FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown's Pioneer Cemetery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 7:17pm
Was there a letter telling you to remove plants, Ms. Moon?
Nameless View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nameless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 8:29pm
The city took the plants out because the cemetery is CITY OWNED property..They have the right to landscape and maintain the grounds as they see fit..
 Vivian- Did you ever get permission to plant those plants?  If not, then maybe YOU should be arrested for vandalism for destruction of city property..You guys are wanting to go after the workers who were doing their jobs and removed the landscaping when maybe you were in the wrong to put it there in the first place!!
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 8:56pm
The city of Middletown maintains nothing, but its own coffers and increasingly alarming feeling of entitlement. Undoubtedly Ms. Moon angered the city by her legal action or hearing, which in all probablity will not go in her favor as the ambiquity associated with "maintain" is quite broad. In retaliation, the city clearly took the plants out, as they did not want the poitential perceived aggrevation and complaint maintaining Ms. Moon's previous work product was neglected.

It is astounding a city truck is wasting gas sitting in idle monitoring the cemetary for purposes unknown. But, as nameless states, as the city has responsibility for maintaining the property, they can remove whatever they feel is necessary, although clearly retalitory, by alleging it would be too much inconvenience to be troubled by additional grounds keeping.

Nonetheless, these petty action, in my opinion, continue to illuminate the city of Middletown in such a negative manner it continues to hamper additional families and companies having any desire or willingness to associate with Middletown in any capacity.

I don't know whom your legal representation is Ms. moon, but I would have strongly objected to the delay by Mr. Landem at your hearing. Administrative hearings are very difficult to prevail, and the city may when the battle but lose the war on these issue, as it clearly shows pettiness, cavalier mentality, and retaliation for someone volunteering time and effort associated with pride and historic perspective.

The silence is defeaning by those on council, but that's to be expected with their track record of apathy, protecting special interests, and apathy towards all residents, which will not change. Amazing when property values are at levels 25 years ago, roads in shambles, incompentency rules, and the town boarded like a ghetto, the issues front and center are elimination of wards, and HUD.

Middletown's death spiral is one it will never be free, as the freefall continues.      
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Nameless Nameless wrote:

The city took the plants out because the cemetery is CITY OWNED property..They have the right to landscape and maintain the grounds as they see fit..
 Vivian- Did you ever get permission to plant those plants?  If not, then maybe YOU should be arrested for vandalism for destruction of city property..You guys are wanting to go after the workers who were doing their jobs and removed the landscaping when maybe you were in the wrong to put it there in the first place!!
I am just wondering did you bump your head is that why your nameless? Is that why you cant remember your name? I have read many comments on this site MANY, but you might be the most ignorant person EVER. I dont know Mrs. Moon, but she has done a great thing in that cemetery and our city leaders have spit in all of our faces by the way they have acted in this matter. I wouldn't even care if they would just stand up and say yes we took the plants because we can. Instead they sit there like stones, mindless stones at that. The city does own the the cemetery and therefor should have to take care of it. So if I go to the cemetery and plant a flower according to you I should be charged with a crime. Thats your logic Nameless right? I know, maybe you like living in a city where the leaders think they are untouchable or, maybe you like our city looking like a broaded up crack town. I got a welcome letter from the admin's here at MiddletownUSA.com, (thanks for that), in that letter they said they were glad to have another voice and opinion on the site. I dont think they had you in mind when they said that. You my friend need a reality check to what is happening in this town.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 3:44am

Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

This was Ms Gillland's reply to Mr. Don Thompson last week

Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:17 PM
To: *All Council Members
Cc: Duritsch, David J Jr
Subject: Pioneer Cemetery ... We do not intend to spend anymore staff time on this issue, please let me know if you have any questions in this regard. Thanks, Judy ...

Yet, apparently someone on staff DID spend more time the last few days:

1.  Making and installing the new sign with the punitively restrictive hours for the cemetery to be open.

2.  Monitoring the cemetery during a bright, sunshiny afternoon in a City truck.

Didn’t everyone understand Ms. Gilleland’s “intentions”, or did they just choose to ignore her?

Also, Ms. Gilleland just can’t seem to get to the bottom of this until Mr. Phelps returns!!

Folks, how ironic that a “Mr. Phelps” is involved!!! I can hear Ms. Gilleland now, stating that “Mr. Phelps, if you or any of the Mission Impossible Force are discovered, the city will dis-avow any knowledge of your actions!” LOL LOL

They will probably blame it on “disgruntled union employees” who were angry that Ms. Moon was being allowed to perform “their work” when layoffs were about to occur!!! They seem to try to blame a lot of the city’s financial problems on the unions!

Stand back from that tape cartridge, “Mr. Phelps”!!! This is the point where something always bursts into flames!!!

(And we may not have enough fire fighters to save you!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:05am

Nameless, You need to read ORC cemetery law.
 Vivian- Did you ever get permission to plant those plants?  If not, then maybe YOU should be arrested for vandalism for destruction of city property.
In fact I did get permission and all designs were ok'd by City and some by the Middletown Community Foundation
You guys are wanting to go after the workers who were doing their jobs and removed the landscaping when maybe you were in the wrong to put it there in the first place!!
I don't want the jobs of any workers, the majority have been very good to me over the years.
HOWEVER I DO WANT THE JOB OF THE PERSON WHO GAVE THE ORDER FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF THE CEMETERY.
The Middletown Cemetery Committee wants to be fully reimbursed for the plants that were stolen.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:09am
Was there a letter telling you to remove plants, Ms. Moon?
Wannaknow, No, I never received a letter.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:23am
Has anyone actually heard from the City as to why they did this?
Pacman, I've heard that the City is having a meeting today to discuss the problems at the cemetery.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:46am
The silence is defeaning by those on council, but that's to be expected with their track record of apathy, protecting special interests, and apathy towards all residents, which will not change.
Accuro, I just can't understand why the City does not understand the pain they have caused the families that have loved ones buried at the Middletown Cemetery. The families had been calling the City for years to complain about the conditions of the cemetery. When I started working on the cemetery these families really downloaded on me. You just can't imagin the condition of the grounds. I will admit I was amazed and overwhelmed by all the work that needed to be completed.
I have worked for 5 years and the cemetery still does not meet Ohio State Cemetery Minimum Guidelines.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 6:36am
Vivian I would say the City has more than a problem.  They have a huge PR problem from the Stand point of the Families that have family members buried at the cemetery and also families that will continue to bury their family members there.  These new hours are ridicules and all I assume so an employee can go and unlock the gate at 8:00 am and then an employee to lock it up at 3:00pm before the day shift goes home, and no weekend hours you have got to be kidding me.  Does the city really think people only go there during working hours. 

The city has also added to the lack of trust issue that many of the city's citizens have that the City is doing what is best and right for it's citizens.

This whole matter could have been handled is a much better manner and should have been.
Kelly View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 8:26am
Umm...you know, Keep Middletown Beautiful plants things all over Middletown city's "properties" - why hasn't someone enlisted this organization to care for the flowers and foliage in the pioneer cemetary? Isn't that their job? Isn't that what they tout on a monthly basis?

This forum has discussed ad nauseum the (ir)responsibility of the Historical Society to care about this historical cemetary..

What is the underlying problem here? We have 2 organizations who should/could step up and say they will take care of it. Obviously Miss Vivian did her share with upkeep and also had more than her share of receiving harrassment from the city. I am sure she would be delighted if one or both of these organizations were to take up the cemetary task.

Why are both the Keep Middletown Beautiful folks and the Historical Society folks strangely silent on this issue??

And again I ask: What is the underlying problem here? Is it purely budgetary?? Is it purely revenge? What???

da120757 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote da120757 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 8:37am
so i guess i missed something?  With the new Hours are they now locking the gates at the cemetery? 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 8:47am
I don't know da, but when I first saw the pic of the sign that was my first assumption also they would be locking it up using city employees.  Can not think of any other reason to close at 3:00pm and no Weekend Hours.  Doesn't make much sense.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:05am
Why are both the Keep Middletown Beautiful folks and the Historical Society folks strangely silent on this issue?? 
And again I ask: What is the underlying problem here? Is it purely budgetary?? Is it purely revenge? What???

Kelly, because of legal issues I’m unable to answer your questions on this blog. However if you really want to know the answers to your questions you are welcome to call me at 727-1942.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 9:25am
Email and pictures from Mrs. Moon to me:

When I met with the City in 2005 concerning the cemetery being vandalized, Mark Hoffman stated that the police could not see into the cemetery on the Richmond Street side of the cemetery. It is the job of the Public Works Department to spray all fence lines around the cemetery in the spring so they do not need to be string trimmed by the mowing crew.

In the spring of 2009 I called Ron Phelps and requested that the West Fence Line be double sprayed on both sides so the shrubs and stink trees would not return. About 6 weeks later I called him again and told him that the fence lines were still not sprayed and the shrubs and stink trees were growing again...he got mad. I then told him that I would not clear the fence line again for the City...

When I walked into cemetery in 2004 the entire west fence line was covered. A big hole large enough to drive a car though, was in the back section. It took us three years to clear this fence line because the shrubs had grown through, around and into the fence. It was so bad that we had to hand cut out each branch so the fence would not be damaged. The very back section is still not completed. Kevin Ingram and his crew helped me in 2009 to clear some o this fence line. Drive down Richmond Street and I think you will fully understand why I was a bit upset with Mr. Phelps.

Vivian

**See photos

I have driven down Richmond Street and it is not pretty.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:14am
Kelly
I contacted contact Keep Middletown Beautiful several years ago.
They only take care of their own plantings.
The Middletown Historical Society refused to file grants for the Middletown Cemetery Committee.
Nick_Kidd View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_Kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:59am
Vivian, since your hard work had made much improvment to the Pioneer Cemetery, it no longer fit in to city hall's master plan. How could a well planted and cared for cemetery fit in to our terrible streets, section 8 housing slum that council has created? You, working alone, have made more improvment to Middletown than the city officials and all of our tax dollars have in the last thirty years. It seems funny that the city doesn't have time to maintain the flower beds, but have time for a city worker to sit and watch the cemetery (for what purpose?). Council's silence on this subject at the last meeting is just how they handle all of the REAL problems of the city. 
Government is not the answer to problems, government is the problem.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 11:16am

Friends of blog
I do hope you understand that many people have helped me over the past 6 years with labor, supplies and donations. Without their help the cemetery would still be a weed field. I did not make all this public so I could say “Look what I did”. The only reason I made all of this public was to “Save the Cemetery”.
Thank you for all for your kind words and support.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:20pm

DEATH OF AN OLD CEMETERY
    The death of an old cemetery does not happen quickly but rather slowly and quietly over many years.
    The names of the once proud people who founded the city, quietly resting there are forgotten, their descendants scattered to the wind. Soldiers, that once heard the roar of cannons and answered the call to fight for our freedom, rest quietly their battle on earth now over. Their names and battles only remembered in some dusty history book sitting on a shelf at the local library.
    The tombstones marked with the family name that once stood strong and tall, gleaming in the sunshine, are vandalized and fall silently to the ground broken and forgotten. Stone by stone they start to litter the landscape.
    The peaceful green grass becomes choked with weeds and litter now replaces the wild flowers that once bloomed in the springtime. Poison ivy starts to cover the stones.
    Families no longer make the pilgrimage on Memorial Day to put flowers on the graves or wipe the dust from the tombstones. They don't share the stories and struggles of the family with the new generations. Soon their names are forgotten in time.
    The City keeps growing and the old cemetery becomes an eyesore and really need to be removed because now the City needs more parking all in the name of progress.  

This story happens all over our country every year. It happens because of the inaction and apathy of the community leaders.
    And now it’s happening in Middletown, Ohio.
    Over the years the
Middletown Cemetery has been vandalized time and time again. The once beautiful stones are now nothing more than rubble that littler the grounds because the city does not have time to secure the property or reset the stones. The vault that once needed only minor repairs is now in critical condition from the utter neglect of our city leaders over the years.
     Now City Manager Judy Gilleland and  Mayor Larry Mulligan have recommend to the City Council that the sacred grounds of the
Middletown Cemetery be desecrated further by the removal of the vault that once held the bodies of those buried there.
    I never thought I would live to see this day....but for the first time in my life I’m ashamed to be part of the Middletown Community.    
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 12:39pm
You're point is well made, and it reminded me of one of my favorite poems, In Flanders Field. For those whom haven't read it, it was written about a battle in WWI and the deaths on the battlefield after a major had delivered the eulogy of a dead soldier.

I'm surprised you are surpised Ms. Moon. Middletown is the city of entitlement, protecting the needs of the ungry beast called the city workers, and has rarely been about the citizens since the early 1980's. I wouldn't be surpised if Dean Cowan leaves academia to become some change agent for downtown, which will never happen. Obviously, the city's plan is to gut as much if not all of downtown and rebuild, but who would be interested in Middletown? Young adults attracted to pollution, waste, abuse, Chicago style politics, mediocre school system, apathy to the point the same candidates run year after year? It won't happen.

The money trail in donations clearly shows the bidding to be done for the Atrium and AK Steel. I'm sorry it took you many years to be ashamed of middletown, i was ashamed and disgusted with my decision in 1989 when relocated with P & G. The absolute worse decision I ever made. Middletown will never rebound in the housing market, nor will the city, council, nor school board ever change. I waited my 20 years. Its a city of regression, not progression.     
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 1:05pm
Folks,
Hasn't anybody figured out what is going on in the city? Our founding fathers lay in the cemetary and are being ripped apart by the foolishness of a power struggle. I find this despicable. This is in the ward I am running for and I can GUARANTEE that if this was being done on my watch as 1st Ward representative heads would have rolled. If our city administration is doing this to spite any organization or group or individuals the mayior should take the position and correct this problem ASAP. If any of the allegations in any of these posts are true and factual then there should be a house cleaning. This is merely an act from what I can see as total disrespect and foolish decision making for the founders of our city.
Gary Barge
1st Ward Candidate
warmandfuzzy View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warmandfuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 1:20pm
Ms. Moon, your work on the cemetery is to be commended, but reading your posts, I'm not clear about something. WHO exactly paid for the plants that were removed? Were these plants paid for out of your personal funds - the Middletown Cemetery Committee funds - or did the monies come from another source? Thanks
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 4:02pm
warmandfuzzy
The plants that were removed were paid for by the Middletown Cemetery Committee or the plants were donated by family members of Middletown Cemetery. I believe a few of the plants were paid for with funds from the Middletown Community Foundation.

None of the plants and shrubs that were removed were paid for by City Funds.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 4:32pm
Gary
The Middletown Cemetery Committee hopes and prays you get elected.
We could sure use a friend to stop this madness.
The Doty Family Plot was a weed patch in 2004 when I walked into it.
I started work on the Doty Rose Garden in 2006 while I was digging and turning the soil I found the small footstone of Daniel Doty about 18" down that had been buried for many years.
This area is now filled with 7 red double knock out rose bushes and 6 big white peony bushes.
They are all in bloom on Memorial Day and put on beauitful show for the families.
These roses were paid for by a grant from the Middletown Community Foundation and the hostas and peonies were a donation from Marjorie Root Anderson
The 10 hostas that were planted in the front of this bed are now missing
I sent Randy a copy of this photo to post for me.

accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 5:00pm
Ms. Moon- can you provide an update on what your legal action(s) have been associated with the removal of the plants, compensatory damages I am referencing, and have you filed cliams for damages in Butler Cty Court? Also, could you share your attorney's name just out of curiosity. You may have a claim under retaliation in violation of public policy associated with your efforts and if the city knew these plants were there for 3-5 years, did nothing, and suddenly removed them, its undoubtedly a retaliation act. Ironic the stay for the hearing was associated with the city stating it was holding training on non discrimination and harrassment in the work place while causing you emotional distress. Someday when I leave Middletown, I'll post all the horror stories I'm aware by the 'beat down' city tactics, as well as the 'favors' for the 'insiders' club. 

If it will make you feel any better, and I know it won't, just drive on Briehel and see the crumbling curbs as well as all over the city. If the city won't maintain its own infrastructure for the living, its a given they surely don't care nor respect the deceased.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic