FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ashkicker why do we need.......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ashkicker why do we need.......
    Posted: Nov 28 2009 at 12:09pm
A Fire Chief that can now receive Paramedic pay?  Just curious as to why this would be instituted for a Fire Chief.  I would think he would be the last one in line to be performing any medical care at any scene and would be more concerned with overseeing the entire operation in a major incident.  How much is Paramedic Pay?

From City Work Book and Agenda 12-01-09

"Subsection (B) of new Section 16 of the Pay and Benefits Ordinance relating to

miscellaneous provisions is being changed to provide that the Chief of the Division of

Fire is eligible to receive paramedic certification pay. This benefit was provided under

the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the IAFF and it is being recommended that

this benefit be given to the Fire Chief so long as he maintains a paramedic’s certificate."

ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 12:02am
Wastefull,

Paramedic certification pay is $200 per year.  In a $8-9 million budget, $200 doesn't sound like much but I understand if you take of the pennies, the nickel and dimes will take care of themselves.

Two points on why he should receive pararmedic cert pay --
  1. Being in charge of a scene should be just that, being in charge.  How can he direct his minions if he doesn't know what a paramedic should be doing.
  2. The man in charge should know every aspect of the job he is supervisoring.  It would be hard to issue directives to the department if he isn't up on paramedic skills or is not even a paramedic.

Middletown is unique in that 79 out of 81 fire fighters are state certified paramedics.  In most departments, only those assigned to the medic units and a few extra are paramedics.  To be considered for employment in Middletown, you must have your state paramedic certification and maintain that certification for 12 years.  Middletown used to send fire fighters to Butler Tech to receive that certification.  Middletown paid for the schooling and paid overtime for the time fire fighters were in class.  That change saved the City thousands of $ per new employee.  We receive our continuing education from in-house instructors as well as doctors and instructors from the Atrium.

The biggest plus to the paramedic program in Middletown is the response you receive when you call for help.  When an engine is dispatched to assist the medic unit, you will have normally 5 paramedics at the scene to care for you.

I hope this answers your question,
ashkicker 
transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 12:16am
pay for the schooling plus pay overtime for those to attend the class that was already paid for by the city?  wish my schooling would have been paid for and that i would have received pay to be there let alone overtime pay.  wow.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2009 at 1:10pm
"Middletown used to send"

Key phrase, "used to"
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2009 at 7:01am
Ashkicker what happens at the end of 12 years that you no longer need to have the certification?  I also don't see the need for a Chief to be directing Paramedics in the treatment of the injured.  Many CEOs couldn't find their way thru a building in a company they oversee let alone do the job of many of the their employees.
This would be like telling the Chief of Police he must be K-9, Swat, Dive Team, Expert marksman, etc. qualified or he could not be Chief or supervise his men.
ashkicker View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 8:24pm
Wasteful,

At the end of twelve years, or when a fire fighter is promoted to an Officer, he/she can elect to downgrade to an EMT - Basic or continue to train and test for ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support) to keep his/her Paramedic status.  Only two fire fighters in Middletown have elected to drop from EMT - Paramedic to EMT - Basic.

Do you think if the CEO of a company could find their way around the building or do the job his employees were doing, he/she would be a better boss?  Contact with the workere bees could be the best way to see what is actually going on in his/her business.

Do you think if the Police Chief were trained in "K-9, Swat, Dive Team, Expert marksman, etc." he/she might be a better supervisor?

I think so.

ashkicker

justwatching View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justwatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2009 at 9:16pm
I normally don't agree with more tax spending that is not needed, but... I have to agree with Ashkicker on this one. I would much rather have a CEO know how to do every job at his company and the police chief be certified in all the aforementioned areas... unfortunately this is just not feasible (well, the CEO is sometimes). It would not be cost effective to have the police chief certify in so many areas. It is, however, cost effective to have the fie chief be able to certify as a paramedic. $200 a year is a VERY small price to pay in my opinion, and if the fire chief happens to be first on scene when I need him, I'd happy pay the entire $200 myself.
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2009 at 12:27am
I know I am one to usually bust the chops of the FD, but I know the Asst Chief has been first on the scene and I could easily see the Chief being first on the scene as any officer.  More than likely the chief was already a paramedic so he will not need to have to go to school, just re-cert.  I believe it is money well spent.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic