FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who will win council?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who will win council?
    Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 3:32pm
I monitor this site regularly, however, an interest just sparked in me to engage in conversation. There is always plenty of substance to the conversations held on this forum, and if council would only listen or take into consideration whats being said this city would be in much better shape.....

Who's going to win this election? We better get some good people up there this time around!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 4:08pm
Picard (4th)
Laubach (3rd)
Soppanish (2nd)
Armbruster (1st)

That's my projection.  Barge and Nagy don't have mass appeal.  Armbruster is a known name. 

Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 4:39pm
At least we'll have three new people!!! Thumbs%20Up
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 5:20pm
Like it or not I believe these will be the winners:

Picard (4th)
Marconi (3rd)
Smith (2nd)
Armbruster (1st)
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 5:35pm
A more interesting question will be HOW MANY PEOPLE come out to vote and what percentage of eligible, registered voters cast ballots.  
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 5:49pm
Remember Marconi ran several times before successfully I believe before he was elected. I think he is vulnerable.

I don't think Smith has the AA vote in the 2nd like most think he does.
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 6:11pm
Marconi is a friggin' joke, I hope Labuach wins by a landslide Tongue

I've talked to Smith before, he's not just banking on the AA voters, he's going for the whole ward. If he was just banking on the AA voters that would just be a bad campaign tactic.

Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 6:31pm
How respectful of you to call a man a joke as you hide behind a screen name. I dont think it matters who wins they are all the same look you in the eye and lie.

Who will win ? who cares really !! As soon as this election is over who ever wins will be just like who we have now and in four years they will need to go.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 6:42pm
Love that logic Mr. Dave.  Can't call one a Joke behind a screen name, but you can call them all liars hiding behind a screen name.Thumbs%20Up 
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 6:52pm
Good point Mr Wasteful: Clap  My name is Dave Walsh I live in ward 3 I tried to use my whole name but couldn't. I have been reading this site for about a week and I think that MOST of you are vey smart, but lets be honest no matter who wins on the 3rd it's going to be more of the same crap. I dont believe any of them from Marconi in my ward to Soppanish and Smith in the second ward (where my father lives) As for Laubach, I spoke with him the other day and he is a nice guy but is he gonna be more of the same? at some point I think so. As for hiding I do not hide you want my address I will gladly give it to you. I think one should stand behind what that say and not be affraid to put  their name to it Mr. Wasteful
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:40pm

I didn't realize Mr Laubach was so well known in Middletown. I had never heard of him before he threw his hat in the ring.  Mr Soppanish is probably most known to the 2nd Ward. Mass appeal?? Does anyone on council have mass appeal? No.  Is a candidate only qualified because he is a "known name"? All candidates are known names by now.  I guess it takes an election year to get the "known named" candidates to come to life.  If voters only vote because someone is a "known name" then they deserve whatever happens.

Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 7:52pm
That is a very good point Tootie, I agree if you walk into a voter booth and vote because you have heard the name before then you get what you get. Do some research people call a candidate see who calls you back. Go to a meeting and ask a tough question. Dont vote for a name
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2009 at 8:36pm
Dave I agree that nothing will change here until the Citizens rise up and say enough is enough with Council and Admin.  Some of us remain anonymous out of survival in a city which is known for its vindictiveness toward those who speak their minds.  If you had been here longer than 1 week you would know that some here have been the recipient of retribution for speaking their mind.   If you hang around here I am sure we will meet sooner or later.Thumbs%20Up
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 1:40am
I hear Soppanish has the support of, Mike Scorti. He's sure to crush, Mr. Smith.

Welp, that was a good shot, A.J. You can't beat that money group, kid. It's too bad that John has become a part of the conspiracy going on. Angry

Shame, shame, shame! Censored
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:02am
Ice- I'm predicting the following and including why:
Ward 1- I 'd like to see Barge win it, but, knowing we have a strong MMF/"club"/inner circle voter turnout in this town, who always support their puppet candidates, sadly Armbruster will probably win. Good Lord, that's bad for the city and the 1st Ward. You would have to be blind in one eye and not be able to see out the other to see that the man has not made a single significant contribution since joining council. Armbruster in a council seat is the same as an empty council seat.

Ward 2- Toss up here. Soppanish has demonstrated that he is no push-over and has had some harsh words for current Council in his comments. Don't think he would give in so easily in joining the "club". He cares about the city and is involved with his ward. AJ- I think he will make a good rep. for the 2nd Ward. I don't agree with his ideas on Section 8 for the city. I wonder if AJ would be intimidated by the city power brokers or would he be strong enough to "be his own person"?

Ward 3- Need a change here. Want to see what Laubach can do for the city. Mr. Marconi is a very nice person. Cares for the city, just "misdirected". Sometimes hesitates when talking in council meetings so as not to offend people and to delay arriving at a concrete decision on things. Questions himself too much. That's the problem- can't make the proper decision and stick with it. IMO, he is on the wrong side of the fence for what is needed in this town. BUT- like Armbruster, he has his "buddies" to support him and knowing that some of the voters in town can't see the forest for the trees, he will probably retain his seat.

Ward 4- Like to see Nagy win this one. He has an uphill fight as Picard is the polished lawyer "professional" type with decent speaking abilities to overwhelm most voters. Hopefully, the 4th Ward folks will recognize that Picard may be another city puppet clone/MMF/inner circle sponsored rep. and may choose the path of new ideas and direction in electing Nagy. Picard just has an aire about him that he can't be trusted representing the people, but rather, would take the city's side against the people. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:09am
"city which is known for its vindictiveness toward those who speak their minds"
Vindictive...I'm shocked to hear this Evil%20SmileEvil%20SmileEvil%20Smile

It really doesn’t matter WHO the new council members are.
We the Citizens of Middletown need to take back our City.
We need to form a strong citizens group to make the needed demands on the council and save our City.
We can’t wait another 4 years for change.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:16am
Hey Vet you make a very good case for doing away with the Ward system and allowing all registered voters in the City to vote for 4 at large candidates and a Mayor with your synopsis above on who will win?Thumbs%20Up
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:18am
Vivian you may be right but if we at least had one or two Council persons who were at least open to what the Citizens have to say and the direction they want the city to go in it sure would make it easier.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:35am
Vivian- Sadly, forming a citizens group has been tried in the past. Mr. Kidd tried it several years ago and it was attempted with the Sunday afternoon Library sessions. People are angry with the direction of the city but they aren't angry enough to get up off the couch to do anything about it. If there was a way to motivate the members of this forum, to initiate a citizens group and meet, form a gameplan, list agenda priorities, and devise an action plan and execute said action plan, depending on results, it might motivate more citizens to join in. Until that happens, we will all remain "independent operators" discussing things on this forum. And that's exactly what the city leaders want- a divided, apathetic citizen base offering no opposition to their agenda of destroying this town. What will it take people to tell THEM how it's going to be rather than them dictating to US the way it is?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 8:14am
I am all for a Citizens group but there is little that can be done now before the election.  In my mind it is best to wait the election out see who wins and if there are any winners who are willing to work with a Citizens group.  Nothing can be done Initiative wise until May 2010, which is the next election.

See who wins and then a strategy meeting is needed and then open it up to the Citizens as a whole.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 10:46am
I agree, Pacman.  And we must be a little more "smart" about it at the start, to be sure that we get started on the right foot. 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:57pm
Hey Vet,
You guys are exactly right. There was a group and I was the president of that group for a short time. It was called the Progressive Citizens Group. We were the ones that ran a poll in 2006 and had overwhelming response in asking that the city manager be removed. But I don't believe it was the PCG that lit that candle to start the process. We only confirmed the citizens concern about our city and brought it to council. As a group, when we would try to address the city administration or council we were always swept under the rug as if we were dust in the wind. We apparently did not push the right buttons and bow down to their way of thinking to turn the city around. I can only hope the citizens of Middletown vote this time. This is a very important election. 4 new council members would be better than what we have now. Just take a look around town. Embarrassed I would be more than happy to answer any questions of anyone if they call. In fact, here is my number 513-465-0190
Gary Barge
1st Ward Candidate
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 10:28pm
Mr. Nagy's health will be a perceived impediment, so chalk one up for Dan Picard, well known in the parish community- the 'ruling' body of Middletown. Mr. Barge will need to get out the vote, and in all probability, Armbruster tragically will win in his ward who mangles the English language at each meeting and exemplifies the 'status quo' in my opinion. I don't know how strong Mr. Lambuagh's roots are to Middletown, having her husband at AK helped Ms. Nix easily defeat Mr. Marconi, so its conceiveable Mr. Marconi will be defeated. I certainly hope so; seems to have no concept as to how he bases his decisions- "I was opposed to the red light cameras but I guess there is a safety benefit". Well, if there is a safety benefit (i suggest its purely $$$), then why woud you oppose it Mr. Marconi?  

I would state Mr. Smith will prevail in the 2nd ward, although his platform is more federally based and tethered to Obama than anything remotely to do with Middletown, but the 'get out the vote' to eliminate the eliminatuon of the 2nd ward will favor Mr. Smith as he goes to Washington.

For those that hoped there would be change coming, council actually focusing upon the citizens than doing the bidding for the city management, its going to be the same as always. There are many skeletons in the closet of the MMF sponsored candidates, many, but that won't be revealed or have an impact on the election. If Mr. Picard wins, as he will, get ready for a run at the bench to idle into retirement, just like Noah Powers.

Progress is not being made. Well, lets hear more about HUD and 8 as the city continues its status quo descent. Imagine some actually thought it would be getting better.   
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 6:41am
Accuro the only way it is going to get better is when the Citizens stand together and say enough is enough.  We will see after the elections results.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 6:57am
Well, now I can understand why the MMF cronies want to do away with wards!  They can save a lot of money by having to finance only FIVE candidates instead of SEVEN!!!

Perhaps we should petition for a charter amendment to raise the number to FIFTEEN, and at least cost them a little MORE $$$ to stack the council deck!!! LOL LOL
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic