FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AK Office Complex Demo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AK Office Complex Demo
    Posted: Dec 02 2009 at 10:49pm
Anyone else catch this?

AK Steel Curtis Street Building Demo
Great News! The AK Steel Company has informed us that they will begin demolition on several
of their Curtis Street properties on Monday, November 30. The demolition will include all
buildings EXCEPT the former HQ Building, the current Research Building and the Boiler House
which provides power to these buildings.   This is good news for the city because in general, if a
building cannot be reused, then green space is what we are seeking.   As you know, we struggle
to find funding for Brownfield sites and it is sometimes difficult for property owners to
appropriately maintain vacant buildings. The property will be returned to green space by the
end of January and we should see grass growing this spring.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 7:03am
We seem to be turning alot of Middletown into green space with lots of grass. The old hospital area, the downtown, various past manufacturing sites around town- all empty spaces now. I would imagine all the green space city leaders are creating around town will stay that way for many years as I see no large scale development of these areas happening for quite some time. There really isn't any reason for anyone to come to our town to develop on these properties, is there? We have put ourselves in the position of being a non-marketable town in many ways. Thanks city leaders!!!! While it may be a good thing to demolish an old structure that can't be rehabbed and no longer provides any modern day attraction, it is equally troubling that we are in a "tear everything in sight down- create big empty open fields" mentality. Need to find a logical balance of keeping/tearing down in all of this planning, don't we? I have the impression that Gilleland, Kohler and Robinette want to bulldoze the whole town. Is that the way to go?    What is the long term effect for the town with this type of mentality? It may be too late when we find the answer.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 8:39am
Vet
    The “New Five Year Plan” shows the area behind AK offices as a future site for low income housing units. However I believe that the land where these units will be built is owned by the Finkleman Group. So maybe AK is looking to sell this land to the City when it is cleared for future building of this type.
    You need to remember they still have CDBG Funds that they need to spend.
    And then we have the $19.1 million that they still may get...
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 11:11am
But Vivian- there are some of us that don't want any more low income project housing built in the city. On the contrary. Some of us that care, want the town to move in the OPPOSITE direction and do the things needed to attract more UPPER INCOME people to town. Now, I realize that city hall doesn't give a crap about what we long time citizens want for our town, especially the city hall people that are not native to town and have no vested interest in this town. That is why it is constantly suggested that we run these people out of town and replace them with people who are genuinely concerned with the town's future- ie- people who have lived here long enough to know the proper direction for the town to take. Until the council is totally gutted and replaced with people who care and as long as the council retains the services of the current city manager, planning director, law director and econ. dev. director, this town is going to continue to go down the drain. We citizen voters are helping their cause by re-electing the people who won't get rid of the city manager and her friends. Marconi was a start, but his ouster was trumped by the re-election of Armbruster which hurts the city as to correcting the problem. Picard probably won't help change things either. Becker, Jones and Mulligan need to be removed in the next election or we're in trouble for the next four years at a minimum. JMO
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 11:14am

If I had to put money on it, I’d say Kohler doesn’t want to want to bulldoze all of town.  He doesn’t strike me as having that type of thinking.  I understand he was very helpful and accommodating to the group that was trying to save the old library building.  At the same time, though, I do think he is a realist and acknowledges that adaptive re-use of some property would be difficult.

Now Robinette, on the other hand, I understand, believes that (at least downtown anyway) Central Avenue cannot support retail from the railroad tracks to the river.  His philosophy, from what I’ve gathered, is that vacant storefronts hinder development/redevelopment.  Well that’s fine and dandy.  BUT, I am concerned about the city’s ability to maintain the land once the structures are gone.  Green space?  They can’t maintain the green space we have now.  Parking lots?  Drive around downtown and look at the condition of city-owned lots let alone the parking structure.  Parts of downtown already look like a bombed-out warzone. 

Manufacturing buildings on the other hand are tricky.  For example, parts of Sorg Paper date back to the 1850s.   An even older Middletown Paperboard has buildings as old as the 1820s.  These buildings may not be suitable for modern manufacturing activities.  Now there was a good example of reuse of a former tobacco building new Middletown PaperBoard.  Gary Recker renovated it into his wood-working shop, and it looked really nice.  Too bad it burnt down because it could have been the start of an artist colony/loft development.  And Midwest Service is demolishing old and dilapidated buildings to their operations can be modernized.  That is a positive example of redevelopment as well.

I give AK Steel some credit (even though I am still disappointed they relocated their HQ out of Middletown).  But, at least for this phase anyway, they are funding the demolition and clean up out of their pockets.  And because they own the land, they will maintain it like the good Corporate Citizen they have been for the most part.  I would hate to see the historic HQ building taken down.  But what is appropriate re-use of the building?   Could it be converted to senior housing?  Could another University locate a branch there?   Maybe one that isn’t so local?   Go ahead and bring down the 1960s addition, but it would be nice to save the older section.

I’ve heard rumors that an individual in town (not on Council or working for the city) has proposed a “Habitat Village” for this site.  And many may be surprised to learn who that individual “supposedly” is.  Because I have not heard it first-hand, I will not mention any names.  But before this could happen though the organization would have to acquire the property and likely go through re-zoning as it must likely is not zone for residential.   Vivian, I have no clue what property you are talking about behind AK.  The only vacant land is their parking lot, and what appears to be a small parking lot to the south of the former Con-Tech HQ building.  There just isn’t, from what I can tell, a large vacant parcel of land.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2009 at 2:08pm
SWOhio75
    I believe it was a small vacant L shaped tract of land off
Garfield between Penfield and Forest or Jacoby. I can't find the map that I printed out.
    I think many of these older large homes should be given to Habit to restore for low income working families. I would willing to donate my time, labor and designs to a local project like this.
SupportMiddletown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SupportMiddletown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2009 at 11:42pm
Removed
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 12:10am
The powerhouse is picture #8
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 1:06pm
Why can't they take that one building (the big brick structure) and use it for apartments or something ?

I think all those buildings would have potential but if we had the right people who knew what to do with them besides demo everything in a 50 mile radius. Disapprove
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

I think all those buildings would have potential but if we had the right people who knew what to do with them besides demo everything in a 50 mile radius. Disapprove
City doesn't own it.  City shouldn't own it if you ask me.

Might be a nice senior citizens complex though.  Think about it.  There is already an auditorium.  There is  a cafeteria.  Large meeting rooms could be readapted. 
seemingly powerless View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seemingly powerless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 3:31pm
The building is a bear to heat and air condition, and is technically tied to others that are, at this time, occupied. 

Can someone tell me how to get to an article written by Paul Nagy calling for MK's job.  I cannot locate the article no matter how much time I spend.  
once you know what the right thing is to do, it should be impossible not to do so.....Seemingly Powerless
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2009 at 3:40pm
Go to City Council on this site. Go toward the bottom of the page under "Remove The City Planner". Should be Mr. Nagy's letter to Council.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2009 at 4:49pm
I dove past the old Middletown Ice and Coal at Curtis and Woodlawn today and it was sad to see it gone.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:14am
When I was a little kid in the early 50's, my grandparents always stopped and bought a cold watermelon from the 'ole Midd. Ice and Coal Company on Woodlawn. That was the thing to do on a hot summer afternoon back then. Kinda sad to see another one gone.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 11:11am

Yep Vet those were the days. My mother would send us down the street on our bikes to check if the big truck from Georgia was unloading those fresh watermelons at Middletown Ice & Coal. They would fill a big horse tank with ice and put the watermelons in and about an hour later they would be ice cold and wonderful!

409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 5:41pm
Remember it well. They would plug your watermelon if you so desired to check for ripeness. When I was a kid, I always wanted the first bite off of the plug. Good ole days!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic