FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to Middletown politics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ice Box View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ice Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Welcome to Middletown politics
    Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 9:25am

By Ed Richter | Thursday, October 29, 2009, 12:02 PM

A.J. Smith, a candidate for the 2nd Ward seat on Middletown City Council received an expensive lesson in local politics.

Several weeks ago, his opponent John Soppanish, filed a complaint with the Ohio Elections Commission concerning the use of photographs in Smith’s campaign literature.

While a probable cause panel rejected Soppanish’s complaint, Smith ended up getting billed nearly $1,200 in legal fees to defend himself and his campaign.

In these hearings, the person filing the complaint has the burden of proof to convince the panel there was a violation of the elections law. However, Soppanish was not at the hearing and was not required to be there, although it was strongly encouraged. Soppanish was at a meeting with The Journal’s editorial board to discuss the Middletown city charter amendment.

If anything, it goes to show folks that candidates need to be prepared financially for setbacks or potential legal challenges.

Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 11:02am

Having  campaigned with Obama, Which Mr. Smith loves to remind people of, he should be well aware of the game and how its played. He Raised all that money he can pay the bill.

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 12:31pm
Where is the map of the Wards? I just moved to Middletown and I have no idea what ward I live in.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by viper771 viper771 wrote:

Where is the map of the Wards? I just moved to Middletown and I have no idea what ward I live in.
Viper:

Here is a link to a ward map:

It is a "pdf" so you can easily enlarge it by simply clicking.  If you are still unsure, let me know the street names of the nearest intersection and I will tell you!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 8:50pm
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic