FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown's Art District

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown's Art District
    Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 12:47pm
I'm positive, don't get me wrong.

Can someone explain the "Art District" though?  I don't get it?  My first thought would be that an "art district" is the last thing that would be appropriate for our downtown?

Stern%20Smile
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 2:32pm
Tudor when you get a clear answer let the rest of us know WHY?
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 3:27pm

ClapClapClapClap

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 5:08pm
Outside of the glass place/Waldens, I can't find any art outside of occasional childrens scribbling
Just where is the art in the "Got Art" area/arts district?
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 7:22pm
Got Art would be running a bulldozer though downtown and  see what figures the pile look like! Then Auntie Ann would have reasons to put flowers around a real dead area!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 8:18pm
In all seriousness why has the city latched onto this Art district kick.  Art and Middletown go together like Oil and Water.  I am not saying that to knock anyone it is just that Middletowns makeup does not lend itself to supporting an Art District.  They have talked about this for 5-6 years I have been here now and no one can give a convincing answer as to why it will work in Middletown and why it is basically the only idea they are running with.
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 8:32pm

From City web site

Date: Thursday, December 10, 2009
(All day or non-timed event)

Category: General

Description

Reunion Exhibit by graphic artist Sam Ashworth

Free and Open to the Public
Monday 9-4
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 9-9
Saturday 9-12

Isn't Sam Judy's Boy friend? Just saying that could be one reason
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 8:33pm
I think among the "well to doers" it's called prestige. Cool
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Mr. Dave View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 8:43pm
Yea and among the criminals its called people to rob  Ouch
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 9:51pm
I am ashamed to have to ask this as I thought that I was well-informed, but I've seen several references to "Walden's".  Who/what/where is "Walden's"???

PS:  I already know about Walden Pond (I was there shootin' the bull with Henry David) and I know Butch.  I'm referring to the one that is apparently in the former downtown Middletown.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 10:18pm
Mike His Gallery is located in the Beauverre building, very nice people.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2009 at 10:24pm
Hmm...I am not certain, but I think that a couple of his works might have been auctioned off during the Big Brothers/Big Sisters fundraiser at Carol's Speakeasy last week!!!  They were nicely done and probably went too cheap!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 6:49am
Mike- you remember Butch Walden from the 60's at MHS? I knew him too but lost track of him. He was married to Patti Miller (Mike's sister) at one time. Had a son- Lincoln, right? Patti went on to marry Bob Gage who died recently. What happened to Butch?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 6:58am
Pac - been wondering the same thing myself. Just don't see this blue-collar steel/low income/welfare town going for the arts thing. Never have. It's also ironic that at the same time the city leaders are trying to lure low income people for fed money and make this the welfare capital of SW Ohio, they are trying to create a cultural environment for the downtown with the arts. Kinda opposites, aren't they? These "artzy" people will have to rely on the out-of-town interest because, let's face it, there ain't an overabundance of cultured folks living in this town. Just more city leader ignorance.
TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 8:50am
Yeah, I could possibly even understand something like an "Industrial Art's District", or....

But to have pictures drawn with markers by homeless people in all the windows of our vacant downtown buildings, and to call it our "Art District" is just pathetic.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 9:05am
Vet - Well who said the blue-collar low income steel workers were invited to attend any of these artsy-fartsy art thingeys anyway ? If they wanted to invite low income blue collar types they'd have a tractor pull or maybe a tobacco spittin contest. Naw this artsy thing is for the well defined,the aristocratic,the well educated. With the mixture of low income section 8 & aristocrats it makes them feel even more important and then they can try to bring civility to the masses. People with money and those who think they have money need these type of things in order to maintain the natural order of importance within the community.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2009 at 9:27am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

What happened to Butch?
Vet,
The last I heard (which was a few years ago), he took an early retirement from AK and moved to the east coast of Florida.  Palm Bay, I believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic