FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum at Renaissance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum at Renaissance
    Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 11:16am
I just had my first opportunity to watch the forum sponsored by the Cutler County Republican Party this past Monday night.

Mr. Nagy was silent until the end, but it was worth the wait to hear him.

This was, without a doubt, Mr. Nagy's FINEST HOUR!!! Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up Thumbs%20Up

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 1:32pm

I have watched the candidate forum at Renaissance, but since I plan to do a FULL recap of the campaigns by Monday afternoon, I will not post my usual analysis of this forum. However, there are a few points that I would like to make:

I was puzzled by the attendees in the gallery. My understanding is that this was sponsored by the Butler County Republicans, yet attendance by the extreme liberal wing of the party was rather prominent and the event was held in virtual secrecy from rank-and-file, conservative Republicans.

The format here was rather unique and loosely structured. I am unsure if there was an actual “moderator”, as once Mr. Barge (the first candidate to speak) finished his opening remarks, it seemed to be “catch-as-catch-can” with the more polite candidates getting much less “face time” than the ruder candidates.  Mr. Nagy (the last candidate to give his “opening” remarks) sat in silence until near the end and then eloquently gave his best presentation to date! It’s a shame that Mr. Nagy didn’t have this speech delivered with the same passion taped to play on TV over and over this weekend.

Mr. Picard: Made a new (and excellent) point: What’s the better way to spend a million? Tear down Swallens and the parking garage and end up with empty lot?? Or spend the same amount on the east side and end up with new jobs?? I think Mr. Picard would have been well-served to have made this point earlier in the campaign, developed it more fully, and talked about it repeatedly. 

Ms. Cathy Mulligan (a very well-educated woman with advanced degrees in mathematics, as well as being the mother of our present mayor) was in the audience. When I noticed that, which was after Mr. Marconi and Mr. Armbruster had already spouted their lines about “added jobs in Middletown” during their watch, I think that I would have tried to use this bit of serendipity.

I would have thanked her for being there, claimed that I was mathematically challenged, and asked her help in explaining what’s wrong with the following equation:

HIGHER payroll tax rate during incumbents’ term, PLUS 1,000 MORE jobs claimed during incumbents’ term EQUALS Tax Revenues continue to go DOWN.

Picard and Laubach both talked around the edges of this, but neither went “in for the kill”!

The best potential comedy of the night? Ms. King’s suggestion of a Flea Market in downtown Middletown!!! HA HA HA!!! Kohler and his elitist friend probably soiled their pants when they heard this!!!

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic