Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Middletown City Council Campaign Finance Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown City Council Campaign Finance Reports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 8:43pm
Made arrangements? Are you suggesting that someone was going to pay his tuition? I find it exceptionally hard to believe that a bright guy like that would pass up a free education. I've spoken with Mr. Smith about his previous educational opportunities, and unless you've ever had to walk in his shoes, don't jump the gun. I think you're missing some important facts. Maybe you should reach out to, Mr. Smith. He's a very open guy. Surely he would be willing to speak with you.

Btw, your issues with Mr. Smith sound personal.

Also, tell me something, how many people pass up an opportunity to work on a national presidential campaign?--Democratic, Republican, Independent, etc. -- If I was as young as Mr. Smith, I would have taken that opportunity as well. JMO
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 8:53pm
Sure get your name in the paper and picture as well. My issues are not personal. I want someone with experience to fix my home town. Not a 20 year old! We need someone with life experience, experience with budgets of millions of dollars, experience with unions, experience with Section 8, experience with business development. Having been a 20 year old in another life, I know that I did not that kind of experience and neither does AJ. Glad he was able to participate in a national campaign, hope it benefits him in the future, but that does not qualify him to try to run Middletown, yet!

JMO
mtownsupporter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownsupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 10:17pm
Yet again, Smartman, you're not coming across as very smart.  Your comments about AJ and his pursuit of education are way off base.  He has never NOT planned to pursue his education.  OK, so he's not the traditional student who goes to high school, college, and then works for some time before finding a career.  AJ has aspirations and a career path in mind already.  Because of his efforts in running for the school board, he was given the opportunity to work on a national campaign.  Did he go out and hunt that down?  Absolutely not.  Is it a crime to gain valuable life experience just because it doesn't fit into YOUR opinion of what a 20-year old should be doing?  I don't think so.

Everyone complains about the people on City Council.  If you want someone different, why are you complaining about the only candidate who is different from the people who have been there so long?  Seems a tad hypocritical to me.

If everyone on the current city council is so terrible, who is to say what the "correct" qualifications should be?  It would seem to me that getting a wide range of people on the council in terms of experiences could only be beneficial -- as long as they are all committed to and passionate about the success of Middletown.  Commitment and passion for this city are two things AJ Smith has demonstrated.  Can everyone else (including the nay-sayers on this blog) say the same?
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 5:27am
Upon his graduation from high school he was to attend I believe Easter Kentucky U. During the school levy he used an EKU email address. He was also scheduled to attend MUM,,,I know people that took him to class each day until decided to go on a national campaign. Passion Mtown, I doubt it, its the need to see his name in the paper. He has always had to be the center of attention.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownsupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 5:58am
Go to MUM versus gaining experience on a presidential election.  Gee, that would be a hard choice to make ...  Nobody says he didn't have the plans to go to college -- just that the plans changed.  Unless you actually are AJ and are inside his head, your comments about what he "needs" is a bit inappropriate.  I think the traditionalist approach to what a 20-year-old "should" be doing is getting in the way of seeing how a different perspective may actually be a good thing for the city.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 6:01am
Originally posted by mtownsupporter mtownsupporter wrote:

Everyone complains about the people on City Council.  If you want someone different, why are you complaining about the only candidate who is different from the people who have been there so long?  Seems a tad hypocritical to me.
With all due respect, perhaps you should do some homework.  Mr. Smith is hardly "the only candidate who is different from the people who have been there so long", especially if you are speaking in reference to the "not the traditional student who goes to high school, college, and then works for some time before finding a career" bit.

Now I am NOT "anti-AJ", but I am not surprised that both you and "Ice Box" support him so passionately.  You both remind me of him quite a bit!  Big%20smile
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 6:55am
I have to agree with Smartman on this one.  Experience counts.  When you listen to Smith speak publicly he reminds you exactly of someone else on a much larger scale that lacked experince nationally/globally and won the election........Obama.  Is that a bad thing I guess that depends on your persepective and which way your politics lean.  Personally Obama hasn't exactly impressed the hell out of me with much of anything he has done.

All the more reason I wish to do away with the Wards and allow everyone to vote for all the candidates.  This kind of shoots down Merrill's theory down that a candidate from the 2nd ward can't raise the funds to run.
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownsupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 7:06am
Mike, with all due respect, I did not say that he is the only candidate that is not traditional. 

Since you have no idea who I am, it amuses me that I remind you of AJ.  Our backgrounds and politics are about as different as possible.  If enthusiasm and concern for those around us are what we have in common, then I'll thank you and take your comment as a compliment.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 7:29am
Originally posted by mtownsupporter mtownsupporter wrote:

Mike, with all due respect, I did not say that he is the only candidate that is not traditional.
That's strange!  I copied it directly from your 10:17 pm (yesterday) post, using the "quote" feature of the
"Bulletin Board Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 9.50 [Free Express Edition]" used on this forum.  I wonder how THEY got you wrong.  When I look back up and compare the two, it certainly LOOKS like the very same words.

Perhaps someone has access to your password or you forgot to log off, and they are playing a trick on you?

Anyway, I sincerely apologize for misquoting you. That absolutely was NOT my intent.  I'll try to do better in the future, but I don't know how I can do better than quoting you word-for-word, in context!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic