FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Dillman

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
justwatching View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Dillman
    Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 11:53am
I have to wonder why any store, especially Save-A-Lot, would post no gun signs. The concept of these signs absolutely baffles me. It's as if you think that a gunman is going to load his guns, make it his mission to kill the people in your store and then.... stop when he sees that sign. If anything, you have told the gunman, "Hey, come on in here, none of these good law abiding citizen's have guns, they're easy targets."

The only people who obey the no guns signs are the ones that could potentially save your life if a gunman were to enter your store. As a firm believer in concealed carry, I am always armed and I can guarantee you that you would be grateful if I were in your store one day when someone came in on a mission to kill your patrons and staff.

So my question Dillman is... why the signs? Who do you think you are protecting?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:01pm
Could not agree with you more. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:08pm
Perhaps it is because of the new conceal/carry law. Perhaps Mr. Dillman doesn't want weapons brought into his store regardless of conceal/carry. He's probably telling the customers to leave their guns at home before entering his stores even though you have a right to legally carry them around. Just speculating.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 12:20pm
Well obviously... but my point is, why? Why wouldn't you want an armed citizen in your store? What harm is it doing? If they are there to cause trouble, then that sign isn't going to stop them.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:28pm
A wild guess here would be for insurance reasons. I would imagine that any and all business have a clause in their policy concerning weapons in states that have a conceal carry law.

But I agree with you justwatching,I'd feel better knowing someone other than the "shooter" had a gun also.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:38pm
I don't believe the insurance clause is why, I have been involved in purchasing business insurance many times and never once has the subject of customers having firearms ever come up. Now, employees having firearms is another thing, and that usually does come up.

It's interesting actually, if you work for a place that doesn't allow you to carry a firearm, and you are wounded on the job by an assailant, your employer is responsible for not allowing you to protect yourself.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:03pm
I believe it is because it is the law for any establishment selling beer and wine.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:12pm

Yea and Justwatching, if you decide to become the Wyatt Earp and pull your gun on a robber and shoot an Old Lady by mistake, the Business Owner, me, gets sued.  New question for Employment App. Do you carry a gun and think you are Wyatt Earp or Annie Oakley.LOL

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:24pm
John, you're incorrect about the selling of beer and wine. The law only states you can carry an establishments DISPENSING beer or wine, like a bar or restaurant. It is perfectly legal to carry in grocery stores, gas stations, etc.

Pacman, I assume you mean if I were an employee and shot an innocent bystander? It may be true that you would get sued, but it is unlikely they would win. An employer is unlikely to be held responsible for the inept actions of an employee asking on his own will. Now if you, the business owner, ordered me to shoot the robber and I missed... well, that's another story.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:33pm
Here is a good one for you...have you ever seen a sign stipulate WHO can or can not walk in carrying a weapon ? By that I mean police. I've never seen a sign that says "no weapons by citizens only police allowed". Maybe there are some somewhere.

Next time you see a cop going in somewhere that has a sign tell him he can't go in there with his weapon and to leave it in the car. Then tell him you don't support double standards in America.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:40pm
It doesn't matter if the bystander wins or not.  Just being sued can be costly enough to a small business owner.  Just the fact you come up with all of these scenarios would stop me from allowing employees to be gun totters.

What the heck brought this up anyways.  Maybe Blackwater is still hiring for you guys.

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:44pm
Actually signs do exclude law offers, etc. by referencing the "Ohio Revised Code" and saying something like "Unless other authorized by law". Here is an example sign:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/Model-Concealed-Carry-Sign.aspx
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:52pm
Wow, here I'd thought you were a logical man Pacman. Guess I was wrong. Any employer who doesn't allowed a licensed concealed carry permit holder to carry a firearm definitely does not have the best interests of his customers or employees in mind.

There is simply no logical reason not to allow it, sorry, the fear that one of them would accidentally "miss" a robber and hit a bystander is absurd. If it got to the point where the employee felt threatened enough that he needed to pull his firearm, he had better be close enough to shoot the robber. If he isn't close enough, then his life probably wasn't in danger and he shouldn't be pulling his gun anyways.

All that aside, you probably shouldn't hire someone who you wouldn't trust to make a life or death decision anyways.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

Oh, this was brought up because I drove by Save-A-Lot last night and saw their no gun sign. I try to not patronize businesses with these signs as they are obviously closed mind nut robs, but I like Dillman, so I wanted to hear his logical reason for having the sign up.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by justwatching justwatching wrote:

Actually signs do exclude law offers, etc. by referencing the "Ohio Revised Code" and saying something like "Unless other authorized by law". Here is an example sign:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/files/Publications/Publications-for-Law-Enforcement/Concealed-Carry-Publications/Model-Concealed-Carry-Sign.aspx

Your right I have seen the code posted at the bottom of some signs,I stand corrected.

You can tell I don't get out much. LOL
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:00pm
Or maybe I get out too much.... :-D
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:35pm
Justwatching, This the 21st century. Why would you need to carry a gun to a grocery store or any other establishment? I understand having one at home for protection. Geez, let me know where and when you go shopping and I will stay homeCensored
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:36pm
JustWatching the only person in my business that has a gun is METhumbs%20Up
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:44pm
Smartman, you're not a smart man. It's not that I, or anyone else who carries, feels we need a gun at the local grocery store. It's the fact that you never know when you'll need it. Do you think the thousands of people who die in senseless killings every year went out thinking, "I bet someone is going to come into McDonalds while I'm there and shoot me." No, they didn't. You never think you'll need a gun, and you pray you never have to use it, but the fact of the matter is shootings are a daily occurrence in the country and they don't usually happen at homes or when people are prepared for them. They happen in the local grocery store parking lot, or at the dinner, or church, or one of any number of places we visit on a daily basis. This is where shootings. I shop at nearly every grocery store in town, usually stopping 2-3 times throughout the week to pick up various items, and you'll be damned glad I'm next to you when the store manager's ex-boyfriend comes in to blow her head off and you sh*t you pants while I protect you, myself, and anyone else lucky enough to be behind me.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506820,00.html
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jul/27/knoxville-church-shooting-leaves-several-injured/
http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/Police/news/printarticle.asp?ID=682
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/mall.shooting.tinley.2.644307.html
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:51pm
Justwatching, I am a smartman. I don't carry a gun and would not with the anticipation of ever using it! And NO I would not like being next to you if trouble was around. Based on your comments you are the hot head that would try to provoke someone into a fight. You need a reality check! ....ReallyAngry
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 3:57pm
"Based on your comments you are the hot head that would try to provoke someone into a fight"?? How on earth do you get that? I have actually never even been in a scuffle of any sorts shy of when I was 14 and got into a fight with a thief at school. In fact, I rarely even argue with anyone because it usually comes down them being so narrow and closed minded, like you, that arguing is futile and redundant. I just pray, for your sake and your family's sake, that you are never the victim of violent crime outside of your home, because apparently this is the only place you think bad things happen.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:03pm
JustWatching- Would you please find me some articles from this past week that a shooting happened every day?  I'm not opposed to the concealed carry, but allowing everyone to carry a guy isn't going to stop people from robbing stores/banks, etc.  Did it stop Jesse/Frank James? While you are finding articles about the daily shooting, please tell me how many people had their own weapon taken away from them and killed with it.  Some of the people that have been through a concealed weapons class might be a damn good shot, really good a shooting a target.  Shooting a person is completely different.  If they were going to kill or rob you the shooter still has to leave with those consequences of killing someone. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:12pm
It's not about stopping the robbers, it's about protecting yourself and more importantly, in my opinion, your family. And it's not about a shooting happening every day, even though they do, it's about being prepared for that one time that it happens and you are there.

I agree, killing someone would be a hard thing to do, but in protecting my family or myself, I wouldn't bat an eye.

Here are three shooting this week that I found in about 30 seconds, not including the 1000 I found of people shot at their home or on the street. These were shootings at businesses.
Today: http://www.kyw1060.com/Camden-Co--Police-Investigate-Shooting-of-Bakery-O/5448132
Yesterday: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D9BB04JO2.html
This weekend: http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_13544367
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:18pm
I'm narrow minded? At least I would not carry a gun into a public establishment, and I would not condem a business owner because he or she posted a sign. As a customer in a store I would be very uncomfortable if I new the person next to me was packing a firearm. My hat is off to Mr Dillman and all the other business folks that post that sign!

Look Wyatt, if you want to carry a gun, fine. Just leave it in the car when you go shopping!
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:22pm
It is strictly a Liability thing. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 4:23pm
See... that's narrow minded, "at least I would not carry a gun into a public establishment"? What? That makes me narrow minded? Your logic is full of fallacies and I am done debating with you. Good day, and if I ever see you in need of rescuing, I'll be sure to save you even though to don't want me to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic