FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Dem House Health Care Bill at 1990 Pages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Dem House Health Care Bill at 1990 Pages
    Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 11:45am
And they want a vote next week and send it to the Prez by 11-11.  Typical government action vote and don't even know what you are voting for. 

John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 12:43pm
The dems don't have time to read all the fine print. They have other 'screw the small business person' bills to get approved too. Like cap and trade and more stimulus plans that don't stimulate anything except hatred of big government spending.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 1:05pm
I love this stuff. There have been approximently 60 bills in the last 20 years that have been 2000+  pages. The orginal Medicare bill was 3500 and Medicad 2800.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 1:28pm
Sorry, I forgot to mention, the following legislation was also passed over the objection and rejection of the Republican faction of Congress at the time. Social Security, 1932 / The Civil Rights Act, 1965 / The Voting Rights Act, 1966 /  The Fair Housing Act, 1968 /  Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990 /  These are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head,but I would think it's safe to say that most of the progressive legislation that has served millions of our fellow American citizens over the years has come over the objection of a Republican Congress. Have a nice day.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 1:41pm
As to the Stimulus thing, I recall it was designed to pick up after the cost of a 1.4 trillion ginned-up war, the worst economic meltdown since the Great Depression, millions of jobs lost, homes forclosed, retirement saving's gone and God only knows what's next in  the Bush/Cheny legacy of  the P&A war. JMO
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 2:07pm
2000+ are you one of those people that think what ever obama and his liberal buddies are doing to this Country can be justified because of what republicans and george w. did in the past? Could it be possible that both bush,obama and both parties are wrong ? We need to vote on people to represent us and not because of the party they belong to.
Mr.PawnBroker View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.PawnBroker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by 2000+ 2000+ wrote:

Sorry, I forgot to mention, the following legislation was also passed over the objection and rejection of the Republican faction of Congress at the time. Social Security, 1932 / The Civil Rights Act, 1965 / The Voting Rights Act, 1966 /  The Fair Housing Act, 1968 /  Americans with Disabilities Act, 1990 /  These are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head,but I would think it's safe to say that most of the progressive legislation that has served millions of our fellow American citizens over the years has come over the objection of a Republican Congress. Have a nice day.

Actually, democrats tried to holdup the passage of the Civil Rights Act. And by % more republicans voted for it than did democrats as well as the Voting Act. And tell your kids how great democrats are when they have to pay back all this spending they're doing. Have a nice day.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 2:52pm
http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/29/house-democratic-bill-ceremony-closed-public/?feat=home_top5_read
Originally published 12:53 p.m., October 29, 2009, updated 01:00 p.m., October 29, 2009

House health bill ceremony closed to public

House Democrats blocked the public from attending the unveiling ceremony of their health-care bill Thursday morning, allowing only pre-approved visitors whose names appeared on lists to enter the event at the West side of the Capitol.

The audience at the crowded press conference included Hill staffers, union workers, health care providers and students, according to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who thanked them for attending.

Mrs. Pelosi and other Democratic leaders announced the chamber's long-awaited version of a health care overhaul, which would expand insurance coverage to 36 million uninsured Americans, costing less than $900 billion over 10 years.

The West side of the Capitol - the area where President Barack Obama was inaugurated - is traditionally open to the public. But the entrances were blocked off Thursday morning by metal fences, with Capitol police officers standing next to staff members holding clipboards with lists of approved attendees.

Reporters with press badges were able to get in.

Democrats repeatedly touted the openness of the development of their health care bill, which House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer called "the most deliberative, transparent and open process" he had seen in his career on Capitol Hill.

A video posted on YouTube by Minority Whip Eric Cantor's office depicted a Republican staffer attempting to attend the press conference and being turned away by a police officer.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 2:54pm
Merrell Wood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 3:58pm
I've been away for a while and I just gotta jump in here. The stuff you folks throw around
has always amused me, espically when I'm own my own soapbox, However what's interesting is that someone can make a statement about something specific, even factual, and maybe get 19 out of 20  of their pronouncements right based upon publically acceptable  information .......  and unfortunantly it seems that most of the responces are often based alone party line. Obviously it has a lot to do with our own personal DNA, but it also has become so affected by who we hang out with and by where we get our everyday news. If I may quote myself from my "guest column" in the Middletown Journal, October 9th. 

"The expansive and divergent nature of our talk radio and television news sources allow people of all political persuasions to immerse themselves in an ocean of like minded reporting and analysis. A diffused media is a double edged sword: It permits more viewpoints to be heard, but it also fosters polarization, since it enables people to get their news primarily from sources that share their beliefs. This selective saturation of information leaves us convinced that we are right and incredulous at the notion that others do not see the world as we do; hence the angry polarization of our nation's political conversation."

JMO

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 4:41pm
I have to chuckle, Merrell you fit you own analysis above to a "T", right down the Liberal line, maybe even well left of center.  Let me guess you are an MSNBC, NBC, Huffington Post, DailyKos.com kind of guy.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 4:54pm

Wasteful,  I only get my news from Middletown USA.   All kidding aside, are you telling us your "take" on the world holds no prejudice as to your news source? I don't think I've ever met someone of that ilk...

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 5:18pm

Nope Merrell I didn't say that.  I watch various News stations EVERYDAY.....EVERYDAY.  I am definitely Conservative and proud of it.  I may be Conservative but I also form my own opinion from various News Shows, from FOX, CNN and even MSNBC can't handle to much of them though watch Chris Matthews regularly just to get the other side.  Gave up Network news long ago once Peter Jennings passed away.

On the Net read Drudgereport.com, Politico.com, thehill.com, Dickmorris.com, Newt.org, etc.
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 8:55pm
Here you go Merrell, this is part of the problem with Libs.  Don't get me wrong Conervatives have some bomb throwers to but this stuff is comical and does nothing to improve the Liberal base or cause, except make die hard liberals get excited and start cheering.  While the rest of us sit here and shake our heads in amazement. 

Big%20smile
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 9:04pm
Pacman,  So what if "they" wouldn't let in an "unknown person"  Republican staffer who just shows up  into an invitation event. It's I gottach moment. Once again, who cares? Had I been a Democratic staffer and wanted in without a confermed reservation to the whatever of a whatever, I would have to assume I wouldn't get past the door either.
Talk about "nothing into something," or if you like, "something into nothing."
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 9:24pm
Wasteful, Please, I must call your attention back to my orginal post that started this dialogue. It's more about our political DNA or the news source that fits us best. I'm sure
you look as I do, at a variety of news sources but we all seem to fall into one or the other that best fits our taste in politics. Why don't you and I start up the "middle of the road" party? But then, I don't think many folks would show up.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrell Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 9:31pm
Who ever 2001+ is, please get back to your own identity
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 11:22pm

Obama,Pelosi and Reid liberals on steroids we can thank Mr.Bush for all three of them,even after Bush and his gang wrecked our economy and Country he is still getting the last laugh on us.Thanks George W. and to those that voted for him.God help us as a nation as these liberals foam at the mouth from being drunk from their new found power and there is no one to stop them.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 11:49pm
Gee 2000+ I think that is pretty much what I said.  What I don't get about some of you liberals here is when someone posts a news story that is actually written by a reporter and available to millions on the net or TV you have a fit about it.  There was no editorial comment by me or Pacman about Pelosi having Public access to the area blocked off.  A news story was just posted, I take it because Pacman found it interesting or maybe comical and petty as I did. 
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2009 at 11:55pm
Bocephus, the Dems/liberals will be their own undoing.   As far as wrecking the economy yes Bush had a hand in it but it was in the works long before Bush became President.  There is plenty of blame to go around on both sides for the economical mess.

If You think it is bad now just wait until the inflation hits it will be shades of Jimmy Carter all over again, if not worse.  You can't do and spend like Obama is and not pay the consequences for it.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 2:43am

Pelosi Health Care Bill Blows a Kiss to Trial Lawyers

by Capitol Confidential

The health care bill recently unveiled by Speaker Nancy Pelosi is over 1,900 pages for a reason. It is much easier to dispense goodies to favored interest groups if they are surrounded by a lot of legislative legalese. For example, check out this juicy morsel to the trial lawyers (page 1431-1433 of the bill):

Section 2531, entitled “Medical Liability Alternatives,” establishes an incentive program for states to adopt and implement alternatives to medical liability litigation. [But]…… a state is not eligible for the incentive payments if that state puts a law on the books that limits attorneys’ fees or imposes caps on damages.

So, you can’t try to seek alternatives to lawsuits if you’ve actually done something to implement alternatives to lawsuits. Brilliant! The trial lawyers must be very happy today!

While there is debate over the details, it is clear that medical malpractive lawsuits have some impact on driving health care costs higher. There are likely a number of procedures that are done simply as a defense against future possible litigation. Recall this from the Washington Post

“Lawmakers could save as much as $54 billion over the next decade by imposing an array of new limits on medical malpractice lawsuits, congressional budget analysts said today — a substantial sum that could help cover the cost of President Obama’s overhaul of the nation’s health system. New research shows that legal reforms would not only lower malpractice insurance premiums for medical providers, but would also spur providers to save money by ordering fewer tests and procedures aimed primarily at defending their decisions in court, Douglas Elmendorf, director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, wrote in a letter to Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah).”

Stay tuned. There are certainly many more terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad provisions in this massive bill.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 4:52pm
How can anyone know the difference between a Dem & Repub in DC ? I can't tell them apart anymore,they all act the same. Confused

Years ago I blamed the democrats, then I switched and blamed the republicans. Now I'm blaming both. I'm starting to think the real blame is on the American people for allowing it.

REVO-LU-CION !! Viva Le Americano !!! Unitas de Los Tados !!! Blah,blah,blah  LOL
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

How can anyone know the difference between a Dem & Repub in DC ? I can't tell them apart anymore,they all act the same. Confused

Years ago I blamed the democrats, then I switched and blamed the republicans. Now I'm blaming both. I'm starting to think the real blame is on the American people for allowing it.

REVO-LU-CION !! Viva Le Americano !!! Unitas de Los Tados !!! Blah,blah,blah  LOL

Wow, someone I can agree with! Too much BS and too many "useful Idiots"  on both sides!
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 8:58am
We need term limits on all these crooks in DC.But do you think they will vote for it? Too bad our founding fathers couldn't think of everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic