sonny Hill, Anita Scott Jones and a host of others in behalf of low to moderate income citizens.
3. It has been an obvious check and balance against abuse of funding going to special interests projects.
4. It is typical of governments that have worked successfully in our nation such as states,counties,municipalities, townships and wards.
5. It helps to get more citizens involved in city matters.
6. It prevents special interest groups from always having control of power and money.
7. It assists in keeping us aware of problems in areas that might otherwise be overlooked
    cf. The canal
8. It helps to unite the city within and beyond the ward.
9. It has given us more representation. If its good enough for the ward its good enough for the city. If its good enough for the city its good enough for the ward.
10. It has worked in cities everywhere and it has worked in Middletown for twenty years.

The current attempt to remove the wards is to prevent all of these good things from continuing so that less people can have more power. Keep the ward system!
Paul Nagy

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:24am
Paul, I just finished a column that reflects pretty much of what you just wrote. Have you been reading my mind or mine yours? I completely agree and I hope you will loudly promote it throughout the remaining days of your campaign.

Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 10:29am
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2009 at 11:42am

The ward system has not failed. Their are too many variables to blame it alone. The ward system is the most effective way to represent all the citizens all the time. Our council representatives use that imput to help make the most informed decisions on issues important to us all.

Council serves from the bottom up while the the Manager serves from to top down. The manager runs the city and is responsible to bring before council her's and staff's recommendation  for any appropriate legislative action to be takenn.  Council hired the manager and may remove her at any time if their not happy with her performance. The manager represents the opinion of the city and council members should represent the opinion of the citizens they serve.

The ward system does not create any conflect not found in the normal process of give and take represented in a democratic system. The only way that a responsible and open debate is not part of the normal democratic process is when as system of all at-large representatives have already agreed on a specific issue over lunch or at their neighborhood block party.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic