FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Misdirected Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Misdirected Questions
    Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 11:05am
I had a conversation with Mr. Adkins this morning and he brought something to my attention, something I should have known and I am sure most of you already know.

I will bring it up anyway. We have all asked a lot of questions of Mr. Adkins when it comes to section 8 and why we have so many vouchers, what is HE doing to bring that number down? Do you feel that these questions are better suited for council members? They make the polices and he does what they ask, is that not true? I also did not realize that Mr. Adkins has only been at his current job  for four months so most of these problems were already here. I was also informed that the job in Mason has not started interviewing yet, so nothing about him leaving in November is true.

I guess my question is: do we, myself included, need to start posing some tougher questions to current council members and even some past council members ?
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 11:25am
Ah Randy do you think Council doesn't get a clue that a significant number of the Citizens want Section 8 reduced and Poverty brought into Check.  I mean you would have had to been under a rock for the last 12-18 months to not understand that.  I have talked to many people out and about in Middletown and many read this site and never post and many are aware of the Section 8 problem and want it reduced.  You see what kind of response Citizens Comments gets from the Council.......zilch.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 11:51am
wasteful- your last line in your post says it all. When I talk to Mr. Marconi in private, he will conduct a two way dialogue and is not shy about talking about issues. Now, when I see Mr. Marconi in the Council meetings and see his lack of response in the Citizen Comments portion, I have to wonder. Why are you so talkative in private, but don't respond to citizens in public? (Same goes for the rest of Council- it is not only Mr. Marconi who fails to respond) Randy, I think that if I walked to that podium in Council chambers and asked them, point blank, why do you want so much Section 8 in this town? Do you realize what you are doing to this town by having so much Section 8 saturation and what are you going to do about reducing it to the proper amount, I would get the patented blank stares/the "I'm not really interested in what you have to say"/ and the "I'm afraid to start any dialogue with a citizen because I might divulge some information that the city manager may frown on" type of looks. I think Council is somewhat intimidated by Gilleland for some reason. Odd, since they can hire and fire her and others, don't you think? (they really need to by the way)

Randy- case in point- I asked Adkins, point blank (review the tape on Marconi's 3rd Ward Forum last Wednesday) why the city wants so much Section 8 (advantages of Section 8) and what is the city doing to reduce Section 8? After a 5 minute dissertation on the OPERATION of the Section 8 program (which I didn't ask for) he still did not make a decent attempt to answer my questions. This is what we citizens will get if we ask them, to their face, questions that require a committed answer. They give us the smooth double talk that they are probably directed to give by the city manager, I presume. You just can't talk to them- they are oblivious to direct communication. They DON'T CARE what the citizens think of their little welfare slumlord program and they DON'T CARE what they're doing to this town. That's why they all must go away along with all of their low income, welfare, slum creating programs. There is no way these programs help this town, other than receiving fed funds for operating revenue in lieu of creating revenue from decent jobs. They are not smart enough to approach revenue gathering like most towns do or are too lazy to do it the right way.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 12:12pm
I agree with both of you about section 8 and I have never spoken other wise, I too meet and talk to many people in this town and they all feel the same we have way too much and something needs to change. I just think we are singling out the wrong person. I have no vested interest or ties to anyone at city hall nor does MiddletownUSA.com NONE ! I want answers the same as you do.

We need to ask the right people the right questions. My understanding is that Mr. Adkins does not control how much section 8 we have or how much we should or will be cutting out of the city (if any), those decisions come from council members the are the ones voting on these issues. The tell Mr. Adkins want "they" want done. I really think we need to talk with the right people.

And Vet I agree with you on this   "Randy, I think that if I walked to that podium in Council chambers and asked them, point blank, why do you want so much Section 8 in this town? Do you realize what you are doing to this town by having so much Section 8 saturation and what are you going to do about reducing it to the proper amount, I would get the patented blank stares/the "I'm not really interested in what you have to say"/ and the "I'm afraid to start any dialogue with a citizen because I might divulge some information that the city manager may frown on" type of looks."

Were I disagree is that you should walk to that podium and look them straight in the face and tell them what you think or want, who care's if they dont answer. I would love to everyone in town do just that, make citizens comments take 4 hours we need more people to voice their opinions. Maybe its time for a little protest or demonstration before this November 3rd. If citizens feel this way the need to stand up and let it be heard. JMO

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 12:22pm
Let's have a good voter turnout this November.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 12:30pm
Mr. Adkins is not responsible for the Section 8 problem.  The explosion of this program occured between 2001-2005 thanks to City staff and oblivious City Council members.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 12:55pm
OK- given that the ramping up of Section 8's culprits are PAST city managers,PAST council members and PAST city department heads, why do CURRENT city department heads, the CURRENT city manager and the CURRENT councilmembers want to retain/ramp this program up further, rather than to see that it is detrimental to the city in many ways and take the necessary steps to "let it die on the vine". That is what I would be insisting on doing, if I were a councilmember. I don't like my hometown being known as a welfare city. My question concerning the entire program would be, " what do we need to do to eliminate any more expansion of the program, eliminate any more voucher candidates from coming to the city, eliminate any more housing to fall into the Section 8 category, eliminate HUD from having any more participation in this town, eliminate the need for CONSOC, eliminate the need to spend $140,000 on inspection services alone, and eventually, after most (I would prefer all) of that goes away, to eliminate this new housing committee just started by council. This whole program is nothing but one more problem that this city doesn't need to deal with, plus the other residuals we have talked about in depth like image problems/ crime/saturated low income. (54%, right Mr. Adkins?) Should we all feel proud of that? Don't understand. Not logical.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:07pm
Nelson- Mr. Adkins may not be responsible for the current malaise of Section 8, but it's like Washington, when the Repubs leave office, the Dems have to come in and try and straighten up the mess left behind. (Same as the Dems leaving office and the Repubs having to come in and do the same- Pacman ) Mr. Adkins is in the "dunking booth" right now and the balls are being thrown his way. Eventually, he will pay the price by taking the plunge. He is in a position of responsibility and with that, one excepts the negative residuals of the people who came before he arrived including the criticism and blame for things that are not correct. It is the nature of taking charge of a situation that was neglected by people who actually drew a city paycheck for a pathetic effort. He has the target on his back because he is there now.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:10pm
Vet,
     You really do understand. Think about it. The landlords get money. The new housing authority gets money. HUD gives more money. CDBG's bring more money. It allows to apply for more grants (money). Its money, money, money. Then they charge people (money) for work done on their homes or they threaten to take the property(money). All of that allows for more bureaucracy (money). Its not because there are any public servants who want to serve taxpaying citizens. Its because of the desire to control, have power and money.
     See, you know why they do it.
      paul nagy
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:18pm
Once CONSOC was renewed as the Administrator of Section 8 in Middletown and it was decided that the City would not move to turn it's Section 8 program over to BMH, it was Ms Gilleland that basically stated that the Vouchers would be reduced to about 800.

This was to be accomplished by up to a 10% reduction each year and by attrition only.  This was quoted in the paper several times, if I remember correctly.

It was then determined that this would have to be accomplished in the Administrative plan which is being written by CONSOC and the City employees currently.  As we saw last night on TV, Adkins and CONSOC both stated that they had a few more details to iron out before they turned the plan over to Council for approval.

Now I would think that Adkins and Gilleland would have both have agreed to put into the plan some initiative to reduce the vouchers as stated above for Councils approval.  To me it was Adkins and Gilleland who should have put some type of measure into the plan for the reduction of vouchers and Councils perogative to either approve it, change it or nix it altogether.

Section 8 has been brought up many times.  Armbruster now says no reduction.  Marconi says they have already reduced to 1555+/-.   Then Marconi says they need permission from HUD to reduce vouchers.  Take your pick as to what is going on.  Gilleland stated that the Vouchers would be turned back into HUD as people dropped off the program up to 10% a year.  The MCSD even brought up the issue at the Combined meeting and they were basically ignored by Council and the City. 

Having the Best Section 8 program, per Marconi, does not deal with the issue of Poverty and the school system.  Poverty and the City.  Poverty and the Business community.  Poverty and the over taxed Services of the city.  Poverty and the neighborhoods.  It just gives you the Best Section 8 program in your own mind.

As we have seen in the past getting straight answers from the city is not always the simplest matter.  Just look at lasts nights meeting, there was much going on in the city that Council was not even aware of until presented last night and then it began to look like a circus once again.

Citizens want Section 8 reduced.  Citizens want the poverty reduced.  Citizens want a Council that listens to them and delivers answers to their concerns and a City Admin that pays attention to its Citizens concerns. 

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:33pm
Yep, you're right Paul. I understand that they need money to run the city. Just think they ought to earn it the old fashioned way- collect revenue through corporate and employee taxes instead of fed handout programs. Let's see- do I want to get my city money from a large contingent of corporations and people working or do I want to get it by accepting a welfare program handout from the government and dealing with the social, low income and image problems created by this program? No brainer to me! I also know that they procure their money by the method you just described. I also know that there are some massive egos in this little town. Since the 50's, there has been a small percentage of ego trip/good old boy groupies that have controlled the ship here. The egos stay in place; the good old boy club stays in place. Only the names change over time with the old ones dying off, being replaced with younger clones with the same traits and power lusts.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:55pm
If you watched the Marconi ward 3 forum,towards the end  Mr.Dillman asked very pointed
?s in this very direction, and when answered(mostly by Ms.G), he continued the line of ?ing the answers given. I have yet to catch a replay of that forum, and missed the meeting last night. I hear that a few citizens lit up the crew over the cemetary.

Seems the city may have crapped all over themselves when they removed the plantings at that cemetary and irritated the hard-working crew from Woodside. If city admin thinks that they can drum up support to go after Mr.Wehr, then city admin has GREATLY over-estimated their influence and power. They might have seriously tipped the scales on this issue now.

I have come to appreciate the detailed hard work of Mr.Adkins to put the Section 8/HUD/CDBG mess in order after years of abuse. I hope that he doesn't leave. By him coming here and answering real ?s legitimizes this forum and adds pressure to Council and Admin to do the same. We ARE legit citizens of this community asking legit and timely ?s. If he were to leave in the middle of this situation, I shudder to think of who might resume "control".

Council doesn't respond to this topic because they probably don't understand the entire process and don't want to say anything that would be proven misleading or incorrect.

Please vote NO on all ballot issues
AND vote out ALL INCUMBANTS, LOCALLY, COUNTY AND STATE-WIDE!
alldaywatching View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alldaywatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

I would love to everyone in town do just that, make citizens comments take 4 hours we need more people to voice their opinions. Maybe its time for a little protest or demonstration before this November 3rd. If citizens feel this way the need to stand up and let it be heard. JMO

Great idea I am in if we can get a enough people, is anyone else here willin to take part? It could get some national coverage and the rest of the country can see what we are dealing with in our town. I would be willing to organize if people are really interested.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 3:31pm
Bring open, honest government back to Middletown.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

Please vote NO on all ballot issues
AND vote out ALL INCUMBANTS, LOCALLY, COUNTY AND STATE-WIDE!

Don't forget Federal!
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:19am
I think Pacman is right on in his above remarks.  Is this indeed how the system should work?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic