FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Demolition / Canal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Demolition / Canal
    Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 2:44pm
With demolition taking place or about to take place, it would seem appropriate to recycle the concrete, brick and solids. Those that are not used for on-site back fill, would make great base fill for the hydraulic canal. While it would only be a start, at least the material would basically be free or low cost.
This would be particularly useful if they used a concrete crusher/separator like they used at the old hospital site.
Maybe a start to the solution of an old problem? Smile

Speaking of the old hospital area, I noticed Sammie's house up for sale today. The Highland Hysterical District must be getting too crime ridden! Or maybe going to Antrim Ct?
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2009 at 3:46pm
It's a great idea but "been there done that" with the city and the state. They said no old building materials could be used to line the canal due to cross contamination and  the reason the buildings are still standing is because of asbestos and other contaminations and this has to be done in an environmentally friendly safe manner according to the EPA.  Until they change that way of thinking I don't believe putting contaminated materials in the canal and burying it is no worse than what is already there. Keep up the good ideas, maybe they will catch on sooner or later. The city will start Phase 1 (of 5 that I know of) this coming year to relocate the discharge from the factory that is currently dumping into the canal further south of its current location. This will move the discharge onto city owned property and from my understanding without getting the rest of the details, then put up a backwall and start grading the canal so that the up to 675,000 gallons a day of legal contamination discharge will be pushed thru Smith Park, underneath Sorg, back to the river where it was intended to go in the first place.  Hope this little bit of information helps.
Gary Barge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic