FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Historic cemetery dispute continues to simmer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historic cemetery dispute continues to simmer
    Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 4:47am

Historic cemetery dispute continues to simmer

By Ed Richter, Staff Writer 9:15 PM Monday, October 26, 2009

The dispute between the city and a group of residents who have been taking care of the Historic Middletown Cemetery is getting worse, since the city pulled out several flower beds and replaced them with grass.

Earlier this month, city crews took out nearly $5,000 in plants that were reportedly overgrown. Some of the flower bulbs were transplanted at other city parks, according to David Duritsch, city public works and utilities director.

He said the city has limited funds to maintain the cemetery and chose to plant grass for easier maintenance, rather than maintaining the flower beds.

Last week, Middletown City Council members heard complaints from several residents concerned about the cemetery and its upkeep. The First Avenue cemetery is the final resting place for 7,000 people, including many of the city’s founding families and industrialists and more than 230 military veterans of the Revolutionary through the Vietnam wars.

Don Thompson questioned the actions of the Public Works Department, calling it “simply deplorable and, in my view, unprofessional and unethical.”

“In my view, the city leadership should be ashamed — ashamed of their allowing the cemetery vault building to be ready to fall down, allowing gravestones to be loosened, broken and tossed around just so lawn-mowers can mow at 30 mph, unilaterally destroying flower beds that volunteers provided to enhance cemetery grounds, and ignoring their responsibility for proper cemetery management,” Thompson said.

Thompson challenged city officials to remedy the situation before Memorial Day in May 2010.

Another resident whose husband is buried there, Marjorie Root Anderson of Woodburn Avenue, called the cemetery “an absolute disgrace.”

She said an Veterans Affairs marker for her husband’s grave was ordered, but was placed on the wrong grave.

Anderson also said “the vault is the focal point (of the cemetery) and should not be bulldozed as requested by the mayor or city manager.”

“Where did you find the time to destroy this (to pull out the flower beds,” she asked.

Duritsch said was no reason for city crews to be touching gravestones.

Last spring, lead cemetery volunteer Vivian Moon, complained to council about the cemetery’s maintenance and eventually filed a complaint with the Ohio Cemetery Dispute Resolution Commission.

A hearing was slated for September, but was rescheduled at the city’s request. The hearing is now scheduled for Dec. 17 in Columbus.

Because the issue is in litigation before that commission, the city law department has advised council members and city employees against talking with Moon or making public comments on the issue.

City officials are making an effort to reach out to Moon to try to resolve the matter.

City Manager Judy Gilleland sent Moon an email last Friday seeking a mediation meeting with her and several others to discuss the matter.

Last Friday, Moon said she would be contacting other cemetery volunteers first before getting back with Gilleland.

Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2009 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Nelson R. Self Nelson R. Self wrote:

City Manager Judy Gilleland sent Moon an email last Friday seeking a mediation meeting with her and several others to discuss the matter.

Last Friday, Moon said she would be contacting other cemetery volunteers first before getting back with Gilleland.

I really hope that Ms. Moon doesn't fall for this.

Once an "action" has been filed, and both sides have representation, it is NEVER a good idea for the opposing parties to contact each other directly!!!

ALL contact should be between the ATTORNEYS!!!

Frankly, I'd be amazed if City Manager Gilleland didn't know this!!!  It makes me wonder if this is a ruse to try to undermine Ms. Moon's efforts.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2009 at 11:53pm
If they didn't have the time to "maintain" the flowers at the cemetary why did they plant them somewhere else to be "maintained"? Does that just scream of vindictiveness!!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 5:24am
Right you are, Wannaknow!!!

And now they reveal this latest boondoggle...oops, I mean "plan" for downtown which shows this very same cemetery as "GREEN SPACE"!!!  It also shows acres and acres of other new "GREEN SPACE" downtown with lush landscaping that must be maintained!!!  How in the world do they think they will be able to do it when they are crying that they cannot maintain what they NOW have???

It won't be with new JOBS!!!  They reveal that they are planning to run the few remaining businesses OUT of downtown by changing them to RESIDENTIAL Zoning!!! 

LOOK AT the MAP!!!  It's good-bye Diver's Feed and Coal, Denny Lumber, etc., and HELLO PROJECTS!!!  Once again, Kohler proves that he and his cronies are determined to DRIVE all blue-collar jobs OUT of Middletown!!!  Well, I suppose that he'll use the old "work-in-progress, waiting for citizen input" excuse again!!! 

(I wonder if Diver's carries tar or feathers?)
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 6:43am
Downtown%20Middletown%20Strategic%20Plan%20Development%20Map%20A%20forum%20is%20scheduled%20for%20Wednesday,%20Oct.%2028%20to%20gather%20community%20input%20on%20the%20proposed%20downtown%20Middletown%20revitalization.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 7:54am

Mr. Presta

My fight with the City is far from over. Those at the City Hall have done some really bad things over the years and they now don't want or feel they need to explain to the public.
It is evident after the last council meeting that they do not care about the pain they have caused over the years to the family members of the Middletown Cemetery.
They stole the Perpetual Care Fund, they stole the Middletown Cemetery Fund and then they stole the beauty and plants from the Middletown Cemetery.
WE WANT JUSTICE FOR THE CRIMES THAT HAVE BEEN COMMITTED.                            
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 7:17am
In my opinion the city manager asking directly for mediation is a way of showing that she is not taking this seriously.  It is not just Vivian that is hurt by all of this - it is the families of each and every person that is buried there.  The city manager does not want to spend the money there, she wants it spent elsewhere - this is absurd.  If someone came and dug up the plants at her house she would be calling the police - well the residents at the cemetary can not - that does not mean they deserve to be treated any less. 
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 2:35pm

When council decides to listen to the people of the city is when Hell freezes over.

rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 2:45pm
Can the city re-zone areas that effect businesses such as Diver's and Denny Lumber that have been established at least since I was a child, if not longer?  I understand if the business were to leave or not allowing new businesses.  But these companies have been there at least 30 years.  Run out reputable businesses and let some of the shadier places stay?? Then again, I guess that speaks mountains in itself.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 2:49pm
City seems to do as they please. They can call it a "EMERGENCY".Seems like thats all they do anyway.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 3:25pm
Mike Presta: LOOK AT the MAP!!!  It's good-bye Diver's Feed and Coal, Denny Lumber, etc., and HELLO PROJECTS!!!  Once again, Kohler proves that he and his cronies are determined to DRIVE all blue-collar jobs OUT of Middletown!!!  Well, I suppose that he'll use the old "work-in-progress, waiting for citizen input" excuse again!!! 

I'm sure Mr Kohler will be glad to rent one of these apartments that will be located right next to these train tracks...I live across from these train tracks and I can tell you they will never sleep again because of the noise level and then you have the noise from Cohen Bros. also. The train horns will blow them out of bed...even poor people need to sleep Mr. Kohler...This entire plan is TERRIBLE.
Then we have the current businesses that would be closed or run off by this plan...Mr. Kohler you need to GO ASAP.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 5:07pm
But according to "Mister(s) Armbruster and Marconi we are business friendly town.  Its true, I just watched their speeches being aired on TV Middletown.  They said the City of Middletown don't run businesses out of town.  The businesses leave because they don't want to comply with the City's rules.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 5:09pm
Yes--that is sarcasm--I think Fat Tony and Lazy Jim are full of BS.  Make up BS rules to apply to businesses that make no sense or are not friendly to their business to make them want to leave
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 3:11am

“City officials are making an effort to reach out to Moon to try to resolve the matter.
    Last Friday, Moon said she would be contacting other cemetery volunteers first before getting back with Gilleland.”

Well, it seems that Ms Gilleland really didn’t want to talk at all just wanted to make herself and council look good in the papers before the election.
  We have requested for more information about all the missing plants however Ms. Gilleland and Mr.
Duritsch have refused to investigate this matter further.They seem to like their names in the paper and on TV.
  You must also wonder why the city council has not requested an investigation of this matter?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic