FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Endorsements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Endorsements
    Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 10:42am

As for the city election this year I have been keeping up with the issues, reading the paper, and watching the forums. I feel it is time to STOP having the Middletown Journal and Unions endorsing candidates. Or anyone else for that matter. My reason for this is 1-Once again it falls back on who you are (known names) whether you have done anything significant or not  2-  I know for a fact that the firefighter union 336 DID NOT interview all the candidates. So how do they expect me to believe that their endorsement was a fair and honest choice. NO WAY.  Of course not everyone knows that because the Journal surely wouldn't report that and Mr Harvey of Local 336 isn't going to tell you that.  So once again the back door hand shaking money passing who knows who prevails.  I for one do not let these endorsements influence my vote whatsoever.  Voters should use their own head and not let this sway their vote.

I have one more opinion.  Campaign finances.  If a candidate has to spend big bucks to win a council seat in Middletown then they aren't trying to win on their own merit.  We need people on council and in our administration that aren't influenced by who you are or how much money you have.  And I don't care if you own a business in town or have already been on council and think you have the most experience. Our past & current council and administration hasn't had any WOW factor. Their tunnel vision will continue if we vote in the same like minded people. It is time to shake things up.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 2:23pm
tootie - To address the campaign finance issue...anyone who is unknown and running for office,yes even in Middeltown,has to spend money in order to get the coverage. Advertising is not cheap. Signs,mailers of all types,posters whatever is expensive and in some cases a necessity. Think of it as a presidential campaign,but on a much smaller scale,would you vote for someone to be president that you never heard of ? Plus it gets the people involved,you can go to work for a candidate and help get them elected,pass out flyers or whatever.

I do agree with you Middeltown is in bad need for change. But as I've stated before the change will never happen until the old money people and their protege are gone. A handful of people are and have been running this town for decades and they do not like change. If you've been around long enough you know exactly who I'm refering to.

I agree also that unions and city employees should be prohibited from endorsing any candidate and any issue. As a former union member I was always vocal about schools,firemen and policemen being union. None of the three should have ever been allowed to be part of a union. 
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2009 at 2:56pm
My, my, my, the Journal has done it again. Why do they always endorse the machine funded candidates?  --  I guess that's not true in Soppanish's case seeing how he didn't file. I wonder who's backing his campaign..? I heard that Mike Scorti was funding it.

I'm rooting for Barge, Smith, Labauch & Nagy!

Armbruster - More of the same Pig

Soppanish - Incompetent Clown

Marconi - More of the same Confused

Picard - More of the same Question

Lets clean house, boys! WOOOOHHHHHH

tootie View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tootie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:55pm
Hermes,
 I understand your point about the finances. It does take some money for the usual needs for a campaign. I just think it is ridiculous for anyone to need the thousands of dollars that were raised in the last election by Mulligan and Becker. So far I don't think any of the candidates have been over the top in funds from what as been reported. I'll reserve my final judgement until the final tally is in.

You hit the big nail on the head about the old money and yeah, I know who they are. It is a shame that they think everything is fine and dandy. This city has't progressed under their watch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic