FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown's Pioneer Cemetery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown's Pioneer Cemetery
    Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 10:02am
I made the trip down to Middletown's most historic cemetery to get some pictures of the cemetery after the removal of the shrubbery. This is what I saw.

The vault 

A line of damaged headstones next to the vault

The corner next to Denny lumber.

A city worker pulled in as I was taking pictures drove around left, parked up the
street till I left.

The center of the cemetery use to hold flowers and bushes, now this is what you see.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 10:05am
Has anyone actually heard from the City as to why they did this?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 10:09am
I am sending a email to the city manager and everyone on council as we speak. I too would like to know why. I will let you when and if I get a response 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 12:05pm
We still haven't heard from any councilmember as to who ordered the removals, have we? Should we contact ALL council people to see which one will step up to the plate and tell the public who ordered this? Bet we will never know. Perhaps another example of our representatives not being honest with the people they are obligated to serve? How about calling the city building directly and asking the city manager who ordered this? She is ultimately responsible for the decision. We must insist that they answer this question. Push the issue until there is a verbal confrontation if necessary.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 12:11pm

Why not Mr.Armbruster?

It is his ward, and he is running for re-election. If he does not respond, then it should be very telling about his commitment to his constituents and citizens in general. Doubt that the city manager approach is best.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 12:29pm
I would like to know why the journal did not mention any of this as well.  Maybe we should all start calling sound off maybe something will get printed.  I don't understand how anybody would do this -  they are just as bad as the vandals that kick over the markers.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 12:43pm
Thats interesting that a city employee is patroling the cemetery,I'm surprised they didn't call the police on you Randy.

We need some before and after photos of the cemetery. Show how good it looked when Vivian took care of it compared to the total destruction by the city. I don't know why we couldn't get the names of the employees who took everything out and charge them with vandalism, if any one of us went in there and took out something that was planted there is no doubt we'd be charged.

Where did Vivian purchase the shrubs and flowers when she planted them ? Perhaps someone got upset that the purchase was not made at the RIGHT business ?? And maybe thats why the big push to plant flowers all around the city ?

Just my thoughts for the day.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

I am sending a email to the city manager and everyone on council as we speak. I too would like to know why. I will let you when and if I get a response 
From what I have seen of the way this administration prefers to work, let me make a guess:

If the heat gets turned up, the high muckety-mucks will choose an expendable underling, and throw them in front of the train (claim that they did it without the knowledge or authorization of the higher-ups.)

Note:  this is simply an opinion.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 2:22pm

This was Ms Gillland's reply to Mr. Don Thompson last week

Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:17 PM
To: *All Council Members
Cc: Duritsch, David J Jr
Subject: Pioneer Cemetery

Mayor and Members of Council,

I wanted to quickly update you on Pioneer Cemetery.  We will know more details once Ron Phelps returns from vacation.

A quick review of the year includes Ms. Moon telling us in June that she would no longer volunteer in the cemetery and instructed city staff on what needed to be done in the cemetery to care for the planting beds that she had established.    

As a result, I thanked Ms. Moon for her volunteer time, asked her to not give work direction to city staff – we’ve apparently had several discussions with her about creating extra work for staff and the contractors there.  I asked her to get written city permission if she ever intended to do more work in the cemetery. 

I am told that since our crews did not have the wherewithal to maintain the beds that Ms. Moon had planted, they went to seed.  A couple of months ago, Mr. Phelps informed Ms. Moon that the beds were going to be removed and returned to grass.  Further, he asked her to remove any plants that she wanted prior to the city doing the removal. 

Ms. Moon did not take any action to remove any plants during the two month period.  Our crews (headed by Doris Baden, our plant expert) returned the beds to grass for ease of maintenance.   The plants that were living and of value were moved to other areas of the city, while most of the bulbs remain where they were planted.   

Again, Dave D. is attempting to confirm the above details, but we believe this is what transpired.   We do not intend to spend anymore staff time on this issue, please let me know if you have any questions in this regard.  Thanks, Judy

Judith A. Gilleland

City Manager

City of Middletown

One Donham Plaza

Middletown, Ohio 45042

(513) 425-7836

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 2:36pm

But fellow bloggers you only need to ask yourself one question...

Do you really believe as much as I love City Hall that I gave them permission to remove five years of my work and over $4.700 worth of plants to be planted in other parts of the City?
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 2:50pm
Vivian....No Way In H***!!
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:03pm
Vivian...Was looking through some photos I took of the Pioneer Cemetery earlier this year and noticed it was founded on May 30, 1827. Was the vault built at that time or at a later date? Thanx. Incidentally, I have relatives buried there.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:05pm

I am told that since our crews did not have the wherewithal to maintain the beds that Ms. Moon had planted, they went to seed.  A couple of months ago, Mr. Phelps informed Ms. Moon that the beds were going to be removed and returned to grass.  Further, he asked her to remove any plants that she wanted prior to the city doing the removal. 

I think that pretty much sums it up.  You had the opportunity to remove your plants from city property and failed to do so.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:15pm

swohio75.........but we believe this is what transpired

Ask them to prove it.....
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:16pm
It sounds like either Mr. Phelps or Ms. Baden have just been "volunteered" to "take one for the team."
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:32pm

Yes, the
Middletown Cemetery was established May 30, 1827. This is the most historic sight in Middletown
I believe the Gothic Vault was built about 1870 no records have been found.
The records state that in 1878 the city went to the brick factory in
West Middletown
and purchased bricks to line the inside of vault. They closed off the windows, built racks on the inside to store bodies during the winter.
Daily Rent was charged until the bodies could be buried in the spring.
Woodside Cemetery was established in 1891.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:53pm

I spoke to a council member just after I took this picture, I am told there is a meeting tomorrow and Pioneer will be talked about. I was also told that there are weekend hours for the cemetery or atleast should be and  the council member is not sure why there are not posted on the sign. I should get a phone call tomorrow and have some more information for all of you.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 3:58pm

Randy

This is a new sign that has been placed within the past few weeks.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Randy

This is a new sign that has been placed within the past few weeks.

I didn't notice the sign yesterday when I was there, I find it odd that there are no weekend hours posted on the sign
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:08pm
So in the Summer time when it is light until 8:30-9:00PM you can't go visit your relatives after 3:00pm and you will have to take time off from work if you want to visit them at all.  I tell you this Cemetery mess gets stranger by the day.  This seems to be nothing but a vendetta against the citizens of Middletown by a few select City Employees.  This is beyond ridicules.

Two can play this game.  The next time the city wants something oh I don't know tax increase for employee salaries, bennies.................that will be a NO VOTE.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:19pm
Wasteful
The old cemetery hours were from 8 am til dusk (8pm in summer)
I have told them numerous times that large numbers of people from all over the US come to visit this cemetery...however they will not listen to me.
Wait until someone from out of town drives all the way here and can't get in all he** will break loose on them.
Hope they have posted a phone number to call.

People also bring their dogs to the cemetery after they get off work and let them run. That also helps keep the ground hogs out of the cemetery.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:27pm

Everyone in Middletown knows that this is a personal vendetta against me and the Middletown Cemetery because I filed a complaint with the State of Ohio against them for not taking care of the cemetery and the fact that they stole the Middletown Cemetery Perpetual Care Fund and now have the nerve to tell me they have no money to restore the vault.

randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:28pm
Were those old hours weekends too? These new hours bother me but the fact that nothing is said about weekends bothers me even more.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:36pm

Randy

Yes. the hours were the same as Woodside Cemetery 7 days a week.
Did you receive my photos?
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2009 at 4:39pm
I did get your pictures I will post them for soon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic