Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 27, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Middletown City Council Campaign Finance Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown City Council Campaign Finance Reports

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown City Council Campaign Finance Reports
    Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 8:59am
I do my best not use information from the Journal, which is kinda easy because I dont read it. But someone pointed this out to today and I thought it was very interesting so I wanted to post here.

Article from the journal

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer Updated 8:20 AM Friday, October 23, 2009

MIDDLETOWN — So far, the city’s youngest candidate for Middletown City Council is also the leading fundraiser and spender in the 2009 ward races.

According to campaign finance reports that were due by 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 22, 2nd Ward candidate A.J. Smith has raised $4,597 and has spent $4,029 in his race against fellow candidate John Soppanish for the open council seat.

State law requires a campaign finance report to be filed with the Butler County Board of Elections if $1,000 was raised or spent prior to Thursday’s deadline.

Top contributors include Roger Steven Dillman, $500; Steven Hightower, $300; Michael Scorti, $200; Tyrone Thomas, $100; Adriane Scherrer, $350; Avalon Consulting Group, $240; Ruth Ann Tracy, $100; Dan Tracy, $100; Joe Wittman, $250; Change Butler County PAC, $333; Butler County Progressive PAC, $500; Todd Jermaine Martin, $100; Anthony Klimek, $100.

He also had three unnamed donors who contributed a total of $268.

Smith also used his Web site to solicit campaign donations from out of state, with the largest, $467, from an Indianapolis dental firm. Other online donations totalled nearly $113.

His largest in-kind donations was from the 2005 Group/Richard Isroff for $900 in office rental; ACF Mortgage Co. of Cincinnati for $336 for mailers; Haines Consulting of Canton for $1,000 for political consulting; Creative Designs for $700 in campaign literature design; and $480 to the 2005 Group/Richard Isroff.

Smith’s expenses include $480 to the 2005 Group/Richard Isroff for office utilities; $1,078 in advertising; $292 to Shelly’s Signs & Graphics of Fairfield for office window signage; $224 to Signrocket of Minnesota for advertising; $250 to Bob Goughenour for advertising design; and $361 to Digital Visuals for signs.

Incumbent 1st Ward Councilman Jim Armbruster was the next highest on the campaign money list. Armbruster is seeking re-election to his second term on council.

Armbruster reported receiving $3,920 in contributions and spending only $852.

Top contributors to Armbruster’s campaign were Kenneth Cohen, $500; T.A. Dobrozsi, $100; Harry A. Finkelman Inc., $250; Rachel Lewitt, $250; Thomas Hazelbaker, $100; Alan McCoy, $500; Robinson Realtors, $100; John Sawyer, $100; Michael Scorti, $200; Richard Slagle, $100; Robert Breitenbach, $100; David Horn of Cincinnati, $250; Heath Valentine, $100; James Wainscott, $500; and a loan from Armbruster for $100.

His largest expense is ABS Publishing for $810 for printed letters, postage, and envelopes.

Incumbent 3rd Ward Councilman Tony Marconi, also seeking a second term on council, reported raising $3,525 in contributions and spending $2,506 in his campaign.

Marconi also reported a $2,209 loaned to his committee for signs.

Many of Marconi’s top contributors mirrored Armbruster’s top contributors. Among those were Michael Scorti, $200; John Sawyer, $100; Richard Slagle, $100; Alan McCoy, an AK Steel Corp. vice president, $500; Thomas Hazelbaker, $100; T.A. Dobrozsi, $100; Kenneth Cohen, $500; James Wainscott, AK Steel Corp.’s president, chairman and CEO, $500; David Horn of Cincinnati, $250; and James Akers, CEO of Akers Packaging Services, $750.

In addition to the signs, Marconi’s largest expense was to Strategic Advantage Consulting of Hamilton for $2,500.

Daniel Picard, a 4th Ward candidate, reported raising $2,645 and spending $1,289 on his campaign.

His largest contributor was Douglas W. McNeill, president of Atrium Medical Center, who gave $1,200. Other top contributors were Alan McCoy, $500; Andrew Singer, $150; Stephen O’Neil, $100; Robinson Inc. Realtors, $100; and Picard himself, $300.

Picard’s largest expense was $1,137 to ABS Publishing for signs, envelopes, labels and accessories.

Joshua Laubach, who is challenging Marconi for the 3rd Ward seat, reported raising $1,410 and spending $1,275 on his campaign.

Laubach, who was 22 minutes late filing his report Thursday with the elections board, also reported in-kind contributions of $95 and a $847 loan from his committee.

His top contributors included Chris Langhorne, $100; Keith and Debbie Clements, $100; Lois Laubach, $100; Kevin Puckett, $100; Larry Wood, $200; and Lois Wood, $200.

Laubach’s largest expense was for signs to Digital Visuals for at total of $740.

Candidates Paul Nagy, Gary Barge and John Soppanish did not file campaign finance reports.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:22am
I also read this and I still say if you have to buy your way into a council seat then once again it is a pathetic turn of events. Except for signs and maybe flyers there is no reason to spend that kind of money to get a council seat for Middletown. If the candidates are honest, working for the citizens and are not influenced by others then that should be enough.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:49am

Tootie
I must respectfully disagree with you.
Current council members and local business owner always have the advantage in a local election because of name recognition.
The unknown candidates brings a new energy to the elections, they call the residence and ask about current problems and issues, they have new ideas about solving problems, they increase voter registration.
Without funding these new canidates would not get elected.

tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 1:17pm
Ms Moon
So are saying you think you have to spend your way to get on council?? So once again money or your name is more important. Why should anyone, whether they are well known or not, have to spend thousands of dollars to get elected? That's the problem now. I don't care who the candidate is as long as they are honest, for the citizens, and are progressive. We don't need more of the same. That is my whole point.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 1:34pm
Just for the information of anyone who may not follow politics as closely as others:

Just because Mr. Nagy, Mr. Barge, and Mr. Soppanish did not file a report at this time, does NOT mean that they necessarily are hiding anything or breaking any laws.  According to Ohio election law (and I am just going from memory here, so cut me a little slack on the details), candidates who do NOT either raise or spend more than a certain amount (I seem to recall that amount to be $1,000.00), are NOT required to file Campaign Finance Reports by this first deadline.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 2:07pm
Mr Presta
You are exactly right. And even though I don't believe in these highly financed campaigns I also don't think it is anyone else's business how much each candidate spent even though it is public record.
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 2:51pm
Wow, Smith is a heck of a fundraiser. No doubt he's outworking is opposition. This should be an interesting race.

Anybody know why Nagy, Soppanish and Barge decided not to file?
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 3:40pm
Ms Moon
So are saying you think you have to spend your way to get on council?? So once again money or your name is more important. Why should anyone, whether they are well known or not, have to spend thousands of dollars to get elected? That's the problem now. I don't care who the candidate is as long as they are honest, for the citizens, and are progressive. We don't need more of the same. That is my whole point.

Tootie
No I'm telling you that it takes money be beat a current council member.
Are you telling me that you don't believe that Mr Marconi and Mr Armbruster do no have an advantage in the race because they are on council?
You and I may be well informed voters however that is not true for others...They vote for the name they know.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 11:56pm
noticed that the candidates that haven't spent all their funds, still some time to go.  What happens to the unused funds?

Vivian and tootie, I think you 2 are arguing 2 different points.  Buying the seat versus getting advertisements and face time so the people can hear your opinions
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 7:23am
Ranger:
There are a wide range of allowable uses for unspent campaign funds, many of which are honorable and ethical, others not so much.

I won't try to list them here. Suffice it to say that lawyers and politicians wrote and enacted the rules regarding unexpended campaign funds.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 8:42am
Mike-- sounds like running would be fun just to have a "campaign party" with some of those funds  LOL  Wink
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:05pm
I must be missing your point. You say it takes money and I say it shouldn't be about money. I see no reason for someone to need thousands of dollars (such as Mulligan and Becker in the last election for a $5000 a year seat) Yes Marconi and Armbruster have the advantage because they are the "known Names". I will still stand on my opinion that it shouldn't be about money or your name but I am not so blind as to know that is usually the way it goes. And yes unfortunately some people will vote for names which is a big part of the problem now.
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 8:14am
Take note of who contributed to Marconi, Armbruster and Picard. Do you think if those three are on council that those contributers won't get first consideration, just like it is now and has been for a long time. That's how Middletown got into this mess, one hand greasing the other with no thought of how to improve the city as a whole. It's personal good ol' boy politics, let's all get rich together. When the whole shebang is over they will have enough money to live comfortably and to hell with us little people.  Not only are they not business friendly towards anyone outside their circle but it seems they will go out of their way to create problems to stop any progress being made. It amazes and saddens me to know there is so much corruption. It would be nice to get new ppl in office and IMO if given enough time they could make a difference. But how do you change the mind-set of the ppl with power (money) that have controlled Middletown through council for years. Do you really think they are going to sudenly change their thinking and try to do good for someone other than themselves? THEY DON"T CARE about the town, the ppl, attracting new business, the schools, the roads because they have what they want already. Most of them probably don't even live here. They live in nice, progressive, upscale places with good roads and schools.  
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 9:11am
Originally posted by wannaknow wannaknow wrote:

But how do you change the mind-set of the ppl with power (money) that have controlled Middletown through council for years.
Well, a few years at Lucasville or Lebanon Correctional Institution might do it.  At least they will be with their corrupt friends from city hall!!!
LOL LOL Tongue
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 9:57pm

It was no surprise who contributed to those campaigns. Are there so few people in town that does not see (or care) what has been going on? Apparently, since Middletown has been on this same path for years. I can't see that there will be much improvement for years to come with all these like minded people running the show. I wish I could have stuck my head thru the TV and told the incumbents at the last forum to talk to a couple of small business owners I know and let them tell how business unfriendly Middletown is. I'm sure there are some businesses that haven't had any problems but council hasn't done much to improve their image.

TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 11:09pm
If AJ is getting out, and working this hard now, just imagine what he'll do for Middletown as a councilman.

Do you see any other candidates that are as motivated?  I don't
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 12:11am

I would have to agree with you, Tudor Brown.

I find it exceptionally accepting as a citizen that Mr. Smith raised the most money in the city, but not from your institutional, status quo, good ol' boy donors.

Think about it, he didn’t take a dime from Wainscott, McCoy, McNeil, Cohen, Akers, any of them. He's definitely the change we need on City Council. I'm rooting for you, Mr. Smith.Thumbs%20Up

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Ice Box Ice Box wrote:

Anybody know why Nagy, Soppanish and Barge decided not to file?
Mr./Ms. Icebox:
Your question was answered in the second post before you asked this question.  Perhaps you didn't believe me, or perhaps you think you know more.

The reasoning behind my answer relied on my life experience through following many campaigns, and especially local campaigns in small municipalities.  Since you seem to think you may know better, I have since checked the ORC and found that I was correct.

You can see for yourself at,  http://66.161.141.185/orc/3517.10 !

ORC Section 3710(A)(3) states, in part:
The statement required under division (A)(1) of this section shall not be required of any campaign committee, political action committee, legislative campaign fund, political party, or political contributing entity that has received contributions of less than one thousand dollars and has made expenditures of less than one thousand dollars at the close of business on the twentieth day before the election.
I hope that this helps you to understand.
mtownsupporter View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownsupporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 4:58pm
IceBox and Tudor Brown, I absolutely agree with you!  I have been so impressed with how AJ has organized and implemented his campaign.  He has taken the experience he has gained on the national level and combined it with his passion for improving Middletown to really shown just how serious he is about making and supporting change in the community.  Go AJ!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 5:04pm
Ice Box I see enough names on Smith's list to make me go .......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Just look at the number 1 contributor a guy named Dillman.......got to keep an eye on that one. Big%20smile
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 7:25pm
I know AJ very well, and while I admire his spunk he likes being in the limelight. Maybe in time once he has real life experience and a college degree or just some advanced education, he might be ready to run this city. It concerns me greatly that grown adults support a 20 year old with no life experience. It makes me wonder how is really coaching him? I want some folks on council who know how to sit across from business folks and work to create jobs. My picks

Soppanish
Laubach
Barge
Nagy

We need a change and these guys will be a breath of fresh air!

JMO
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 7:47pm
Smartman, I'm certain that you don't know as much as you claim, too. I also know Mr. Smith, and he does not come across as someone that like's being in the "limelight." Keep in mind that he's 20 years old, has a campaign office, raised the most money out of all the candidates in the race, had the chairman of the Ohio Democratic Party at his office, etc. -- All of which are worthy of press, or "limelight."

Just think, how much more worse could he be compared to what we have? If he's not better (which I highly doubt) then we get rid off him, no different than the others.

Pacman, of course Mr. Smith's donors would raise an eyebrow for some, including myself. However, I know Mr. Smith and I don't think for one second that those donations would compromise the integrity of his campaign or the type of councilman he will be. It takes money to run campaigns, plain and simple. I'm just happy that the good ol' boys aren't funding his campaign. That alone speaks volumes about him!

GOOD LUCK, MR. SMITH! Thumbs%20Up
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 7:57pm
I can't vote for or against Mr. Smith.  What does he do for a living?
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 8:05pm
He's a small business owner, ASJ & Associates, LLC. That was mentioned in his profile done by the Middletown Journal sometime over the last few weeks.

I'm not 100% sure about all the work his company does, however, I know that a lot of it is political work. He also promised me, (which was a prerequisite of getting my support) that he would start school at Miami in January. He's going to go far, definitely a man that deserves our support.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 8:16pm
Ice Box, He's been going to start school for 2 years. Every chance he gets to have his, picture in the paper, his name in the paper that stops school. I know serveral influential people that had made arrangements for him to go to school a year and a half ago. He blew them off. I really doubt that he will attend school as long as he can see his name in print. And I do question his bio on his web page. There are discrepencies that I cannot discuss.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic