FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Remove The City Planner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remove The City Planner
    Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 7:01am
To Members of City Council:
      It is one thing for Council to ignore citizens who speak up at Citizen's Comments at Council Meetings and regard them demeaningly as "the usual suspects" but what is happening now cannot be further ignored by Council without dereliction of duty.
      Many of us have complained for a very long time that the city is business unfriendly only to be ignored by Council and to have the incumbents to give us the campaign rhetoric that Council is business friendly and are addressing that. Well, it needs to be addressed more directly and firmly.
      Council cannot ignore nor deny what happened last week at the City Planning Meeting.
A host of "movers and Shakers" from the East side of I75 in our Renaissance District soundly blasted the proposed rezoning insanity as proposed by our City Planner Marty Kohler.  They stated and demonstrated clearly that the city by allowing an attempt at such bizarre zoning changes to their properties were ridiculous and they would not stand for it and wanted the city to stay out of their business. Now, incumbents you can further beat your drum that the only ones who think that Middletown is business unfriendly are those who don't want to comply with regulations and codes. Well, these people don't want to comply with the foolishness that was proposed. Let's hear you denounce them. You won't do it because its too hot a political potato for you to handle. Your silence will show the hypocrisy of it all or it will show your wishy washy baloney.. 
        It is preposterous to conceive that Marty Kohler could have gotten that far in his proposal without the City Planning Comission, The City manager and City Council not stopping him from embarrassing the city like this. Lennie Robinson, the McDonals's representative, the motel owners and the doctors as well as other property owners on the East side along Commerce Drive made their case so strongly that it was unaswerable. Mr. Kohler looked like a school child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. His response was pathetic.
         I have stated for years that Mr. Kohler is the most dangerous man in the city. Everything his hand touches has brought Middletown down and down and down. The East side, the downtown Mall, Lake Mistake, the downtown revitalization, HUD, CDBG, Section 8,  the Middletown Cemetary, etc., etc., all have his fingerprints all over them and all have been a failure. It is time for Mr. Kohler to resign or be fired. The City Council, the City Manager must step up to the plate and remove Mr. Kohler and those responsible for the
retaliation to citizens of this city regarding the Middletown Cemetary.. When solid citizens like Lennie Robinson and Don Thompson stand up to be counted City Council and the City manager must act responsibly. Saying that no more staff will be alloted to this issue is an evasion of responsiblity.We must have performance and accountability and those that have acted irresponsibly and against the law (retaliation is a violation of the RICO laws it is gangsterism) must not be allowed to continue to corrupt our city government. I call for Mr. Kohler's dismissal and ask all others to write, call and speak out accordingly. Enough is enough.
         Paul Nagy   
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 7:29am
Good Morning Paul -

Just like Miss Vivian, I also know a little something about senior City staff retaliation for exposing a number of major HUD problems during my employment from 1/2/2007 through 1/20/2009.  Working with the now-defunct HUD Consolidated Planning Committee, much was exposed about waste and misguided project actitivites that occured for a number of years prior to my hiring.  Nobody from the City Council or senior City staff has ever refuted anything that I have presented to MiddletownUSA as a former employee of the Planning Department.

You're a breath of fresh air that the SHAKERS AND MOVERS CLUB is afraid of.  You speak the truth!.
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 8:46am
Nelson,
      The philosophy is: when you can't answer it, don't answer it.
       Paul Nagy
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 9:02am
It would behoove everyone to watch this portion of the planning commission meeting.  There are actually two parts, this is part two:

I had to chuckle at Kohler when asked a direct question he gave the good old city motto,
"We are not setup for discussion here."  It seems that when it comes to discussion with citizens the city is never setup to answer a question or hold a discussion unless it is behind closed doors, this is quite disheartening.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 9:13am
Support Paul Nagy!

I challenge everyone on this blog to financially support Paul!

I've made a financial commitment to him and offer the same to other under-funded City Council candidates despite my current situation.  May many of you give what you can as well.

I'm also releasing some interesting reading materials to substantiate my allegations regarding local HUD issues.  If you're reading this Mr. Adkins, please know that my lack of money to (temporarily) proceed legally won't stop me from trying to expose the truth.  You might be surprised by what you read?
Nelson Self
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:26am
Paul....You are absolutely correct!!
Kohler is an embarrassment to the city. I am aware of some of his decisions (preferences) and have posted as such. What is really scary is his decisions that we aren't aware of yet!!
You would think the manager and council would take note!!  NOT!!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 10:38am
Thanks for posting that video wasteful. How is it even possible for this city to operate the way that it does ? I loved Lenny Robinson presentation. Everything he said was point on and directed directly to Kohler. Again I just don't get it. My first reaction is to think "ok,what is to be gained and by whom ?" My second thought is,"are these people insane ?" (refering to Kohler and planning board)

As several said on that video,"nothing about the rezoning makes sense".  (Unless of course you plan to force people out of business then come in and buy up the land at very cheap prices)
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 11:19am
Mr Nagy:  I am behind you 100%.  I have said for along time that Mr  Kohler should have been gone along time ago. he has been killing this city for some time now. Take a broom and sweep his ass out the door,long time over do.
transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 12:06pm
Paul, in your comments you say "It is preposterous to conceive that Marty Kohler could have gotten that far in his proposal without the City Planning Comission, The City manager and City Council not stopping him from embarrassing the city like this" yet you are only asking for his dismissal.  Mr. Kohler takes direction from above and the proposal also has economic development implications therefore why only him?  Maybe he was just the employee asked to proceed with this?   
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:08pm
God bless you Impala SS.

You remain in our thoughts and prayers!

Miracles do happen!

God bless you and yours also Paul.

You and yours are in our thoughts and prayers too!

I pray for God's miracle healing power to be bestowed upon Impala SS and the Nagy family!

Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:37pm
Hey Paul,
By me replying to this maybe kind of conspicuousSmile
However, I believe there are a lot of points that haven't been made. In watching the planning commission meeting I observed Mr Kohler at the beginning was in total control. His job in the planning dept. is to make sure everyone effected is contacted not just 3 property owners. When Lenny Robinson got up and asked him face to face "what is his real agenda for rezoning these parcels" he got no reply. He asked Marty another question " by rezoning the church property they would have to move their parking behind the building, right?" Marty replied "we aren't set up for this type of dialogue". If it had not been for Lenny robinson contacting all the people that he did that would have passed thru zoning as fast as everything else does thru an emergency legislation. Unfortunately I have to agree that it is not just Marty Kohler although he does play a big part. Where was Mike Robinette when this was such a hot button item with the severity of the zoning change, where was his input? It all boils down once again to a few (PROPERTY OWNERS).  Who are these owners that did get contacted and didn't object to the rezoning.  Folks, just like the Middletown Cemetary. It is now fenced off with restricted hours. Before our administration gets done with these ridiculous zoning changes and ordinances they will have built a fence around the whole city just for a few individuals' benefit. I still can't believe  Marty Kohler and the staff would have recommended to approve this. This just blows my mind. Does anybody remember a song from the 70's "Signs". Signs, signs, everywhere a sign. Blocking out the scenery, out of sight out of mind. Who would do that? People creating the signs.  So I tucked my hair up under my hat and went in to ask them why? They said "Man, you must be some kind of a sinner". As I pulled off my hat, I said "imagine that" wondered down the street, looking at all those signs. That blew my mind. "                   Folks, it is time for the people to get out and vote, make the changes that are necessary and restore our city back to our all american heritage. It is the power of the people not just a few that paves the way to our future.  Thank you.
Gary Barge
1st Ward Candidate
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 1:49pm
Vote for Gary Barge!

He will be the independent voice who represents all Ward One residents!
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 4:31pm
Transplant,
        Yes, Marty Kohler takes some orders from above but he gets a lot of leeway from them. I think you are correct all of Council and the Administration needs to be held accountable to the citizens. We need to clean house. This would be a good place to start.
         Thank you.
         Paul Nagy

transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2009 at 5:21pm

Kohler often gets a bad rap on this forum.  Perhaps some is justified but he has either received direction from above or at least has approached the economic development department and city manager on issues and they have been ok'ed by them.  Maybe there is more to it but I find it hard to believe that its all Kohler.  Hopefully you get on council to find out. 

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 12:28am
Could it be that property owners are out for themselves and not for the better of the city? I mean look at the sh*t that's been built around Middletown over the years.

Giving property owners exactly what they want in terms of zoning isn't always a good thing. They are out to maximize their dollar.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 7:49am
Talk with those in Warren County and they will be glad to tell you why Mr. Kohler left.
He now needs to leave Middltown ASAP.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 8:36am
swohio75 every property owner that spoke against the change if I remember correctly was West of Union Rd.  That area is basically built up for the most part from Grace Baptist Church to the end of Commerce Dr.   Grace Baptist Church you can't even see any of there buildings from Union Rd., not the Church, not the School, not their Bus facility, none. and I would say they are sacrificing enough as it is for this project.  To me this sounds like the city is trying to force out businesses they may not want on Commerce and making redevelopment/development a lot more expensive.

From what I hear the Ramada wants to demo their current facility and build a new one anyone else heard that?

You already have CVS which appears to go against the new zoning just built and Oh God they have parking in the front.

Businesses can't have vehicles over 7 ft tall.........huh that sure excludes a lot of businesses.  At least they relaxed that so truckers don't have to leave their rigs on I-75 and walk to a Hotel.  Some of this stuff is just down right laughable.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 9:15am
I also heard Ramada wants a new facility.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 9:28am
swohio--businesses in Middietown MUST fend for themselves, because city admin policy is not orderly, timely while conflicting and confusing at best.  Obvious favoritism and preference by Mr.Kohler's planning dept. is clear and slanted, exemplified by the CVS situation, signage for the Paychex complex and development companies to the unbelievable emergency variances granted to the Atrium when they built later structures without permits and with complete disregard to material usage and design.

These east end successful business owners need to align themselves with the entities west of their situation to present a clear coalition representing the confusing and conflicting direction of the planning dept. and planning commission. Where is our local Chamber on these vital business issues?

All concepts desired by business and property owners are not detrimental to the city, just as all city policy is not beneficial, clear or well-structured. There is enough concern throughout the city's business community to red flag admin that there are legit problems and issues with the actions and direction of our planning dept.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

From what I hear the Ramada wants to demo their current facility and build a new one anyone else heard that?
Aye, and there's the rub, Pacman!!!
If any business (or resident, as far as that goes) demolishes, rebuilds, adds to or even SUBSTANTIALLY REMODELS a structure, there goes their "grandfather status" and that means that they will have to abide by all of the NEW restrictions!!!
This not only tricks-***** the Ramada, but also makes their property much less valuable to ANYONE who may want to use it for ANYTHING other than EXACTLY what, and AS, it is. (No adequate convenience of parking for a hotel or motel, and must be hidden from I-75, for example.)

That's what Ms. Burke, as one of the smaller business owners, was trying to point out!  Her small lot on Market St. would be virtually worthless under the new restrictions since it is too small for virtually ANYTHING on its own.  Someone would have to buy up two, or even three, in a row to make it worth owning for anything other that its current use.  That certainly narrows prospective buyers to those with much DEEPER pockets.

Hmm...I wonder if anyone at city hall, or on the planning commission, has made any insultingly LOW offers out that way lately???  (Especially PRIOR to that zoning hearing.)  Or maybe some obscure "alphabet" group? 

(An "alphabet group", for those who may not know, is a group such as an LLC or other legal entity formed with an obscure name such as "TMD Group, LLC" or "XYZ, Inc." often formed to "hide the identity of the true owners, sometimes to stay under the law".  (BUT definitely NEVER involving any city officials in Middletown, and I would NEVER mean to suggest that!!!)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 11:07am
I will tell you as a former business owner I would never invest my money here in Middletown after watching the latest planning commission meeting and the action taken by Mr. Kohler. Where are our business leaders? Why are they letting Mr. Kohler contine his attack on Middletown property owners?
HOW MIDDLETOWN BUSINESS FRIENDLY WAS THAT MEETING?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 11:23am
Look no further than the Local Chamber Vivian.  One of the main reasons that I will not renew my membership is their lack of action or even to take a Public Stance on issues which affect the Local Business Market.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2009 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

You already have CVS which appears to go against the new zoning just built and Oh God they have parking in the front.
Right you Are, Pacman!!!

And not only do both CVS and Atrium have parking in the front, but also both CVS and Atrium have "Drive up service", yet Kohler either wasn't smart enough or wasn't honest enough to allow the same for a fast-food restaurant at an interstate exit (at least not until exposed during the hearing).  Either way (stupid or dishonest) he is unqualified and should be discharged (if unqualified due to stupidity) and charged (if discharged due to dishonesty)!!!

All of his attempts to "explain it away" as being a "work in progress" and an attempt to gather input just don't cut it.  ANYONE claiming qualifications in zoning should be smart enough to realize that a McDonalds needs a drive-up just as much as a drug store or an ER, even on the FIRST DRAFT!  Even Middletown city council members should be able to see through this pitiful ruse of an explanation.  This is even more blatant than the now defunct barbeque joint's in-your-face violations that everyone at city hall CHOSE to ignore.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 1:09am
It is simply beyond belief that The Middletown Journal has NOT published even one single word on this subject so critical to the future of the city of Middletown!!! Question
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2009 at 6:42pm
I watched the recording of the first half of the last zoning meeting last night, and Kohler's performance was even worse than has been described.  More on this later, but Nagy is right on the mark here!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic